The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

Shows are usally a nightmare for getting a clean BG, so I think the crop is the best way to go.I like the muted colours as well.

Abundance - some lovely detail in the torn ends of the sticks
Heavy - I like the tight symmetrical crop a lovely old vehicle.
Wet - great reflection certainly looks very wet under foot.

Nice Image of a old heavy truck, close crop works well.
Wet, it certinally is and the reflection adds to the image.

Pete

Thank you everyone for the comments :)

Now onto this weeks theme of thick.

A bit of thick Smoke from the 37's, (also they are not exactly slim...) a fair bit of thick vegetation in the foreground.... then an alternative

princess elizabeth, west shed by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

A fair bit of thick metal work around here...

princess elizabeth, lichfield #3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Here's an alternative....

book shelf #5 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Or

book shelf #7 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Prefer the books for thick, especially the 1st one. The trains didn't really do it for me for the theme, but the B&W one alone is a cracking image

Abundance.

abundance by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Personally like this one, right on theme for me. Some nice colours in there :).

Heavy, had a couple of options, decided on this one from a wander around Tatton Park on Sunday.

Not quite in the best postion for a full vehicle photograph, decided to go upfront for the more full on and imposing look

scammell truck #3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Love this image, slightly more on the right hand side than on the left if I had to try and find a fault, still a great image that fits the theme well :)

Thanks David, I might give a vignette a try if I have a bit of spare time.

Much appreciated George, thank you.

Thank you Georgina, It was parked right next to a wall, the side on view was very unflattering and looked totally untidy! So around the front I went.

Now on to Wet, I have a few which would fit this theme, as it was raining quite a bit on thursday, but still got a window of dry weather and had the camera with me while the children were doing there forest school.

Settled on this one as I like the reflection of Elvaston Castle.

elvaston castle #32 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Other options on flickr if anyone fancies a look

Great reflection, given how miserable of a day it looks I think it looks beautiful.

Fit the theme :)

Two good ideas and images for the last two themes, Michael. The head-on view of the old truck works well to emphasise its lovely old lines and shape, and the reflection of the building emphasises just how waterlogged that ground is; great idea and nicely captured too (y)

Nice shot with a good reflection

Very nice wet image. Bang on theme. Wish it wasn't wet here and wish I wasn't bored as I would have tried to keep away from this thread. Had exactly the same idea!

You've executed it very well

The reflection in the puddle draws the eye to the wetness, good idea for the theme

Shows are usally a nightmare for getting a clean BG, so I think the crop is the best way to go.I like the muted colours as well.

Abundance - some lovely detail in the torn ends of the sticks
Heavy - I like the tight symmetrical crop a lovely old vehicle.
Wet - great reflection certainly looks very wet under foot.

Nice Image of a old heavy truck, close crop works well.
Wet, it certinally is and the reflection adds to the image.

Pete

Prefer the books for thick, especially the 1st one. The trains didn't really do it for me for the theme, but the B&W one alone is a cracking image

Personally like this one, right on theme for me. Some nice colours in there :).

Love this image, slightly more on the right hand side than on the left if I had to try and find a fault, still a great image that fits the theme well :)

Great reflection, given how miserable of a day it looks I think it looks beautiful.

Fit the theme :)

waterlogged but caught the reflection nicely.

Two good ideas and images for the last two themes, Michael. The head-on view of the old truck works well to emphasise its lovely old lines and shape, and the reflection of the building emphasises just how waterlogged that ground is; great idea and nicely captured too (y)

Big thanks everyone for taking the time to look in and comment, very much appreciated! Only just managing to look properly, been ill since monday. Coming round a bit more now. Should be out tomorrow and hope to get something for this weeks theme.

Really like heavy, a great old truck and you have captured it very well. Hope you feel better after your Tramadol experience, horrid painkillers.

Good work getting the reflection that clear, without ripples. I suspect a significant amount of careful positioning was needed to get that shot (y)

Thanks Tim, Needless to say, my boots were quite well mudded up and damp after wandering around to find the best puddle!

On to juxtaposition. Managed to get out over the weekend, and sunday saw a visit to chirk castle, which I must say is a lovely place! I was hoping for something to git the theme, and on the way back to the car this scene jumped out at me, with the position of the hydrant sign and the castle in the background.

juxtaposition from chirk castle 1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Michael

Nice shot, love the angle of the shot and the blue sky against the stone work. The yellow of the sign makes it stand out and fit the theme.

Pete

Agree with the other comments, the modern fire hydrant sign contrasts well with the castle (even though they've made an effort to blend it in a bit). the lens distortion, from the low POV, really emphasises the size.

Heavy - great image, interesting old vehicle love the symmetry in the image.
Wet - a beautiful capture, lovely reflection of the castle in the water, good idea.
Juxtaposition - a well spotted find for the theme, good low angle like this alot.

Juxtaposition

A good find, probably something I would have walked past. I like the pov.

Well spotted Michael, I really like the POV with the castle towering over the sign.

Michael

Nice shot, love the angle of the shot and the blue sky against the stone work. The yellow of the sign makes it stand out and fit the theme.

Pete

Yep well spotted and taken shot for the juxta theme, does look good having the castle towering over the scene.

Agree with the other comments, the modern fire hydrant sign contrasts well with the castle (even though they've made an effort to blend it in a bit). the lens distortion, from the low POV, really emphasises the size.

Yep that's got to be a Juxtaposition. :)

Well spotted, like the low angle view.

Heavy - great image, interesting old vehicle love the symmetry in the image.
Wet - a beautiful capture, lovely reflection of the castle in the water, good idea.
Juxtaposition - a well spotted find for the theme, good low angle like this alot.

Juxtaposition

A good find, probably something I would have walked past. I like the pov.

Thanks everyone for those comments, was quite pleased with this one myself so glad it's gone down well. Apologies for not getting around to look and comment on all your submissions for the themes.

Now onto a catch up of straight, oval and unattractive...

straight

Middleham Castle by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

oval, didn't notice the highlights until I loaded the pic up on the laptop, oops. Not too bothered by them though.

canons ashby by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Unattractive

canons ashby by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Good catch up Michael, nice straight lines and good texture in the wood, I like how you have used the mirror in oval the scarecrow pic not a bird in sight, obviously unattractive to birds :wideyed:

Great catchup! The one that stands out for me is straight. Great colours and textures in the wood, and great DoF!

Hi Michael,

Straight - Hmm, not sure on this one. I get what you're doing, but as the leading line of the wooden (bannister?) is actually leading to a subject, yet the subject in very OOF, it feels a bit odd.

Oval - Nicely done with the reflection sharp (okay I hadn't realised it was a mirror until I read Allan's comment, then it was obvious).

Unattractive - Was there an angle where you could have gotten eye contact? ;)

Good catch up Michael, nice straight lines and good texture in the wood, I like how you have used the mirror in oval the scarecrow pic not a bird in sight, obviously unattractive to birds :wideyed:

Thanks Allan

Hi Michael, I really like Straight,perspective is spot on, I might have been tempted with a crop off the top, lots of detail in your Oval and your poor Scarecrow, I think he looks quite smart but obliviously the birds don't like him! Great idea for the topic.

Thank you Susie, a crop would work. It was quite a smart scarecrow, but fancied something different for the theme,

Great catchup! The one that stands out for me is straight. Great colours and textures in the wood, and great DoF!

Thanks brnd,

Good work, loving that scarecrow. :D

Thanks David.

Hi Michael,

Straight - Hmm, not sure on this one. I get what you're doing, but as the leading line of the wooden (bannister?) is actually leading to a subject, yet the subject in very OOF, it feels a bit odd.

Oval - Nicely done with the reflection sharp (okay I hadn't realised it was a mirror until I read Allan's comment, then it was obvious).

Unattractive - Was there an angle where you could have gotten eye contact? ;)

Hi Tim, re the scarecrow, there would have been but the gardens it was in were actually roped off on this occasion, grounds were to soggy to go down too.

Now for shadow

Going for this one

M34A3596 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Great photo for shadow, well composed and works well in B&W!

Really like the tones and composition in your shadow photo, it makes a strong image.

Straight - very straight but it leads in to a blur I would prefer that the background be in focus too. I do like that the fence is in line with the road in the distance.
Oval - clever idea to use a mirror
Unattractive - he is fun but certainly not attracting any birds good take on the theme.
Shadow - great choice of subject it has an interesting shadow I like the b/w

Nice shot for shadow, I like how it looks

You've posted a few since my last visit Michael, and my favourites are Straight, with that excellent leading line and the textures of the weathered wood, and Shadow, which not only has a well-defined shadow but also a touch of humour from the subject itself. Your viewpoint and the low sun really show off the curls of the spring in the shadow, too (y)

Nice shadow. Like the elogated spring in the shadow.

:agree: Yes I like that too.

haha what a great prop you have their Michael :D

Great photo for shadow, well composed and works well in B&W!

Really like the tones and composition in your shadow photo, it makes a strong image.

Straight - very straight but it leads in to a blur I would prefer that the background be in focus too. I do like that the fence is in line with the road in the distance.
Oval - clever idea to use a mirror
Unattractive - he is fun but certainly not attracting any birds good take on the theme.
Shadow - great choice of subject it has an interesting shadow I like the b/w

Nice shot for shadow, I like how it looks

Shadow

I quite like this. It's a bit more unusual from the norm.

B&W suits it. I like the use of low sun to elongate the shadow, especially the spring.

You've posted a few since my last visit Michael, and my favourites are Straight, with that excellent leading line and the textures of the weathered wood, and Shadow, which not only has a well-defined shadow but also a touch of humour from the subject itself. Your viewpoint and the low sun really show off the curls of the spring in the shadow, too (y)

Big thanks everyone for all the comments, very much appreciated as always. So sorry I have not been able to reciprocate. Was on holiday last week with no internet at all, even though there was meant to be! Im only just going through all of last week images, which is keeping me behind.

And now on to beautiful and low

A visit to the farnes allowed my shot for beautiful, a puffin and with 40 edited pictures just of puffins it was hard to choose, others are of course on flickr for anyone interested in taking a look.

M34A5069 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And Low, I would like to use this one of a lifrboat exercise at seahouses harbour. The lowdown, the low tide, I chose this particular one as I liked the reflections in the wet sand, again a few others are on flickr.

M34A4515 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hi Michael,

Beautiful - Nicely captured., Beautiful Plumage :) A bit of a shame it's not facing in your direction, but nothing you can do about that.
Low - My favourite of the two. It has interest, tells a story and fun reflections.

Fine puffin portrait (y)

Loving the lifeboat crew, no only that great reflection but also they look like figurines lined up like that. (y)

Back