weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

Pattern
I'm going to go for the carpark. I like it's simplicity and arrows.

Pattern
I'm going to go for the carpark. I like it's simplicity and arrows.

Thanks for looking. I'm ambivalent, I like the car park but I love my garden too.

The carpark shot fits the brief more for me, It's a great image too, for it's simplicity I think.

i think i'm also in the Car Park 'camp' with this one. Nice drone shots

The carpark shot fits the brief more for me, It's a great image too, for it's simplicity I think.
i think i'm also in the Car Park 'camp' with this one. Nice drone shots

Just getting used to the drone so these shots are initial experiments. Thanks for looking.

Up Close

Thought about trying to get a photo through the microscope but then thought I'd take one of the microscope instead. I thought blue rather than white light lent a more scientific aspect to the image.

While I had the scope out I decided to have a look at some creatures that had set up home on my apple trees. Turned out they were some sort of aphid and under a microscope looked like something out of a horror film; still alive and moving, ew!

Up Close by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Up Close
Its definitely a device to get "close up" and great detail on the lens. With the lighting I would have either preferred all three lens (I'm sure there is another name for it) to be blue or the selected one. Having two out of three unbalances it a bit. It looks a very professional microscope, I've noticed on ebay you can get that type of lens and suitable adapters to allow images to be taken using a standard digital camera.

Up Close
Its definitely a device to get "close up" and great detail on the lens. With the lighting I would have either preferred all three lens (I'm sure there is another name for it) to be blue or the selected one. Having two out of three unbalances it a bit. It looks a very professional microscope, I've noticed on ebay you can get that type of lens and suitable adapters to allow images to be taken using a standard digital camera.

The third lens has been lit by the microscope light itself and has rather over-powered the blue light. It wasn't too expensive a microscope as microscopes go, it's a Brunel SP22 and costs about £111; it's pretty good though and well-built.

Up close a double whammy there Martin, a close up of something that looks "up close" (y)

Turned out they were some sort of aphid and under a microscope looked like something out of a horror film;
Indeed when I started getting into Macro, it was easy to see where the horror film directors get their ideas for "monsters"

An interesting take on the theme which works very well. I like the blue light, very sci-fi like

Pete

An interesting take on the theme which works very well. I like the blue light, very sci-fi like

Pete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Doubly up close... I like the dof and point of focus. It makes a striking image.

Doubly up close... I like the dof and point of focus. It makes a striking image.

I thought so too, thanks for looking.

Really good up close image. I really like the feel the blue lighting gives and bang on theme. It’s reminded me I’ve got an old microscope packed away some, I might have to dig it out and have a play :)

Really good up close image. I really like the feel the blue lighting gives and bang on theme. It’s reminded me I’ve got an old microscope packed away some, I might have to dig it out and have a play :)

It's another world in there, quite a disturbing one sometimes.

Great idea!
The blue lighting says 'science' too!

I have a screw-in LED light that cost thirteen pounds that can emit ten colours, so for things like this I can quickly flick through to see what works best and the blue definitely
came out top.

Patterns - really like both shots. Car Park fits the theme perfectly, but I enjoyed seeing the pattern in your garden. We have also planted some wild flowers - we thought the frost might have seen them off, but we are hopeful they have survived.

Close up - I like the depth of field you've chosen and that looks like a great bit of kit.The blue light works well. I have kept my children's' microscope that one day I thought I might play with. They're adults now and the pressure is on to charity shop it, but I am still resisting :)

Patterns - really like both shots. Car Park fits the theme perfectly, but I enjoyed seeing the pattern in your garden. We have also planted some wild flowers - we thought the frost might have seen them off, but we are hopeful they have survived.

Close up - I like the depth of field you've chosen and that looks like a great bit of kit.The blue light works well. I have kept my children's' microscope that one day I thought I might play with. They're adults now and the pressure is on to charity shop it, but I am still resisting :)

Strangely, it doesn't cost that much to buy a reasonable consumer microscope so I'm afraid your chosen charity shop would not get much for it. Just sling a skin cell, a drop of blood or an insect wing in it, it's like looking at another world.

This isn't an arty picture, as pictures go there is nothing really technically brilliant, nothing artistically excellent in this image, but it IS personal.

You've all met Juno before (the dog on the right as you look at the picture), she is incredibly photogenic and very pretty (and she knows it), but the dog on the left, Ollie, is the real subject of this picture. After our Collie, Bisley, died, we wanted another dog -- I've had dogs almost all my life -- and I've always tried to rescue dogs and Ollie came into the picture.

We got him from a dog rescue and was sold to us under false pretences. He was a nasty, savage beast that would try to bite anything he didn't know, me included in his time. They had him for three months and I cannot believe he didn't go for someone in that time but the dog's home people said nothing (although the home checkers let something slip and said it was not the first time he'd been re-homed). The first inkling that things were far from good was on the day we went to pick him up. A man at the reception came towards him and put his hand out to say hello to the dog who immediately jumped at the guy's throat with teeth bared, something he did to other people several times over the next few months. He hated people, cats, other dogs; he was a bloody nightmare.

I could go on, as the story is long and arduous, about how I encouraged, trained -- both him and myself -- and despaired sometimes, over the years, but in the end, I won; we both won. He is at the stage now where if no one bothers him he will bother no one and he has turned out to be rather a nice dog -- but don't push it or you'll know about it.

He is my 'personal' triumph. Of all the dogs I have had he is the one in which I have invested most of myself. He was never going to go back to the dog's home, it's not what I do, although people thought I was mad to keep him. They would only have put him to sleep he was so bad. I took him on and he was damn-well going to become my dog even if we both died trying.

So, it's not a brilliant picture but it is indeed very personal.

Personal by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great personal back story Martin
( also been there done that)
They were very wrong not to give you full disclosure, but patience won in the end (y)

For me - photography is all about the personal. Every photo I take is for me. It's very nice to get compliments and positive feedback, but as a non-professional, I'm the only true judge of my work.

Photos like this make me smile, because that story is now attached to the photo in my head. Perhaps giving them a bit more space in the frame would balance it a bit more - regardless of any background clutter as I think in this instance, it all adds context. The two dogs are clearly different personalities and whilst they look similar in markings, they are also very different. I like how one dog has ears flat against the head, while the other is alert and focussed.

Good for you for persisting with a tricky temperament. It can't be a nice life wanting to attack everything and if you've given Ollie a chance at a bit of peace & serenity that can only be good for him.

Very personal. I like it.

Great back story - well done! And a nice pooch pic too :)

That's a great story Martin and really well done on your persistence to help him. You seem to have brought out the personalities of both dogs by the stance and expressions .

Good on you Martin for Staying with him on your journey together, so nice to hear how it worked out.

As a photo I like it, lots of personality showing from both dogs.

Pete

Great personal back story Martin
( also been there done that)
They were very wrong not to give you full disclosure, but patience won in the end (y)
For me - photography is all about the personal. Every photo I take is for me. It's very nice to get compliments and positive feedback, but as a non-professional, I'm the only true judge of my work.

Photos like this make me smile, because that story is now attached to the photo in my head. Perhaps giving them a bit more space in the frame would balance it a bit more - regardless of any background clutter as I think in this instance, it all adds context. The two dogs are clearly different personalities and whilst they look similar in markings, they are also very different. I like how one dog has ears flat against the head, while the other is alert and focussed.

Good for you for persisting with a tricky temperament. It can't be a nice life wanting to attack everything and if you've given Ollie a chance at a bit of peace & serenity that can only be good for him.

Very personal. I like it.
Great back story - well done! And a nice pooch pic too :)
That's a great story Martin and really well done on your persistence to help him. You seem to have brought out the personalities of both dogs by the stance and expressions .
Good on you Martin for Staying with him on your journey together, so nice to hear how it worked out.

As a photo I like it, lots of personality showing from both dogs.

Pete

Thanks for the messages, Ollie is presently fast asleep on the sofa and Juno is lying on the upstairs windowsill watching the world go by outside.

Personal
Really good story to go with the photo. Ok, so it may not be artsy, but there's really nothing wrong the way it is.

That's a lovely story and I am appalled that they didn't disclose his behaviour beforehand, but it sounds lucky for him that they didn't.

I love that you have both dogs undivided attention. You can see the connection.

That's a lovely story and I am appalled that they didn't disclose his behaviour beforehand, but it sounds lucky for him that they didn't.

I love that you have both dogs undivided attention. You can see the connection.
Yes, he is a lucky bugger as he stumbled upon people who know dogs and can handle a challenge. He's a lovely boy now with people he knows, just don't try to break in ;).

A really nice backstory, and it was all the better for a happy ending. Can see you have both their attention, do they interact together well now?

A really nice backstory, and it was all the better for a happy ending. Can see you have both their attention, do they interact together well now?

They do, Juno is a good match for him, puts him in his place.

Green/Neg Space

Underneath the old Severn Bridge. The neg space bit is a bit of a shoehorn as I've had nothing all quarter to make a proper negative space photo. This is less negative space as empty space, not really the same but it'll have to do.

Green-Neg Space by ShinySU, on Flickr

Snappers Choice

This is part of the castle at Wells in Somerset, I just like it, The weather was calm and warm and I think it is quite picturesque, if a little clichéd.

Snappers Choice 2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two nice shots... I can't decide if the bridge needs a straightening tweak?? The castle shot is very serene.

Looking Down/HDR

This is not the shot I had in my head when I went to get it. It's a drone shot looking south east from 'The Cheesewring' on Bodmin Moor. I wanted to get much higher and much closer to the Cheesewring edifice and take a better version of the shot at the bottom of this post but the wind was too high for my little drone and it was struggling so this one will have to do. I have also had a try at the HDR thing but only on the one shot so it's not like it could be with multiple images at different EV's; I'll try again later this quarter if the right image comes up.

Looking Down-HDR by ShinySU, on Flickr

The shot I wanted but nothing like I really wanted. That pile of stones is 'The Cheesewring'. It maybe about four metres high, the cliff is maybe 40 or 50 metres to the bottom -- you wouldn't want to fall off the top.

Looking Down-HDR2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good stuff - looks like my kinda country!

Good stuff - looks like my kinda country!

I am lucky to be living here, this scenery is everywhere and one is never more than 25 minutes from the sea in Cornwall, although I really prefer the moors.

They both work for me Martin (y)
#2 has the slight edge for me, purely for the ruggedness.

Back