weekly Tango 32's 2014 52 challenge Week 39 -44 added

HI Craig

Cracking motion blur on the rotor & blades of the copter :clap: .....sky is.....a let down but not a lot you can do about that ! Lifting the shadows as mentioned might just help get the occupants in view a bit more

Communicate....fab use of DOF , really sharp on the foremost person & the pipes....background is probably the best you could hope for and doesn't detract (y)

Hi sorry I haven't popped in here to look and comment for a while, life has been a little bit hectic for me. And now with long hours in my new job trying to sort out camera time is hard to do.

Fall - lovely capture for the theme great motion blur on the blades job well done and is ok for the theme for me.

Communicate - works for the theme for me.

Last edited:
Hiya Craig, sorry, not been in here for awhile :oops: :$

Some great images(y) liking the close up of the beak on the young gull, ya certainly wouldn't want a peck!

Hi Craig

Fall - slight crowbar as you've admitted but it's still in flight which means it's not falling so there's a sort of double link :) I think the shot it excellent as far as the copter goes - love the blur as others have mentioned and for me all the technicals are spot on. I don't mind the shadows being dark for a change as it's supposed to be dark in there, but I can see what others are saying and why. The sky is what it is - we don't yet have the power to change that except digitally in PS. So don't get too hung up on it... it's not a landscape where you could have returned at a different (better?) time as the copter would have gone. I think well done on this one - everything in your control you mastered and delivered a very solid shot (y)

Communication I'm less enthralled by, but it's still a decent enough shot - it's more what else is in the frame and the framing itself of the pipers that isn't as strong for me. Others seem to approve so who am I to disagree! I guess I just feel you've taken better shots before... but it's a tough theme and I think you've done well to get something which ticks the box.

Looking forward to your next shots :)

Hi Craig

Sharp - like the pov and the angle of the gull's head. Bit dark maybe
Pure - that is a good capture of an alert pose- makes one wonder what he is looking at.
Sparkle - certainly caught some sparkle but a bit overexposed and washed out for me. - But a difficult light to contend with
Fall - certainly a crowbar as it is not falling! But good capture of the helicopter and the rotor blades. Sky has been mentioned
Communication - I am with Paul @pjm1 on this

HI Craig

Cracking motion blur on the rotor & blades of the copter :clap: .....sky is.....a let down but not a lot you can do about that ! Lifting the shadows as mentioned might just help get the occupants in view a bit more

Communicate....fab use of DOF , really sharp on the foremost person & the pipes....background is probably the best you could hope for and doesn't detract (y)
Hi sorry I haven't popped in here to look and comment for a while, life has been a little bit hectic for me. And now with long hours in my new job trying to sort out camera time is hard to do.

Fall - lovely capture for the theme great motion blur on the blades job well done and is ok for the theme for me.

Communicate - works for the theme for me.
Hiya Craig, sorry, not been in here for awhile :oops: :$

Some great images(y) liking the close up of the beak on the young gull, ya certainly wouldn't want a peck!
The panning seems to have been done well. I like the framing of the tops of the pipes into the corner of the frame
Hi Craig

Fall - slight crowbar as you've admitted but it's still in flight which means it's not falling so there's a sort of double link :) I think the shot it excellent as far as the copter goes - love the blur as others have mentioned and for me all the technicals are spot on. I don't mind the shadows being dark for a change as it's supposed to be dark in there, but I can see what others are saying and why. The sky is what it is - we don't yet have the power to change that except digitally in PS. So don't get too hung up on it... it's not a landscape where you could have returned at a different (better?) time as the copter would have gone. I think well done on this one - everything in your control you mastered and delivered a very solid shot (y)

Communication I'm less enthralled by, but it's still a decent enough shot - it's more what else is in the frame and the framing itself of the pipers that isn't as strong for me. Others seem to approve so who am I to disagree! I guess I just feel you've taken better shots before... but it's a tough theme and I think you've done well to get something which ticks the box.

Looking forward to your next shots :)
Hi Craig

Sharp - like the pov and the angle of the gull's head. Bit dark maybe
Pure - that is a good capture of an alert pose- makes one wonder what he is looking at.
Sparkle - certainly caught some sparkle but a bit overexposed and washed out for me. - But a difficult light to contend with
Fall - certainly a crowbar as it is not falling! But good capture of the helicopter and the rotor blades. Sky has been mentioned
Communication - I am with Paul @pjm1 on this

Thanks all for taking the time to comment - again i am way behind on photos

Wow, what a sky there Craig! Fantastic shot. Did you get wet?

Well composed and the bright bits working really well to emphasise the darkness under the clouds.

My only thought might be a thin slice off the bottom to give a more panoramic format and conform more to thirds.

:clap:

Last edited:
Hiya Craig, great shot, very dramatic, good colour, dark with just enough detail (y) I thought like Graham, a bit cropped off the bottom (to just below the dark textured line in the sand) and I'd like to see just a little off the top too :)

Actually Craig, its easier to show you what I mean :D...if you want mi to take it off, just say :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvqxjvehcdc5qzp/Not my image.jpg?dl=0

Hi, I think its all been mentioned above crit wise crop a little off top and bottom for me, nice sky though

don't think I'd crop the top but maybe a bit off bottom ... or nothing at all!

lovely shot, lovely idea. :clap:

Dark and foreboding.

Cracking sky they and I like the empty and bleak beach.

May have been mentioned but is crop in a little mainly at the top.

Cheers.

Hiya Craig, great shot, very dramatic, good colour, dark with just enough detail (y) I thought like Graham, a bit cropped off the bottom (to just below the dark textured line in the sand) and I'd like to see just a little off the top too :)

Actually Craig, its easier to show you what I mean :D...if you want mi to take it off, just say :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvqxjvehcdc5qzp/Not my image.jpg?dl=0

Thanks Phil it does improve the photo

Hi Craig

Have to agree with others about crop but an absolutely brooding sky - well captured
Hi, I think its all been mentioned above crit wise crop a little off top and bottom for me, nice sky though
don't think I'd crop the top but maybe a bit off bottom ... or nothing at all!

lovely shot, lovely idea. :clap:
Cracking dark shot, Craig. As an image, I'd like the shadows to be lightened somewhat, but for the theme I can understand why you haven't. Good job and nice take!! (y)
I love it Craig, a really super shot ...that sky is amazing....for me you've captured it perfectly, I like it just as it is.
Dark and foreboding.

Cracking sky they and I like the empty and bleak beach.

May have been mentioned but is crop in a little mainly at the top.

Cheers.

thanks all

Fallen behind with pics and commenting again.... I will catch up

Hi all, Really sorry for the lack of pictures / comments some tough times and decisions with my teenage daughter has put me off schedule and not really interested in much :(
but I did say I would not drop out this year so here is my catchup - some require large crowbar, some have been taken off the phone as I haven't taken my camera out for a while
they are not very good but it helps me catch up and now with a little bit of mojo found Im looking forward to taking this weeks picture and commenting again.

No comments expected

week 39 Big Open Space
big open space by Craigw1978, on Flickr

week 40 Cutting through the water

seal pup st ives by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Week 41 Balance

Aust by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Week 42 Change in the seasons

Tiddersly woods by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Week 43 re-shoot Sparkle

sparkle re-shoot by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Week 44 - Joker Weston Super Mare Low water

weston low water by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Week 45 First

jacket by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Well done Craig, would be a real shame to have made it this far and not have the pleasure and relief of posting week 52. :)

The seal and the fishing rods are the one that stand out for me from that set.

Is the seal swimming up hill a bit though, have you room to straighten it a bit anti clockwise?

Like the blur of the horizon in the rods shot, and the feeling of solitude there. B&w could work for this one?

Good for you Craig :clap: Loving the seal shot, it looks very wet and shiny, just as it should do and I think you've done really well to capture it at exactly the right moment. The shot for sparkle's beautiful. I like how you've managed to capture both the sun and its reflection with the light leading the eye to the anglers (y)

Hiya Craig - welcome back! Good to see you back in it... so big well done.

Big open space - well, it's definitely on theme :) Not sure if the horizon is wonky but it looks it... but a good shot with an interesting sky and some nice reflections from the sand. I might be tempted to zoom in more so you lose the top section of sky and the bottom section of sand, but otherwise it's a nicely taken photo.

Cutting through the water - great capture. I've never really taken animal shots (bar macro) so don't have a clue how to go about it other than just snapping away. I think you've captured some lovely detail there, it's brilliantly in focus and the water is nice a blurry in the background. Super job (y) (perhaps bring back a tiny bit of shadow detail on the eye?)

Balance - I really like the hazy evening sky and sea. I would pull up the shadows in the foreground quite a bit but otherwise it's a nice (y) again for this one... Agree with Graham that you could really punch up the contrast and convert to B&W :)

Change isn't really doing it for me - not enough visible changing (it looks like it's already happened!) and sloping horizon combined with lack of obvious interest point just leaves me wondering a bit.

Sparkle - good effort with a technically very difficult shot. I think you've probably got a bit too much sun in the shot for it really to work perfectly, but it's definitely on theme. If you'd pulled the exposure comp WAY back and then "HDR'd" it in post (lift the shadows massively you might have got a bit more detail out of the blown areas.

Joker - now this is a better implementation (for me) of the previous shot. I like the rays coming in from the top but the fact you've left the sun out gives you a lot more exposure latitude. Nicely done! (y)

Hi Craig ....good to see you're still here and well done with your catch up, the seal shot is really lovely. super shot of the seal and the silky smooth water. I really like the sparkle shot with the anglers in the distance, and the joker is smashing....hope you manage to finish off these next few weeks.

Hi Craig ... good catchup .... I particularly like Balance ... well composed, nicely focused, nice idea for the theme. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Craig

good to see you back for the final countdown to the finish (y)

Fishing rod shot stands out to me ( though it does need a teeny cw rotation )...looks a proper murky day ! Closely followed by the seal shot......:) Oddly your Joker shot shows more Sparkle than your Sparkle shot to me :D

Hi Craig
Big - good colour and nice sweep of diagonal lines in sky and sand. (y)Not sure horizon is straight
Cut - bit more space to left poss and eye a bit dark - nice feel of motion
Balance - good comp and on theme - looks early morning light . Touch dark and there are some fluorescent colours there which could be brightened to give impact
Change - bit dark and not a lot going on
Sparkle - on theme nice and sparkly - figures help by giving scale. might be tempted to try portrait orientation
First - on theme, has immediate impact, very clear and good exposure

Not far to go now. :)

Bugger... Think I have missed these, had lost the tread subscription :thinking:

A great catch up Craig and some real nice images even with the phone

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your teenage daughter :( ... I have one of them, and mine sure does tend to throw a spanner in the works on a weekly basis to say the least Grrrrrr

Anyway - I really like the seal image, such lovely looking creatures

Balance works very well for the theme, a great angle

Change looks very bleak indeed.... trees look so harsh with no leaves, again a good subject matter

Sparkle - A lovely image, really like sea scapes at this time of evening, the sun just popping into fram works real well :)

Anyway, glad to see you still in it, for me it is good to use thew 52 to get your mind back out of every day hassle, hope it's working for you too (y)

Back