The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looking for recommendations for half decent ND 10 stop screw on filter.
Not too expensive but not a really cheap crappy one.:p
I have a zomei, very little colour cast.

I’ve always liked the Fuji cameras and lenses, it’s just been the rendering but I ‘think’ I now have processing sorted so there’s no more plastic rocks, plastic faces or artificial trees.

The trouble is (and always has been) the weight/bulk vs IQ as well as ergonomics. I have quite large hands so small cameras with small grips don’t feel as good to use so I prefer a camera of a ‘certain size’, but then of course this tends to add weight, and of course the larger size can also be a nuisance such as when you have a spot of lunch and the camera takes half the table up (so to speak ;)).

If I’m purely out for photography then all of this is a none issue, I can pick whatever tool is best for the job, but it’s days out/holidays where photography isn’t the priority but I still want nice photos, better than the phone.

I’ve got some film for my OM1 but I’ve not loaded it yet, I do plan on getting out with it at some point this year though.
Glad that you have got the Fuji issue sorted, I only noticed it my X10 now and again. I will still keep an eye out for a small Fuji, probably when I spot an older generation one, when it will be at it lowest price. Hey that's great, shooting film, I am already doing it. :)

One form a visit to London last year with the XT-30

London by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Now that's very clever - how long did you stand there waiting and how many other shots did you take before that one? I just never SEE images like that and would have walked passed. Mind you, I've usually got the wife and hound with me so that limits it somewhat!!

Now that's very clever - how long did you stand there waiting and how many other shots did you take before that one? I just never SEE images like that and would have walked passed. Mind you, I've usually got the wife and hound with me so that limits it somewhat!!
Thanks Andrew this was one of those I saw him sat there when I was walking down the street. I got about 3 shots before he moved the only difference in them is the reflections. Mind you I did take rather more shots than that during the day and I do spend a lot time waiting on street corners.

Nice shot that @Graham.

So, wish me luck as I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying an XH1 and what will be my first ever Fuji. I know its a flawed camera in many people's eyes, but nevertheless I rather like it. The price is now at the right point, the size is right (for my hands) the shutter is gorgeously smooth and shock protected, the IBIS helps my increasingly shaky hands and the lenses are cheaper and smaller than I'm used to. (ie Nikon).

Worries: The rendering and that the Xtrans image processing problems regarding that 'plastic/worms' look I remember peeps talking about. Is it fixed?

Nice shot that @Graham.

So, wish me luck as I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying an XH1 and what will be my first ever Fuji. I know its a flawed camera in many people's eyes, but nevertheless I rather like it. The price is now at the right point, the size is right (for my hands) the shutter is gorgeously smooth and shock protected, the IBIS helps my increasingly shaky hands and the lenses are cheaper and smaller than I'm used to. (ie Nikon).

Worries: The rendering and that the Xtrans image processing problems regarding that 'plastic/worms' look I remember peeps talking about. Is it fixed?

Perhaps Toby @snerkler can give you some pointers on Processing

I think so, I've just been going over a load of old Fuji files that I wasn't happy with, plus some raw samples online from the X-T20, X-T30, X-T2 and X-T3 and I've produced results that I'm happy with. Certainly no plastic looking rocks or worms (worms have always been a result of over sharpening though).

I think so, I've just been going over a load of old Fuji files that I wasn't happy with, plus some raw samples online from the X-T20, X-T30, X-T2 and X-T3 and I've produced results that I'm happy with. Certainly no plastic looking rocks or worms (worms have always been a result of over sharpening though).

Toby, are you using Lightroom ? I ask as I have found the more recent versions of Adobe products to work much better with Fuji RAW files. There is no doubt though, that poorly exposed images do tend to generate artefacts. I know this as I'm not that great at this photography stuff :LOL::LOL:

Toby I'd be interested as to how you did this, can you share. Its not an issue thats concerned me (as you know), but I like to understand everything!

Just ordered this ND.
Genuine HOYA Pro ND1000 Filter 58mm 10 stops ND 1000 lens filter

Yep had one before on my canon system.:)

Its missing some buttons and looks pretty much exactly the same as the F.
Slight differences, I guess we will have to wait until the reviews are out to see if the operation, lens sharpness and AF speed, AF system etc is improved over the X100F. :)

Nice shot that @Graham.

Hi Nick,
oh and anyone else for that matter.
When quoting someone please please don`t put the @ before the name of the person unless it`s their pseudo name, I have been tagged yet again into this group.
I am just saying/pointing this out, no I`m not annoyed but just wanted to make a point.
Happy shooting :)

Nice shot that @Graham.

I love my X-H1. Been shooting with it for just about a week now, and although it doesn't quite have the dynamic range of my full frame, it renders photos superbly well, and feels much lighter and more compact. Just love the shutter and it's premium feel when actuated. No more 'clack clack clack'

Toby, are you using Lightroom ? I ask as I have found the more recent versions of Adobe products to work much better with Fuji RAW files. There is no doubt though, that poorly exposed images do tend to generate artefacts. I know this as I'm not that great at this photography stuff :LOL::LOL:
Yes Lightroom. It's definitely improved over the years, but I think it's since they've added the texture slider that it's really made the final bit of difference.
Toby I'd be interested as to how you did this, can you share. Its not an issue thats concerned me (as you know), but I like to understand everything!
This is the issue, there's not a one stop solution and I've found it depends on the scene. With my Nikon and Olly I have a preset that works for all images (other than cropping and any necessary exposure alterations) whereas with the Fuji I've ended creating about 25 to find a one stop solution, but failed so I have 4 go to options depending on the scene and it's a case of trying which one looks best. To get natural looking rocks and trees, plus no worms and no painterly effect it's a balance between sharpening (used with caution), detail, texture, Dehaze, and shadows. I've found decreasing the shadows slider can give a more natural look in some situations, especially if using the Adobe colour and/or Provia standard profiles. My favourite profile overall is Pro Neg Hi, but I do use adobe colour for some and pro neg std for some. Provia Std (with some tweaks) works well for people imo.

Yes Lightroom. It's definitely improved over the years, but I think it's since they've added the texture slider that it's really made the final bit of difference.
This is the issue, there's not a one stop solution and I've found it depends on the scene. With my Nikon and Olly I have a preset that works for all images (other than cropping and any necessary exposure alterations) whereas with the Fuji I've ended creating about 25 to find a one stop solution, but failed so I have 4 go to options depending on the scene and it's a case of trying which one looks best. To get natural looking rocks and trees, plus no worms and no painterly effect it's a balance between sharpening (used with caution), detail, texture, Dehaze, and shadows. I've found decreasing the shadows slider can give a more natural look in some situations, especially if using the Adobe colour and/or Provia standard profiles. My favourite profile overall is Pro Neg Hi, but I do use adobe colour for some and pro neg std for some. Provia Std (with some tweaks) works well for people imo.

Good to know you are happy with Lightroom., have you tried the Enhance Details function - https://elialocardi.com/adobe-lightroom-camera-raw-enhance-details-review/

2. I got mine set up to zoom in when you press the rear command dial I'm presuming its zoom to 100%. But doing forget to get 100% you got to be shooting either raw & jpeg or jpeg.

3. Sort of don't think there is an actual way to set it to a button press but you can set one of the buttons to af-on then if you switch the focus dial to manual the button you have assigned will auto focus while the shutter button doesn't. So it's a matter of switching the focus dial to manual to bbf.
Never new that about the 100% thing, but never shoot in jpeg only, or raw only.

Ok so I’ve been looking at the X-T3 and X-T30 and have a couple of questions.

1. Can you set up user settings that you can recall? I see there’s 7 custom settings but these are just for jpeg options and not shooting settings. I like to have a user setting for landscape (Base ISO, f8, aperture priority etc etc) and wildlife (Auto ISO, 1/1000 shutter, wide open aperture, manual mode etc etc) and possibly another setting.

2. When reviewing an image is there a quick way (ie single button press) to view the image at 1:1 at the AF point?

3. Is there a quick way/toggle to enable/disable BBF?
Ooh, another nikon to Fuji togger

Last edited:
I love my X-H1. Been shooting with it for just about a week now, and although it doesn't quite have the dynamic range of my full frame, it renders photos superbly well, and feels much lighter and more compact. Just love the shutter and it's premium feel when actuated. No more 'clack clack clack'
I love mine too. for anything other than shooting erratic people (my daughter) I prefer it over the X-T3.

Anybody know if Fuji RAW files play nicely with Apple Photos, Darkroom and Affinity Photo on iPad Pro? :)

Anybody know if Fuji RAW files play nicely with Apple Photos, Darkroom and Affinity Photo on iPad Pro? :)

There “Excellent” using “Affinity Photo”, but on an iPad pro version they will only open properly in the Native Raw “Uncompressed” format. I do virtually all of my PP work now using Affinity Photo either on a Macbook pro or iPad pro.

“Apple Photos and Darkroom I’ve never used”

George.

Back