1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andysnap

Andysnap POTY (Film) 2015

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Jao, simon ess, ariel7515 and 10 others like this.
  2. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    One I forgot about from a trip to Teesdale a few months ago:

[​IMG]
    Stuck stick
    by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Yashicamat 124G and Tri-X

Craigus, Knikki, srichards and 14 others like this.
  3. donut

donut

Edit My Images:
    No
    tis if you ve got a telescope,,,,,,,and how did you manage to take any photos on a Voigtländer,,,,,they dont normally stay in your little grubbies long enough !!!

Andysnap likes this.
  4. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
  5. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Official Forum Idiot 2013 & 2014

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Loving that, just about perfect.

Kevin Allan likes this.
  6. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ems.JPG A Boat.

Hasselblad 503, 80mm cfe, fuji velvia 100.

How do I get the picture in the post bigger?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    narbs, simon ess, ariel7515 and 6 others like this.
  7. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    harbour.JPG Hasselblad 503, 80mm cfe, fuji velvia 100.

Emsworth Harbour.

8. mothdust

mothdust

Name:
    Charlotte
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Tony :) You can host your file externally (on something like http://imgur.com) and link directly to it, which means you can set the size. Or, as you have done, you can attach it to your post. We can click on your attachment and see it in a larger size - it looks fine as it is! Beautiful shot.

soupdragon likes this.
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    cornland.JPG Somewhere in Cornwall.
    Canon A-1 Kodachrome 25 (those were the days)

10. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If you're uploading a photo directly to the forum, click the "Full Image" instead of "Thumbnail" option, e.g.

Capture.JPG

mothdust and soupdragon like this.
  11. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    mothdust, narbs, Mr Badger and 13 others like this.
  12. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
  13. ariel7515

ariel7515

Name:
    Ariel
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    KIEV 60 + Arsat C 80mm f/2.8 + Ilford FP4 Plus 125 + D-76 (1+1)

[​IMG]

Jao, simon ess, Robclarke and 3 others like this.
  14. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Had to go to Birmingham one day last week ... 7 hours on the train ... 4 hours in a meeting ... 10 minutes of that was interesting / useful ... and half an hour for photography before the return train.

[​IMG]
    When I'm cleaning windows

Olympus 35RC and Ilford FP4+

15. Robclarke

Robclarke

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  16. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have recently (last week) bought a Chinese Phenix rangefinder camera (apparently made in the Seagull factory). It is very reminiscent of a Japanese rangefinder from the late 50s or early 60s. I am really impressed with it. The only fault is the rangefinder itself. This worked fine during my initial examination of the camera but once I loaded film, all trace of the rangefinder spot in the viewfinder disappeared. These shots are either focused at infinity (most of them) or I have guessed the distance (obviously badly with the push bike). Film is Agfa Vista+ developed and scanned by Snappy Snaps in Lincoln.

Phenix-01-1_edited-1.jpg Phenix-07-1_edited-1.jpg Phenix-12-1_edited-1.jpg Phenix-14-1_edited-1.jpg Phenix-16.jpg

17. simon ess

simon ess

Edit My Images:
    No
  18. simon ess

simon ess

Edit My Images:
    No
    pentaxpete, kendo1, ariel7515 and 5 others like this.
  19. Andysnap

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wista 45 Field, Fujinon 135mm f5.6, OOD Kodak Portra 160NS.

[​IMG]Tin-Shed by Andy, on Flickr

pentaxpete, kendo1, narbs and 15 others like this.
  20. Andysnap

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wista 45 Field, Fujinon 135mm f5.6, OOD Kodak Portra 160NS.

[​IMG]Lake-Bala-1 by Andy, on Flickr

Craigus, mothdust, narbs and 8 others like this.
  21. medwaygreen

medwaygreen

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Andy,

These two 4X5 photographs are with out doubt the best I have seen for a very long time.

The first has great dappled sunlight,with a very good background and the focal point of the shed, make the photograph look very lord of the rings.

The second is a great landscape and some may say,you should have cropped differently,I say congratulations, great large format work.

Andysnap likes this.
  22. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
  23. Andysnap

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you Richard, very kind of you. I was very lucky with the weather and I was on my own so had plenty of time to make sure I got settings and composition as right as I could.

24. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    1953 Ensign Selfix 820, Kodak Ektar 100. (Taken almost into the sun)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    pentaxpete, mothdust, narbs and 6 others like this.
  25. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
  26. StephenM

StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Two and three taken together tell a depressing (to me) story. More of a sad indictment, really.

27. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Glad it works OK, Nige, some nice shots there. I find my Yashica 635 seems to like Fuji Neopan Acros 100 and Ektar 100, so perhaps give them a try in your 124G on a sunny day and see what you think?

FishyFish likes this.
  28. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks. Acros is something on my list to try (120 or 135), but which I haven't gotten around to yet. I'd originally planned on shooting a roll of FP4 that I already had, but the weather was a little dull when I went out, so I picked up some HP5. Lo and behold, after loading the film, the Sun did appear, meaning I was forced to shoot most pictures at f/11 or higher and lose out on some of the shallower DOF look I was hoping for. As a result there's one shot on the roll that's very busy and a bit overexposed, but apart from that and the first shot on the roll that was accidentally double-exposed due to the idiot (me) who loaded the camera incorrectly, all the rest have come out fairly well. Not prize-winners by any stretch, but decent enough for my trial run.

I'll post a few more tomorrow.

Mr Badger likes this.
  29. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Developed a roll of Ilford SFX200 tonight, shot in a Yashicamat 124G.
    This shot with a Hoya R72 filter; developed in Rollei RHS D74-DC and had to guess a development time of 7minutes at 19C as there was no published data.

[​IMG]
    Infrared Seaton Delaval

30. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
  31. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Would you care to expand on that, Stephen? I'm not a religious man myself, and much of the actual meaning of the symbolism goes over my head past a basic level of understanding, but I find churches to be interesting and often beautiful places so I'd love to know what you took from my pictures. It's always nice to know that a picture can have meaning beyond it just being a photograph.

32. StephenM

StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Certainly - but it will run the risk of opening a debate on religion which I think is against the spirit (and rules) of this section of the site.

When it comes to finding meaning(s) in an image, there are always two sides: the intent of the the producer and the understanding of the viewer. Getting any sort of correspondance will depend on at least some common ground of understanding (even if the producer has to provide it in a statement). In this case, it will be the viewer providing the statement. One theologian made a cutting remark about those who practiced eisegesis rather than exegesis of the text; eis- (from Greek) measning "reading into" rather than ex- meaning "drawing out from". This may be an example of eisegesis :D. Actually, I'm sure it is.

My starting point is the difference between the two crosses at the church. The front view - the first impression made - shows the cross as not a symbol of Christ's sacrifice to redeem the church but as a useful object to hang out the washing to dry. A symbol emptied of all significance. If it does promote anything, it's sacerdotal garments and hence the importance of the clergy and the relative unimportance of Christ to the church. This is strengthened by placing a clearer reference to Christ only at the back of the church - Christ is relegated to the back of the church, almost thrown out of the back door.

Additionally (and here we are entering more completely into my religious views) it's a crucifix and not a bare cross. That is a Roman Catholic symbol not a protestant one for a very important theological reason. Protestants (at least those who like me share the beliefs of the protestant reformers) regard the death of Christ as a sacrifice once offered, never to be repeated (the clear teaching of the letter to the Hebrews), and validated as accepted by the resurrection. Hence the empty cross signifies the atonement. In Roman Catholic (and high church Anglican) theology on the other hand, Christ's sacrifice isn't a once and for all event; it lacks power and needs to be repeated by a priest in the mass. Hence the importance of the clergy. I can therefore see this as minimising Christ even more, and enhancing the power and importance of the clergy by putting Christ at the back, and making sacerdotal vestments the first symbol of the church seen. A church that exalts the priest and dethrones Christ.

Other interpretations are possible; this is mine.

Andysnap and FishyFish like this.
  33. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for that Stephen, that's enlightening. Not being religious myself, a lot of the meaning of these objects passes me by, but it's always good to gain an understanding of what they mean to others. The church is not one I've ever visited before (just driven past it a few times) as the village where it stands is a little off the beaten track, but there is some background and history on the place here: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/ulley-holy-trinity/

34. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think for a moment that the vestments were draped on the cross to dry, I think it was done to symbolise the love they have for Christ, and their 'closeness' to him, and that Christ's love will prevail. To me, seeing the vestment draped tenderly over the cross like that also gives me the impression of a symbolic disarming of a weapon of death, something along the lines of that powerful photograph of the hippy girl placing a flower down the barrel of a soldier's rifle during the anti-Vietnam war protests in the 1960s. Anyway, that's my interpretation. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  35. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, they were definitely not just thrown over a cross. The cross also has what appears to be a crown of thorns. I'd assumed that it was something placed there in reference to Easter (although I may be showing my ignorance there) - the same cross and vestements can be seen on the Google Streetview shot of the church taken in April last year: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48799e1e1ad45151:0xc0f642ff1b9744af!2m19!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m13!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/ulley+church/@53.3827321,-1.3016358,3a,75y,351.97h,90t/data=*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sFnehEpV6HrL0z7mO1-rd8Q*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xc0f642ff1b9744af!5sulley+church+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sFnehEpV6HrL0z7mO1-rd8Q&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBgoK1or_TAhWkAsAKHTKEBnYQpx8IcTAK

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  36. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Snip
    I can see how other interpretations could be arrived at though. Anyway, this is getting a bit 'deep' for a Tuesday morning, so perhaps we should move on and post some more photos? :)

RaglanSurf and FishyFish like this.
  37. Andysnap

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Go on then, more photos it is.

Another from last weekend with the Wista and the 135mm fujinon.
    [​IMG]The-Bridge by Andy, on Flickr

ariel7515, Knikki, excalibur2 and 5 others like this.
  38. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's always a good idea. :)

Mr Badger likes this.
  39. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Another from Seaton Delaval Hall:

[​IMG]
    Mind the steps

Yashicamat 124G and Ilford SFX200 (no filter this time)

Woodsy, ariel7515, Knikki and 9 others like this.
  40. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No