weekly Spacester's 2013 52 thread: Week 8 - "Time"

Space: Just Wow! - that is all I'm saying. :clap:

Work: nice tight crop, I like the way you can see through the mesh and down the corridor, and the way the light is as well.

I love that entry for space, fantastic. You work in a strange and scary place, though.

I really like the final space image, it would be interesting to see it before PP

Nice to see clear complete images for a change. Good stuff

Hi Aaln

Space....no crit from me , I think that is a perfectly wonderful shot...fab sky & great detail in the dish :clap:

Work....looks a very interesting place to work , nice POV ,good DOf...only minor issue for me is the bright light top rhs..

Thanks all for the (very positive) feedback. I thought I had overdone the PP on "space", so I am very glad that so many of you liked it! As for "work", it's rather bad timing as when he beam is on (only 100 days / year), the whole "hot" area is flooded in an eerie blue light. Unfortunately, we are currently outside the cycle, so I had to take what was available :) I'll return there (for my own fun) to retake some images :)

I really like the final space image, it would be interesting to see it before PP

Ok, here they are.

Photos were taken hand held, using the auto HDR function on the d5100 set to +/-2eV. I then used the Photomatix HDR plugin to combine them. I tried my hardest to take a low-touch with the HDR....

This is the intermediary result, directly out of Photomatix:

I then went to work with it using the standard Aperture adjustments. I did the following:
1. increased definition
2. increased saturation
3. increased vibrancy ever so slightly
4. increased highlight and mid-point contrast
5. added some vignette

It resulted in the final image:

When I HDRd it, I really did try to be conservative, as I really don't like the overly HDRd photos. Here is a reject:

I actually quite like the sky (apart from the halo around the dish), but the dish is waaay over-done. I would have to photoshop in another dish in, and not only did I not have the time for it, I don't really like going that far with PP.

I really am just learning with PP (as well as photography in general) so I was really worried I over-did it. Thanks all for the positive feedback - here is hoping that I haven't turned people against this image, now that I have revealed it is HDR (I get the impression that many people seem to object on principle to HDR?).

The processing for space isn't too ott for me I like the saturated sky, I would probably like to see the whole structure from ground up though.

Hard to describe why I like the work shot, I think its the lighting and the lower sign allowing you to peer down the corridor.

(y)

I like the processing on space too, I feel it suits the subject. I like the over saturated look to it and the vignette concentrates the eye on the subject.

I like your processing on work too Alan, it looks quite sinister :cautious:
The tight crop and composition works well, drawing the viewers eye in and through the barrier. Good work (y) Iain

Incidentally, whereabouts in NE Essex are you, I live N Essex, near Halstead?

like both space and work pics bit too much vignette for me but thats only a personal thing nice work

Very much like Space, very much indeed. Not sure about Work, perhaps it's intended to be very claustrophobic-inducing, if so you succeeded!

Love the space one - do like a bit of HDR, and that shot was an absolutely ideal candidate for it. All of the good points, none of the bad ones for me there.

And good editing of the HDR'd version. Definately added to the shot with that.

Shame that the in-camera HDR of the D5100 doesn't produce a result like that for you. :LOL:

overbez said:
Shame that the in-camera HDR of the D5100 doesn't produce a result like that for you. :LOL:

To be honest, I think the eye and brain needs to come into play. Not convinced any CPU could make the judgement on shots like these. But you are right, it would be a cracking camera if it could!

ams99 said:
Doesn't the flash light up the card and make it grey?
I'm struggling to get my black card backgrounds black and just wondered how you achieved it

Over exposed the foreground, then reduced exposure in PP by 1 stop. When converted to b+w, the dark grey turned to black. Also, the flash was off camera at an angle so didn't catch the background too much.

Really like the gluttony picture though it is hard to see where the focal point is.

Gluttony, bet it was had to get your daughter involved :D

Like the angle and her eyes staring at the ice cream.

Crit, looks OOF, to me, and I'd like to see more of the bowl and less of the hand, the bowl (contents) is the theme; also looks a tad blue.

Time, eeekkk, just done a similar one :D Well expose and well lit. Nice low angle.

I'm not sure about the focus point, seem to be on the metal edge.

Nonetheless, good submissions.

Cheers.

Nice b&w, nicely lit. Think i would prefer the middle to be in focus as my eye is left on the edge of the image and not drawn in by anything.

Hi Alan

Gluttony....not much use with people/kid type shots I'm afraid but can see the look in her face...ice cream , yum yum :) Think I'll 2nd Andy's comments as he's put it so well

Time...I suspect there'l be a few watch's & clocks for this one. B&W suits it well , ...can't really crit as I like it ..:)

good shot for time, great detail in the in focus areas, scratches on the rim coming through well, good background. (y)

Gluttony....The hand on the right is a little distracting, I think the focus needs to be on the childs face too. Nice idea though.

Time.......Nice subject, I don't own one yet but I do like Skagen watches.

(y)

Gluttony works well for me - nothing says gluttony like a kid with ice cream it seems. :)

Time looks great, too. Great details, especially in the frame.

Back