weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

That makes an interesting abstract. Nice clean lens you have there :)

Wooo ... absolutely love it! A very striking image. :cool:

Lonely reflection shot. Well done.

The aperture gets so small that diffraction effects start degrading the image quality. Your image quality looks fine though!

It's only because I was using a modern lens (Nikkor 105mm Micro) that I was able to stop down so far so historically I didn't really know about diffraction limits. I have looked up the subject and there is a relation between the diffraction limits and the number of pixels in the sensor. My D810 has 36000 pixels (ish) so may be affected by diffraction as the lens is stopped down sand that's probably why I got away with it. I'll see for sure as this is a picture I am going to print out on A3 paper.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, we are always learning.

Last edited:
It's only because I was using a modern lens (Nikkor 105mm Micro) that I was able to stop down so far so historically I didn't really know about diffraction limits. I have looked up the subject and there is a relation between the diffraction limits and the number of pixels in the sensor. My D810 has 36000 pixels (ish) so may be affected by diffraction as the lens is stopped down sand that's probably why I got away with it. I'll see for sure as this is a picture I am going to print out on A3 paper.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, we are always learning.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss :ROFLMAO: Quality looks fine to me, but printing at A3 will be a good test.

I tend to limit myself to f/8 on my micro four thirds sensor and I couldn't quite remember why - I searched for a post I put on the Olympus thread and reminded myself.... post copied below.... I might need to go and lie down in a dark room now :LOL:

My understanding re diffraction is....

Diffraction occurs when the aperture becomes so small that the wave like properties of light come into play - as the light bends around the edges of the hole.

The f number is the focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture. This is irrespective of sensor size, so....

for a 12mm lens at f/8
Diameter = 12/8 = 1.5

for a 24mm lens at f/8
Diameter = 24/8 = 3

To get the same field of view, you'd use a 12mm on a m43 and a 24mm on a FF, so it would therefore appear that diffraction is worse on m43.... for the same field of view because the diameter of the 'hole' is smaller.

Reflection
I really like that. It's quite a simple shot, but has a nice look to it, the different layers of light reflection really are cool.

Very abstract - like it a lot!

And f38 only exists on my large format gear..! @Bebop's explanation of apertures etc above is spot on; I've always been suspicious of diffraction's real impact on sharpness given the wavelength of light Vs even a small aperture on a wide angle (visible light is 400-700 nanometers, and it takes one million nm to reach 1mm...)

It's a given thing in photography, and I believe it from the tests I've seen for pixel peeping, but in real life..? Not so sure...

Very abstract - like it a lot!

And f38 only exists on my large format gear..! @Bebop's explanation of apertures etc above is spot on; I've always been suspicious of diffraction's real impact on sharpness given the wavelength of light Vs even a small aperture on a wide angle (visible light is 400-700 nanometers, and it takes one million nm to reach 1mm...)

It's a given thing in photography, and I believe it from the tests I've seen for pixel peeping, but in real life..? Not so sure...

From what I read it affects the edges of things and of course edges can be as a thin as you like. My Nikkor 105mm Micro actually goes down to f45. quite incredible.

Rough. If it wasn't rough, it wouldn't grind.

Didn't really know which crop to use so here are both of them. Not as sharp as I would have liked but I was working in the dark and didn't really want to grind my hand off.

Rough-2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Rough by ShinySU, on Flickr

The second, as posted on the main thread, has wow factor. But now I see the bigger picture, illuminated hand and pattern to the flying sparks, I prefer it.

The second, as posted on the main thread, has wow factor. But now I see the bigger picture, illuminated hand and pattern to the flying sparks, I prefer it.

I agree.

Both have their merits, no favourite TBH.
Clever idea for the theme.

I like the wider view in the first as it gives the context. I assume if it isn’t rough then there will be no sparks?

It looks like a tricky shot to get on quite a few levels. Hope you finished unscathed!

I like the wider view in the first as it gives the context. I assume if it isn’t rough then there will be no sparks?

It looks like a tricky shot to get on quite a few levels. Hope you finished unscathed!

Things like this always look worse than they are. The big sparks come from tiny fragments and you can put your hand in them without too much discomfort -- not your eyes though, always wear safety glasses when grinding.

As @Cobra said above Martin, both have their merits but I like the inclusion of your hand in the first one. The first tells more of a story forme.

Two nice shots. I prefer #1 with the soft light on the hand. Good exposure on both.

Rough
The hand adds more context, so I would go for that one. It's a really good shot, I really like the sparks.

It would be the first one for me only because its a wider shot giving me a sense of you pushing the metal onto the grinder. It can't have been an easy shot (y) looks great

Not sure this counts as smooth but we'll try a shoehorn. The knob is slightly rough, the wood shavings are rough, practically everything is rough but, it's a smoothing plane.

Smooth by ShinySU, on Flickr

I don't think that's a shoehorn. The handle looks pretty smooth and well-worn to me. Some lovely textures in your shot and I like the soft colour and light.

Defo fits the theme - smoothing is what this tool is for!

The bright highlight is a bit overpowering though. Lovely tones and colours overall!

Yes, my immediate thought was ... it's a wood smoothing tool. I love it, good & tight in the frame, good colour and detail.

I don't think that's a shoehorn. The handle looks pretty smooth and well-worn to me. Some lovely textures in your shot and I like the soft colour and light.
It's certainly had some use, it was my father's plane when I was a kid and I'm 66 now.
Fits fine by me. Very nice colours and composition.
Thank you.
Defo fits the theme - smoothing is what this tool is for!

The bright highlight is a bit overpowering though. Lovely tones and colours overall!
It was originally worse than that, I had to crop in because the steel shank on the right had a completely burnt out section
Yes, my immediate thought was ... it's a wood smoothing tool. I love it, good & tight in the frame, good colour and detail.
It is a lovely colour isn't it.

Well I’m married to a carpenter so no probs for me :) This is definitely one of my favourites of the week, super close up shot of the shavings and the plane, a really pleasing image.

You are too kind. I am not a carpenter, I am an over-engineer because I over engineer everything, my walls could fall down but the shelves I put up would still be hanging there, right where I put them.

Alive/Low Key

It's a tomato plant that has recently sprouted.

Alive_LowKey by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really nice. I like the composition, and the subdued lighting. Great stuff.

Like that a lot, only a shame it's not a nicer pot rather than the plastic one. But lighting is perfect.

Like that a lot, only a shame it's not a nicer pot rather than the plastic one. But lighting is perfect.
Unfortunately this particular plant wasn't aware it was going to be on the internet and has not dressed accordingly ;)

Nicely captured seedling Martin

Smooth
The patterns in the wood curls are great, I don't know if a wider shot showing more of the plane would be beneficial, it's always a quandary as to where to crop.

Alive
Nice lighting bringing out the detail in the seedling

Smooth
I like it. It's definitely a good choice for the theme, a planer is for smoothing.

Alive
Another good choice. I think if you'd got a bit more light on the seedling, it would be a bit of a stronger image.

Back