Simon's 52 in 2021

Spring - that looks like such a lovely spot. On theme and they have posed nicely for you :)

Snappers - I like the original colour one best (fritillaries) and agree the crop works - really brings them to life - gorgeous colours. I'm not sure which one is your submission for the week. I do love horse chestnuts, but to me the tops of some of the leaves look a little 'hot' and there are some bright highlights in the background that detract a little. The fritillaries are the winner for me :)
Thanks - I submitted the horse chestnut leaves - but your feedback is helpful. It's maddening sometimes not seeing what other see but it's all good learning!

Yes, for me too it is the Fritillaries. I do like the tweaks and I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favourite -- so I won't :)

I'm with the natural colours in the fritillaries too - lovely flowers. I'm not a fan of selective colours but well done for experimenting.

Easter shot, very appropriate and on theme.
Spring shot, nicely captured.
Snappers choice, think i prefer the original probably because that`s the more natural viewpoint / colours.
Could you crop in slightly on the right hand side to lose the darker snakeshead.
Hi Simon

New green leaves at this time of year, what's not to love.
I like the 1st Snakehead shot with the B&W background.
On the 2nd one with the B&W flowers I reakon a really big crop onto the bunch just off centre would work well apart from the bush in the background just clipping the top of the flowers.
Interesting idea.

Pete
Nice fritties - the original colour works best for me.
Snapper choice, the bright green of the new leaves is so eye catching isn’t it, the fritillaries I agree about the crop, I think it would really focus the eye on them, the experiments are good but I think it’s the natural colours for me.
Spring - that looks like such a lovely spot. On theme and they have posed nicely for you :)

Snappers - I like the original colour one best (fritillaries) and agree the crop works - really brings them to life - gorgeous colours. I'm not sure which one is your submission for the week. I do love horse chestnuts, but to me the tops of some of the leaves look a little 'hot' and there are some bright highlights in the background that detract a little. The fritillaries are the winner for me :)
Yes, for me too it is the Fritillaries. I do like the tweaks and I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favourite -- so I won't :)
I'm with the natural colours in the fritillaries too - lovely flowers. I'm not a fan of selective colours but well done for experimenting.

Thanks all as usual for your comments and critiques. very welcome feedback!

The light on the Horse Chestnut leaves is really nice. I like the feeling of things coming to life the image creates.

Week 16 - Out & About

First photo is my wife, daughter, sister and nieces walking on Whitesands beach in Pembrokeshire. One of our favourite places in the UK and the first time we've caught up with my sister's family in a year or more.

Second photo, same couple of days, but taken from Traethllyfyn beach looking towards St David's Head over the old lookout at Abereiddy (the other side of this outcrop called Carn Llidi) which you can see in the background of the second shot.

A lovely couple of days spent "out and about".

DSCF1392 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

DSCF1528 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Playing comment catch up!!

Easter
Looks like a boxing rabbit!!
Works well with the eyes staring up from the chick.

Spring
Definitely fits that theme, the angle of the foot on the sheep is interesting, trying to work out if they are getting ready for the "off".

Snapper's Choice
Prefer the main image, with the colours having a more natural appearance. The light falling on it works well.

Out and about
The dog "never got the memo" and is pointing it's own way!
Nice spacing on the participants whether planned or not.

Prefer the 2nd as a stronger composition even though it misses the context of Strumble head in the background. Did you stop for the excellent Porthgain fish & chips?

Great idea for negative space. Love the contrasting colours and that you've got the horizon in the right spot to fill the hole with sea. The square holes are a bonus for the theme.

Edit: Missed your Out and About shots - Pembrokeshire is one of my favourite places too. Looks like you were blessed with lovely weather for your get together. Blue seas and skies!

Last edited:
Prefer the 2nd as a stronger composition even though it misses the context of Strumble head in the background. Did you stop for the excellent Porthgain fish & chips?

Thanks! We nearly always do the Abereiddy - Porthgain and back walk when we're down (a few times a year). We stopped for a halfway pint in the Sloop (thankfully we were early so it wasn't busy for once), and we indulged in some cheesy chips :). We've been to the Shed for their fabulous fish and chips a few times over the years. Been going down there every year since the early 70's - absolutely love the area, so recognised your excellent shot of Ramsey Sound straight away!

Great idea for negative space. Love the contrasting colours and that you've got the horizon in the right spot to fill the hole with sea. The square holes are a bonus for the theme.

Edit: Missed your Out and About shots - Pembrokeshire is one of my favourite places too. Looks like you were blessed with lovely weather for your get together. Blue seas and skies!
Thanks. It was only a fleeting visit this time - the day of the beach shot was a bit overcast and blustery. The second say when this shot was taken was glorious. Be back in August (if not before)!

My preference is for #1 too - and I think it fits the theme well. Looks like a beautiful spot.

My preference is for #1 too - and I think it fits the theme well. Looks like a beautiful spot.
Thanks! It's is a beautiful part of the country. Spectacular coastal scenery, flora and fauna

Shapes
I think somewhere in between the two photos would be about right.
I like the combination of colours of the brick, grass and sky (RGB).

Shapes
I think somewhere in between the two photos would be about right.

Thanks - I couldn't really go much further left as there are other ruins adjacent which weren't as aesthetically pleasing (especially for the theme), hence the tight crop in image 2.

Week 18 - Numbers

These are shots of the sea locks on Cardiff Bay barrage. Unfortunately it was overcast, and my preferred shot (1) has a flat sky. I couldn't quite find the angle in shots 2 and 3 to get what I needed with my 18-55, but hopefully despite these issues, the numbers theme comes through. :)

Barrage 1
Barrage 1 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Barrage 2
Barrage 2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Barrage 3
Barrage 3 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Yeah - the sky is a bit flat, but I'm not sure it matters so much when it's not really part of the image IMO. Did you consider cropping a bit off the top for a more 16:9 representation?

Either way, I think it's worked really well for the theme and is an interesting image in its own right.

(y)

I understand your frustration over shots 2 & 3 with the lens you had, but I feel #3 is the strongest of the set. That's not to say I don't like the one you chose.

I agree with Ian above I’d crop a bit off the top, there is a lot going on in the image but the numbers still make an impact, so job done really.

Nice take on the theme. No3 works best for me.

Number 1 for me but only if it was cropped to get rid of the blank sky and the bit on the left of the 1,2,3.

Yes, that is much better, draws attention to the numbers now. (y)

I have to agree that number 3 is the better of the set, for me. Such a shame that you had a flat sky but we can't control that unfortunately!. A good idea for the theme and some great engineering there.

Yikes! For so many different reasons I'm way behind on my challenges, so trying to catch up here. Weeks 19-25:

Week 19 - Toy
I really struggled with this for a number of reasons but also coincided with a holiday that started this hiatus.

Toy by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 20 - Artificial
We were away in North Wales and visited the Portmeirion (first time for me). The whole place is artificial (not many Italian villages in Gwynnedd). Trying to get a shot without people in it proved very hard and I had to crop this quite hard to lose a yellow tipper truck that rather spoilt the scene.

Portmeirion patterns by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 21 - Pattern
This is a shot of some "art" on at the sea locks in Cardiff Bay. Stand anywhere else and it's just a random load of yellow lines.

Cardiff Bay Art by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 22 - Close up
Not quite macro (I haven't got a macro lens) but a nice shot of some thorns on a new season bramble, with a free bug thrown in

Thorns by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 23 - Personal
It was my wife's birthday at the end of June, and she's always wanted to go walking with Alpacas (well, since it became a thing). Here she is with "Reg" on top of a hill near Brecon.

Anne & Reg by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 24 - Green
Last weekend we were visiting family in Warwickshire and visited Croome Court National Trust. Some great landscape shots available, but I do like a tree.

Croome Court-4 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Week 25 - Snapper's Choice
I've never been able to get a decent shot of a bird in flight. However, for once, this gull flying over Penarth Pier obliged the other day - he's actually eying up our ice creams! I was quite pleased with this as an opportunistic shot.

Penarth gulls 3 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Toy: It's a toy, 'nuff said.

Artificial: You've done well to keep the tourists out of the shot and it's a nice picture. Tell the last player who played chess there to straighten up the pieces though and tell them it's not correct either as the kings and queens are on the wrong squares, queen goes on her own colour. Obviously not your problem.

Pattern: I thought at first that you had put the lines on as some of them give the illusion of being in mid air. Did you look for it or is there a sign saying 'take photographs from here'! :)

Close up: I think the bug makes the photograph, glad you pointed it out though.

Personal: Your good lady looks almost as happy as the alpaca who seems very pleased to be in the picture.

Green: I like a nice tree myself and this is a nice one.

Snapper's: Gulls are both amazing and vermin, and really not very nice as they bomb my local buzzards. You've certainly caught him eyeing you up.

Pattern: I thought at first that you had put the lines on as some of them give the illusion of being in mid air. Did you look for it or is there a sign saying 'take photographs from here'! :)

Thanks Martin.
The pattern on the locks has been there years (Since the barrage opened?). There's no sign for it apart from a cross on the ground (at least I think what the cross is for) - it’s one of those “if you know, you know” things. I suspect a lot of people have never noticed it

Week 26 - looking down

Shoes

Looking down 1 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

The next two are older shots (so I think cheating a bit really if I posted them for this week's theme) but they do fit the theme

Coot - spotted this chap sitting on a pile under the boardwalk in Cardiff Bay. What struck me most was size of his feet!

Coot by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

My daughter on Caswell Bay beach in the Gower had obviously spotted something

Looking down 2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Catch up
The pattern shot is the stand out for me. Like you say, the yellow lines are a bit random.

Looking down
The shoe shot looks good.

The shoes certainly work Simon

I love the coot feet.

Whether it's "right" or not is subjective I think.

For me, it's a bit to heavily over exposed in the clouds. It's just a big patch of white. I'm not a fan of the HDR technique. The idea that a high dynamic range technique is actually used to reduce the dynamic range in an image is a bit counter-intuitive if you ask me, but horses for courses and all that...

I like the image itself. I find a sad kinda poignancy to boats left to just slowly die (which is what this looks like to my untrained eye)

For me, it's a bit to heavily over exposed in the clouds. It's just a big patch of white.

I like the image itself. I find a sad kinda poignancy to boats left to just slowly die (which is what this looks like to my untrained eye)

Thanks for the helpful feedback

It's exactly how you saw it. Boat suddenly appeared one day (nothing usually ever moors there) said to be for “overhaul”. That was a year ago ☹️

Unfortunately we can't do a lot with skies here but it has a real poignancy about it. Good shot - I like it for the emotional content.

Back