The 2013 Season F1 Thread

So the F1 circus resumes this weekend. Looks like we are in for a Red Bull/Ferrari battle this weekend.
Jennie Gow on the BBC's Chequered Flag podcast described Barcelona as "the home of bullfighting". You'd think that someone that describes them self as a journalist would know that a) that's just plain wrong and b) it's been banned in Cataluña for a while now. I have no idea just what point the idiot was trying to make. :wacky:
I'm looking forward to the race and hoping it doesn't go Vettel's way.

Could be right there since 2006 ferrari and red bull have triumphed most on this cct but thats no guide the obvious dark horses of merc and lotus are lurking
Webber / vettalmacher are going to be good to watch, is it still simmering or has it been forgotten Does Webber strike you as the forgetful type

Pity the two bulls arnt close could have been fun, Strange how Marks form seems to have gone off a bit
If recent races are anything to go by, Nico should let (told) hamy through and then hold up Vettalmacher or am I just being cynical
Kimi should be in the top 3 barring accidents and breakdowns

I just love the look on Kimi's face because he "only" finished second. Over half the grid would give a kidney to finish second, Kimi - :crying:

I wait with interest to see his reaction to winning another race.

Race verdict, sort the tyres out, too many pit stops, and a shame to see them tootling round, Hamiltons face was a picture "I don't like this - I was on the front row and got overtaken by a Williams :( "

David

Tyre deg Tyre deg Tyre deg, confusing race, even the drivers were confused who they were racing. This Tyre thing is damaging to F1. ... Sad

Have to say, Alonso was epic today! !

Last edited:
Tyre deg Tyre deg Tyre deg, confusing race, even the drivers were confused who they were racing. This Tyre thing is damaging to F1. ... Sad

! !

I have to agree, the great Pirelli attrition test is just boring, drivers aren't even fighting to stop being overtaken because their tyre schedule is different, in around 15 years of watching F1 this year is the first I've considered not bothering watching.

It's becoming a procession of tyre saving, it's just losing any thrill.

On a more positive note, skys presentation is improving, liking the banter between the presenters, much more relaxed.

Technically a good race. Didnt expect two furrys on the podium and I bet Lotus are scratching there heads to why grosjeans car fell to bits
Great for Kimi
Its a sad day when the fastest man out there says he cant drive any slower in the middle of an F1 race
Dont see how the plastic tyres are making it more interesting but they are certainly making it more confusing
Did anyone see the interview with bernie on qualifying day? Tell me again that he is the sharpest tool in the box

The plastic tyres are only going to be tweeked for safety to stop the delamination
unlike what the press are shouting about
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107487
Fia regs prevent wholesale changes or revision to 2012 tyres
Worn out tyres and pit stops will be the norm for this year then

Fia regs prevent wholesale changes or revision to 2012 tyres
Worn out tyres and pit stops will be the norm for this year then

So, just like 2011 then, where there were lots of pit stops for tyres in the first half of the season until the teams figured out how to make them last. Red Bull weren't complaining about 4 stopping in Spain then though, as they won.

So, just like 2011 then, where there were lots of pit stops for tyres in the first half of the season until the teams figured out how to make them last. Red Bull weren't complaining about 4 stopping in Spain then though, as they won.

Yep
Pirelli confirm tyre changes minimal FIA has spoken then good
Whilst I think the tyres are not the right thing for F1 I also would have objected if they changed them mid season to suit those that are having trouble winning

http://www.f1.co.uk/read-news/2013/...irm-only-minimal-changes-to-tyres-from-canada

Makes you wonder whats in store for the V6's next year
Bernie now wants custom chassis so marussia can race a Maclarean chassis with a mercedes engine Might as well just make one car and everybody races it Oh thats been tried hasnt it
Bernie might just be like Mr Bridger and pull all the strings from his prison cell In his case a german jobie might seal his fate

Not much interest in Monarco
But kimi will have a fight to get on the podium this time
4 fast in front and 1 fast alongside
It will be intresting to see how he fairs

Let me be the first to wish the very best to Mr F1. Murray Walker, who has been diagnosed with Lymphatic Cancer.
So sadly this year he will not be at Silverstone just ten days from now.

Get well soon Murray.

Let me be the first to wish the very best to Mr F1. Murray Walker, who has been diagnosed with Lymphatic Cancer.
So sadly this year he will not be at Silverstone just ten days from now.

Get well soon Murray.

Update it appears treatable

http://joeblogsf1.com/

Last edited:
Let's hope he recovers soon.

I've been hit by the bombshell that Antonio Lobato (F1 commentator on Antena 3 and the best I've ever known) has decided to give up F1 because he's away from home too much.

Well. If this clip from Renault is anything to go by, then maybe you'll not even need ear defenders at F1 from next season.
Yes it's still high revving. But that F1 sound has gone. For once I think Bernie was right in saying it was the wrong way to go.

http://www.renaultsport.com/Come-on-feel-the-noise,2630.html?lang=fr

Your link seems to intimate it's still going to be noisy.

Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain. The engine noise is just a turbocharged noise rather than a normally aspirated noise : you can just hear the turbo when the driver lifts off the throttle and the engine speed drops.

A moped with a "spanny" is loud, as is an 88" Harley with straight through pipes however, I would describe the 2 stroke as noisy but enjoy the big twin! (Ditto an Astra farting through a bean can compared to a V8...)

Not the same as the sound of the non-turbo cars we have had for the last 24 years.

But back to the way it sounded for the 20-30 years prior to that ;).

So it's actually a retro thing.

Don't forget, the most dominant car in F1 history was the McLaren Honda of 1988 (Senna and Prost)
15/16 wins
10/16 second places

10 1-2 finishes out of 16 races, and the drivers were 1-2 in the championship at the end,