weekly Stuart Pearson's 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase (completed )

I like most of it quite a lot, but something odd has happened at the far end of the alley!
That will be my attempt to try and selectively reduce the exposure/brightness at that point where it was blown out. Maybe I should have left as is :) Looking back at the image before I tweaked it, I should have left as it, here it is. Sometimes you can go too far.
84A4A145-1994-4F27-97A4-3BC7CBA963C4.jpeg

Last edited:
A good shot Stuart. Looks like someone was staring at you from the other end of the alley.

Week 7 - Heavy

Spent some time in the Science and Industy museum in Manchester this week while on a short break away. This is my chosen theme image although I created something earlier in the week that I expected more impact from although turns out I was wrong in my understanding.

An Industrial Thread by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

My first thoughts for "heavy" was trying to create an image where one liquid was heavier than another. For this I chose vegetable oil and water. I expected the oil to fall to the bottom of the glass but it was not the case. Apparently a search online indicates the density of water is higher than the oil, although I'm assuming some has dropped from the bubbles visible at the bottom.

D7AACC82-B814-4D45-896D-F08471254968.jpeg

Prior to the museum visit this week we enjoyed a meal out at Miller & Carter where for my steak I had a "heavy" duty knife that I had great fun trying to balance on the other cutlery. I did manage it successfully after a few attempts.

61668A9F-0BAC-48C8-AB61-49D944D82C83.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the "oily" shot the best Stuart. I think that it's an interesting take on the theme.

I like the one you'e chosen Stuart as I find most industrial things fascinating. I think the oil and water image is a great idea though.

Interesting set - the liquids work well for me.

Three very different takes on the theme. I rather like the liquid one too. When I make salad dressing the oil always floats on the wine vinegar...

All nice shots. Lovely detail and sharpness in the first one, but I do like to oil and water shot.

Week 8 - Light

Made use of some EL wire wrapped around a plasma bulb to produce my main image for the Light theme.

Lightbulb Moment
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

I also liked the plasma bulb switched off which just showed the outline shape.

6F6A63A9-578D-4296-B474-9961597EE471.jpeg

Hard to pick between the 2. I like the outline of the unlit "bulb" but the plasma streams do help it enough to make it a slightly easier choice.

A very creative shot Stuart and well shot.

I didn't know what EL wire was so you post got be to doing a simple search on the Google. Very interesting, I can envision a number of uses for this. Always good to learn something new each day, thank you.

Good stuff - No1 is the shot!

Absolutely love this, if I were intelligent enough I would have loved to have done this. Chapeau sir.

I do like the second shot but that tiny white dot in the middle spoils it a little as I can't keep my eyes away from it.

I do like the second shot but that tiny white dot in the middle spoils it a little as I can't keep my eyes away from it.
I know what you mean and it would have been easy to clone out, not sure why I didn't remove it to be honest

Absolutely love this, if I were intelligent enough I would have loved to have done this. Chapeau sir.
Thanks, other than having the concept idea and the elements necessary to create it, it was just a case of taking many photos at different settings and picking the best one. Both the EL wire and plasma lamp have featured separately in earlier theme submissions.

Very creative, nice colours, never heard of Plasma Bulbs or EL wire.

Have had a plasma ball many years ago.

Tempted by the idea of that EL wire but slightly put off by the noise. How noisy are they really?

Very creative, nice colours, never heard of Plasma Bulbs or EL wire.

Have had a plasma ball many years ago.
It's only a plasma bulb in that's it's a plasma ball shaped like a bulb, this is the one I have:
011D1CC1-6A06-4C6C-9770-2DDDEFE192B6.jpeg

EL (electroluminescent) wire is regularly used in cars creating sections with a light border purely for aesthetic reasons

Week 9 - Damp

Not 100% happy with the photo taken this week, although I was time constrained due to its content so that's my excuse. Would have like it to be sharper and probably shouldn't have set my iso at 160 indoors. This bumped the shutter up to 1/25 second which affected its sharpness. I also managed to have a prominent shadow behind to the right which only looked worse after editing. So it's an added background from some graffiti under a bridge I captured earlier.

Damp Hair
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

It looks sharp enough to me Stuart and you've got nice catchlights in the eyes. I think the background really suits the image and I would never have guessed you'd changed it. Well processed! The colours all work together nicely too.

I think it's a really good picture and it looks sharp enough to me. I hadn't noticed that you had changed the background until you mentioned it.

I think that you've done a fine job Stuart. The damp hair fits the theme and swapping out the background is a step up from my PS skills.

That’s a striking portrait Stuart and fits the theme nicely. Good bit of photoshopping too.

Nice portrait. The background works well and is totally convincing.

That’s a nice shot, and works nicely on the theme.

Week 10 - Seen Through A Window

Its very to fall behind in the themes and need to play catch up, so you get nothing for a period then 2 come along at the same time, a bit like these birds at the feeder. Showing off their acrobatic skills to reach the food at the bottom. It's taken through a conservatory window with the vertical blinds creating the framing on each side.

Aviarian Acrobatics by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 11 - Technology

This is my 247 second stopwatch give or take a second. I didn't think it would be as accurate but on my limited tests it was within one second of the previous time. I haven't found anything where this time period is useful but it's still fascinating seeing the sand moving through the middle channel,

247 Second Stopwatch by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back