The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I have recently started a new project focussed on street and city photography. My day job is working in weddings and portraiture and Feel that this new project will help me improve on certain aspects of my skillset that are severely lacking. I have trips to Washington DC and New York in the next few weeks and am currently planning my trips later in the year based on this project (thinking maybe nashville). The website for this project is www.3291project.com and I have already begun creating a few boards of previous trips' images. Very excited to crack on with this, and it is very much spurred on by my fairly recent switch from Canon to Fuji.

This was shot on an XT2 with the 18mm prime back in 2017

3291-0061.jpg
Superb shot, and also loving the processing. I am looking to do something similar, but not sure I can get anything as good as this. :)

Thanks Kris. Just a slightly modified preset I have

Did it begin with Chrome? Just curious, as I have a similar style preset, begins with converting to chrome and from there I pump contrast, shadows, adjust a few other bits and bobs. If not, I like it nonetheless.

Did it begin with Chrome? Just curious, as I have a similar style preset, begins with converting to chrome and from there I pump contrast, shadows, adjust a few other bits and bobs. If not, I like it nonetheless.

It does yes. Pretty much the same as you, plus highlights and some curves

It does yes. Pretty much the same as you, plus highlights and some curves

Yup, I find with my Fuji files in general I need to drag highlights right down, but this is fine as I like to push shadows up too

I have trips to Washington DC and New York in the next few weeks and am currently planning my trips later in the year based on this project (thinking maybe nashville).

You'll love "Nashville TN (Music City), I was raised there and born in "Murfreesboro" just a short distance from "Nashville". It's a great place for street photography especially around the Honky Tonks areas during the evening at downtown Broadway. When I'm back home in the states I live at "Spring Creek TN" now and always head on up to the 615 (Nashville) as often as I can.

George.

Last edited:
Toying with the idea of a 10-24 after struggling a couple of times yesterday with the 16 not being wide enough. What’s people’s experiences of it for urban landscapes? Or should I look at a wide prime?

Have had the 14mm for ages and delighted with its IQ, size and width. Bought the 10-24mm from Wex Bristol using the £100 voucher and 5% off code at Xmas and it is amazing. The IQ at 14mm is identical, 10-14mm is as sharp as a razor and the only fall off in sharpness is at 24mm where there is slight softness at the edges.

Never thought I would say it but the 14mm is going as the sheer convenience, the OIS and the extra 2mm of width makes the 10-24 a winner for me.

Toying with the idea of a 10-24 after struggling a couple of times yesterday with the 16 not being wide enough. What’s people’s experiences of it for urban landscapes? Or should I look at a wide prime?

In one word mate, "EXCELLENT".

George.

I‘m thinking about buying stuff. :)

Have many here bought/used the 16-80?

I’m wondering if it’s more suitable for me than the 16-55 that I own?

I really missed having image stabilisation when I was getting hammered by the worst of Welsh weather the other day - a lot of shaky shots with the 16-55 - but I still think it’s a great lens IQ-wise. I can’t justify having both, I’m not fused about the 2.8/4.0 difference in the two lenses.

:help:

Have had the 14mm for ages and delighted with its IQ, size and width. Bought the 10-24mm from Wex Bristol using the £100 voucher and 5% off code at Xmas and it is amazing. The IQ at 14mm is identical, 10-14mm is as sharp as a razor and the only fall off in sharpness is at 24mm where there is slight softness at the edges.

Never thought I would say it but the 14mm is going as the sheer convenience, the OIS and the extra 2mm of width makes the 10-24 a winner for me.
Similar experience to others. Had the 14, tried a 10-24, sold the 14! Really versatile and fun lens.

I really missed having image stabilisation when I was getting hammered by the worst of Welsh weather the other day - a lot of shaky shots with the 16-55 - but I still think it’s a great lens IQ-wise. I can’t justify having both, I’m not fused about the 2.8/4.0 difference in the two lenses.

Well, it's about 200g lighter for a start, and it gives you OIS. If you're not too fussed about losing the extra stop of light it looks like a decent buy for the non IBIS bodies. If I used any of the T bodies it might take my fancy, but on the H1 I think the 16-55 is the better option.

Last edited:
A picture of my new optional set up for the AD200. I wouldn't normally mount it like this on a stand while on camera, but the extender allows you to keep the weight of the main unit lower to not overbalance. I have the camera with the flash bracket with the round head fitted, so that I can stick the main AD200 in my pocket, or on a belt clip if I need extra power in bright conditions for HSS. I haven't tried it out properly yet, but that is my plan, I have a few scenarios in mind.

Untitled by rick phillips, on Flickr

Untitled by rick phillips, on Flickr

I have the 16-80 and love it, finding it wide enough for many landscapes and the zoom to 80 being very handy too. I bought it for the size and reach, and although would love a wider aperture, I'm happy enough to compromise for a great versatile lens. I did comparisons with the Canon 24-105 II and was impressed enough with the IQ.

Lens arrived today, and it feels great to have a camera again after an almost 3 year absence. Unfortunately I was out playing golf all day so haven't had much of a play around with it yet. I did however, take a test shot of a couple of the boy's cars - as that was the only thing I could get to sit still for long enough - apologies for the boring subject matter! Can't wait to use it in anger!

Cars by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Pretty much SOOC jpg, as I haven’t reinstalled LR on my laptop yet - that’s tomorrow’s job. :D

Very impressed with the build quality of the 18-55 lens - miles better than the Nikon version.

Last edited:
@ianmarsh ....

lovely captures Ian, the light in no.1 makes it my favourite.

First trip of the year to my favourite spot near home..

The late winter sun low in the sky creates some lovely patterns on the hills.

Deverills Jan 2020 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Nice one mate ... But that white stick just above the puddle is a little distracting for me :)

My first visit to this location, I think this will have a lot of potential on the right sunrise (althoiugh it's a 90 minute drive for me!). Anyway, i'm pretty pleased with this image ...

DSCF5481aa.jpg

Thanks for all the positive comments. I was disappointed with these once I had processed them but it seems I shouldn't have been! There is a dark splodge in the sky of the first shot I need to get rid of, but that is proving tricky on my tiny laptop.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I was disappointed with these once I had processed them but it seems I shouldn't have been! There is a dark splodge in the sky of the first shot I need to get rid of, but that is proving tricky on my tiny laptop.

No indeed you shouldn`t have been. I`d be super happy with these :)
As for the splodge ... is it top right a little way down? You could always link so we could try for you, maybe.

I've got some Fuji X cameras.
Bought them to shrink the camera bag.
The X-T1 fell to bits after a couple of years heavy usage. The XE- 2 seems to be OK. Looks like its been to Afganistan . and back on an open jeep.
Now have an X-T2. Not much use so far. Seems OK.
My wife has an A2. she liked using it until she bought an iphone 8.
Such is the way of cameras. They come and go.

Lets see if I can load something from a Fuji.

_DSF9041.jpg

Back