The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone used the X-T3 in anger with ES and no EVF blackout, how's the rolling shutter effect? It's one of the things I really like about the A9 but I just don't like using the thing so thinking of finally selling Canon and Sony and just sticking with Fuji...

Anyone used the X-T3 in anger with ES and no EVF blackout, how's the rolling shutter effect? It's one of the things I really like about the A9 but I just don't like using the thing so thinking of finally selling Canon and Sony and just sticking with Fuji...

I tested it out yesterday, you do get rolling shutter but it depends on how fast you need to pan. You really need to test it properly yourself to be sure as moving systems isn’t a decision to make lightly.

There is no blackout at 20fps ES @ 26mp, just like the Sony A9.
All in all it’s a very good effort from Fuji, Face-Detect / Eye-AF isn’t as good as the Sony A9 / 7 III but I’m sure Fuji can improve this via a firmware update.

I’m sticking with full-frame now but the Fuji system is the best system for APS-C hands down. :)

I had a good play with the Fuji XT-3, in isolation and compared to other APS-C systems it’s pretty unbeatable, better than the XT-2, however I’ve been spoilt from the likes of a Sony A9 / A7 III, so the drop in performance was more than I was willing to accept. :)

What testing in store brought you to this conclusion?

What testing in store brought you to this conclusion?

It’s very easy to test rolling shutter, face + eye-AF and high ISO abilities in store, that for me was enough to stick with what I’ve got. However I’m pretty sure Fuji will nail the face + eye-AF via a firmware update.

The 20fps ES @ 26mp black-out free shooting is amazing, just like the Sony A9 but you can get rolling-shutter effect.

For the money, you can’t go wrong with the XT-3, definitely a step up from the XT-2.

It’s very easy to test rolling shutter, face + eye-AF and high ISO abilities in store, that for me was enough to stick with what I’ve got. However I’m pretty sure Fuji will nail the face + eye-AF via a firmware update.

The 20fps ES @ 26mp black-out free shooting is amazing, just like the Sony A9 but you can get rolling-shutter effect.

For the money, you can’t go wrong with the XT-3, definitely a step up from the XT-2.

I did a portrait shoot yesterday. System is an absolute joy to use. Face and eye detect was bang on throughtout.

You are trying to test high iso, af, face and eye af and the effects of electronic shutter and 20fps. What exactly are you planning to shoot?

Having moved over from Sony a few weeks ago and knowing both systems very well it was great to do a proper shoot again and feel confident that what I was using is more than good enough for my needs. While updates and upgrades are always welcomed, there wasn’t a moment yesterday that I thought I needed anything more.

Having said that, I havent reviewed the images or processed them yet. If I were you I’d stop judging a camera by handling it in store. That’s no way to test the iso. Unless you popped your own card in the camera and checked the images later (I did that with the canon 5dsr). I wonder if the camera even had the firmware updated. Highly unlikely.

Rent one or buy one and use it. Don’t write something off by button sniffing.

Everyone’s needs differ, but black out free doesn’t appeal to me. I rarely shoot fast action sports or wildlife so for me it’s just spec sheet talk.

You are trying to test high iso, af, face and eye af and the effects of electronic shutter and 20fps. What exactly are you planning to shoot?
I rarely shoot fast action sports or wildlife so for me it’s just spec sheet talk

Everyone's needs are different, and it's good to hear some hands on.
What @Riz_Guru has had a go at, in the shop, is actually ideal info for me as a lot of my photos are people shots at conventions (low light and needing to nail the face / eye focus wide open), plus motorsport, so having an idea about the rolling shutter on ES is also very handy.
Don't write off other people's views because it doesn't suit your needs, it's handy to take a wide range of views / thoughts and then make your own mind up :)

I will be waiting on the post Christmas sales to pick up my X-T3, as I don't plan on trading in my X-T2, or Canons for it. And hopefully, the early adopters will identify any bugs that Fuji need to address in the end of year firmware update.

I did a portrait shoot yesterday. System is an absolute joy to use. Face and eye detect was bang on throughtout.

Having moved over from Sony a few weeks ago and knowing both systems very well it was great to do a proper shoot again and feel confident that what I was using is more than good enough for my needs. While updates and upgrades are always welcomed, there wasn’t a moment yesterday that I thought I needed anything more.

Having said that, I havent reviewed the images or processed them yet. If I were you I’d stop judging a camera by handling it in store. That’s no way to test the iso. Unless you popped your own card in the camera and checked the images later (I did that with the canon 5dsr). I wonder if the camera even had the firmware updated. Highly unlikely.

Rent one or buy one and use it. Don’t write something off by button sniffing.

Everyone’s needs differ, but black out free doesn’t appeal to me. I rarely shoot fast action sports or wildlife so for me it’s just spec sheet talk.

I agree with you but I’m a bit of a tech head so like having high specifications + full-frame + IBIS abilities and knowing it is all there when required etc..... I’m not writing Fuji off at all, it’s a great system and like before, it would save me a few ££££ by changing to Fuji etc :)

:)

Everyone's needs are different, and it's good to hear some hands on.
What @Riz_Guru has had a go at, in the shop, is actually ideal info for me as a lot of my photos are people shots at conventions (low light and needing to nail the face / eye focus wide open), plus motorsport, so having an idea about the rolling shutter on ES is also very handy.
Don't write off other people's views because it doesn't suit your needs, it's handy to take a wide range of views / thoughts and then make your own mind up :)

I will be waiting on the post Christmas sales to pick up my X-T3, as I don't plan on trading in my X-T2, or Canons for it. And hopefully, the early adopters will identify any bugs that Fuji need to address in the end of year firmware update.

The Fuji XT-3 is a great offering and definitely worth some hands on time with.... I can’t say the same about the Nikon Z or Canon EOS R.

Just goes to show how highly I think of the Fuji system :) it’s great.

I’ve 100% written Fuji off, just sticking to full-frame for now which has its advantages & disadvantages etc

I agree with you but I’m a bit of a tech head so like having high specifications + full-frame + IBIS abilities and knowing it is all there when required etc..... I’m not writing Fuji off at all, it’s a great system and like before, it would save me a few ££££ by changing to Fuji etc :)

:)

But if half or most of those specs won’t be used by you, what’s the point?

A9 are less than £2,500 used so you’ll have your pants pulled down on that one if you switch.

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well framed, lovely light, and the cat really makes the shot for me.(y)

George.
Cheers George, very kind! I spotted the light and was waiting for a person to come through (and got one or two) but in the end the cat was the winner for me!

I'm definitely considering an X-T3 purchase and moving my X-T20 over to my second body. I don't NEED the extra features, but with doing more and more paid shoots, ideally I want something with a second card slot, and the improved AF will be nice for when I'm shooting my two year old, who does like to move around a lot! I'll more than likely wait until after Christmas to see if there are any slight price drops (not that it's not a brilliant deal at the price it currently sits at IMO).

More and more glad I decided to stay with the X-T2, thanks to some wise comments on here. Since putting it firmly in the back of my mind that I would be missing out by not buying the X-T3, I have really been enjoying this fantastic camera. So much so that when it is eventually time to trade up, I will actually find it quite painful! To be honest I think I’ll always keep it now because we are making some happy memories together! Haha

Funny how you can become attached to something material in a very emotional way!

Tried that out this very morning. With panning. It works!

Flying Scotsman
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Been out for proper first play with X-T3 this morning. It's very nice. I loved the X-T2 and had a little bit of buyers regret after chopping it in for the 3. I needn't have worried. The 3 is an improvement IMO. It defo feels slightly different in the hand, just a little more substantial and well engineered somehow.

I've seen a lot of articles saying the IQ won't be much better as it's only a slight increase in MP count. Gotta say I disagree with that. I think the rendering and IQ are both a noticeable improvement, particularly on things like bird feathers. The shot below is SOOC jpeg at 1000 ISO on a teeny 'ickle birdy and whereas my previous fujis would seem to struggle on feather detail at a distance once you up the ISO, not this one. Plus I'm looking through some shots right now and while they're still defo fuji in look, there is a slight difference in rendering and clarity. I believe there has been a change in sensor supplier(?) and it's working well I feel. The bizarre thing is that not only does the camera feel a bit more Leicalike in the hand, I think the images are a bit more like shooting with one of theirs too. I'm so far impressed and have no regrets about the change.

DSCF0771
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Last edited:
But if half or most of those specs won’t be used by you, what’s the point?

A9 are less than £2,500 used so you’ll have your pants pulled down on that one if you switch.

Legally we are only allowed to drive up to 70mph, however it doesn’t stop people buying sports cars that can do 150mph+.
It’s better to have more of something that you require rather than just enough.

I get what your saying but the Sony A9 is leagues ahead on every front apart from perhaps a few where the XT-3 is better... body sealing / design cost being some of the XT-3’s advantages.

To be fair you can’t compare the Sony A9 to a Fuji XT-3 as they aren’t even the same format (ff vs aps-c).

Fuji is the best APS-C system, period. :)

Camera’s are never investments so it doesn’t surprise me Sony A9’s can be had for £2500, Sony priced the A7 III aggressively and that’s had a knock on effect.

I may still switch to Fuji in the future but at present not in a rush to release some £££ from selling the Sony gear. ;)

I tested it out yesterday, you do get rolling shutter but it depends on how fast you need to pan. You really need to test it properly yourself to be sure as moving systems isn’t a decision to make lightly.

There is no blackout at 20fps ES @ 26mp, just like the Sony A9.
All in all it’s a very good effort from Fuji, Face-Detect / Eye-AF isn’t as good as the Sony A9 / 7 III but I’m sure Fuji can improve this via a firmware update.

I’m sticking with full-frame now but the Fuji system is the best system for APS-C hands down. :)

I'm not moving systems, I've already got a full Fuji kit with X-T2, and Canon... I struggle to sell stuff :D I really like the A9 performance but don't enjoy the handling. I've added a grip extension which helps but it still feels uncomfortably cramped when using fast FF glass. The kicker though is that I still pick up Fuji first (over both Sony and Canon). I do prefer FF over ASP-C when comparing directly, but I'm happy with APS-C in isolation. So I might just try selling everything else, probably won't though!

I knew the rumour of the X-T3 having a stacked sensor was way too good to be true! :D The A9 I use all day in AF-C with no worries, it works wonderfully. The X-T2 is sluggish in comparison (with the older 23mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4). Keeping an eye on the EOS R as well, I don't think it's the camera for me but maybe a higher spec mirrorless may be on the cards at some point from Canon.

I'm not moving systems, I've already got a full Fuji kit with X-T2, and Canon... I struggle to sell stuff [emoji1] I really like the A9 performance but don't enjoy the handling. I've added a grip extension which helps but it still feels uncomfortably cramped when using fast FF glass. The kicker though is that I still pick up Fuji first (over both Sony and Canon). I do prefer FF over ASP-C when comparing directly, but I'm happy with APS-C in isolation. So I might just try selling everything else, probably won't though!

I knew the rumour of the X-T3 having a stacked sensor was way too good to be true! [emoji1] The A9 I use all day in AF-C with no worries, it works wonderfully. The X-T2 is sluggish in comparison (with the older 23mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4). Keeping an eye on the EOS R as well, I don't think it's the camera for me but maybe a higher spec mirrorless may be on the cards at some point from Canon.

It’s not a easy choice at all, FF has its merits but is it worth the additional cost, I’m not so sure.... I have switched to Fuji once before and ended up with a heap of cash left over from the move. [emoji4]
Regarding the Sony A9, I too stick it on AF-C and it takes care of the rest, no sweat.

Back