The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone know if its possible to use Bulb mode with an ELectronic Shutter on XT3?

Couldnt get it to work today, change of plans saw me at a Long Exposure location and hadn't tested the new remote release. I have been using the camera a lot on the electronic shutter and the remote wouldnt work. The display reads shutter speed of 1 second and takes a 1 second exposure when you press and hold/lock the remote or shutter release. Just switched to Mechanical shutter and it shows Bulb on the display where shutter speed is and works as a remote should. Timer mode works with ES fine.
Is there a setting i cant find or just that ES is not Bulb compatible?
Doesnt mention Bulb mode not available under Bulb in the Manual

Hmm, I never see the need to go that high, but as you say, mask it and it should be fine.
It's the way import defaults to an overall 40% sharpening that's a bit daft.

I know it sounds high, but if you set the masking high, it only sharpens the areas that "need" it.

Reactions: LC2
Repeated experiments have led me to the *personal* view that to extract the most detail from an X-Trans RAW without artifacts, particularly from the older generation of cameras, the best Lightroom-based results are obtained by using the X-Transformer plugin set to low, followed by careful use of Smart Sharpen in Photoshop. However, the differences are not large, and they certainly wouldn't be relevant to most portraits, for example. I find that rough stone textures and the like produce artifacts most easily, but YMMV. There are however numerous ways of getting an acceptable result, so long as you don't just go with the Lightroom defaults.

Reactions: LC2
Just wondering here....
Is the XH1 ever going to be replaced with an XH2?
I'm more than happy with mine (even if I don't post much on here..) but can't help wondering - Anyone got any thoughts about this?

Lens quandary...

Current line up is
xc 16-50 f/3.5-5.6
xf 18-55 f/2.8-4
xf 10-24 f4
xf 27 f/2.8
Samyang 12mm
7artisans 7.5mm

Now I really want a bright prime, preferably the 23mm f/1.4 or possibly the 35mm f/1.4 but I think that will be too long for what I want it for, which is pictures of the dogs in the woods.

I can sell the samyang as it’s now redundant pretty much, although it’s handy for Astro.

I could sell the 18-55 as upto 24mm is covered, but then my longer end is only covered by the 16-50 which is fine, but quite slow compared to the 18-55.
I could also sell the 27mm as the 10-24 covers it albeit slightly slower at f4.

So my thinking is.
Sell the 18-55, sell the 27mm, sell the 12mm and buy the 23 1.4.
I should get around £550-£600 and I can get a used 23mm for about £400. Trouble is I really like the 18-55.

Agrh... Just thinking out loud, I know no one can help!

Lens quandary...

Current line up is
xc 16-50 f/3.5-5.6
xf 18-55 f/2.8-4
xf 10-24 f4
xf 27 f/2.8
Samyang 12mm
7artisans 7.5mm

Now I really want a bright prime, preferably the 23mm f/1.4 or possibly the 35mm f/1.4 but I think that will be too long for what I want it for, which is pictures of the dogs in the woods.

I can sell the samyang as it’s now redundant pretty much, although it’s handy for Astro.

I could sell the 18-55 as upto 24mm is covered, but then my longer end is only covered by the 16-50 which is fine, but quite slow compared to the 18-55.
I could also sell the 27mm as the 10-24 covers it albeit slightly slower at f4.

So my thinking is.
Sell the 18-55, sell the 27mm, sell the 12mm and buy the 23 1.4.
I should get around £550-£600 and I can get a used 23mm for about £400. Trouble is I really like the 18-55.

Both there 35 1.4 and 23 1.4's are superb, I am slightly more inclined to go with the 35 for my stuff, but I leave the 23 on my XP2 for the most part. I also have the 16 1.4 which is a gorgeous lens. You could always go for the 23 F2 if money is holding you back, these are pretty cheap on E Infinity.

You have my sympathy.

I got the 18-55 as a stop gap figuring I'd replace it with the small F2 primes. I've ended up being really comfortable with the 18-55 as it's just worked out way better than expected even though I prefer primes. So that messed up my original plan.

Fuji haven't exactly lost out on this either - I've ended up going for the 56mm F1.2 in the summer and just capitulated on the 16mm F1.4 - and will almost certainly get a second body before the end of 2020.

Ok it’s that time of year again.. I’m looking for a dedicated portrait lens as I’m getting more and more requests for portraits. I have the 56, and like it, but I’ve also used the Viltrox 85mm with the T3 but struggled with no ibis. As I’m considering moving on the T3 for another H1 I’m also thinking of revisiting the Viltrox again. Or do I stick with the 56? Or do I look at the 90? Any recommendations would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Ok it’s that time of year again.. I’m looking for a dedicated portrait lens as I’m getting more and more requests for portraits. I have the 56, and like it, but I’ve also used the Viltrox 85mm with the T3 but struggled with no ibis. As I’m considering moving on the T3 for another H1 I’m also thinking of revisiting the Viltrox again. Or do I stick with the 56? Or do I look at the 90? Any recommendations would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

The 56mm would be a better choice but the 90 is a classic even though you`d have to give your self room.

Cheers,
Depends on the type of portrait I guess. The 90 is brilliant but at FF equivalent of 135 is quite long. I use the 35 and 56 most. But when appropriate the 90 is superb.

Cheers,

IMO with the H1, although I don`t own one (way too shakey) I reckon the 90 would be perfect. Gets stellar reviews, and all that wonderful shallow DOF to boot :) @Dave70D would be able to point you in the right direction. But that`s what I`d go for :)

Dayum I type slow

Last edited:
Depends on the type of portrait I guess. The 90 is brilliant but at FF equivalent of 135 is quite long. I use the 35 and 56 most. But when appropriate the 90 is superb.
Yeah the amount of room I’d need is a concern

Yeah the amount of room I’d need is a concern
I guess only you know of a 90 would work for you. If I wanted that type of focal length I’d stick with the 90 for sure.

Just noticed the black and white is wonky.. Must be cos I’m still ill and a bit dizzy :banghead:

Last edited:
Foggintor Quarry on Dartmoor today - it certainly was foggy!

X-Pro1 ; XF 10-24 ; ISO200 ; f11 ; 40"

DSCF5301.jpg

How? I've tried that a few times and it never seems to save the settings
You had me questioning myself there - but I went back and checked an imported file that I have otherwise not touched and the sharpening settings were there.

All I did was update an existing user preset and apply it at import. I can export the preset for you if you like.

Now that Christmas is done it is time to think about buying lenses in the sales - in my case a 55-200! I have a “£100” voucher that Fuji emailed out, which looks like it can be used with the £90 cash back. Has anyone had a successful cash back claim having used the voucher?

I see Park Camera have also got a good offer on today, but I have never used them and think I would prefer to go into my local beach of LCE/WEX and walk out with the lens.
LCE had the 55-200 in stock, so I picked it up today. I see Fuji are now letting you fill in the cash back claim from the day of purchase, without having to wait 28 days, now. I find it much easier to do it straight after purchase, when I have the receipt etc to hand.

I haven't had a chance to test the lens yet - hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow. Fortunately it fits in my new camera bag, either mounted to the body, or with either of my other lenses mounted, which makes my life simpler!

Just ordered a 23 f2. I can't justify £400 yet. If it doesn't do what want I doubt I'll loose much money on it. Reviews seem very mixed. Some say bar the 16 1.4 it's the best Fuji lens. Others say it's terrible. Guess I'll find out. I cant think it's terrible. No Fuji lens is, even the cheap xc's

LCE had the 55-200 in stock, so I picked it up today. I see Fuji are now letting you fill in the cash back claim from the day of purchase, without having to wait 28 days, now. I find it much easier to do it straight after purchase, when I have the receipt etc to hand.

I haven't had a chance to test the lens yet - hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow. Fortunately it fits in my new camera bag, either mounted to the body, or with either of my other lenses mounted, which makes my life simpler!

Look forward to hearing what you think, if I was to get another lens, it would be this one.

You had me questioning myself there - but I went back and checked an imported file that I have otherwise not touched and the sharpening settings were there.

All I did was update an existing user preset and apply it at import. I can export the preset for you if you like.

That would be good, thanks

Just ordered a 23 f2. I can't justify £400 yet. If it doesn't do what want I doubt I'll loose much money on it. Reviews seem very mixed. Some say bar the 16 1.4 it's the best Fuji lens. Others say it's terrible. Guess I'll find out. I cant think it's terrible. No Fuji lens is, even the cheap xc's
I have a 23f2 lens, I think it is great, for me I prefer the smaller size to the extra stop of light.
I fully agree that Fuji lenses are all good!

Been a little bit since I posted some images, so here's a selection from over Christmas - A couple from home, a couple from work/Christmas parties where I'm working in social care

DSCF5255 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF5394 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF5403 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF5267 by K G, on Flickr

All lovely images Keith, but the stand out one for me is the last one as imo it`s a cracking shot.

I have a 23f2 lens, I think it is great, for me I prefer the smaller size to the extra stop of light.
I fully agree that Fuji lenses are all good!

Put my 23 f2 on the Xpro2 last night, as I hope to get in the local church today to try out.

Look forward to hearing what you think, if I was to get another lens, it would be this one.

In my opinion the 55-200mm is optically “Excellent”, particularly around the F5.6 - F8 areas. I’ve had one for ages and it is still probably my fav’ lens.

George.

That’s a positive “Result” in my book, congrat’s and “ENJOY”.

George.

Cheers,

I don't get to use it often, but when I do, I am always blown away by the 90mm. Absolute gem of a lens.

DSCF9929 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Back