The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish football (outside of the top few teams) is very one sided, a bit like the Scottish league was a few years back. The prem is very competitive and teams like Blackburn and Wigan can beat the big boys. Ronaldo has proved he can do it there - and while he has not hit the heights of other players in years gone by, I think this makes him a better player than Messi. Put it this way, if Arsenal could sign one, it would be Ronaldo.

I think both are still a way from being considered called great like Pele, Maradona, di Stefano, Eusabio etc...

But you'd also take De Jong and Barton at Arsenal :D

Messi is at least on a par with Ronaldo and is also 2 years his senior. Neither have achieved much on the international stage. I don't think you can criticise Messi for having been a one-team-man to date.

If I could have either at Arsenal it would be Messi. I think he's more of a game changer and less prone to strops and frustration when a match isn't going his way.

Spanish football (outside of the top few teams) is very one sided, a bit like the Scottish league was a few years back. The prem is very competitive and teams like Blackburn and Wigan can beat the big boys. Ronaldo has proved he can do it there - and while he has not hit the heights of other players in years gone by, I think this makes him a better player than Messi. Put it this way, if Arsenal could sign one, it would be Ronaldo.

I think both are still a way from being considered called great like Pele, Maradona, di Stefano, Eusabio etc...

why do you keep ignoring my question to you regarding the international comments you made?

why do you keep ignoring my question to you regarding the international comments you made?

As you said, Messi has no better stats than Ronaldo. However, from what I have seen, Ronaldo impacts games more than Messi does on the big stage (although I see more of Ronaldo as he features in Euros)

I knew if I mentioned Ronaldo - the Messi fan boys would surface LOL

Why is it one can never be mentioned without the other being brought up ?

I think they're both fantastic players albeit with different qualities. I think I said ages ago that Ronaldo pretty much carries Real along at times whilst messi is like a cherry on a cake.

Phil, they're always going to come up together because they're like twin stars in an inexorable orbit. :) I actually do feel a bit for Ronaldo as in any other modern era there would be no question that he'd be #1. As I said, I don't really care who is better (I believe Messi is, but it's subjective), but I do know that Ronaldo rubs me up the wrong way and it's zero to do with his ex Manc link.

Those of you that are getting confused with International football and Champions league football teams, remember that Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man Utd and Liverpool (with their best champions league side) would all have won the world cup if they were allowed to participate. The champions league is far stronger and a better standard than international football.

Yahoo goal update commentary -

64' This should shake things up a bit with Liverpool’s star men off the bench. A problem for Udinese now.

i'm thinking not.

I watched The Avengers instead. Silly little cup.?

So the FA have more or less branded Terry a liar!!

So the FA have more or less branded Terry a liar!!

Since when did the FA get anything right?

Don't forget that they do not require strong evidence to say he is guilty and that they had already decided he was guilty at the time. In a court Of law he was found not guilty.

And Ashley Cole has fed the fire with his latest tweet: ""Hahahahaa, well done #fa I lied did I, #BUNCHOFT***S" (my censoring for the swear filter)

Since when did the FA get anything right?

Don't forget that they do not require strong evidence to say he is guilty and that they had already decided he was guilty at the time. In a court Of law he was found not guilty.

But despite finding Terry innocent due to an element of doubt - even the court of law said that his side of the story was at best extremely unlikely.

The FA thought the same saying there was "no credible basis" for Terry's defence but unlike the courts don't have to therefore find him innocent.

Last edited:
He would have been far better off putting his hand up at the time and admitting he made a foolish remark in the heat of the moment apologising to Anton Ferdinand and accepting his punishment

Jjm said:
He would have been far better off putting his hand up at the time and admitting he made a foolish remark in the heat of the moment apologising to Anton Ferdinand and accepting his punishment

When has he ever done that?

what's going to be the upshot now from Cashley Cole's comment on twitter? Can't see the FA let that one slide

Most sensible post I have read on the Ashley cole twitter thing:

"Cole had a moment of typing some feelings and then said sorry, end of story the rest is just ill motivated media rubbish."

What a muppet he is. Saw what was said about his evidence and first thing he did was take to twatter.

Should stick to what he is good at. Rio is no better.

Managers should ban these morons from social media sites.

Any one going a game this weekend?

I'm going to be stuck out in the Highlands for a while. No TV at the cottage but I might get lucky with a wifi signal or radio for results. I'll miss everything from this weekend and next weekend. :puke:

See you later.

Last edited:
Suarez's run in the second half and subsequent wasted golden opportunity sums up why he's so frustrating. Had 0-0 all over it from half time.

nearly all games against stoke have 0-0 written all over them unfortunately

So frustrating though. Lots of pluses though and a clean sheet. Pepe actually made a save!

Blah, blah, blah. Stoke are a disgrace to the game. Your rough house tactics are appalling. Sterling, Suarez and Suso were kicked all over Anfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back