The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

What are you all up to ? I've just had a massive image cull and back up, well overdue.

I‘m back to work tomorrow - 3x12 hour shifts. Lucky me. :confused: I’m going to be bored stupid so I might take my XE1 with me and have a walk around the grounds and see what I can take pictures of.

When I’m back at home I’ve decided to make some 6x4 prints of my photos and make a scrapbook. Should pass a bit of time and be fun. After that I’m going to do a cull of raw files in my catalogue, cleaning out all the garbage, (which could take a while. :) )

Last edited:
I‘m back to work tomorrow - 3x12 hour shifts. Lucky me. :confused: I’m going to bored stupid so I might take my XE1 with me and have a walk around the grounds and see what I can take pictures of.

When I’m back at home I’ve decided to make some 6x4 prints of my photos and make a scrapbook. Should pass a bit of time and be fun. After that I’m going to do a cull of raw files in my catalogue, cleaning out all the garbage, (which could take a while. :) )

Lol if I did that I would have no photos left.

Hi - the close focus on the 16-55 is closer than listed. On my XT3 at 16mm it focusses at about 27cm from the focus plain which is about 14cm from the front of the lens. Not sure about other focal lengths though..

That might be the case, but I yearned for more, got the 16 1.4 in it's place which is a tough one to beat for close focus outside of a macro lens. That doesn't have the best magnification ratio either though, and it just made me want even more, so I finally gave in and got a true macro lens :D

Speaking of macro, I had some bad luck this eve, was messing about with some kitchen macro set ups and knocked my old YN-560 flash off the counter :( one of the steel connectors inside the battery door has come off - I think it's time .... have it years now, maybe 6-7 - have used it for Nikon, Fuji and M43, so it's definitely paid it's way. Not something I wanted to have to buy right now but maybe something lighter like a Godox TT350

That might be the case, but I yearned for more, got the 16 1.4 in it's place which is a tough one to beat for close focus outside of a macro lens. That doesn't have the best magnification ratio either though, and it just made me want even more, so I finally gave in and got a true macro lens :D

Speaking of macro, I had some bad luck this eve, was messing about with some kitchen macro set ups and knocked my old YN-560 flash off the counter :( one of the steel connectors inside the battery door has come off - I think it's time .... have it years now, maybe 6-7 - have used it for Nikon, Fuji and M43, so it's definitely paid it's way. Not something I wanted to have to buy right now but maybe something lighter like a Godox TT350

The Godox TT350 is a cool little flash, does a good enough job for me when using indoors.

The Godox TT350 is a cool little flash, does a good enough job for me when using indoors.

I had the M43 version for a bit, it is a tidy little unit. The problem I found with it was battery drainage, the unit I had just tore through batts if I set it at anything higher than 1/8th, and being a less powerful unit I would want to use it at least at that for macro work - I'll want to use it outdoors too. There is a V350 version that comes with a rechargeable lithium battery, but it is double the price - at that I would probably go for one of their bigger units and then get the trigger to use it off cam. Sucks that the trigger and receiver I had for the YN won't work for Godox

Last edited:
Never heard of the manufacturer , those shots are really good
Quite impressed with this lens too , wish I was loaded :D
https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-24mm-f-14-2x-macro-probe/

They are also known as Venus Optics, they do make some pretty quirky lenses but I have yet to hear of a bad one from them yet. Aside from that crazy probe macro, they do a lot of 'Zero-D' [no distortion] and APO primes with little to no CA - the 100mm macro I have included. I couldn't even force CA or any noticeable fringing during my testing. They only do manual focus, for now, but if their lenses - given the optical quality - were AF, they'd be pretty expensive I imagine. The build quality on this 100mm macro is excellent, all metal with ultra smooth focus action, really a pleasure to use. The only con for me is that it does start to feel a bit hefty after some intricate focus use. They do a 65mm version for Fuji that is half the weight but optically equal

https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-65mm-2x-ultra-macro-fujifilm.html

Size comparison between the 100mm and 65mm. The difference is more significant when you factor in the adapter that I have to use, I got it in Nikon mount [version shown is the Canon EF mount vers, mine has the aperture ring]

100vs65S-740x493.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that , I'd made the decision to get one but can't find one in stock anywhere

Thanks for that , I'd made the decision to get one but can't find one in stock anywhere

I actually would like to get the 65mm version if I can sell on the 100mm, but holding out till it's back in stock. Rather have the heftier version than neither :D it's suiting my style right now, slowing it down and thinking more about the shot, MF lenses will help you with that a lot - and you won't find any alternatives that do up to 2:1 magnification so cleanly for cheaper

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fL7Aa2QCcI

In case of any doubt on the zero CA performance, I don't remember him ever praising a lens this much on that front. He does exaggerate the little size of it though :D but he is comparing to the 100mm, that he also tested with same results pretty much

Last edited:
You're making the unavailability worse :D

Haha, it was reviews like that caught my interest, and it was actually available at the time - but £409 + shipping here to Ireland was a little beyond me at the time, found the 100mm in like new condition [and it really was I must say] on MPB for £259 and a decent adapter locally for €15 - Bingo! I'll take the extra heft for now :) Actually, the 100mm has one nice advantage, I'll get blurred backdrops easier when desired using it than with a 65mm - but it ends there really. The 65 would be so much lighter, no adapter needed, and well as yer man says, you wouldn't even notice it in the bag it's so dinky :D

I just finished processing a Wedding and have been to the post office sending off their USB. Just going to copy all the files off my laptop onto my NAS and do a backup tonight.

Dunno if I can use this one for the challenge as it was taken before? Couples have allowed me to share their photos of course.

Glass
DSCF0522 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
I love it, such an unusual shot !

I had the 16-55 f2.8 before I bought my X-H1, I used it primarily on my X-Pro 2. I got some lovely images with it, but a lot of soft images as well. Even with the hand grip it didn’t balance well, so I sold it.
A week after I made an impulse purchase of the X-H1 I bought another, such a difference the IBIS made to that lens. It balances perfectly on the X-H1 it is a marriage made in heaven. It is getting near DSLR territory size wise but it’s such a lovely combo. Get one, you won’t regret it !

Thanks Jim, I’m pretty much sold on getting hold of one.

Not too concerned at weight to be fair.

I’m thinking 16-65mm and maybe a 50-140mm if/when works picks up later in the year when the Cvirus has rescinded!

If anyone is interested, I stumbled across this spreadsheet today to give you settings required to simulate various film (around 80 simulations).

Here's the link to the SPREADSHEET
And here's the link to the WEBSITE that it came from.

Well that`s me scuppered. Wife has a temp, and would have been my last day of work, before going onto the 80% shizz. Arghhhhhh !

I just got a message last night that we're to stay home from work until further notice. It's a tricky one for me as I'm only part time and have to fill in time sheets for my hours each week, where the rest are pretty much on a set wage. The manager is trying to source me some work I can do from home. Otherwise I'm back on the dole for now.

On illness, I think the general public are forgetting that we can get sick from a million other things, cold, flu, other viruses didn't die because corona moved in. So fingers crossed that's all it is for you, my partner for example was in quarantine long before all of this. She suffers with a long term illness, now we have to be extra careful obviously, I also just recovered from a bad cold, I knew that's all it was because no cough or temp, just a mild headache and sneezing attacks [had to explain to anyone around me, from distance, that it was just that]

Just delivered WR now.

My name is Dave and I`m a Fujiolic :D
Yep, a proper pukka Fuji whore! :D It's all good though innit.
I manged to find a extra Fuji AH-X100 Hood and Adaptor set (used) :eek: need to clean them up and possibly paint the internal black bits and sell..... :eek:
I still have the original Fuji X100 Product Development brochures from way back in 2010!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Yep, I proper pukka Fuji whore! :D It's all good though innit.
I manged to find a extra Fuji AH-X100 Hood and Adaptor set (used) :eek: need to clean them up and possible paint the internal black bits and sell..... :eek:
I still have the original Fuji X100 Product Development brochures from way back in 2010!!! :eek:

Also NEW signature :p

Well that`s me scuppered. Wife has a temp, and would have been my last day of work, before going onto the 80% shizz. Arghhhhhh !
My wife has had normal flu over the last couple of weeks so fingers crossed it's that mate

Back