The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

I am not sure which camera make you are using. For kites surfers and windsurfers, I have used my Canon 100-400 mk 2. Cracking lens. I haven't tried one of those longer zooms though. I think the weight would put me off - although I haven't checked what that is.

Hi Chipper, i'm using Nikon.
tbh i don't think 400mm is long enough, i had 400mm f/4 with my TC & still had to crop massively.
Unfortuntely i'm gonna need that 600mm. Well thats if the event gets rescheduled for later in the year.....

Hi Chipper, i'm using Nikon.
tbh i don't think 400mm is long enough, i had 400mm f/4 with my TC & still had to crop massively.
Unfortuntely i'm gonna need that 600mm. Well thats if the event gets rescheduled for later in the year.....

I do a lot of kitesurfing photography, and use either my Olympus 300mm (600 equivalent) or my Canon 100-400. I’m sure you already know, but it does depend on what sort of shot you’re after.

One thing is that if you zoom right in, then you lose the sea and what might be a fantastically high jump looks like any other jump. For the pros and semi pros at my beach I tend to zoom out.

Also if they are wave riding or doing tricks in the shore break then they may not be that far away.

Mind you, I suppose it might be nice to have the 600mm option, and if you know the venue, then I guess you know how far away they are likely to be.

Here’s a couple of examples, when one was too close, and another where you can see the scale.

... low quality as I’ve just grabbed what was on my iPad

IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_4394.JPG

Last edited:
I've been happy with my kit for the last couple of years but i have an event later in the year where i need to shoot kitesurfers & windsurfers.
Generally i don't shoot over 200mm, i drid try the 2xTC on my 200 f/2 but it wasnt long enough & turned a good lens into a meh lens!
So without wanting to get my feet wet i'm kinda lusting after a Sigma 60-600mm Sports zoom :whistle:

If all you want to shoot is action then a wide ranging long zoom is ideal I used to use a 150-500 Sigma on crop and full frame. Although some of my best action pictures came from an 18-200 on a crop when I put chest waders on and got in the water! But there is more to kitesurfing than action and I used any focal length I fancied from 14 on FF upwards. Watch out for salt spray on the front element, it can mess up pictures.

https://photo.dlst.co.uk/albums/kitemen/

With the lockdown I am not using my camera much if at all...its not left my case since I got back from Korea.

Spent money on a new coffee grinder instead.

@Bebop … Did you see this story from last year? I know the place reasonably well and have measured his jump and the 200 yards is pretty close - if anything, the jump was a bit over that!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ex7p_kyZE
O my word.... that could have been interesting. I see kitesurfers on Botany Bay when I visit my brother in Oz. I asked one of them if they had ever landed somewhere tricky and he said one of them took off and ended up in the pines that line the beach on the strip of land between the beach and a very busy road to the city! He survived. Must be a buzz, mind.

O my word.... that could have been interesting. I see kitesurfers on Botany Bay when I visit my brother in Oz. I asked one of them if they had ever landed somewhere tricky and he said one of them took off and ended up in the pines that line the beach on the strip of land between the beach and a very busy road to the city! He survived. Must be a buzz, mind.

If all is attached correctly, they can jettison the kite - a few have blown across the road near our beach, but bailing out would take courage if you’re high. Sadly a kite surfer died here last summer. I was out photographing at the time [emoji22]

I've managed to sell a peak design strap and not buy anything camera related, however the wife has managed to buy an american fridge freezer, garden furniture, professional nail kit and very kindly bought me a gift comprising of emulsion and brushes.

So do I and I’m not a coffee drinker [emoji16] but I find him watchable and we have a real world connection which is why I first had a look.

I drink coffee, to the average person I’m probably a coffee snob (I buy beans to grind/espresso/v60 at home) but I like Starbucks too so to a true coffee snob I’m just a peasant!

Last edited:
I've managed to sell a peak design strap and not buy anything camera related, however the wife has managed to buy an american fridge freezer, garden furniture, professional nail kit and very kindly bought me a gift comprising of emulsion and brushes.
How very considerate! :D

If all is attached correctly, they can jettison the kite - a few have blown across the road near our beach, but bailing out would take courage if you’re high. Sadly a kite surfer died here last summer. I was out photographing at the time [emoji22]
O dear, that's grim. I haven't seen anything like that. Last year, when we were in Rhosneigr, the wind was crazy but the low tide meant that landings would have been on the sand. On the other hand, sand can be very hard so..

O dear, that's grim. I haven't seen anything like that. Last year, when we were in Rhosneigr, the wind was crazy but the low tide meant that landings would have been on the sand. On the other hand, sand can be very hard so..

Yes it was shocking. I’d had a chat with him before he went out although he wasn’t a regular, and I didn’t see what happened. I noticed he was out of sight (round the headland) when I packed up, and I saw the helicopter and lifeboat, thinking a swimmer must have got into difficulty, but didn’t realise it was him [emoji17]

I used to windsurf at Rhosneigr - many happy memories of wild, windy days there [emoji846] lovely place.

[emoji23] On the plus side, you will be able to enjoy a cold beer in the garden.

Glad I have a compulsion to buy 2 litres of Ploumari every September - we're down to 3 litres now and that'll probably have to last us until at least this September, if not longer... Same with soap, I use olive oil and honey soap "all over" (#1 buzz cut means hair condition isn't as important as skin!) and have about a year's worth left in stock. Do you think that makes a drive to Crete a necessary journey?

Damn Covid lockdown has me all stir crazy, I keep eying up the Sony 24-105 G lens, new tripod and the Breakthrough X100 filter system with the 3 stop and 10 stop ND X4 filters, never tried long exposures so that's my justification for buying some filters, something new to try! The 24-105 will be a useful travel lens and will please my wife as I always take old Pentax manual lenses on holiday and she hates waiting around for me to take my shots. The tripod would allow me to try macro as I have an an old Pentax macro lens that I have never used. See, it isn't just impulse, I have thought this all out in my head. Do I want to spend 2K, not really but my heart is telling my head that it would relieve the monotony and cheer me up :) I have resisted now for a whole week so I am feeling good about my willpower..

Last edited:
Damn Covid lockdown has me all stir crazy, I keep eying up the Sony 24-105 G lens, new tripod and the Breakthrough X100 filter system with the 3 stop and 10 stop ND X4 filters, never tried long exposures so that's my justification for buying some filters, something new to try! The 24-105 will be a useful travel lens and will please my wife as I always take old Pentax manual lenses on holiday and she hates waiting around for me to take my shots. The tripod would allow me to try macro as I have an an old Pentax macro lens that I have never used. See, it isn't just impulse, I have thought this all out in my head. Do I want to spend 2K, not really but my heart is telling my head that it would relieve the monotony and cheer me up :) I have resisted now for a whole week so I am feeling good about my willpower..

Has it all arrived yet ?:D

Nope, still resisting though I'm browsing through macro vids on you tube...

Epic Fail :oops: :$

Manfrotto 190 4 section carbon Fibre XPRO tripod
XPRO ballhead
Breakthrough Filters X100 Filter holder and a couple of their filters.
3 stop ND Filter
10 Stop ND filter
Some step up rings
24-105 lens, I have been borrowing a friends whilst he continues his love affair with the 24mm GM - thought it might be a good idea if I got my own seeing as I think it is a good walkaround lens..
Manfrotto Windsor Reporters bag, like the look of this one so I thought why not, I have a full waterproof bag for winter.
I also signed up for a year to the new ON1 Cloud service as I use the software alot..

Now all I need is the Sony 100-400 GM and Im sorted. :eek:

Nikon F100 off of here! :LOL: Just last week!

Why? Well, why not? Another addition to my growing camera collection. Now what I really need, is to make a display stand for them...

Epic Fail :oops: :$

Manfrotto 190 4 section carbon Fibre XPRO tripod
XPRO ballhead
Breakthrough Filters X100 Filter holder and a couple of their filters.
3 stop ND Filter
10 Stop ND filter
Some step up rings
24-105 lens, I have been borrowing a friends whilst he continues his love affair with the 24mm GM - thought it might be a good idea if I got my own seeing as I think it is a good walkaround lens..
Manfrotto Windsor Reporters bag, like the look of this one so I thought why not, I have a full waterproof bag for winter.
I also signed up for a year to the new ON1 Cloud service as I use the software alot..

Now all I need is the Sony 100-400 GM and Im sorted. :eek:
Epic! :clap::clap:

My new Olympus body arrived this week and went for its first walk out today. Yay! Wish we could go a bit farther but I don't want him to life the lockdown yet....

My new Olympus body arrived this week and went for its first walk out today. Yay! Wish we could go a bit farther but I don't want him to life the lockdown yet....
What did you get? I've taken my Olympus for a walk this evening... they are like dogs aren't they? ;) :ROFLMAO:

I upgraded to the EM1 Mk 3 and am pondering a 1-1 with an Olympus team member once I have put in all the settings I wrote down before its ancestor went. I might take it for a walk again today. I think I can hear it barking. :D

'Accidentally' bid for a battery grip for the F100; don't even need one, wasn't going to bother tbh, I have an F5 anyway. Stuck a bid in at the starting price, wasn't going to pay much more, promptly forgot about it. Then found out I'd 'won'! At a pretty low price. So, quite chuffed.

I got a Billingham Hadley Pro Small, for my one lens trips out, so I don`t have to hump a backpack around all the time (y)

I drink coffee, to the average person I’m probably a coffee snob (I buy beans to grind/espresso/v60 at home) but I like Starbucks too so to a true coffee snob I’m just a peasant!
Nothing wrong with that

Fresh grind and use a mokka pot every morning.
At least now I can enjoy the ritual

After buying a macro lens last week I’m now looking at all the various flash set ups to really get the best out of it.

Damn you Nikon R1C1 why are you so expensive, however if a jobs worth’s doing it’s worth overdoing.

Well this happened... I've managed to buy two used SB-R1C1 kits for the price of one new one, so thats 2 SU-800 commanders 4 SB-R200's and more spares than I should ever need. Result.

Last edited:
I purchased my first DSLR in February - Nikon D7100 and ally gear has been second hand
Camera
Bag
Lens etc.

Since lockdown have been toying with idea of getting a super zoom.

So tonight - pulled trigger on the Sigma 150-600 "C" plus Tele for £800 not grey import.
Thank you eBay 5% off so almost £50 off

Nikon F100 off of here! :LOL: Just last week!

Why? Well, why not? Another addition to my growing camera collection. Now what I really need, is to make a display stand for them...
Mine just died. Debating whether I should get another or not.

Mine just died. Debating whether I should get another or not.

Got a MB-15 grip for it. Surprisingly plasticky. Wondering it it is at all genuine, or a knock off? Nowhere near the quality of my MB-D14 on my D600.

Get another F100. Sell your one for spares. It's a great cam. Very impressed with it so far. I really want to get out and about to shoot and compare it with my other cams, particularly the F4, F5 and Canon EOS1. So far, it feels better built than the EOS. Like a baby F5. The plastickyness of the grip does let that package down though.

The Thingify Pinhole Pro that I accidentally ordered on Kickstarter landed today. It certainly looks the part - disappointingly little communication from them (as in zero updates from the initial order placing in April last response I had from them was 15 days ago saying it "might" ship May 8th)

Anyway, a variable aperture pinhole lens

f=55mm
Aperture f/68 to f/550

Should be an interesting thing to play with.

Back