Show us yer film shots then!

Untitled.jpg

That's what I just got with the dropper tool in PS. You're right, there is a magenta cast! I have to be honest though, on my monitor I can barely detect that by eye, but fully appreciate monitors are different! The red circle is roughly where the dropper was placed.

So wait, is it there or isn’t it? I’m confused :confused:

Its very straightforward, there are only actually four colours, blue, yellow, beige and a muddy brown. If you see any other colours you should consult an optician as there is obviously a problem with your eyes. :)

Oh dear, sorry Jonathan, I didn't mean to provoke such controversy. The original comment was provoked (in part) because I have rarely shot slide film without getting a magenta cast somewhere. I'm now learning that what I see may be significantly affected by an un-clibrated Mac screen.

I was also wondering what you get if you place the dropper on the bottom left hand corner of the image in #20642 (shaded part of white foam)?

Oh dear, sorry Jonathan, I didn't mean to provoke such controversy. The original comment was provoked (in part) because I have rarely shot slide film without getting a magenta cast somewhere. I'm now learning that what I see may be significantly affected by an un-clibrated Mac screen.

I was also wondering what you get if you place the dropper on the bottom left hand corner of the image in #20642 (shaded part of white foam)?

Colour balance is a minefield. Even if we were all in the same room looking at the slide projected onto a pure white background using a daylight bulb (which of course we don't as we use tungsten or halogen) we might still have fun deciding if there was a cast or not. Apart from red/green colour vision deficiency 1 in 12 men (1 in 200 women) there is the problem of perception. Our brains unconsciously interpret the signals we get from the receptors in the eye and adjust our perception. So for example we see a piece of white paper as white even when lit by full sun, in shade, or sunset. That can even occur within the same field of view. Add to all that the setting in the conversion from slide to digital, us using different monitors, graphics cards and sitting in differently lit rooms it is a wonder we can even agree that those are waves. The acid test could be does it look like @Woodsy remembers.

Balancing by choosing a neutral white or grey area can help if you know what is supposed to be neutral. In some of these pictures you have white wave foam lit by reddish sunset light on one side and in the shadow lit by blue sky. That is almost a recipe for purple. For the comparison below I chose a thin vertical strip, not seeing the whole picture avoids some of the messing around the brain does. Then chose the crest of the wave where it changed from lit to shadow which is a subjective choice in itself but might be closest to neutral white.

comparison.jpg

Strip 1 is the screen capture off Flickr

Strip 2 I adjusted by reducing magenta (increasing green) by about 10 units in Photoshop so that the top of the wave came out neutral (that does mess with brightness a bit and would only be a first step)

Strip 3 is what Photoshop does if you tell it to auto adjust colour,

The numbers ARE neutral white.

@ChrisR is right, there's a pinky magenta tinge going on in those last two, more so the second one. It could possibly be the light from the sunset, but as I wasn't there this is just a guess.

It's really no drama chap! :D

I'll have a look at the bit you mention in a sec and upload another dropper analysis.

I've re-edited a few of these and will make replacements on flickr shortly. Tiny edits though, so don't get your hopes up :D

And my current monopolising of this thread continues.....

Ross Ensign 16-20 on Ektar.

A couple of versions of this one, black and white first -
The Old Shed Sepia by Andy, on Flickr

and a slightly coloured version as well, thoughts?
The Old Shed by Andy, on Flickr

! am well aware that the 'magenta' issue may raise its head again but I can't see it and if you tell me its there I can't do anything about getting rid of it so its best to keep it to yourself ;):D

Sizergh Castle 1 by Andy, on Flickr

Stepping Stones 2 by Andy, on Flickr

Forest Bridge by Andy, on Flickr

and finally a couple more from the Baby Rollei

Sunday Drivers by Andy, on Flickr

Fordson by Andy, on Flickr

I am still amazed at how good the little Ross Ensign is, especially as it only cost me a fiver.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very good set Andy, what film did you use in the baby Rollei as it performs very well. You have got to love Ektar and those first two conversions are very nice indeed, I am in favour of the first one.(y)

Meanwhile back in dudley. :) Olympus Omn1 35-70 F3.6 Kodak Pro-Image 100

WJpY0YF.jpg

Last edited:
"Camping" is "camp" + "gin" (anagram) isn't it? Heated by a spirit stove? :D:exit:

Bloomin' 'eck Fraser, that's lovely. And IMHO the framing works extremely well, too. (y)(y)(y)

Some of my test shots from my "new" Ars Acon rangefinder camera. Dates from 1956/8 or so I am told. An excellent piece of kit. Film was Agfa Vista+ now a couple of years out of date.

This first one is a test of the rangefinder - focusing on the finial. Still in good adjustment after 60+ years.
Acon-16.jpg
Acon-6.jpg Acon-25.jpg Acon-11.jpg

Last edited:
Some of my test shots from my "new" Ars Acon rangefinder camera. Dates from 1956/8 or so I am told. An excellent piece of kit.

This first one is a test of the rangefinder - focusing on the finial. Still in good adjustment after 60+ years.
View attachment 130602
View attachment 130603 View attachment 130605 View attachment 130604

Looking good John - excellent results from an 'older' camera and a relief to know the rangefinder doesn't need adjusting. Exposures also look good so shutter must be accurate as well :)

Last edited:
Looking good John - excellent results from an 'older' camera and a relief to know the rangefinder doesn't need adjusting. Exposures also look good so shutter must be accurate as well :)
Scans cover a multitude of sins but looking at the negatives, they are about the right density. Also says plenty about my trusty Leningrad meter.

First proper photos from the Rollei that I picked up from @Andysnap

Just a brief evening walk around the village as I get my knee back to full fitness... The last one is over sharpened (still getting used to scanning) but I'm pretty happy with them. Both will get entered into the village show under "Village Life" :)

Around The Village: WCC
by Ian, on Flickr

Around The Village: St Mary's
by Ian, on Flickr

Rolleiflex Automat, Ektar 100

First proper photos from the Rollei that I picked up from @Andysnap

Just a brief evening walk around the village as I get my knee back to full fitness... The last one is over sharpened (still getting used to scanning) but I'm pretty happy with them. Both will get entered into the village show under "Village Life" :)

Around The Village: WCC
by Ian, on Flickr

Around The Village: St Mary's
by Ian, on Flickr

Rolleiflex Automat, Ektar 100

They have a very Rollei feel to them Ian, I like. :)(y)

One of my favourite photos of our little girl who lost her fight with cancer last week. Devastated.

43475899842_0630e12f38_b.jpg

So sad, but a lovely photo.

And on a slightly cheerier note, a few from Iceland in May.
Xpan, TMax 400, Xtol(r) (because it's no good unless it has an 'x' in it apparently).

43475978232_fd9771ae6d_b.jpg

29651895988_b5e25701e8_b.jpg

43475976602_aaf40bd4ba_b.jpg

Also love the XPan format! Wish I had mine in Iceland. The third here is lovely.

If you have seen some of the images I have shared over a few years, you will have seen I have worked with a few models. I recently decided that I was no longer going to pursue this so last month I did what's going to be my last model shoot for the foreseeable. I travelled to London to shoot with Alice. We had a very limited, basic space indoors and I also wanted to keep her fully clothed, not resorting to the quick wins that I may have been guilty of in the past and I see a lot of other photographers doing. Anyways, here's one of the images from that shoot that I am fairly happy with. :)

Contax 645 + Kodak Portra 400.

Also love the XPan format! Wish I had mine in Iceland. The third here is lovely.

If you have seen some of the images I have shared over a few years, you will have seen I have worked with a few models. I recently decided that I was no longer going to pursue this so last month I did what's going to be my last model shoot for the foreseeable. I travelled to London to shoot with Alice. We had a very limited, basic space indoors and I also wanted to keep her fully clothed, not resorting to the quick wins that I may have been guilty of in the past and I see a lot of other photographers doing. Anyways, here's one of the images from that shoot that I am fairly happy with. :)

Contax 645 + Kodak Portra 400.

Love that [emoji1474][emoji1474][emoji1474]

Thanks Gareth.

Love the portrait. You've captured a very interesting expression, which seems somewhere between quizzical and aggressive. Perhaps that's what happens when you tell a model you're not interested in seeing them naked? :D

Love that [emoji1474][emoji1474][emoji1474]

Thanks Gareth.

Love the portrait. You've captured a very interesting expression, which seems somewhere between quizzical and aggressive. Perhaps that's what happens when you tell a model you're not interested in seeing them naked? :D

:agree: very engaging, love it

Thank you. :) Carmencita Lab shared this yesterday and it's amassed a lot of digital hearts over on Instagram. Ha.

Back