weekly Stuart Pearson's 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase (completed )

Well caught up with 3 shots on theme, I’ve no idea how you did the abstract one.

There’s lots of detail in your mossy post. I like that it is so dominant in the frame.

Well caught up with 3 shots on theme, I’ve no idea how you did the abstract one.

There’s lots of detail in your mossy post. I like that it is so dominant in the frame.
Thanks, the abstract one is an onion cut as a spiral with the Affinity Photo Perlin Noise filter added to the background

Snapper's Choice - really like this one, I'd never have guessed if you hadn't answered Bebops post
Half - I like this one, the "prelude" to half
Post - I like how the foliage frames the top of the post

Lovely set Stuart. The abstract one is interesting, although like the others, I wouldn't;t have known what it was without the explanation. I love the post shot.

Week 28 - Water

Playing catchup again, I've always wanted to try capturing the impact from an object hitting a water balloon. I had all manner of weird and wonderful dreamed up in my head to burst the ballon but they never got past the drawing board stage. So what I have here is bricks that were initially balanced on balloons without bursting them. I have while triggering my camera with a wired shutter release dropped another brick on top of my structure which was enough to burst the two balloons. This description possibly sounds better than the end result, I will leave that up to you to decide :)

Balloon v Brick
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 29 - Handles

The first time I saw the secateurs they looked like a pair of legs, so when a theme came along with handles I knew what I wanted to use. It is a composite image although I did initially try using a longer exposure to get both the legs and my daughter in a single frame. I think sometimes I believe the camera can do anything you want but rarely does that prove to be the case, although I'm sure sometimes its the operator is at fault. Picked the allium for no other reason than it created a nice shape behind. Tried various techniques to get the skin green before realising all I needed was an HSL layer.

Prunella by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 30 - Dusty

I don't know about anyone else but I found this theme tricky to produce something creative for. My first thought was to capture the movement of a static duster, but I could not focus on the duster, which might be something to do with the fact it was rotating with a connection to an electric screwdriver. Although it did achieve quite an abstract image.

0E85B749-D0C3-4185-8D24-A26D2016F010.jpeg

Next up I tried to capture dust in the light beam created by a laser but despite adding extra dust to the air I could not get anything defined. I had hoped to have multiple beams across a background however this was the best I achieved.

52EFE683-DD23-48AD-BFF4-33085228F81E.jpeg

Using the laser though did follow through to what I ended up using as my main image. I found that using a torch slighter wider than a pencil I could still get a fairly focused beam of light with dust particles. Up to this point I was using my mirrorless G5 camera but hadn't been fully prepared as the battery ran out, with both of my extra batteries also empty! So I resorted to the phone to take the remaining photos, although in the end I think it done a better job.

Two images from the set I took stood out as follows:

24D3A717-F1ED-420B-9309-AEF0974585FA.jpeg

Dust Trail by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Both the final two images are interesting but I prefer the uniformity of the last one.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of composite images, but do appreciate the thought that's gone into it.

I do like the laser and torch shots for dust though, very imaginative and effective.

Water and Dusty are, in my view, great! Well done for some creative work!

Great set of catch-up images Stuart. I really loved the commentary.
Water - an interesting quirky shot. My first impression of what the image was definitely not what you described :D . I like the image for it's abstract nature.
Handles - a very creative take on the theme
Dust - I like the duster shot the best, I think that it makes a really interesting image.

Great job.

Gosh, you really have been getting creative with the latest themes.
I particularly like the dust shot... such a lovely abstract result.

Week 31 - Food

I recently purchased an RGB LED light so expect to see it getting used in more of my themes. In this photo it's behind the grater, set to an orange colour. The grater is sitting on a glass table with the camera underneath . I did try to catch the cheese falling but failed.

Grater

Week 32 - Internal(s)

Time to feature the RGB light again with the photo of a legacy 16 bit ISA sound card! Played about with different angles, and distance from the card. I do like the macro photos but I think the detail in the red photo makes it my favourite.

PCB Red

Here is a couple of my macro attempts, using a cheap diopter lens attachment, with the RGB light underneath the card being changed to different colours to see the effect.

Blue PCB

Green PCB

Week 33 - Square

A photo frame in the hall provided the subject matter for this theme. To create the reflection I am shining a torch at the edge of the frame, by adjusting the height and distance from the frame the reflection changed shape. The chosen photo had the most accurate representation of the square.

Framed

One of first photos I took of the frame I do like but not sure how much it would meet the theme, although it does have a square edge.

Frame

A nice set of catch up shots. It's hard to choose between them.

As with Helen above, a lovely set of catch up shots. I like the cheese grater just for it's unusual angle.

Week 34 - Small

My first time photographing something with glycerin added, happy with the results, though not getting the lights reflecting would have improved it. The pencil is a multi colour version that was purchased in the Science and Industry museum in Manchester.

Pencil Drop by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 35 - Snappers Choice

The peace lily will be suffering trauma after I had my hands on it, the angle of the flower and leave in the photo have been manually adjusted using a variety of attachments. I don't know about anybody else but I can see visually what I want to produce but for some reason it doesn't always look the same through the lens, maybe I need to shoot with "nifty 50" to be more like what my eyes see.

Peace Lily

Week 36 - Scapes

An afternoon on a sailing taster with my wife on the River Forth creating many photo opportunities with the weather playing its part. It's a pity there is nothing going over the road bridge in the photo, but I'm basing the image on "Get Here (If You Can)" by Oleta Adams as it features 3 different transport routes (4 if you count the sky)

Get Here If You Can

Great composition. I'm not sure if I would prefer it without the boat? A strong image with or without!

That's a really interesting take on the theme, I quite like the boat it adds another element to the picture.

Excellent composition Stuart.
I'm in the "no boat" camp.
I think the image is very strong without it.

Nice catch ups Stuart. Love the pencil. ‘Scapes also good - I don’t mind the boat, but can see why some would prefer it without. Works either way.

Week 37 - Looking Up

I did actually take this in the week it was the theme, its a bit of a grab shot with my ageing work iPhone 8 in an old (now manned) railway building. It has been given the Snapseed edit treatment which has improved its appearance. Although it probably looks less dilapidated here than in real life.

Looking Up

Week 38 - Electrical

Continuing the railway connection and taken in the same building as week 37, this is a photo of old telecoms testing hardware. It was used to check the continuity and other elements of the copper cable carrying analogue phone lines. The handle on the side drives a cable "megger" which sends a high dc voltage down a connected pair of wires to check the insulation and any unwanted paths to earth. If you happen to touch the cabling while this process was taking place you felt a "bit more than a tingle!!!"

Old Telecom Tech by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Week 39 - Song

Way behind on my submissions for the TP 52 this year, hopefully I can at get closer to the current week soon. This is my effort for "Depict A Song Title", it's a perfume bottle photographed under red "gelled" lights. I have stretched a duplicate of the image over the background in post processing.

Song Title

Week 40 - Looking Down

This was my recent print entry in our monthly camera club competition, was awarded highly commended which equates to 17 out of 20 so I was very pleased. If you don't recognise the structure, it's one of the Kelpies sculpture, the reflection is from the water surrounding their base. As taken the image should be rotated 180 degrees but personally think it works better this way.

Reflecting On Drier Days

Week 42 - Precision

I was fortunate to recently enjoy a 7 day Northern European cruise, this was taken in Hamburg city centre, it's the town hall and is a vast neo-renaissance building with many intricate features. It's amazing to think how much detail was included as part of the design especially when they didn't have access to the technological advances we take for granted nowadays.

Detailed Architecture

Week 43 - Vehicle

I just mentioned for week 42 about my recent cruise, which makes a great image for the "Vehicle" theme. This is the MSC Preziosa which I cruised on docked in the port of Rotterdam, it was taken on a quick photo stop during a bus tour to Amsterdam.

Docked in Rotterdam by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 45 - Snapper Choice + Tech

Killing "two birds" getting the tech in for my Snappers Choice. It won't be a surprise to you that this is a composite, although no other photos have been added to the final image. First the original was changed to mono, next the left side of the original has been duplicated, moved to the right and mirrored horizontally. This was done to cover an unwanted element on the right. The full edited image was duplicated again and then mirrored vertically with the final step being the added duplicate layer having its opacity reduced until it looked more like a reflection.

Abstract Corridor

Back