Wild Swans! …post them in this communal thread.

Thanks for that, Dave!

By setting the WB correctly, prior to conversion,
you may end up with better DR and tonal range.

Thanks for that, Dave!

By setting the WB correctly, prior to conversion,
you may end up with better DR and tonal range.
Yes, you may have a point. On a quick play, by setting the WB artificially cool, it's possible to recover slightly more highlight detail in the reflection (although the whole picture was perilously close to the sensor DR, even shooting RAW, and I should have backed off by about 1/3 of a stop, most likely). I'll bear that in mind when doing a more careful process, if I decide the shot is worth it. Thanks!

It is Friday… nothing to do today
but test a lens, relax and witness

others romance!

C4725%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

Jon, I don't know in detail what you did but
the sum of your PP looks very unnatural!

Nice females Brian…
though everything else is super cool,
I think the bird in the first take is too
bright for the light conditions.

Very cool capture Mike!

@mikew
Using tonal separation you could give it a
more dynamic rendition.

Last edited:

Do I see that the WB needs tweaking
in this graceful take? And what about
white recovery?

Very cool Toby!

1, needs tonal separation
2, as is
3, as is
4, I would crop to 1:1
5, brighten neck and head a tad.

Keep rocking, man!

Very cool Toby!
Thanks Kodiak!

1, needs tonal separation
From birds to background or generally?
I want to keep the soft look and on my monitor they are nicely separated but I do need to view it as large as possible (and on a black background) for it to look right.

4, I would crop to 1:1
thanks, I'll experiment with that again.

5, brighten neck and head a tad.
I know what you mean but it is a heavily backlit scene. I did try bringing them up more but it just looked unnatural.

I blew this one,they where right in front of me and 70mm on the 70-300 was too much,should have pointed the camera down for a second shot and joined them later.

DSC_6665.jpg

The whole scene is too flat, TS will bring life to it
Square but as tight as it goes
Did I say a tad? …to bring it up to a tasteful level.

Sounds like we are getting to the point of discussing different personal taste.
1. I wanted the flat scene, the birds actually use most of the histogram on their own, the background is concentrated in the middle. Stretching it just gives it a harsh look I didn't want.
2. I see what you mean, but I prefer the more open crop.
3. I thought I had brought it up to a tasteful level. My taste, not yours obviously ;)

Thanks for the critique though, it is good to hear what other people think of them.

My taste, not yours obviously

These are your images.

I may only make suggestions, according
to my experience, but in no way should
these suggestions be seen as instructions.

This guy was taking ownership of the lake

Yep, the most explosive composition:

a healthy male +
in Spring season +
a dominant status +
females in the vicinity!

Last edited:

Some more?

C4844%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
C4861%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
C4697%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:

Some details…

C5029%20EDpp.jpg

C5081%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Daniel,A joy to read through this!!!!!

To all some cracking images,really guys many many I love very inspiring !!!!

Daniel my effort as always open to critique i'm here to have a party ,(FUN) and learn. a lady taken this last weekend. With the bare 300 f2.8 and 1div no adjust to WB processed in dpp full frame lying on me back despately trying to get the lass and reflection in frame way too bright Stu was struggling with contrast. Blacks are blown I'm ok, I think, with that.

A bird on her nest,her fella had taken a dislike to some Khaki campell(probable crosses) drakes and was set on clearing the lake . The nest close to a foot path obviously birds not worried by people. That said a huge amount of care was shown by me. As you can see she was preening prior to this then a shuffle and some egg turning,then, this, a bit of nest tweaking and tidy up. I guess I spent 1/2 to an hour with her and at no time did I feel I was bothering her. This facet a huge thing to me,just a hint of me disturbing her would have meant no pics,but she really wasn't bothered by my presence. I suppose this is obvious she and her mate choose this site close to children and adult folks having a lovely walk,,but hey I didn't want to bother her. Shot was no easy thing damn difficult to get around all the "stuff" between us .

_70F3597 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Thanks again to all that have posted,it's been so cool to be inspired by the images shown

take care all

Stu

Nice to get the reflection Stu ... generally Swans are either fine with people nearby or they will hiss their disapproval! :)

Stu,

— first thing is that this nester is a male! …gotcha! :whistle:
— second thing is that your take is unique… brilliant. :clap:
— next thing is… when do we see you again?

I think though that you could try to add some pop effect
through tonal separation, just a tad!

Back