Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Got me a new toy, Bronica SQ-A, so shot and processed a roll of Ilford Delta 400 yesterday. Not particularly evocative of the theme but undeniably wet. Strangely, standing next to a river in blustery snow showers, there wasn't much that really evoked wetness.

DevilsBridge by Chris H, on Flickr

Here's another that involves water...
Lancaster Canal by Chris H, on Flickr

Nowt wrong with that Chris, bang on theme and I like the compo of the hammer....

Nowt wrong with that Chris, bang on theme and I like the compo of the hammer....
Thanks Mark

Two great shots for the theme Chris, film and grittiness go very well together. Of the two I like the #2 more, nice and gritty sky while having good reflections in the water.
Thanks Dave, can't beat a bit of old-fashioned film grain

Yeah, as analogue as can be, like vinyl spinning, hard copies must look mighty cool.
Thanks for looking in

Saw your discussion over on the film side about medium format, I know what you mean about the capturing the theme but these are as good as anything we have had. I have a Bronica ETRS doesn’t get the use it deserves to be fair, how was getting the film on the developing reels I found it really hard on the Patterson reels lost two rolls of film and used a lot of expletives in the process so started using AP reels much easier.

Saw your discussion over on the film side about medium format, I know what you mean about the capturing the theme but these are as good as anything we have had. I have a Bronica ETRS doesn’t get the use it deserves to be fair, how was getting the film on the developing reels I found it really hard on the Patterson reels lost two rolls of film and used a lot of expletives in the process so started using AP reels much easier.
Thanks Allan. It's over 30 years since I processed a 120 film and I was expecting a nightmare getting it on the reel but it went on fairly easily, I've had bigger struggles with 35mm sometimes, probably just beginners luck.

Nice images Chris. Find of both of them to be honest and could not choose. The B&W conversion lends itself to this to give them a nice moody feel

Nice images Chris. Find of both of them to be honest and could not choose. The B&W conversion lends itself to this to give them a nice moody feel
Thanks Ian, they were shot on B&W film, no conversions necessary :)

Both nice shots Chris, I couldn't pick a favorite I like them both for different reasons

Wet
#1 edges it for me, it has a bit more something to it (maybe it's the arches and the background bridge).

Wet 2 great images for the theme Chris love both of them so won't pick a favorite.

I brought a Mamiya 645 kit last year cheap at a camera fair not used it yet:eek: may have to get a film into it this week and get out and use it as I'm meant to be taking dad to pick is old car up from Derby were it's been getting a bit of TLC this weekend

Serious bit of kit there Chris.
Wet, Out of the 2, I prefer the second image as the leadin line works better, but fantastic detail in both shots.

Pete

Liking both these, both well composed and the olde film graininess adds a nice touch.

Both nice shots Chris, I couldn't pick a favorite I like them both for different reasons
Thanks Tilly

Wet
#1 edges it for me, it has a bit more something to it (maybe it's the arches and the background bridge).
Thanks Dominic, glad someone likes #1

Wet 2 great images for the theme Chris love both of them so won't pick a favorite.

I brought a Mamiya 645 kit last year cheap at a camera fair not used it yet:eek: may have to get a film into it this week and get out and use it as I'm meant to be taking dad to pick is old car up from Derby were it's been getting a bit of TLC this weekend
Thanks Mark, sounds like an Ideal opportunity, looking forward to the photos ;)

Serious bit of kit there Chris.
Wet, Out of the 2, I prefer the second image as the leadin line works better, but fantastic detail in both shots.

Pete
Thanks Pete

Liking both these, both well composed and the olde film graininess adds a nice touch.
Thanks David.

Abundance - Great composition, great light and colours, great DoF (y)
Heavy - I personally wouldn't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but great framing and composition, and great contrasty post processing!
Wet - two very detailed shots, hard to choose between these two...

I really like the idea of 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' to meet the Heavy theme. and your choice of B&W brings out the textures of the metal.
Both images for Wet meet the theme very well and I find it hard to pick a favourite; I like the arches and the stones in the first one and the texture of the water surface in the second, so probably the second one meets the theme best :)

Heavy - great set up, Certainly looks Heavy to me I like the attention to detail with the crushed nuts
Wet - both good pics and work well for the theme I like the second one best.

Last edited:
Abundance - Great composition, great light and colours, great DoF (y)
Heavy - I personally wouldn't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but great framing and composition, and great contrasty post processing!
Wet - two very detailed shots, hard to choose between these two...

I really like the idea of 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' to meet the Heavy theme. and your choice of B&W brings out the textures of the metal.
Both images for Wet meet the theme very well and I find it hard to pick a favourite; I like the arches and the stones in the first one and the texture of the water surface in the second, so probably the second one meets the theme best :)

Heavy - great set up, Certainly looks Heavy to me I like the attention to detail with the crushed nuts
Wet - both good pics and work well for the theme I like the second one best.

Thanks all, appreciate the comments

Posting more than one photo for the 52 always feels like a bit of a cop-out to me, like I couldn't make up my mind and probably because there isn't really a clear top pick. Anyway, there were two last week and two this week for both Juxtaposition and the reshoot , cop-out king but I do have vague justifications...

So juxtaposition, I thought I knew what it meant before I got into this, now I'm not so sure. Here's a wind turbine juxtaposed against a somewhat "unspoiled" rural landscape
Wind turbine from Yealand by Chris H, on Flickr

And here is a rusty barn roof, against juxtaposed on a rural landscape, the colour of this was particularly striking
Barn on Warton Crag by Chris H, on Flickr

I don't often find the motivation to do reshoots but back when Gate was the theme, I had a good idea but the execution was a bit off, hopefully this is better
Gate on Warton Crag by Chris H, on Flickr

And I saw these Gates yesterday, which I think would be better later in the year when the grass is richer.
Gates near Kettlewell by Chris H, on Flickr

Juxtaposition it works for me, the mountains and sky almost look like a painted backdrop a well composed picture, very confusing subject though I agree

Black and white pic for "gate" the stone walls in lines look great, maybe remove the light are at the top it catches your eye away from the subject, but I do like the image

Juxtaposition it works for me, the mountains and sky almost look like a painted backdrop a well composed picture, very confusing subject though I agree

Black and white pic for "gate" the stone walls in lines look great, maybe remove the light are at the top it catches your eye away from the subject, but I do like the image

Thanks Allan, I thought about the snow at the top but cropping left it a bit tight on the top wall, should have cloned it out I guess

Hi Chris,
Juxtaposition - I like it, nice sky and landscape, if it was me I'm a stickler for the 'rule of thirds' so I would've maybe cropped in tighter and brought more focus to the turbine in the lower left third. This would probably crop out the buildings on the right for a tidier image overall. Just my 2p!

Re-shoot Gate - Definitely like the second shot, lots more interest as the walls get closer together the further into the image you get. My only crit would be perhaps to tidy the top edge a little, but again - just my OCD kicking in!

Good job! (y)

Hi Chris,
Juxtaposition - I like it, nice sky and landscape, if it was me I'm a stickler for the 'rule of thirds' so I would've maybe cropped in tighter and brought more focus to the turbine in the lower left third. This would probably crop out the buildings on the right for a tidier image overall. Just my 2p!

Re-shoot Gate - Definitely like the second shot, lots more interest as the walls get closer together the further into the image you get. My only crit would be perhaps to tidy the top edge a little, but again - just my OCD kicking in!

Good job! (y)
Thanks Matt, I wanted to keep the mountain in the background and was limited on the LHS by some trees or it would be nearer to thirds.

Both Juxtaposition shots are nicely on theme Chris, I like the #1 first as it is Old and New so bang on.
Gate reshoot, got to be the gritty mono one for me.
Thanks Dave, I prefer the mono gate too.

Hi Chris, I think we were all a bit confused by the theme, I don't remember it coming out before and this is my fifth year. Anyway, I think your choice of the wind turbine is absolutely fine for the theme, and that's such a lovely view, which only adds to your choice.

Gates it has to be the b&w one, that's a great viewpoint with the closed gate at the bottom leading to the opening at the top, I really like it.

Hi Chris, I think we were all a bit confused by the theme, I don't remember it coming out before and this is my fifth year. Anyway, I think your choice of the wind turbine is absolutely fine for the theme, and that's such a lovely view, which only adds to your choice.

Gates it has to be the b&w one, that's a great viewpoint with the closed gate at the bottom leading to the opening at the top, I really like it.
Thanks Susie

Yes, both Juxtaposition images work for me, Chris, for the reasons you have stated. I think the first is perhaps the best interpretation of the theme with the turbine standing out against a lovely rural scene, but I do like the striking red of the rusty roof in #2. There is also a gate in that image too, which leads onto....

Gate(d) These are two cracking reshoots and I like them both equally; the first for the simplicity of the green grass top and bottom and the tyre tracks cutting through the open gate in the middle, and the second for line after line of walls with a gate clearly front and centre. B&W works very well for this one :clap:

The wind turbine works a treat (y) ... might be more effective without the buildings!

The colour gate shot .... I love the simplicity, and placement in the frame. (y)

The wind turbine for me! Great light and pleasant landscape!

And the B&W shot for gate, looks from afar as if you had to jump over six walls to get from one gate to the other!

I detect a theme running here Chris, as I also think this is the truth....

Thanks Susie

Yes, both Juxtaposition images work for me, Chris, for the reasons you have stated. I think the first is perhaps the best interpretation of the theme with the turbine standing out against a lovely rural scene, but I do like the striking red of the rusty roof in #2. There is also a gate in that image too, which leads onto....

Gate(d) These are two cracking reshoots and I like them both equally; the first for the simplicity of the green grass top and bottom and the tyre tracks cutting through the open gate in the middle, and the second for line after line of walls with a gate clearly front and centre. B&W works very well for this one :clap:

The wind turbine works a treat (y) ... might be more effective without the buildings!

The colour gate shot .... I love the simplicity, and placement in the frame. (y)

I detect a theme running here Chris, as I also think this is the truth....

Thanks all

Hi Chris,

Wet - The B&W ages the bridge, such a shame about the modern one behind, but I very much doubt there is an angle that would hide it. It works for me :)
Juxtaposition - The Turbine shot is a clever interpretation, I wouldn't have thought of it. I do like the image, especially the split between the vibrant foreground and the hazy background.
Re-shoot - I prefer the Kettlewell image. I think because of the sense of strangeness. You have two gagteways close up and one at the back all in line, with the other 6 walls having no gates. Again, B&W works well.

Hi Chris,

Wet - The B&W ages the bridge, such a shame about the modern one behind, but I very much doubt there is an angle that would hide it. It works for me :)
Juxtaposition - The Turbine shot is a clever interpretation, I wouldn't have thought of it. I do like the image, especially the split between the vibrant foreground and the hazy background.
Re-shoot - I prefer the Kettlewell image. I think because of the sense of strangeness. You have two gagteways close up and one at the back all in line, with the other 6 walls having no gates. Again, B&W works well.
Thanks Tim, it does seem a bit strange the way the are, IIRC there just weren't gates between the middle fields,

Juxtaposition
Works for me, a wind turbine in the rural countryside is a juxtaposition.

Gate
Nicely seen, a bit more emphasis on the wheel tracks would in my opinion add a little more.

Nice one for juxtaposition. A lot of people hate turbines. I quite like them so to me it doesn't spoil the view. Nice shot.
Juxtaposition
Works for me, a wind turbine in the rural countryside is a juxtaposition.

Gate
Nicely seen, a bit more emphasis on the wheel tracks would in my opinion add a little more.
Thanks guys, it was weird the way the tracks were only visible on one side of the gate.

Back