The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Blimey, it must be bad.... The one thing I find that lets the 90 down is the close focus distance, I usually end up putting both tubes on to get close with the 90mm.......

Well prime lenses in that region rarely have very good close focusing capabilities in general - no matter the system. 60cm is actually very good for the 90mm and 0.2x is also not bad magnification - the Viltrox is 80cm and 0.12x - not near as good but very much in line with 85mm lenses from other manufacturers. One good thing about the 90 also is that you can snap a Raynox 250 on front and get 1:1 macro, the filter thread is too large on the 85 Viltrox for this.

Look at the Sony 85mm 1.8, that only gets to 80cm with 0.13x mag, so the Fuji 90mm is better than average - it's not meant to be anything close to a macro but I would call that decent close focusing for the FL

If you want more extreme close focusing the 16mm is your only man, can focus down to 15cm [some have suggested it's even close when manual focusing] with 0.21x mag. Very impressive for a WA lens, of course it gives a quirkier angle of view than longer lenses but it's very fun to use

Last edited:
It was a bit of a flippant comment Keith, I just noticed that the CF distance was too far away to be really useful when shooting bugs & stuff. Stick some tubes on and it's great!! ;)

It was a bit of a flippant comment Keith, I just noticed that the CF distance was too far away to be really useful when shooting bugs & stuff. Stick some tubes on and it's great!! ;)

Still, like I say it's better than most in it's range - get a Raynox ;) longer lenses work best with macro attachments rather than tubes

Nice still life style Fujigraph, PP wise I think it works well on this type of shot.

George.
Thank you, George :)

Maybe we should set up an "out of your comfort zone" challenge ?

I'm crap at "stuff", can't be arsed with all the lighting but really ought to try harder

Haha the "Fuji Comfort Zone Challenge" could be pretty cool. But everyone has to be honest ;) I know I`m crap at landscape, wildlife and people :banghead:

I'm happy with my tubes...

snail by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Nice, but if you suddenly spot something interesting in the distance - with a Raynox on you can just snap it off and shoot as normal, not so much with tubes. I've used all sorts, tubes, macro add-ons, reversed lens rings etc - whatever works best for you. I do like that with the Raynox you can just clip it on and off though, providing the lens has an accommodating filter thread [between 52 and 67mm]

Last edited:
Nice, but if you suddenly spot something interesting in the distance - with a Raynox on you can just snap it off and shoot as normal, not so much with tubes. I've used all sorts, tubes, macro add-ons, reversed lens rings etc - whatever works best for you. I do like that with the Raynox you can just clip it on and off though, providing the lens has an accommodating filter thread [between 52 and 67mm]

But there's no glass in a tube... Less to get dirty, less to spoil that wonderful 90mm goodness ;)

So after posting a portait a while back and receiving some positive advice from @Terrywoodenpic I decided to take on board his suggestion.
The pose and clothing is different and the hair tweaked but importantly I moved the light source form the left to the right.

Feathering the light and trying to get some light wrap on the shadow side until I get a reflector to soften the shadows

I think its an improvement but probably still room for tweaking.

Loving the XT-2 and Godox V860 setup though. So so resilient at anything you throw at it.

DSCF0777(1) by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Any left eye shooters using the X-T2 please? Do you find it OK?

Thanks,AL
I’m a left eye shooter and have been using my Fuji XT2 with no problems. The eye cup is quite generous. I’ve just bought the large cup although it wasn’t really needed, and it’s even better now.

Much more shape to the face.. very much on your way.. also nice pose and expression

I’m a left eye shooter and have been using my Fuji XT2 with no problems. The eye cup is quite generous. I’ve just bought the large cup although it wasn’t really needed, and it’s even better now.

Does your nose press against the screen or more to the right, over the control area?

Thanks,
AL

Does your nose press against the screen or more to the right, over the control area?

Thanks,
AL
I just did a test and as I wear glasses my nose doesn't touch either. Took of my glasses and my nose just touch’s Just above the control area menu button. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much Leroy - that helps my decision a lot and it looks like I might give it a miss. Saved myself some money and grief ;)

AL

So after posting a portait a while back and receiving some positive advice from @Terrywoodenpic I decided to take on board his suggestion.
The pose and clothing is different and the hair tweaked but importantly I moved the light source form the left to the right.

Feathering the light and trying to get some light wrap on the shadow side until I get a reflector to soften the shadows

Loving the XT-2 and Godox V860 setup though. So so resilient at anything you throw at it.

Really like this, its got everything going for it, beautiful model, gorgeous light and fantastic colour.....whats not to love

X-H1 & grip ( with two batteries ) £999 at WEX.

No point trying to sell a used one now then :/

Thanks for the alert. Arrived today. Bought it because I still have a 16mm f1.4 that nobody fancied.
Had one before. Sold it at the beginning of the year when I bought my Z6 (which I’m keeping)

Thats lovely

Very nice portrait Fujigraph, with a lovely pose & expression.

George.

Anyone using or used both the 35F2 and 50F2? which do you prefer and why? I had the 35 for a bit but sold it on when I got the 16-55, now that's gone and I want something to pair up with the 16 1.4. Thinking on either of these - I liked the 35 but not so much how it focuses. There a bit of wobble to and fro before it locks on each time, I think this tricks us into thinking it focuses faster than it actually does because there's a split second there where it's basically hunting - does the 50mm do this too?

Last edited:
Anyone using or used both the 35F2 and 50F2? which do you prefer and why? I had the 35 for a bit but sold it on when I got the 16-55, now that's gone and I want something to pair up with the 16 1.4. Thinking on either of these - I liked the 35 but not so much how it focuses. There a bit of wobble to and fro before it locks on each time, I think this tricks us into thinking it focuses faster than it actually does because there's a split second there where it's basically hunting - does the 50mm do this too?

I still have the 35mm f2 and use to have the 50mm f2, both imo are fantastic little lenses. I did some indoor gig shots using both and was very happy with the images, so it`s hard to say what one to get.

I’ve now got the 90 f2 at home, I’ll be grabbing some shots of Natiya tomorrow all being well. First impressions are that this is much better than the 56 1.2.

I still have the 35mm f2 and use to have the 50mm f2, both imo are fantastic little lenses. I did some indoor gig shots using both and was very happy with the images, so it`s hard to say what one to get.

No doubt the 35 is tack sharp and I love the design, so neat and discreet for when you don't want to draw attention. I'm veering toward the 50mm as I've not used it and would like to give it a go, but apart from that minor AF irritation on the 35F2 for me, I did enjoy it. I was sorry I sold it after. I was adapting a Canon 50mm 1.8 before I got it, and I thought the Canon was very good until I pitted it against the Fuji - the 35mm blew the socks off the Canon in terms of sharpness, contrast, clarity, it made the 50mm STM look a bit crap tbh :D and using them both at the time there was little in the difference in terms of FL but it was easier to get better bokeh from the 50mm. That's where I'm at thinking on the 50F2

Last edited:
No doubt the 35 is tack sharp and I love the design, so neat and discreet for when you don't want to draw attention. I'm veering toward the 50mm as I've not used it and would like to give it a go, but apart from that minor AF irritation on the 35F2 for me, I did enjoy it. I was sorry I sold it after

I was just going through my Paris House jazz shots, and most were taken with the 50mm f2 so I`d say get that and you will love it.

Last edited:
X-T3 + XF50mm f2 for @Cagey75 it was pretty damn dark when I took this of Abi.

Abi by Dave, on Flickr

Cracking shot Dave, and that's another thing I heard about this lens, it is exquisite for B&W

In the lenstip tests it scored higher than the 90mm fr centre sharpness

"One glance at the picture above and you know we are dealing with a new record-breaker. By f/2.8 and f/4.0 the lens reaches a brilliant level of 81 lpmm. What’s more, the result at the maximum relative aperture is very good too! A round of applause! "

The 90mm was the previous highest they tested and that hit 78 lpmm, very impressive that the 50mm topped this

Cracking shot Dave, and that's another thing I heard about this lens, it is exquisite for B&W

In the lenstip tests it scored higher than the 90mm fr centre sharpness

"One glance at the picture above and you know we are dealing with a new record-breaker. By f/2.8 and f/4.0 the lens reaches a brilliant level of 81 lpmm. What’s more, the result at the maximum relative aperture is very good too! A round of applause! "

The 90mm was the previous highest they tested and that hit 78 lpmm, very impressive that the 50mm topped this

For me I would say if you had one lens for jazz B&W then it would have to be the 50mm f2, I do actually miss mine and might well get one again.

Heh, worth a shot ;)

Camera Jungle have 20% off everything right now for anyone pondering a new camera or lens - there's not much of a great selection atm but, 20% is decent - use code AUG20 at checkout. I would have got the 50F2 there but the one they have has no hood :/

An example of what can be had though, X-T2 boxed in excellent condition for just £509! Going on my experience buying from there, when they say excellent it really is. I bought my X-H1 from there, also more recently my 16mm 1.4 and honestly both looked like new when I received them

Last edited:
Just finished editing a few images from today, again with the X-H1 and 16mm, have to say it's about the most fun lens I've had in a long while. Every time I pick the camera up with this lens attached I feel the need to go shoot something, anything! Obviously not BIF or serious portraiture, but it can do a bit of everything and anything else.

The cat had brought me some feathers as a gift, hmmm - no idea what went down but there was this one I was being offered plus a couple tufts of random feathers scattered around the garden ...

A Gift by K G, on Flickr

When questioned she acted like she knew nothing about such an incident

Ca't splain it by K G, on Flickr

:ROFLMAO:

Just finished editing a few images from today, again with the X-H1 and 16mm, have to say it's about the most fun lens I've had in a long while. Every time I pick the camera up with this lens attached I feel the need to go shoot something, anything! Obviously not BIF or serious portraiture, but it can do a bit of everything and anything else.

The cat had brought me some feathers as a gift, hmmm - no idea what went down but there was this one I was being offered plus a couple tufts of random feathers scattered around the garden ...

A Gift by K G, on Flickr

And a couple other randoms

Old paintbrush unearthed at the end of the garden after I moved a skip bag ... no idea if it was one of ours [my daughter does like to paint a bit] or if it was there since before we moved in [4yrs ago] but felt like there was some poignancy to it

Lost Art by K G, on Flickr

Honeysuckle by K G, on Flickr

Lovely stuff Keith, especially the cat ones.

A Gift by K G, on Flickr

Couple of very nice Fujigraphs, liking the mono presentation of these.

George.

I struggle with the Raynox 250, depth of field seems to be extremely shallow -like sheet of paper shallow.
Do they work best on primes rather than zooms?
Depth of field falls fast when the focus distance falls. It's no different with a dedicated macro lens or using extension tubes. You either have to stop down quite significantly or focus stack where possible.

Back