Daily Slimbert's 2012 - 366 - Day 117 Added

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been um'ing and ah'ing for about a week now, as to whether to do this or not.....but since I don't post on here anywhere near as much as I would like to, I figured this would be a great way to up my involvement with the site.....a site which (through its members) has given me an enormous amount, including a large chunk of my rather pathetic photographic knowledge and also some truely great new friends.....the belly laughs we have on the Norfolk Mafia meets, sometimes make my chest hurt!! :LOL:

As is the way with all the 52's and 365's etc, many won't make it through to the end.....but I'm determind to finish this!! :) I had a crack at a 52 a couple of years ago, but dropped out around week 26ish.....hopefully this time I'll do better!! (y)

My 366 will be a fairly personal affair and will include family holidays etc, however some of my paid work will make it in here from time to time I'm sure!! ;) Comments are welcome from people of any and all abilities on any of my photos.....whatever your level of experience, please feel free to say what you think!! (y) Also, feel free to ask any questions at all.....I'll help wherever I can!!

Finally, good luck to everyone else taking on a challenge this year.....hope you all have fun!! :D

Last edited:
Here's my first image.....this was taken earlier this evening at my in-laws!!

My father-in-law had suggested that we use up all the unused veg/stuffing etc left over from Xmas.....so we bought a couple of chickens and got to work!! As usual, there was tons left over.....our dog, Purdy, had a serious treat when we got home!! :p

Day 1: "Dinner With The Family"

Day 1: Dinner With The Family by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking start Damien (y) and I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Great composition, nice and tight; right DOF to maintain focus on the partially filled plate :D and nice colours.

Look quite bright on my laptop, especially near the centre of the table. Looks like the knife was in your hand, but fork looks like it's resting on the table. Minor point, but I'd like to see both in your hands.

PS did you eat all your veg :puke:

Cheers.

Cracking start Damien (y) and I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Great composition, nice and tight; right DOF to maintain focus on the partially filled plate :D and nice colours.

Look quite bright on my laptop, especially near the centre of the table. Looks like the knife was in your hand, but fork looks like it's resting on the table. Minor point, but I'd like to see both in your hands.

PS did you eat all your veg :puke:

Cheers.

Thanks, Andy!! (y)

It's just a snap shot with little thought or effort.....just like the rest of my photography tbh!! :p Weirdly, the knife wasn't in my hand.....it's resting on a yorkshire pud.....:LOL:

Oh, and I have to admit.....I did leave a little bit of cabbage, but I ate all my sprouts!! (y)

Thanks for commenting!! ;)

Last edited:
I quite like that , nothing critical to say apart from.... nice to see a good old Norfolk snack... now where's the pud.

Cheers

Steve

I quite like that , nothing critical to say apart from.... nice to see a good old Norfolk snack... now where's the pud.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, Steve....(y).....I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I'm more a savoury kind of guy.....more pies and pasties, than sweets and cakes!! ;)

Nice start, great pic.

Thanks for commenting, Adam!! (y)

So, on to day two.....

I decided at the last minute not to attend the Suffolk coastal meet, held this morning, due to my recent back pain.....for once, I had to give in and listen to my wife who strongly suggested that I use the last day of my Christmas break to rest up.....my wife NEVER gets in the way of my photography, and I actually think she prefers me out of the house tbh, so I knew when she said I shouldn't go, that she was being serious!!

So apart from taking my mum to the train station, as it was the end of her visit to Norwich, all I've (read: my wife) done today is tidy up the last of the Xmas mess and put the tree, lights and decorations away, etc.....and I have to admit, I'm glad it's all over!!

While I genuinely love Xmas, there's been too much food, too much rushing round, too much "having" to visit people I'd rather throw dog **** at.....I seriously welcome its finish, and the expression in the photo below of our Labradoodle, Purdy, I think, sums it up for me.....

.....Day 2: "Thank God Xmas Is Over"

Thank God Xmas Is Over!! by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Both good strong pictures to start of the challenge there Damien (y) though I think a case could be made for just a tiny little bit more room up top on that second one (y) now I think the Slimbert household need bigger plates as that one has clearly reached it save operational service levels :LOL: (y)

Best of luck in the challenge (y)

Matt

Both good strong pictures to start of the challenge there Damien (y) though I think a case could be made for just a tiny little bit more room up top on that second one (y) now I think the Slimbert household need bigger plates as that one has clearly reached it save operational service levels :LOL: (y)

Best of luck in the challenge (y)

Matt

Thanks, Matt!! (y)

Great start Damien!
Love the first one.
I've subscribed ;)
Happy new year
:)

Great start Damien!
Love the first one.
I've subscribed ;)
Happy new year
:)

Cheers, Ben!! (y) Happy new year to you too!! :D

I think he's had my pud..... looks like hes ready for a sleep , nice one.

Steve

Thanks, Steve!! :) I've got a feeling she'll be making more than one appearence during my 366.....she's a bugger to photograph though!! :help:

I asked my eldest daughter (who's 7) what I should take a photo of, and she told me I should take a picture of Mummy's new flower.....I have absolutely no idea what type of flower it is, I don't know where she got it from or how much it cost, and I can't even remember it appearing in our house.....which makes me think it was expensive and that she's sneaked it in to the house when I wasn't looking.....exactly like I do when I buy a new lens!! :naughty:

Anyway, here it is....nice and simple!!

Day 3....."Mummy's Flower"

Day 3: Mummy's Flower by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

nice orchid there, think the background could have done with being more "natural" ie greens and browns but thats just my opinion.

like the other two shots too

Orchid. About £5. There you go.

nice orchid there, think the background could have done with being more "natural" ie greens and browns but thats just my opinion.

like the other two shots too

Thank you, Lee-James!! (y) Changing the background wasn't really an option as the flower, or "Orchid" as you like to call it, is on the sideboard, and my walls are magnolia.....with the weather being what it was last night, there was no way I was venturing outside!! :shake:

Orchid. About £5. There you go.

Why would anyone spend such a ridiculous amount of money on something that doesn't do anything.....it beggers belief!! :eek:

Thank you, Lee-James!! (y) Changing the background wasn't really an option as the flower, or "Orchid" as you like to call it, is on the sideboard, and my walls are magnolia.....with the weather being what it was last night, there was no way I was venturing outside!! :shake:

:LOL: A northern lad like yourself should be used to the bad weather, get out there and suffer for your art :D

Why would anyone spend such a ridiculous amount of money on something that doesn't do anything.....it beggers belief!! :eek:

Deep down you are a real romantic.........very deep down :LOL:

Liking the start of your 366 Damien, a nice touch to be doing it from a more personal perspective. I am sure when you complete it, it will be good to look back on.

On to day 4.....

Apart from eating once in a while, the odd trip to the toilet, and when she's actually in bed asleep.....this is pretty much the only view I've had of my eldest daughter since Christmas Day morning, when she opened a present from me containing the book in the photo!!

I spoilt her rotten this year if I'm honest, yet the Nintendo DS and the pile of games she got are already gathering dust due to her obsession with a good paperback.....she's a genuine bookworm, and has already decided which book she'd like next.....George's Marvellous Medicine, again by Roald Dahl!! (y)

Day 4: "A Bookworm At Work"

Day 4: A Bookworm At Work by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

:LOL: A northern lad like yourself should be used to the bad weather, get out there and suffer for your art :D

Jog on.....Since moving to Norfolk I'm strictly fairweather only!!

Deep down you are a real romantic.........very deep down :LOL:

Again, Iain....don't be daft!! :nono:

Liking the start of your 366 Damien, a nice touch to be doing it from a more personal perspective. I am sure when you complete it, it will be good to look back on.

This 366 won't get too arty, it's definitely a more personal thing.....although I'm sure some wedding and portrait shots will end up in here at some point over the course of the year.....;)

Thanks for commenting, Iain....really appreciate it!! (y)

Only just come across this... Going to be a great one to follow !!!!

Love the first one... that stuffing is making my mouth water :drool:

Cheers, Dean!! (y) That stuffing was the father-in-laws handywork and he did a very good job with it.....I love a good stuffing!!! :cautious:

i see your daughters got good taste, kindle next year me thinks, like all of them up to now Damien and have now subscribed, hope you get to the end

hope you get to the end

That's my main fear, Liz.....it's easy enough at this time of year but when the weddings kick off, it'll be a different story.....but I'll do my absolute best!!

Thanks for commenting, and thanks again for subscribing!! (y)

That's my main fear, Liz.....it's easy enough at this time of year but when the weddings kick off, it'll be a different story.....but I'll do my absolute best!!

Thanks for commenting, and thanks again for subscribing!! (y)

hey i like to keep an eye on you, after all you were one of the gang of people that made me feel like a real part of TP, and look how far i've come in just under a year, think if i hadn't gone to Scarborough and met you guys i may have been a bit daunted by it all:):)

On to day 4.....

Apart from eating once in a while, the odd trip to the toilet, and when she's actually in bed asleep.....this is pretty much the only view I've had of my eldest daughter since Christmas Day morning, when she opened a present from me containing the book in the photo!!

I spoilt her rotten this year if I'm honest, yet the Nintendo DS and the pile of games she got are already gathering dust due to her obsession with a good paperback.....she's a genuine bookworm, and has already decided which book she'd like next.....George's Marvellous Medicine, again by Roald Dahl!! (y)
That's great to see and hear - A Great colourful Pic.. (y)

Thankfully both of my 2 - especially my daughter LOVE books and read alot, We keep them with paperbacks though - don;t want them going Sony Reader or Kindle yet :)

hey i like to keep an eye on you, after all you were one of the gang of people that made me feel like a real part of TP, and look how far i've come in just under a year, think if i hadn't gone to Scarborough and met you guys i may have been a bit daunted by it all:):)

Stop it, you'll get me all soppy, and I'm far too 'ard for stuff like that!! You've come a long way in a short time, Liz....and I'm sure this is just the start!! (y) I'm a genuine believer in the social side of photography and think that the "Meeting Place" section of TP is one of the most important parts of this site, I've learnt huge amounts just by spending time with other photographers.....I really do love TP meets, even ones that involve me nearly dying, climbing all the way up to Scarborough Castle!! ;)

That's great to see and hear - A Great colourful Pic.. (y)

Thankfully both of my 2 - especially my daughter LOVE books and read alot, We keep them with paperbacks though - don;t want them going Sony Reader or Kindle yet :)

Her favourite book is one I bought her about a year ago called "8000 Amazing Facts".....that book has been to show-and-tell more times than she has!! :p

Cracking pic of Lexi - well Matilda... :LOL:

Unfortunately though I am £30 down to the Norfolk Mafia, as I took the bet that all your 366 would feature food.... You HAVE let me down....

Just logged into tp to see how the Suffolk meet went and what do I find? Damien threatening to be a photographer the whole year! :D And Lynton: Wouldn't Bacardi have been a safer bet :thinking:
Anyway, as for the pics ... Like the first one - nice to see a good bright pic from you Damien without a vignette ...
And the pics of Purdy and your eldest ... neither are running around like mad things - what have you done to them! :D:D

You daughter has good taste I had a collection of RD books when I was younger (y) a great read for kids (y) I loved them :clap: nice work with the orchid but I agree the background doesn't really work though rather than a natural BG I would say a black BG or maybe a nasty old industrial background :thinking:

Matt

Unfortunately though I am £30 down to the Norfolk Mafia, as I took the bet that all your 366 would feature food.... You HAVE let me down....

There will be plenty of photos of food!! I go on holiday in June.....all inclusive!!! :love:

Just logged into tp to see how the Suffolk meet went and what do I find? Damien threatening to be a photographer the whole year! :D And Lynton: Wouldn't Bacardi have been a safer bet :thinking:

Shut your face!! :razz:

There will be plenty of Bacardi photos.....I got 3 litres for Christmas!!! :naughty:

Anyway, as for the pics ... Like the first one - nice to see a good bright pic from you Damien without a vignette ...

You leave my vignettes alone.....the brides love 'em!! ;)

You daughter has good taste I had a collection of RD books when I was younger (y) a great read for kids (y) I loved them :clap: nice work with the orchid but I agree the background doesn't really work though rather than a natural BG I would say a black BG or maybe a nasty old industrial background :thinking:

Matt

Faking backgrounds just isn't my thing tbh, Matt.....I don't do layers at all, but that's down to me not knowing how to do them!! :p

If todays pic is a pic of a huge camera bag - you will be severely slapped!

Day 5.....

The majority of my paid photography work comes from weddings.....the reason for this is simple, because that's what I love shooting, so that's what I mainly advertise myself as.....see, I told you it was simple!! :p

Booking wise, the lead up to Christmas was very quiet.....with Christmas just around the corner, it hardly came as a shock.....but today business picked up again with two bookings and another enquiry, all in one day!! :clap:

So, in to the old filing cabinet I went to get the necessary contracts, and thought to myself "bookings are like buses....."

Bookings Are Like Buses.... by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Lovely Depth of field with this picture. Nice shot!

nice shot, as the previous poster said lovely use of DOF, but aren't you neat

Lovely Depth of field with this picture. Nice shot!

Thank you, Matt!! (y) Really appreciate you commenting!! :D

nice shot, as the previous poster said lovely use of DOF, but aren't you neat

Thanks, Liz!! :) When it comes to paperwork, the neatness is a necessity.....otherwise I'd definitely end up at the wrong wedding.....on the wrong day.....at the wrong time!! :bonk:

As the others have said excellent dof.

Also, now I don't know if it is because I'm viewing on iPad, but there seems to be a bit of graininess in the shot....... Love it, really adds to the photo

As the others have said excellent dof.

Also, now I don't know if it is because I'm viewing on iPad, but there seems to be a bit of graininess in the shot....... Love it, really adds to the photo

Thanks, Lee-James!! (y) Due to brightening the image so much during PP, there is some noise in the shot.....so don't worry, your iPad is working as it should!! I could've up'd the noise reduction to get rid of it, but I quite liked the grain so left it as it was!! (y)

Back