Show us yer film shots then!

Feeling a little less like a fraud hanging out in F&C after the last couple of days of playing around...

Five Roses (Portra 160NC)
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Quite pleasantly surprised with the Portra, Considering it's one of the rolls that went on the Homeless Holga epic trip around the uk, and it'd basically been sat in sorting offices or on peoples coffee-tables waiting for posting on to the next victim for a good year or more, then came home and sat in my camera bag rather than the fridge for the next two...

Lovely faded colours on this Mark.... I like it(y)

I decided to try to get some star trails shots while in the Austrian Alps this week. Oddly enough, I think that Fuji Acros 100 might be too fast for this kind of photography—or at least it's faster than I expected anyway—and I probably should have stopped down a bit. I also shot some colour film, but I'll have to wait a week or two to get those back from the lab before I can see how that worked out.

Fab shot RJ....

Sweet !

Don't see many star trails on b/w

There is always that conflict of exposure, the longer it is the lighter the sky gets.

I've often wondered if a red filter would hold the sky back and make the star trails stand out more, even though its at night, never tried it :)

Fab shot RJ....

Thanks, Lee!

Sweet !

Don't see many star trails on b/w

There is always that conflict of exposure, the longer it is the lighter the sky gets.

I've often wondered if a red filter would hold the sky back and make the star trails stand out more, even though its at night, never tried it :)

Thanks! I took a few with colour film as well, although I'm not quite as sure how they're going to turn out, as I tried to include an Alpine town at the bottom of those frames. I did use a grad filter to try to balance the exposure of the town lights compared with the sky, but I'm not quite sure if will have been enough.

The biggest problem with these black and white frames was that I used Compard R09 (Rodinal equivalent) for the first time for this film and I think I might have overdeveloped the roll.

The biggest problem with these black and white frames was that I used Compard R09 (Rodinal equivalent) for the first time for this film and I think I might have overdeveloped the roll.

Why, what do they look like, don't say grainy, I've bought some RO9 to use as a one shot thinking the grain won't be too bad on 100 film..
Xtol is beau but mixing and storage is inconvenient

Why, what do they look like, don't say grainy, I've bought some RO9 to use as a one shot thinking the grain won't be too bad on 100 film..

Rodinal is fine, I shoot most of my 100 stuff in rodinal.

I'm not blaming the developer, but the person doing the developing. The grain wasn't anything too surprising, but nearly all of the frames on the film itself look a little darker than expected.

Rodinal is fine, I shoot most of my 100 stuff in rodinal.
Rodinal was a bit grainy for me on 35mm, haven't use R09 before.

I'm not blaming the developer, but the person doing the developing. The grain wasn't anything too surprising, but nearly all of the frames on the film itself look a little darker than expected.

well, over exposure ? or processing error, it is awkward using a developer you aren't familiar with for the first time.

well, over exposure ? or processing error, it is awkward using a developer you aren't familiar with for the first time.

I didn't even have a thermometer when I developed these, as it apparently broke some time since the last film I developed two weeks ago, so it's likely a processing error. I just assumed that room temperature was about 19 degrees and went from there.

oh gawd, you have to assume you mixed correctly, but temperature is anybody's guess, maybe you can replicate what you did when you souped them and get a temp, with a temp you can learn something, without it its a c'est la vie job..:)

This is one of many massive conveyor drives that powers the conveyor belts which in turn transport the coal to the surface coal preparation area. The large tube to the right of the drive is a ventilation ducting which supplies oxygen to the coal face and tunnels. Shot on Kodak Portra 400 ASA - 120 film.

Another amazing image, Mart. Are these current or past images, and if so, how long ago?

Another amazing image, Mart. Are these current or past images, and if so, how long ago?

Thanks Chris!
This picture was taken just over two and a half years ago, the mine has since closed due to a massive underground fire. You might remember seeing it on the news at the time.

Finally got round to scanning some shots from the first few rolls I've shot with the Mamiya 645AFD. All images were taken with the standard 80mm at f2.8 between November and December last year.

The camera handles nicely and hasn't missed a beat so far. The scans however have not come out well, my V500 has been knocked around a bit too much and is kicking out consistently soft images, I'm going to run the films through the Cezanne at some point though.

Some OOD Provia 400X

IMG018_zpswsbhlkvc.jpg

IMG021_zpsf6f1aezr.jpg

IMG025_zpsisc95efb.jpg

IMG026_zpsm8au9lnd.jpg

Some Portra 160 exposed as 400 but not push devved.

IMG002_zpsg3arnkzj.jpg

Some OOD Velvia 100

IMG008_zps4nb4xnzb.jpg

The sky is a lot bluer in the slide but the poor V500 couldn't handle it.

IMG011_zpstdo63amm.jpg

Any comments welcome

I like these, it looks like the Mamiya performs well, of the set I like the 3,4 and 5 the most. I am also always impressed with OOD Provia 400,great colours!

I like these, it looks like the Mamiya performs well, of the set I like the 3,4 and 5 the most. I am also always impressed with OOD Provia 400,great colours!

Cheers Jao! I need to get through some more film and tinker with the multitude of custom functions inside :)
I've come to really like Provia 400, shame it's discontinued though...

Finally got round to scanning some shots from the first few rolls I've shot with the Mamiya 645AFD. All images were taken with the standard 80mm at f2.8 between November and December last year.

The camera handles nicely and hasn't missed a beat so far. The scans however have not come out well, my V500 has been knocked around a bit too much and is kicking out consistently soft images, I'm going to run the films through the Cezanne at some point though.

Any comments welcome

I've gotta say Rob, the second and fourth ones are crackers in my book, really pleasing to the eye, as it were.

IMG002_zpsg3arnkzj.jpg

Loving the shot of your alarm clock Rob.

Excellent set Rob.

I suspect that that is no alarm clock... It may actually be the one lab disaster that gives Rob World domination.

an oldie from me... back in 1996 I did a short stint as a relief ships photographer... there's a set of shots over in the #ThrowbackThursday thread, but I thought i'd drop this one in here as well...

Oldies-8
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Think I overdid the Polarising filter... Velvia 100 and a polariser with mediterranean skies is a heady brew...

:LOL: it does look a little that way, doesn't it... from memory of ships routine, it'd have been around 5:30pm, allowing the guests time to get back onboard, shower, shave and spruce up prior to a couple of pre-dinner G&T's...

@TheBigYin Where was that shot Mark??

The headland resembles somewhere I know very well that is only a stones throw from where I live

I haven't popped in here for a while, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Got a nice little Yashica Mat at Christmas, needed some square format fun... a few recent shots

DevokeWater_yashica_01 by D_M_J, on Flickr

Wast_Water_yashica_08 by D_M_J, on Flickr

Wast_Water_yashica_02 by D_M_J, on Flickr

Wast_Water_yashica_05 by D_M_J, on Flickr

All Ilford HP5 // Kodak HC-110 (B)

Cheers,
.David.

I'm a bit slow to react but just wanted to comment. These are really stunning!

Some OOD Provia 400X

IMG018_zpswsbhlkvc.jpg

IMG021_zpsf6f1aezr.jpg

IMG025_zpsisc95efb.jpg

IMG026_zpsm8au9lnd.jpg

Some Portra 160 exposed as 400 but not push devved.

IMG002_zpsg3arnkzj.jpg

Some OOD Velvia 100

IMG008_zps4nb4xnzb.jpg

The sky is a lot bluer in the slide but the poor V500 couldn't handle it.

IMG011_zpstdo63amm.jpg

Any comments welcome

I love the shot of the little mushrooms in the plant pot :D

@TheBigYin Where was that shot Mark??

The headland resembles somewhere I know very well that is only a stones throw from where I live

I think that particular one was taken on the "out and back" one week Cruise - one week it sailed "Venice, Kotor, Corfu, Rome, Monte Carlo, Genoa", then the following week reversed the route... Other than knowing it wasn't at either end, frankly, 26 years on, I can't for the life of me remember which of the stopovers it was... (indeed, I just had to google the routes up to refresh my memory... I knew I had to fly out there to get to Venice...) Everything was a complete blur of not knowing where I was, what I was doing, or where the hell anything onboard the vessel was... All I did was run around taking photo's of people or feed films into the minilab and put the finished shots out on the easels for people to pick up the following day.

Last edited:
I think that particular one was taken on the "out and back" one week Cruise - one week it sailed "Venice, Kotor, Corfu, Rome, Monte Carlo, Genoa", then the following week reversed the route... Other than knowing it wasn't at either end, frankly, 26 years on, I can't for the life of me remember which of the stopovers it was... Everything was a complete blur of not knowing where I was, what I was doing, or where the hell anything onboard the vessel was... All I did was run around taking photo's of people or feed films into the minilab and put the finished shots out on the easels for people to pick up the following day.

Up until quite recently when the Prince of Monaco had piers built large enough to accomodate cruisers, they always berthed in the bay at Villefranche sur Mer ( simply because the bay is sufficiently deep naturally to acomodate these vessels), where the little "navettes" would transfer passengers to shore.

From there they would visit Monaco and other places of interest by train or buses that were laid on.

The headland and lighthouse look to be of Cap Ferrat which is the peninsular that protudes out to sea to the east of Villefranche.

Monaco is a little further beyond along the coast.

that sounds about right, yep... though, as I say, it's all a little hazy in what passes for a brain for me these days.

Back