Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

It's nice and light.
If I'm having a off day with my arm. I just take my monopod plus it's easier to carry it that way

Going to invest in one. Think it will be a great help with this lens.

I'm looking to buy a cover and after a search on this thread two have come up: Outdoor Photography Gear and Wildlife Watching Supplies. They're both similarly priced around £35 and patterned so undecided which to go for. For those that own either one of these what are your opinions on them? Alternatively, are there other covers worth buying instead?

Think I got mine from Wildlife Watching Supplies . Brought it along with the extendable zoom bit, but I only used it once, just could not get on with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses re: lens cover.

It looks like there's nothing between them. The OFG cover is slightly cheaper but the WWS includes TC cover (which I'm also looking at) so work out the same :thinking:

Going slightly off topic....has anyone got/used the 1.4x extender? I will mostly use it for airshows but with max F9 not sure if it'll be fast enough.

Thanks for the responses re: lens cover.

It looks like there's nothing between them. The OFG cover is slightly cheaper but the WWS includes TC cover (which I'm also looking at) so work out the same :thinking:

Going slightly off topic....has anyone got/used the 1.4x extender? I will mostly use it for airshows but with max F9 not sure if it'll be fast enough.
I have the TC 1401 works fine with the sigma. As with any tc compromise with image quality is the trade off I have the 80D and leave the iso on auto to keep the shutter speed up find F9 very workable in decent light. Given what we ask from a sub 1k lens and TC it's pretty good

I'm finding it quite difficult to get sharp shots of wildlife hand held - basically can't get a high enough shutter speed at 600mm or there abouts and my camera doesn't handle ISO very well at all, ISO above 400 isn't nice and 400 itself doesn't look great. That's with IS on hand holding so I think I might need to invest in a monopod - have you guys found similar? And can anyone recommend a good monopod for me please?

Airshows its fine hand held on a sunny day etc. but if I want to photograph deer, let's say, at dawn or during the golden hour I just can't get a steady enough viewfinder...

Last edited:
I'm finding it quite difficult to get sharp shots of wildlife hand held - basically can't get a high enough shutter speed at 600mm or there abouts and my camera doesn't handle ISO very well at all, ISO above 400 isn't nice and 400 itself doesn't look great. That's with IS on hand holding so I think I might need to invest in a monopod - have you guys found similar? And can anyone recommend a good monopod for me please?

Airshows its fine hand held on a sunny day etc. but if I want to photograph deer, let's say, at dawn or during the golden hour I just can't get a steady enough viewfinder...

I have to admit that I have been struggling even with my Manfrotto monopod and my 80D Handles high ISO really well. I have been greedy though as I have used the Sigma TC-1401 teleconverter as well which as you rightly point out. I am considering one of these with my monopod

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/rh1.htm

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzy6Jddl90E

Last edited:
I use a monopod with a Lensmaster gimbal. Works great and helps a lot. I use a D7000 and often have to use ISO 800/1600.

Last edited:
Have the Manfrotto 393 which, given the price, I think is an excellent investment.

Having done some reading up on all this I'm wondering why I would even bother with a monopod over a tripod? The gimbal can be moved pan and tilt etc. so negates the need for a monopod - but requires the need for a strong, sturdy tripod?

I use a Lensmaster RH-1 Gimbal on a MeFoto Globetrotter.

Back