The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Ok this morning I started to setup the cameras.

C-AF, Tracking

A couple of issues so far..

Can't move 'format' into the the MY Menu
Metering does not seem to be dynamic whilst tracking, I do have face/eye detection enabled and auto-ISO on - a quick Google leads me to believe these might be an stopping it from working

Got a few shots off before Yuffie got a bit rough with Newt

Newt - Fuji Test by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Interesting development on the third party lens front. Viltrox - who just recently released an AF 85mm 1.8 for the Fuji system, have 3 more offerings on the way. The purists will say 'why buy these when Fuji have similar or better' - but the budget minded, like me, love to see some competition. The 56 1.4 for example, at the right price might tempt me because the Fuji 56mm is that bit out of reach right now. It would have to be priced in or around the same as the Fuji 50mm F2 and be as quick and sharp. Also this 33mm 1.4, if it has fast and silent focusing could serve a KO to the 35 1.4 Fuji. If we are to go by the 85mm 1.8, reviews on that one have been mostly positive and it has been suggested by some as a good alternative to the 90mm, for less than half the price new.

https://www.fujirumors.com/new-imag...d-56mm-f-1-4-autofocus-lenses-for-fujifilm-x/

11-1.jpg

Odd that they all look much the same, but what we also learned from the 85mm is their lenses are built like tanks, all metal, very sturdy and don't feel in any way cheap or tacky. Note the 'E' on two of them, this is for Sony APSC - these are specifically made for APSC unlike the 85 which was a full frame lens. This should make them lighter and smaller.

But if the 56 is the same price as a Fuji 50, is the extra stop really worth the drop (I assume) in IQ?

One from earlier today - The 16mm should never be accused of being near macro or anything of the sort, BUT, you certainly can get close - this hoverfly was very accommodating, actually bumped the hood off the flower he was on more than once as I kept edging closer. What the lens does do fantastically well is what I would deem to be 'environmental macro' - where you are including much more of your subject's surroundings, and I really like this type of image. More so than intense close ups of a bug's eyes only in fact.

f/8, ISO 800, H-1 + 16 1.4
Calm hover by K G, on Flickr

Very nice close up Fujigraph, well composed with good colour.

George.

You can't go wrong with any of the Fuji primes really, the 35F2 or 50F2 would compliment your WA zoom nicely. I might go for the 50F2 myself, looks a cracker. If you preferred the 50mm look on your FF camera then the 35mm might be better for you. There is a 1.4 35mm also but it is slower to focus, noisier and lacks weather sealing.

Thanks for the recommendations, both look pretty good!

The 35mmf2 would probably be a good bet.

Could be a good shout, the 56 1.2 looks pretty awesome too.

But if the 56 is the same price as a Fuji 50, is the extra stop really worth the drop (I assume) in IQ?

It'll have to be cheaper new, or prove to be excellent wide open, then it'll matter. Also closer focusing would be a benefit to it, something they failed with on their 85, the Fuji 90 is much better in that respect

Last edited:
Hold down trash can for 3 seconds and press rear command dial and it instantly takes you to SD card format.

Just tried this on my X-T3 and nothing happened, but if I press the trash can button on its own, I get 3 options 1 Delete file 2 Select image 3 All images, which is a format.

Fujigraphs.. hah :D

Just one thing, and it's certainly not a nit-pick, more a Fuji thing - but if you are using LR to process? then I would set the default sharpening down to about 20, by default for some unknown reason Adobe have it set to 40 for Fuji sensors and this causes some unwanted artifacts at times in backgrounds. To counter this further I mask sharpen or use the selection brush for specific areas [like say the dog's faces] so's not to affect the oof areas

Last edited:
Just one thing, and it's certainly not a nit-pick, more a Fuji thing - but if you are using LR to process? then I would set the default sharpening down to about 20, by default for some unknown reason Adobe have it set to 40 for Fuji sensors and this causes some unwanted artifacts at times in backgrounds. To counter this further I mask sharpen or use the selection brush for specific areas [like say the dog's faces] so's not to affect the oof areas

Sure thing, thanks, though I'll probably use the Fuji for only a little while longer before going back to my own cameras.

Probably the cutest dog on the planet :)

And on their way to being most photographed :)
https://www.instagram.com/yuffnewt2cute/

Sure thing, thanks, though I'll probably use the Fuji for only a little while longer before going back to my own cameras.

And on their way to being most photographed :)
https://www.instagram.com/yuffnewt2cute/

It's just something to note even when testing as some find the images over sharpened and artifacts in what should be smooth areas. I wish Adobe wouldn't force that over sharpening, it's had newer Fuji owners rethink the system.

A quick heads up, I have 2 x mint lenses in the classifieds 16-55 & 100-400

Processing is spot on in my opinion, suits the object perfectly

Thanks, Pete (y) I appreciate the feedback :)

Out of curiosity , how come you`re shifting those two. Are you leaving us?

Thanks, Pete (y) I appreciate the feedback :)

Out of curiosity , how come you`re shifting those two. Are you leaving us?
No mate I hardly use the 16-55 as most of my work is corporate events indoors so I use the primes for low light stuff.

As for the 100-400 I intended to get a lot more into motorsport but i'm struggling to find the time so it's sitting there in the box winding me up lol

No mate I hardly use the 16-55 as most of my work is corporate events indoors so I use the primes for low light stuff.

As for the 100-400 I intended to get a lot more into motorsport but i'm struggling to find the time so it's sitting there in the box winding me up lol

I thought we`d lost you for a moment there, mate ;)
Fair enough though. I was the same in my Nikon days. Got all excited about a 150-600, for motor sports and wildlife, but it never worked out. I think I`m better at "stuff" than anything else (unfortunately).

My daughter found this old typewriter in a charity shop today (I had the camera), so figured it deserved a pic. Marmite processing, but hey ho ;)

T2 with 23 1.4 @ f2
Old School Work Station by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Nice still life style Fujigraph, PP wise I think it works well on this type of shot.

George.

I thought we`d lost you for a moment there, mate ;)
Fair enough though. I was the same in my Nikon days. Got all excited about a 150-600, for motor sports and wildlife, but it never worked out. I think I`m better at "stuff" than anything else (unfortunately).
Maybe we should set up an "out of your comfort zone" challenge ?

I'm crap at "stuff", can't be arsed with all the lighting but really ought to try harder

<snip> Also closer focusing would be a benefit to it, something they failed with on their 85, the Fuji 90 is much better in that respect

Blimey, it must be bad.... The one thing I find that lets the 90 down is the close focus distance, I usually end up putting both tubes on to get close with the 90mm.......

Last edited:
Back