Wild Swans! …post them in this communal thread.

Nice to get the reflection Stu ... generally Swans are either fine with people nearby or they will hiss their disapproval! :)

Hey roger how ya doing bro? Yeah you are of course right ,but I wanted to outline care she is on a nest after all, tis seriously important!! Although I haven't physically held a mute i've messed with other swans held cygnets bla de bla so have a bit of experience to draw on. The reflection was hard won bro really hard, all the best frames she had the third eyelid (brain dead mate can't get proper name hmm nictitating membrane??)shut. But Roger what a joy,she was so cool

Daniel she is a she stake me life on it:p:D, I went after her fella if I could have got him how I wanted you would revise I promise, yeah I know mate from one pic it might seem she is he from the face but if her man was in this you would give me this one .Ahh mate he was utterly splendid, full of him self. Daniel I always doubt me, almost always I would defer.....just not this time;)

Cheers on the take:banana:

Buddy, over 48 hours of hard, full bore physical graft in 4 days,(one 20min break one per day),that is why I am not posting much,I can barely view the images I take let alone post,but I am somehow getting pictures and banking them for one day when life is not like this. Buddy on this day I saw my very first Hawfinch (pics horrible and too far) but WOW at 52 years old, my first one ever and one pic shows me something I'll lay a bet few know..... I spent time with a greylag whom became my friend:oops: :$ lots mate I just work sleep look out for me frogs and work more but still the pics are being banked, god knows how???.

Just wanted to contribute to your COOL thread buddy so made it happen(y)

Educate me on tonal separation Daniel can you try to explain or show me please ? Remember I don't yet have PS,I want it mate,but no time to even post, so how can I try to learn that when I can barely stand up,ha ha but I'm good bro just hard stuff I can deal with that;) You can gladly edit the image,but I see you have mentioned that a few times so let me be the trial,it might help someone else too:cool:

Take care both

Stu

stake me life on it

Hi Stu

get ready for your new life as… I really don't know how I will use you
but certainly not a slave!

If you look at the face, you see a big black bump and a very orange bill.
The female has a much lesser orange bill and a much smaller bump.

As to tonal separation, the internet will provide in better english some
tutorial about that.

Hi Stu

tutorial about that.

Hi Stu

tutorial about that.

Yeah, a new life would be kinda cool got ten hours in hos yesterday for good measure,bro I'm ok nowt to worry on just needed to be sure on why a finger went black without reason but bless ya mate my boss just wanted to know if I would be at work monday LMAO:rolleyes:!!

With regards to sex, well Daniel, the other one did have a bigger bump and yup the brighter bill,but hey buddy it matters not;). The only way we would really ever know is if I could get me mitts(hands) on her flip her over and vent sex

But this debate did make me ponder on a serious level,is your French mute swan exactly the same as my English one,is there a slight regional variation,that gives you one point of view and me another,as I say if you are right cool if me no worries:D

The only thing I really care about is together they get some cygnets out and we can both experience the joy of more of these majestic waterfowl. Daniel, little kids (our children) will see these . They'll be told by mums and dads about the ugly duckling that turned into a stunning swan. Those kids might be us one day in awe of nature cause of two boy swans;) on a lake in the forest of Dean

That my friend is our future, that my friend is what pictures can do when the kid can't get to a pond

Ahh mate, ages spent with a wild bird, in a special place where they have chosen to make little ones. She wasn't bothered by me. Their kids, might make our kids jaws drop.

That's ok huh:cool::D

I'll look in to the tonal sep. cheers Daniel

Craig, second pic bro, dark background light through the feathers, action, movement, captured,I can't say about processing/sharpness or the other stuff,

but mate....... that rocks¬¬

take care both
Stu

…is your French mute swan exactly the same as my English one,is there a slight regional variation…

Stu, the only thing French in me is the language I speak
and common ancestors from around 1534 AD.

But Bill, that lives in the south of France recognized the
same traits than the ones we have in Austria.

A quite cloud ugly day granted
no great light but I got this…

C5525%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

Now that you know where they are, Tommy,
visit them more often and try to catch some
special lights or actions…

Welcome to the thread!

Thanks Kodiak, yes I can see just pictures on the river are quite normal. Your shot of them in flight has much more interest, I'm learning. We will probably go back to Stratford later on in the year but I'll look out for other opportunities in the meantime.

One from yesterday…

C5524%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
One from yesterday whilst out walking my mutts

Martin, I love this but, want the reflection: the bit I can see it is so damn cool,so clear I think if you had of gone to portrait this would be amazing!! Beautifully captured ,but always trying to push you cracking togs for more well done mate,seriously so
take care
Stu

Yet another portrait!
I'm getting to believe the 600 ƒ4 could
be a great portrait lens!

C6406%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

This spot of yours is quite pretty
compared to my wild marsh!

It's a nice spot and I can hire a scooter to get around. I was hoping to see some newborn's but it seemed lacking a little there, compared to our last visit last Autumn. A lot less ducks and swans about.

…at the end of a cloud ugly day…

I will have a try at 1000mm ƒ6.3 later in the week!

C6793%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

…but just 20 minutes later, the horizon cleared
enough for the Sun to sneak under and the marsh
got back some of its glorious colours…

C6875%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Martin, I love this but, want the reflection: the bit I can see it is so damn cool,so clear I think if you had of gone to portrait this would be amazing!! Beautifully captured ,but always trying to push you cracking togs for more well done mate,seriously so
take care
Stu
Thanks Stuart and I do know what you mean about the reflection. Unfortunately I was on a dog walk before work so did not really have time to play, I was walking away from it with 420mm of a 7D and it was swimming fast towards me as swans do when you have two big lurchers on leads. I also shoot most of my dog walk shots one handed as I have the dogs on leads in my left hand, portrait is not very balanced and requires 2 hands or more practice.

Less is more

Take two
by Martin Billard, on Flickr​

Last edited:

I said somewhere that the subject has, IMO,
a limited interest in a picture as LIGHT keeps
all my attention.

Evening low Sun sneaking under heavy black sky…

C9351%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

Just before a storm…
and what a storm it was!

C9092%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Family on the river Avon, Fordingbridge.

Not yet to be seen the little ones here!
Mike, have you tried highlight recovery?

Not yet to be seen the little ones here!
Mike, have you tried highlight recovery?
Hi Kodiak,
Is this in PSE7? I underexposed the first shot by -1ev, the second is at 0ev. The camera the highlights were flashing for the second, but the histogram looked fine for the first. I adjusted the light curves as much as I could, but the second was too blown to get anything back. But I thought it still made a nice photo. I only use Jpeg ( I find it a lot less faff) so I guess any highlight recovery would be limited ?

I only use Jpeg ( I find it a lot less faff) so I guess any highlight recovery would be limited ?

Yes, Mike, if you shoot jpg you kill any chance
to recover such extended DR… but you could
try to tone it down as you did with the first one.

Here's a couple from this afternoon, but I'm really not sure about the processing. I've also tried sharpening them with the Pro Sharpener 3 that comes with the NIK set of tools, but they may be too sharp? All comments welcome.
DSCF2732-adj-sfw.jpg DSCF2734-adj-sfw.jpg

Back