The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I didn't know I wanted this X100V, but damnit, now I do! :D

That, or I hope Fuji do the right thing and upgrade the 23F2 for their inter-changeable cameras to match. The old one needed stopping down to 2.8 or even F4 to get close to this at F2!

Last edited:
I`m going to wait and see what the X-T4 is like, and if it has got IBIS then I will have fun deciding which one to get.

It seems certain that the T4 will have IBIS, and I know for sure I will want it. But I'd have to wait a while for it to start dropping in price. If they brought out an updated 23F2 to match this one on the V that would be such a sweet combination!

So, having pulled the trigger on an XH-1, took it out for the first time today.

I'm happy to find that right off the bat, the IBIS allowed me to easily get a sharp shot while allowing the subject a little motion blur. My thoughts? Well, the camera is definitely leisurely in start up and focusing compared to Nikon, but as I'm not a pro and don't do either sports or wildlife, am I bothered? No. The really great thing is it's nicely weighty, reassuringly solid and ergonomically sound. The shock-resistant shutter mechanism and release is beautifully smooth and quiet, a real jewel. I like that. Yes, battery life is cr*p but spares are light and small and easily swapped out. Not a problem. I won't be using the battery grip as it makes the thing too big and heavy for just about everything - except for when shooting intensive portraits when the vertical shutter release is perfect and viable. So, I guess I'm happy!

Last edited:

I'm happy to find that right off the bat, the IBIS allowed me to easily get a sharp shot while allowing the subject a little motion blur. (image below) My thoughts? Well, the camera is definitely leisurely in start up and focusing compared to Nikon, but as I'm not a pro and don't do either sports or wildlife, am I bothered? No. The really great thing is it's nicely weighty, reassuringly solid and ergonomically sound. The shock-resistant shutter mechanism and release is beautifully smooth and quiet, a real jewel. I like that. Yes, battery life is cr*p but spares are light and small and easily swapped out. Not a problem. I won't be using the battery grip as it makes the thing too big and heavy for just about everything - except for when shooting intensive portraits when the vertical shutter release is perfect and viable. So, I guess I'm happy!

Seperate Ways by Watch the Birdy, on Flickr
Once you get used to it the battery life can be surprisingly good, I always find I chimp a lot more with a new camera. I used to get 900+ shots on one battery on the XH-1, have to say they don't like the cold though, drops quite a bit this time of year.

I'm happy to find that right off the bat, the IBIS allowed me to easily get a sharp shot while allowing the subject a little motion blur. (image below) My thoughts? Well, the camera is definitely leisurely in start up and focusing compared to Nikon, but as I'm not a pro and don't do either sports or wildlife, am I bothered? No. The really great thing is it's nicely weighty, reassuringly solid and ergonomically sound. The shock-resistant shutter mechanism and release is beautifully smooth and quiet, a real jewel. I like that. Yes, battery life is cr*p but spares are light and small and easily swapped out. Not a problem. I won't be using the battery grip as it makes the thing too big and heavy for just about everything - except for when shooting intensive portraits when the vertical shutter release is perfect and viable. So, I guess I'm happy!

Seperate Ways by Watch the Birdy, on Flickr

I thought similar when I first got my X-H1, thought the battery life sucked. But once I had it set up to suit me it started to improve, not certain what it was I changed to make batt life much better, but it did improve a lot. I just have 2 official batteries, I don't own a grip, and I am confident those 2 batts will be sufficient for full day's shooting in any circumstance. Then I'm not a rapid fire type,

Not sure it's a Golden Eagle, the colours a bit off, but it's definitely a Falcon of some kind. It may not be a UK bird, a lot of display's have birds like Lanner Falcons etc which are not natural to the UK.

So, the Mrs was asking about "focus stacking" this evening, and we did a little experiment. Very basic, in the front room with the TV remote. Shot @ f2.8. Here's the first image, and the combination of a 50 exposure stack...

stack test by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

stack test 2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The difference is incredible really..... Shot on a T2 & 35 f1.4, using the focus stack facility in the camera. Images brought into LR, then exported to PS as layers.

Last edited:
It seems certain that the T4 will have IBIS, and I know for sure I will want it. But I'd have to wait a while for it to start dropping in price. If they brought out an updated 23F2 to match this one on the V that would be such a sweet combination!
I’m guessing IBIS will increase the weight?
X-T3 and 100-400 at 400mm. Could anyone tell me what the bird is?

Watchful Bird
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr
Looks like a Harris Hawk to me.

I’m guessing IBIS will increase the weight?
Looks like a Harris Hawk to me.

No doubt, plus the overall physical size. H1 owners like myself won't care about this, but some T1/2/3 owners just might. But, I see it as basically being a T3 with IBIS and [hopefully] better grip. Unless they have some other fine goodies in store. There's still the T3 option which should become even cheaper for those not bothered with IBIS.

On the bird, could well be, I've looked at some google images and 'some' Golden Eagles have similar colour and more in particular the beak, but I am pretty clueless otherwise

[edit] yup after looking at some Harris Hawk images that seems much more likely. GE have a more pronounced 'jaw line' and beak

Last edited:
Every time I see this brilliant concert pianist treating the commuters to a magical display he runs off straight after finishing, one day i'll catch him for a chat to thank him, it really is an honour to watch him perform.

Pianist Kings Cross-1 Mono by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Love this photo!! Captures so many interesting aspects - the arm movement, the smile from the young chap in the background, and the small crowd of ladies in the background. Job well done!!

I wanted to ask how you process your photos in B&W? Do you convert in PP, or do you set your camera to shoot in monochrome?

Guys i just missed out on a 50mm f2 so decided to plump for another lens I've never used the Zeiss 32mm 1.8 and wondered what others opinions were.

Am I the only one who managed to keep clear of X-T4 and X100V talk and reviews (of the latter)?

Am I the only one who managed to keep clear of X-T4 and X100V talk and reviews (of the latter)?
I've been a bit ignorant of it all. Not really looked into what the X100V is? All I know is it's more compact than the X-H1. Have seen cameras in the Fuji lineup that have EVF and OVF features

Having ummed and arred over an X-E2 or X-Pro1 as my first Fujifilm, I have bought ... an X-T1 from a TPer. :whistle:

Now I need a recommendation for a lens. Ideally, I would like to cover the 16-50/2.8 I use on the Sony A6500. But I will want one with a marked aperture range. AFAICS, that means the red-badged XF, not the cheaper XC.

That XF looks a bit spendy (the Sony 16-50/2.8 is only £200 used!). Are there other options - third party? I don't mind a slightly slower aperture if the lens has a good rep for sharpness. (Seems DXO has no info on that.)

Having ummed and arred over an X-E2 or X-Pro1 as my first Fujifilm, I have bought ... an X-T1 from a TPer. :whistle:

Now I need a recommendation for a lens. Ideally, I would like to cover the 16-50/2.8 I use on the Sony A6500. But I will want one with a marked aperture range. AFAICS, that means the red-badged XF, not the cheaper XC.

That XF looks a bit spendy (the Sony 16-50/2.8 is only £200 used!). Are there other options - third party? I don't mind a slightly slower aperture if the lens has a good rep for sharpness. (Seems DXO has no info on that.)

The XF18-55 can be had for £225-£250 ish used

Love this photo!! Captures so many interesting aspects - the arm movement, the smile from the young chap in the background, and the small crowd of ladies in the background. Job well done!!

I wanted to ask how you process your photos in B&W? Do you convert in PP, or do you set your camera to shoot in monochrome?
Thanks very much Gil.

I always shoot in Provia or Classic Chrome. Processing methods vary ranging from using C1 or Fujifilm Camera RAW 3 (Silkypix) to develop the RAW, sometimes I will use one of the Acros filters in those programmes, other times I develop in colour then use ON1 Effects which has a wide range of B&W simulations.

For a lot of my street shots I just use the JPG if shooting Classic Chrome.

Last edited:

You can save a load of money buying the 16-55f2.8 used (or grey.) Fuji always seem to discount this lens heavily in their cashbacks (200 quid last time iirc) so the secondhand value has tumbled.

Back