The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

People - nice bright colours, but as a subject does not work for me, having said that I wonder if you couldn't of got a much better composition?

Stark - I agree with Dark knights Comments, It is a lovely little snowy hillside and my favorite take on the theme so far.

Great photo, you can almost feel the cold!

Very nice Stark shot Sir, fits the theme pretty well in my book.(y)

George.

Cold stark shot is a good shot, it looks like it`s in mono but I do like it.

That's a nice snowy hillside Michael, I like the track/road leading up from the bottom and the misty tree tops that merge into the sky, a stark winter scene for sure :)

People - nice bright colours, but as a subject does not work for me, having said that I wonder if you couldn't of got a much better composition?

Stark - I agree with Dark knights Comments, It is a lovely little snowy hillside and my favorite take on the theme so far.

It sells the story of a cold stark wilderness for me.
(y)

Real winter scene Michael. The slight magenta cast adds to the feeling of cold for me.

Cold and stark ... works for me.

I agree very cold and stark great scene

Thank you everyone for all the comments. Appreciated as always.

So on with over, finally got a new lens sorted after repair was taking ages, so got out today with and managed to get a shot I liked, Can't quite decide on the cropped or uncropped version, edging towards the former. Edit, This is part of the Go Ape high rope course at Canock Chase

over #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

over #2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like your entry for Stark.

Your entry for Over could fit Stark too.. :) I also can't see the difference between 1 and 2, so I like both of them ;)

I thought it quite abstract and didn't really understand until I read your explanation.
Looking at the versions on your personal thread, at first glance you don't notice that they are two pictures and actually I preferred that, giving you a square image with the black cross in each corner (iyswim).
All in all, an interesting take on the theme.

Over - they look the same to me too - spot on for the theme and and quite abstract too

Thanks everyome, with regards to the crop, they look very similar here, looks only to be noticed when viewed larger, the top one is a slightly more cropped version, taking out a little of the sky and being zoomed in a tad. Pleased its gone down well.

To be honest I can't tell the differnce between 1 and 2

Clever use of over, on theme.

Stark
That's a really nice landscape.

Over
I'm not sure what it is, but i prefer #1

I recognised this as Go Ape straight away. I too can't really tell the difference between the two edits. But it's a good picture and fits the theme well.

Nice, clean, slightly abstracty submission. (y)

I really like your entry for Stark.

Your entry for Over could fit Stark too.. :) I also can't see the difference between 1 and 2, so I like both of them ;)

I thought it quite abstract and didn't really understand until I read your explanation.
Looking at the versions on your personal thread, at first glance you don't notice that they are two pictures and actually I preferred that, giving you a square image with the black cross in each corner (iyswim).
All in all, an interesting take on the theme.

Over - they look the same to me too - spot on for the theme and and quite abstract too

I like the vivid colours for People, Michael, and the close-up angle gives it a slightly zany feel, which goes well with the colours. Stark is a lovely scene and perfect for the theme with the strong contrast and the cold feel, and you found the ideal subject for Over; I think both crops work well but I would probably favour #2 as it brings the eye straight to the two bold X's. Well spotted (y)

Over, whats not to like? Clean, simple, sharp and very contrasty, as has been said above it would have made a nice image for stark too :)

Interesting almost abstract submission for over. I like the photo and the processing!

Thank you everyone :)

I like the vivid colours for People, Michael, and the close-up angle gives it a slightly zany feel, which goes well with the colours. Stark is a lovely scene and perfect for the theme with the strong contrast and the cold feel, and you found the ideal subject for Over; I think both crops work well but I would probably favour #2 as it brings the eye straight to the two bold X's. Well spotted (y)

Over, whats not to like? Clean, simple, sharp and very contrasty, as has been said above it would have made a nice image for stark too :)

Over - I wasn't sure what it was either, but indeed a clever use for the theme, not sure that I can see any difference between the 2 images :thinking:

Interesting almost abstract submission for over. I like the photo and the processing!

Yes an interesting take for over, but do like it.

Hi Michael,

Gate, like the use of focus and the really strong colour in the back ground,
People, again really like the strong popping colours.
Stark. A really good image for the theme.
Over, my favourite, nice almost abstract photo very well executed IMHO.
Age Works for me, I particularly like the textures in the grass and the subdued lighting.

Hi Michael,

Gate, like the use of focus and the really strong colour in the back ground,
People, again really like the strong popping colours.
Stark. A really good image for the theme.
Over, my favourite, nice almost abstract photo very well executed IMHO.
Age Works for me, I particularly like the textures in the grass and the subdued lighting.

Good take for age Michael, nice lighting and the ageing trains and grass overgrowth goes well together.

That's a great photo, good light and good composition!

Bleak, wintery, dilapidated feel. (y)

Thank you everyone for popping by and commenting.

Now on to last weeks theme of sharp and this weeks of guard or guarded

Sharp, also tried a vertical crop on one of these shots, but it didn't grab my attention as much as the landscape orientation did.

sharp by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Guard / Guarded, Spring is in the air and the Mute Swans were on guard around there territories today, 2 options here as I can't quite decide, just a single birdor to have the one with the other being chased off

mute swan #3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

mute swan by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hi Michael,

Age - Dunno, but for me I would have preferred a tighter shot on either the 25 or the crane (but probably the 25).
Sharp - Nice simple image, but works really well :)
Guard - The second of the two shots for me, both have action but the blues in the second edge it for me.

Sharp, great minds and all that, excellent subject :)

First swan shot for me, well capture action and I like the light

Sharp - that really does look wickedly sharp and has lovely colour in it.

The light was good that day, thanks for looking in :)

Hi Michael,

Age - Dunno, but for me I would have preferred a tighter shot on either the 25 or the crane (but probably the 25).
Sharp - Nice simple image, but works really well :)
Guard - The second of the two shots for me, both have action but the blues in the second edge it for me.

Going tighter on the 25 was one shot I didn't do, if I get the chance to visit again and I remember I shall give it a go!

Sharp - as Mark said great colour and nice and sharp.

Thank you, being blessed with good light made a nice change!

Sharp, great minds and all that, excellent subject :)

First swan shot for me, well capture action and I like the light

Thank you Chris.

Michael

Sharp lush tones against that solid BG, pin sharp too (y)

And Swan #2 ... well caught. (y)

Sharp is great. Very sharp image and those thorns look 'orrible!

Guard(ed) - perfectly on theme. We have loads of swans on the lakes I fish. At certain times of the year, they will guard their territory to within an inch of their lives

Age(ing) - bang on for the theme and a good find.

Sharp - Ouch those thorns look very sharp, fits nicely for the theme, just not sure I like the vertical stem.

Guard(ed) - both shots work well for the theme, but the first shot just has the edge for me, really beautiful shot.

Aged - Difficult to see the aged'd loco's.

Sharp - very sharp indeed,
Guard - both pictures capture the action well.

Pete

Michael

Sharp lush tones against that solid BG, pin sharp too (y)

And Swan #2 ... well caught. (y)

Sharp is great. Very sharp image and those thorns look 'orrible!

Guard(ed) - perfectly on theme. We have loads of swans on the lakes I fish. At certain times of the year, they will guard their territory to within an inch of their lives

Age(ing) - bang on for the theme and a good find.

Sharp - Ouch those thorns look very sharp, fits nicely for the theme, just not sure I like the vertical stem.

Guard(ed) - both shots work well for the theme, but the first shot just has the edge for me, really beautiful shot.

Sharp
Looks a bit lethal

Guard
A couple of good action shots.

Aged - Difficult to see the aged'd loco's.

Sharp - very sharp indeed,
Guard - both pictures capture the action well.

Pete

Thank you everyone for the comments :)

Now onto this weeks theme of thick.

A bit of thick Smoke from the 37's, (also they are not exactly slim...) a fair bit of thick vegetation in the foreground.... then an alternative

princess elizabeth, west shed by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

A fair bit of thick metal work around here...

princess elizabeth, lichfield #3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I think someone has been interpreting the theme to fit trains in this week ;). Nevertheless, I like pictures of old(ish) trains so I'll let you off this time.

Back