The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

@Riz_Guru - thoughts on the x100v after a few weeks of ownership?
Not used it enough to really get my teeth stuck into it but I am really impressed with the output and handling, I am finding that I can do less post-processing if I really wanted to and still manage to get great results. Everything I have posted before was all done via iPad Pro.
I am still playing around with different options in processing etc.... currently using Darkroom, VSCO and Affinity Photo on iPad Pro etc. I might try Lightroom if I can get a trial-period.
Also going to try x-transformer to convert to DNG and continue using in my old standalone Lightroom 6.14.
Ideally I would like to avoid subscription model applications. :D

Now on to the Fujinon WCL and TCL adaptors, in terms of AF and IQ performance, I am very please with them, I can't really find anything which puts me off using them and the TCL adaptor makes for a decent portrait option if required.

The build quality of the Fujifilm X100V is first glass, can't really pick many faults as its pretty much a perfected design as each generation passes, ergonomically its not like a conventional ILC or DSLR so it's never going to fit in the hand, so you need to adjust to it.

Ultimately after more time with it, I can see myself moving to using OOC JPEG's with Fujifilms built in film simulations, less post-processing time and getting it right in camera is the way forward.

It not a cheap camera but its charm with either lure you in or won't........ :D

When are you getting yours? :p

Gobe Filters - anyone tried them?

Thinking I want to pick up a better quality CPL than I usually use and these seem to have quite a good reputation.
I only use Gobe filters now, I’ve bought maybe 4, I always go for the 3 peak ones. Excellent quality and they come with a great metal storage case. And they plant trees every time you buy one

Last edited:
Not used it enough to really get my teeth stuck into it but I am really impressed with the output and handling, I am finding that I can do less post-processing if I really wanted to and still manage to get great results. Everything I have posted before was all done via iPad Pro.
I am still playing around with different options in processing etc.... currently using Darkroom, VSCO and Affinity Photo on iPad Pro etc. I might try Lightroom if I can get a trial-period.
Also going to try x-transformer to convert to DNG and continue using in my old standalone Lightroom 6.14.

Now on to the Fujinon WCL and TCL adaptors, in terms of AF and IQ performance, I am very please with them, I can't really find anything which puts me off using them and the TCL adaptor makes for a decent portrait option if required.

The build quality of the Fujifilm X100V is first glass, can't really pick many faults as its pretty much a perfected design as each generation passes, ergonomically its not like a conventional ILC or DSLR so it's never going to fit in the hand, so you need to adjust to it.

Ultimately after more time with it, I can see myself moving to using OOC JPEG's with Fujifilms built in film simulations, less post-processing time and getting it right in camera is the way forward.

Capture One express for Fujifilm, free and fantastic

I use that on the iMac, downloaded the wrong version for the Macbook Pro last night, ended up with a 30 day trial of the full version and it has the new Classic Negative sim that works with XT-3 files.

I pretty much dumped all other programs and just use LR and the odd time PS for all my files. I've never had any issues with sharpening or weird artifacts - I have C1 express for Fuji but don't really get along with it, LR's adjustment brush system is just better than anything else within any other software

Capture One express for Fujifilm, free and fantastic

I use that on the iMac, downloaded the wrong version for the Macbook Pro last night, ended up with a 30 day trial of the full version and it has the new Classic Negative sim that works with XT-3 files.
Forgot to mention this, I already have it... not tried it out yet...... do you know if makes use of hardware acceleration via graphics cards / eGPU's?
My Blackmagic eGPU isn't being used when using Lightroom 6.14 :(

For me MF is all I ever use when shooting anything above 1:2 magnification, AF is just not reliable enough beyond that point - certainly not beyond 1:1. I would love that 80mm, but even then I'd use manual focus for close ups. It would be nice to have AF for other types of shooting, but I've only been shooting static or very slow moving subjects so far with the Laowa [I have the 35 1.4 for most all else] and haven't had any trouble, bar the odd OOF shot. Optically the Laowa might even be better than the 80mm, even at 2.8 it's hard to find flaws. Barely any noticeable vignetting, no distortion that I can see and CA is non existent - very impressive in terms of IQ overall. You just need to be prepared for a bit of frustration when shooting at infinity, as the focus throw is minuscule in that region, a bar touch of the focus ring can throw it off - as it is highly optimized for macro - there you have a lot more play

100% agree with MF for macro but 100 (or even 150) is a nice length for a lot of my shooting if I want to go prime and AF is handy for that - saves me faffing with specs every shot! Guessing that the Laowa is an FF lens so there shouldn't be any vigetting on a Fuji but the lack of CA looks good. Plenty of food for thought. Of course, I could just get an adaptor and use my Nikkor 105 (or, indeed, use the Nikons for macro!)

Always felt/feel that JPEGs from my Nikons are a bit better than just good enough but have always been too lazy/impatient to go raw and spend loads of time in PP - I found that a lot of the time, my PP wasn't as good as the Joint Photographic Expert Group's ideas as to the final result!!! Even more so with the Fujis I now use most - I've played with raw but can get nowhere near the SOOC JPEGs and if I feel the need, I can always film simulate bracket. Started many years ago on fully manual film cameras - not even a built in meter so getting it right in the taking stage has always been my goal (not that my aim's always that good but it's generally good enough and the meters are pretty good these days too!)

Forgot to mention this, I already have it... not tried it out yet...... do you know if makes use of hardware acceleration via graphics cards / eGPU's?
My Blackmagic eGPU isn't being used when using Lightroom 6.14 :(
Don't know and don't care, get in the sea :ROFLMAO::whistle:

100% agree with MF for macro but 100 (or even 150) is a nice length for a lot of my shooting if I want to go prime and AF is handy for that - saves me faffing with specs every shot! Guessing that the Laowa is an FF lens so there shouldn't be any vigetting on a Fuji but the lack of CA looks good. Plenty of food for thought. Of course, I could just get an adaptor and use my Nikkor 105 (or, indeed, use the Nikons for macro!)

Yeah the 100mm version is built for FF, but even in reviews for it on FF Vignetting was at a minimum, and completely gone by F4. The APSC specific 65mm version also is shown to have practically zero vignetting wide open

In a bit of a similar situation mate. I have worked for an agency for over a year although in that whole time I've worked for one employer full time Monday-Friday. Now the work is closed and the agency are saying they are not sure whether i qualify for the 80% subsidy so just a waiting game. Only jobs kicking about now are delivery jobs but my wife has a serious heart condition so way too risky for me. Things are going to get tight. On the plus side me, my boy and my wife are having a great time up till now.
I just got a message last night that we're to stay home from work until further notice. It's a tricky one for me as I'm only part time and have to fill in time sheets for my hours each week, where the rest are pretty much on a set wage. The manager is trying to source me some work I can do from home. Otherwise I'm back on the dole for now.

On illness, I think the general public are forgetting that we can get sick from a million other things, cold, flu, other viruses didn't die because corona moved in. So fingers crossed that's all it is for you, my partner for example was in quarantine long before all of this. She suffers with a long term illness, now we have to be extra careful obviously, I also just recovered from a bad cold, I knew that's all it was because no cough or temp, just a mild headache and sneezing attacks [had to explain to anyone around me, from distance, that it was just that]

In a bit of a similar situation mate. I have worked for an agency for over a year although in that whole time I've worked for one employer full time Monday-Friday. Now the work is closed and the agency are saying they are not sure whether i qualify for the 80% subsidy so just a waiting game. Only jobs kicking about now are delivery jobs but my wife has a serious heart condition so way too risky for me. Things are going to get tight. On the plus side me, my boy and my wife are having a great time up till now.

I got the call this morn confirming I am out of work for the coming weeks completely. I have wages incoming tomorrow and in two weeks time [they are paying me full for this past fortnight even though I only worked a couple days] but after that it's back to social welfare. On a general positive for me, the employer has commended me for the work I have done and was very apologetic about the situation, promising that once things return to normal they would be calling me back. So I know I've done a good job the past few months and hopefully it'll devlop into a full time role once the service re-opens. I think it'll be a lot worse for many others who are merely a number to their employer, and will be told via cold text they're no longer needed, without any other relevant info. Hope you get sorted, and you're right, family health is always priority, if we have to we can survive on beans and toast

I'm one of several hundred thousand, one man limited companies, and as an Officer of the Company, I can't furlough myself!!! We are a group that has been completely overlooked by the government and media so far. Fortunately at the moment I still have work I can undertake remotely, though its significantly less than my normal workload. Several client projects have been postponed, but not gone away, so there is hope for some sort of normality on the flipside. I feel for everyone going though an uncertain time financially, but what two divorces have taught me, is that money really doesn't matter, there are always ways of working through things, yes it might be painful, but health and happiness are number one (and money doesn't make you happy!!). So take care of yourselves, your immediate family, your wider family and neighbours, we will get through this.

Last edited:
Might be worth checking...

https://fujifilm-connect.com/en/register_products.php

REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT
The FUJIFILM standard warranty for United Kingdom is valid for 12* months from the date of purchase. Please upload your receipt as proof of purchase when registering a product. We recommend that you also retain your original receipt as you will need to present this in the event of a claim. Read our warranty conditions here

*Purchases made from an approved Fujifilm retailer listed under 'Stores Nearby' have a 24 month warranty.
https://fujifilm-x.com/en-gb/shop/

Wex will do for me, I register all my stuff on Connect too (y)

I only use Gobe filters now, I’ve bought maybe 4, I always go for the 3 peak ones. Excellent quality and they come with a great metal storage case. And they plant trees every time you buy one

Cheers Jim, always good to get a first hand review. Everything I've read about them appears positive.

• Fujifilm X100V
  • ƒ/2.0
  • 33.0 mm
  • 1/125
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
49658395018_9b80a67f28_c.jpg

Lovely portrait style Fujigraph, with a really nice expression.

George.

Had a black one in the basket for a while. Silver still out of stock

Here's one of Roxy, she just loves lying in the sun - she will follow the sun around the house all day, lying in the warm spot ...

X-Pro2; XF18-55 @44mm; f5; 1/3500; ISO 200

I’m seriously conflicted. I recently purchased a dura silver X-pro 3. It’s a lovely piece of engineering and a gorgeous camera, but for some reason I’m not gelling with it. I’ve only had it out on 3 occasions but I’m struggling to love it. Whereas my X-Pro 2 is like an old comfortable pair of shoes. I love shooting with it. It just feels right. Not sure what I’ll do with it. If we ever get back to normality I’ll try some street with it, but I feel I’ll be moving it on.

The only thing I don`t really like is having to flip the screen out, apart from that I really do like it as use to using the them with out the D-Pad.

I feel for everyone going though an uncertain time financially, but what two divorces have taught me, is that money really doesn't matter, there are always ways of working through things, yes it might be painful, but health and happiness are number one (and money doesn't make you happy!!). So take care of yourselves, your immediate family, your wider family and neighbours, we will get through this.

But it does buy horsepower, and horsepower makes me happy... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Taken during my permitted exercise outing today.

X-T3 & 10-24, which is a pretty basic combo now. I have one of the T2 bodies with the 100-400 sitting in the back bedroom for the birds, the other T2 has the 35 f1.4 fitted and is also in the bag with the T3.

The Long Road Home by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

View from the Hill by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Props to Fuji repair department getting my lens back to me...thought they would be closed considering the lockdown. Wouldn't think camera repairs are "key workers".

Probably because Fuji do their repairs in a sealed laboratory? Mmmm Fuji customer service has always been positive from what I have heard etc :)

Kicking off Week#2 of the challenge ... Ramping it up a little, to two a week now (y)
Week #2 Kitchen close-ups/ Music

Post from Saturday 28th (just to keep it weekly) :)

Last edited:
I've not seen this reported here yet.
New Firmware released yesterday for:
https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/download/

X-T3 is 'bug fixes'
X-T30 adds the AF & Gimbal support that was in the X-T3 3.20 release
XF16-80 is 'bug fixes' (I wonder if it's the focus issue youtubers have moaned about and no one else seems to worry about...

It's not going anywhere near my X-T3 until the lockdown is over "just in case".

Last edited:
Ive done all that in the past, 6 TVRs and a Prodrive Impreza, but I’m afraid there is much more to life than fast cars!!! Although I wouldn’t say no to a Muira or a 250SWB!!!!
I beg to differ sir, petrol, pistons and pretending to pop out for some milk and coming back 2 hours later has kept me sane all these years.

Thanks to all that offered advice earlier on, my first Fuji has been ordered :D
Opted for the X-T20 in the end, with the XF 18-55.

It's a slippery slope! The 10-24 and the 100-400 will go nicely with the 18-55, although the 18-135 is pretty damn good and fills that 55-100 gap nicely... :p

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fuji.

Back