The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So would it be appropriate to say hello here and declare myself the owner of an X-T3 + 10-24 as of today?
I searched the owners threads and linky to X-T1/2/3/10 thread seems damaged...

Yup, the thread was re-named after some gentle persuasion ... i.e, we muscled Cobra into changing it collectively :D

Welcome to the Fantastic and fabulous Fuji fold.

So would it be appropriate to say hello here and declare myself the owner of an X-T3 + 10-24 as of today?

Welcome to the Fuji family Anton, you have a great bit of kit there so I look forward to seeing your images.

Nice frosty morning at Newtown Isle of Wight Yesterday. Love this weather!
X-T3 23 1.4

Chilly Clouds by Nick Lowe, on Flickr

Frosty Morning by Nick Lowe, on Flickr
Hello there!
So I would love to hear your opinion on the need for this prime since I have the 10-24.

I love primes and yes, it is 3 stops faster but other than that...do I really need the 23/1.4?

I mean I WANT to need it...

Welcome to the Fuji family Anton, you have a great bit of kit there so I look forward to seeing your images.

Thank you so much for the welcome!

Many new lenses to buy but what fun and it is such an amazing camera...still a bit intimidated by it

Yup, the thread was re-named after some gentle persuasion ... i.e, we muscled Cobra into changing it collectively :D

Welcome to the Fantastic and fabulous Fuji fold.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

Hello there!
So I would love to hear your opinion on the need for this prime since I have the 10-24.

I love primes and yes, it is 3 stops faster but other than that...do I really need the 23/1.4?

Personally if I was allowed only one lens it would be the 23 1.4. Such an amazing lens which spends most of it's time on my camera. Fast but not as fast as the f2, but so sharp at all stops and of course it is f1.4 giving wonderful isolation of subjects. If 35mm on full frame is your thing then this lens is a no brainer.

Personally if I was allowed only one lens it would be the 23 1.4. Such an amazing lens which spends most of it's time on my camera. Fast but not as fast as the f2, but so sharp at all stops and of course it is f1.4 giving wonderful isolation of subjects. If 35mm on full frame is your thing then this lens is a no brainer.

Thanks for that!
I suppose if Henri Cartier-Bresson could make a living off a 35mm lens that settles that.

I've never used the 23 14, but I'd choose it over the 10-24 any day personally. But I never really shot wide, since I got the 16 1.4 [bestest Fuji lens evah!] I've been seeing things from a whole new perspective, but 10mm really is no use for me.

I've never used the 23 14, but I'd choose it over the 10-24 any day personally. But I never really shot wide, since I got the 16 1.4 [bestest Fuji lens evah!] I've been seeing things from a whole new perspective, but 10mm really is no use for me.
10 (15/16) is quite silly wide and rarely usable to me too... 23(35) on the other hand is a focal length I have always hated with a passion but it recently started growing on me.
I am hesitant, however, to buy a prime inside the range of a zoom I already own...

10 (15/16) is quite silly wide and rarely usable to me too... 23(35) on the other hand is a focal length I have always hated with a passion but it recently started growing on me.
I am hesitant, however, to buy a prime inside the range of a zoom I already own...

How about the 23 F2? save some money put it towards another prime. If you find you do use it a lot more than you think you won't lose much selling it on, if anything [buy used to begin with] and get the 1.4. I never thought I'd get on so well with the 16mm, on a zoom it was mosty the longer end I was comfortable with. But with a prime you break the habit, you learn to get along with the given FL and it's been surprising for me. Love that lens, never thought I needed it but now I'd miss not having it - it could be the same with the likes of the 10-24, though I kinda know in my head with the option there, I'd mostly use it at 24mm.

Welcome aboard Anton, look forward to hearing from you.

George.

How about the 23 F2? save some money put it towards another prime. If you find you do use it a lot more than you think you won't lose much selling it on, if anything [buy used to begin with] and get the 1.4. I never thought I'd get on so well with the 16mm, on a zoom it was mosty the longer end I was comfortable with. But with a prime you break the habit, you learn to get along with the given FL and it's been surprising for me. Love that lens, never thought I needed it but now I'd miss not having it - it could be the same with the likes of the 10-24, though I kinda know in my head with the option there, I'd mostly use it at 24mm.
That is exactly it!

I rely heavily on the reviews at Photozone.com, now known as opticallimits.com...they give the 1,4 a much better review than the 2...

Oh well, I still maintain that any 23 prime - and I REALLY like the look of the 1,4 over the f/2 - will have to be quite amazing and essential fir me to buy it alongside my 10-24...

That is exactly it!

I rely heavily on the reviews at Photozone.com, now known as opticallimits.com...they give the 1,4 a much better review than the 2...

Oh well, I still maintain that any 23 prime - and I REALLY like the look of the 1,4 over the f/2 - will have to be quite amazing and essential fir me to buy it alongside my 10-24...

For reviews for me on any Fuji I use Ken Rockwell who most hate, then Flickr and Jonasrask and Kevin Mullins.

Last edited:
That is exactly it!

I have the 23mm F1.4, 23mm F2 (on my wife's X-T20) and X100F (with fixed 23mm). If Image Quality is what you are after then the more you pay the better it gets, my 23mm F1.4 is sharp, and at F2 it's sharper than the X100F lens at any aperture!! The F2 is good for focus speed and WR, but I'd take thye F1.4 anytime for the best image.

The 10-24 is also a very good lens, but it does have its limitation, personally I can't be doing with really wide angle lenses, the resultant images just don't look right.

On the whole the primes do offer better image quality than the zooms but at the expense of flexibility. The primes also offer wider apertures.

Last edited:
Recently got an X-T2 from the Fuji refurb store and noticed that the exp comp dial is lose and has a small amount of play back and forth. I googled to see if this is normal and only found one example of this. The person experiencing the problem was apparently told by fuji tech that it's normal but I'm dubious.

Here's a video that I found that shows the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem or should I get in tough with fuji to look at a repair/replacement?

What turns me off of the 23F2 is the softness wide open at it's closest focusing. That's a no-no for me, I like me some close up photography. I've had the 35F2 and currently own the 50F2 and both are very good, even wide open at their closest focus. I'd say the 50 has the edge in terms of sharpness and you'd have to try really hard to get a hint of CA wide open in the harshest of light. It is very good indeed, just not sure the FL is ideal to me [rather something wider or longer] I wish the 23F2 was better in that regard, but many who own it and don't really care so much about closer focusing, love it. It'll have the usual advantages over it's older sibling, it's weather resistant, it'll be quieter, faster AF and it's smaller and lighter [never matters to me so much, but does to some] But I would prefer the 1.4, even if it's a bit slower, noisier and not WR - if it's sharp wide open that's enough of a bonus.

Last edited:
Recently got an X-T2 from the Fuji refurb store and noticed that the exp comp dial is lose and has a small amount of play back and forth. I googled to see if this is normal and only found one example of this. The person experiencing the problem was apparently told by fuji tech that it's normal but I'm dubious.

Does anyone else have this problem or should I get in tough with fuji to look at a repair/replacement?

If you are not happy, then get it sent back, Fuji Support are very good at resolving issues.

Hello there!

Having tried most of the Fuji lenses (except the really, really expensive 200mm and a couple of the new ones) there are a few that would make my "never get rid of" list.

16mm f1.4 - I know, I did let this go, but wish I hadn't. Such a versatile lens and so sharp.
100-400 - I shoot a lot of wildlife (or at least try to) and this is a cracking piece of kit. Also does the job for motorsport too.
10-24 f4 - Since letting the 16mm go, almost all of my landscape stuff is done on this, and I love it.
35mm f1.4 - Probably the lens I enjoy using most, it's sharpness is unbelievable at times and the way it renders wide open is just joyful.

There's a couple that I don't have, (such as the 16 f1.4) but if there was one more I could add it would be the 23 f1.4. I often use the 10-24 as a walkabout lens, but tend to find myself shooting at the long end most of the time when used like this, so the 23 would be almost glued to at least one body.

Having tried most of the Fuji lenses (except the really, really expensive 200mm and a couple of the new ones) there are a few that would make my "never get rid of" list.

16mm f1.4 - I know, I did let this go, but wish I hadn't. Such a versatile lens and so sharp.
100-400 - I shoot a lot of wildlife (or at least try to) and this is a cracking piece of kit. Also does the job for motorsport too.
10-24 f4 - Since letting the 16mm go, almost all of my landscape stuff is done on this, and I love it.
35mm f1.4 - Probably the lens I enjoy using most, it's sharpness is unbelievable at times and the way it renders wide open is just joyful.

There's a couple that I don't have, (such as the 16 f1.4) but if there was one more I could add it would be the 23 f1.4. I often use the 10-24 as a walkabout lens, but tend to find myself shooting at the long end most of the time when used like this, so the 23 would be almost glued to at least one body.

Phew! I'm glad you said that as I've just ordered one and was starting to worry a bit, given the other comments. Granted i'm mainly a landscape photographer so I do think i'll get a lot of use from the extra mm (or, fewer as the case may be). i must say that all of the sample images I've seen from this lens are pin sharp and really well defined.

Phew! I'm glad you said that as I've just ordered one and was starting to worry a bit, given the other comments. Granted i'm mainly a landscape photographer so I do think i'll get a lot of use from the extra mm (or, fewer as the case may be). i must say that all of the sample images I've seen from this lens are pin sharp and really well defined.

Click on my Flickr link and have a look around, most of the recent landscape stuff has been on the 10-24, with either an X-T3 or X-T2 as the body.

Click on my Flickr link and have a look around, most of the recent landscape stuff has been on the 10-24, with either an X-T3 or X-T2 as the body.

will do, cheers

I've also just bought an old Vivitar 70-210 M42 mount manual lens, and a converter, so hopefully that will be nice and small and will give me some good images out to its full zoom when i need them.

Last edited:

I also purchased a X-T2 from Fuji refurb store last month and it's in mint condition and the exp comp dial does not move at all and pretty solid too. AS Mr Perceptive said, if not happy with it contact Fuji and see what they say.

So, all you wonder folks...

Your thoughts on the 23/2 vs 23/1,4 please?

The 1,4 just looks right, gets a better review on Photozone / Opticallimits but a local X-photographer mate of mine says to go for the f/2... that said, he doesn’t own either and mostly shoots with longer lenses.

The 1,4 just looks right, gets a better review on Photozone / Opticallimits but a local X-photographer mate of mine says to go for the f/2... that said, he doesn’t own either and mostly shoots with longer lenses.

I got rid of my last XF23mm f2 and wanted it again, I`m off out now to shoot some jazz with it and will post later.

When I shot Fuji I chose the f1.4. Super happy with it. Shot it wide open nearly all the time.

Well my XF23mm f2 just got delivered so it can now go on my Xpro2 :cool:
I went to order one from my usual supplier today, and they are currently out of stock.. :( I'll have to wait a bit I guess. The 100-400 is going on Monday to fund some recent purchases.

I went to order one from my usual supplier today, and they are currently out of stock.. :( I'll have to wait a bit I guess. The 100-400 is going on Monday to fund some recent purchases.
But why get rid of the 100-400? Apart from the obvious as stated...

But why get rid of the 100-400? Apart from the obvious as stated...
I just don't get on with it, to be honest I don't do much where I need that FL either now, when I was shooting motorsport or aircraft with my Canon gear, I needed the 100-400L, but now I don't really have chance to do that, if it changes I'll just buy another.

I've stopped using the 50-140 now as I find the results too inconsistent to rely on it. (probably sell or part ex it against a new nikon 70-200) I'm sticking to just using the 27 pancake which, thankfully is consistently good.

The 27mm is an under-rated lens for sure. You don't see it mentioned much. It was the first Fuji lens I owned but sold it on to get the 35 1.4. I'm personally not a huge fan of pancake lens design as I prefer a little something to cup in hand. But it would be a great travel lens on one of the smaller bodies

I went for the f2, on the basis it is smaller and weather resistant. I was concerned about the softness close up, but it was pointed out to me that the f1.4 doesn’t focus as near anyway.

I went for the f2, on the basis it is smaller and weather resistant. I was concerned about the softness close up, but it was pointed out to me that the f1.4 doesn’t focus as near anyway.

That is true, also I think the F2 is a lot better stopped down to 2.8 for close up work? it only has that softening 'glow at F2?

I've stopped using the 50-140 now as I find the results too inconsistent to rely on it. (probably sell or part ex it against a new nikon 70-200) I'm sticking to just using the 27 pancake which, thankfully is consistently good.

I'd be interested to know what "inconsistencies" you found in the results using the 50-140. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm very happy with the results.

I'd be interested to know what "inconsistencies" you found in the results using the 50-140. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm very happy with the results.
Same here. My experience is that it is a great lens.

That is true, also I think the F2 is a lot better stopped down to 2.8 for close up work? it only has that softening 'glow at F2?
I haven’t noticed any problems with it.

I know of hardly ANY lens that is as good wide open as stopped down so by this reasoning the 1,4 stopped down to 2 is as good but with one stop in the bank...

I might be ignorant but, excepting for low light / indoor shooting, is f/1,4 really needed on a moderately wide lens?

Last edited:
Back