The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

To be absolutely honest, there is a level where one cannot get a good sound without major upgrades, and sometimes not even then. I've owned a couple of GLOs (guitar-like objects) over the years, taking a punt on something cheap and finding it worse than expected - like buying a cheap lens and finding it has no redeeming features at all. There's a lot of pleasure to be had (if you like that kind of thing) in modding a basically good instrument fitted with poor hardware and lousy pickups into something that sounds and plays like it cost 5 X the price. I had a Dean baby V for a couple of years & popped a 70's LP Custom bridge pickup into that - it turned heads and could take your breath away (I also had a Gibson V that would make heads turn the opposite way and felt & played like a cheap Chinese copy). A bad guitar can be a bad guitar, whatever it is, and while one may be able to use it the experience isn't pleasant.

Absolutely, there are elements that you can just buy yourself into. Spend enough money and you will get nice bokeh and immediately your photos will look more cinematic and something mere mortals can't do.

I am sure there are sounds i can get with my Bogner and Les Paul that you just can't get with a Chibson and whatever £100 amps you can get these days.

Sadly I know nothing about guitars. I say 'sadly' as I'm sure those who play will say my life has not been enriched and that I walk a road less travelled..!! But.. I do play keyboards. I had a very nice Roland synth. All the bells and whistles, full of gorgeous sampled sounds, a piano like you'd expect to hear in the Albert Hall at a recital. It also had a sound said to be that of a Hammond M102 - think "Whiter Shade of Pale".. well it was close but it just wasn't a Hammond, which were / are all valves and sound wheels inside, not chips. In this case the old saying 'if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck' doesn't hold true. I expect the same applies to guitars.. ( I did once jam with Alvin Lee..)

I did once jam with Alvin Lee..

Now that IS cool. :cool:

For a few years I used a Roland GR33 & Godin xtSA guitar with a MIDI pickup. Some of the sounds were naff, but it could do a really great sax sound, and people would start wondering where the sax player was. ;)

I love the sax... but play badly (try to). I'm trying to find my way around the banjo at the moment, my lockdown therapy. We have friends in Mississippi who are musicians and one guy plays really amazing banjo.. I (badly) want to learn just a few bars of the banjo piece from Deliverance...!!! LOL my bad.

I love the sax... but play badly (try to). I'm trying to find my way around the banjo at the moment, my lockdown therapy. We have friends in Mississippi who are musicians and one guy plays really amazing banjo.. I (badly) want to learn just a few bars of the banjo piece from Deliverance...!!! LOL my bad.
Tom, if you like the sax, check out the amazing skills/talents of Scott Hamilton, his best album is "Radio City", I'm mega into him and have listened to him live 3/4 times over the years.

I play the Clarinet myself........quite poorly at the minute.

Regards;
Peter

Anybody have any photographic confessions? I had 50 f1.2 on a Canon test drive for the 36 hours or so [of the 48 hours - the rest of it is sleeping and then waiting for the pick up]. It appears to have saved me a shedload of money!:banana:

Anybody have any photographic confessions? I had 50 f1.2 on a Canon test drive for the 36 hours or so [of the 48 hours - the rest of it is sleeping and then waiting for the pick up]. It appears to have saved me a shedload of money!:banana:

The RF? So it's good but not worth the pricetag?

No the 50 1.2 L. I am doing a project where I shoot wide open but i think the 1.4 [Canon] will serve my purpose. Result! I was hoping not to have to find the energy to resist. Perhaps not what Canon had in mind. But as they are so late to the party with this idea [Olympus have been doing it for at least 4 years] I feel excessively pleased that it has saved me money.

Anybody have any photographic confessions?
There was an Olympic f/1.2 lens that was calling to me. In the last few days watching it, the prices have varied from as low as £599 and now up to £1199 for the same lens. I kept hovering, but I really don't need it. So far I have resisted. I really must not read any more reviews mentioning the creamy bokeh. :)

Edit: I've just noticed there is a code for £400 off that £1199..... oh well..., I've missed it at £599. I'd better put the idea to bed.

Last edited:
There was an Olympic f/1.2 lens that was calling to me. In the last few days watching it, the prices have varied from as low as £599 and now up to £1199 for the same lens. I kept hovering, but I really don't need it. So far I have resisted. I really must not read any more reviews mentioning the creamy bokeh. :)

Edit: I've just noticed there is a code for £400 off that £1199..... oh well..., I've missed it at £599. I'd better put the idea to bed.
This is virtuous and gives you good reason to strike quickly next time. Which one was it?

This is virtuous and gives you good reason to strike quickly next time. Which one was it?
The 25mm. I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it... :LOL: I have the 17mm and the 45mm. I like them for dark live music venues, but I was fancying doing some portraiture and street with it which is not my usual genre. I spent ages deciding between the 17 and 25, so I must stick with what I have.

Two different companies had it cheaper than the others, but I think they made a mistake in their pricing. They all now have the same price of £799 after applying discount.

I think I have managed to resist - phew.

Cheapest lens I've got turned out to be rather good. £66.00 on Amazon, Yongnuo 50mm F1.8. Excellent lens for the price, very responsive AF and clear focus. Works for me and £66 is my kind of price.. Now, how much was that Leica CL going for...??

I’ve seen rumours (HotUKdeals) of a week long Amazon sale coming at the end of June so hoping for a discount on a Mavic Air 2!

After an analysis of the adverse effect on perspective of using a macro focus rail in my lockdown obsession of photographing very very very small things with focus stacking I was teetering on the edge of an acute GAS episode.
I had decided that using a follow focus device instead of manual rotation of the lens focus ring was a much much better solution.
I'm pleased to report that a wave of common sense overtook me and I stood back from the edge, my GAS episode has passed.
What we sufferers really need is an internet GAS group therapy session :LOL:

Well GAS finally kicked in what with all this social restriction malarky.
Just wasted a shed load on a 1dx3, memory card and reader.

I don't get the camera til Monday and I'm already in second stage buyers remorse.

Well GAS finally kicked in what with all this social restriction malarky.
Just wasted a shed load on a 1dx3, memory card and reader.

I don't get the camera til Monday and I'm already in second stage buyers remorse.

Well, the good thing about buyer's remorse is that it will pass and then you have a banging new camera! Result!

Well, the good thing about buyer's remorse is that it will pass and then you have a banging new camera! Result!
Actually I held off for a while to see if Canon fixed the lockup issue, which they have.
I bought a 90D as an interim shooting solution but hated it so returned it for a refund

Chance chat with a former work colleague located in HK last week with the result I'm just shy of HK$10000 lighter, have given UPS a boatload of cash and paid the VAT & duty to Rishi on a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II.

Not talking to him for another decade now.:cool:

Certainly didn’t need it, but have just bought a x-pro 1. Late night GAS......

I took delivery of a used X-T3 in great condition on Sat. Purely for MF use on adapted glass, I wanted the big bright EVF and to try Fuji film simulations with old film glass.

I don't suffer from GAS, which is probably just as well because I couldn't afford to! There really isn't anything in the photographic line that I particularly want. A Leica M3 or M4 and a Noct Nikkor do appeal to me, but these are fantasies and will never happen...not important.

I do have a book habit and the 'collection' is getting out of hand though...

I think my GAS is cured. Or at least in remission.

After months of being starved of 'new this', 'new that', reviews, arguments, YouTube comparisons 'experts' I think the enforced cold turkey has finally starved my gas instincts.

I'm sure it'll re-ignite as soon as stuff starts hitting the markets again :D

Same thing has happened to my other obsession - golf.

I've had a bit of GAS recently - really wanted a long telephoto, partly because everyone and his kid brother have been posting pictures of birds and wildlife plus our neighbour told me about some fox cubs locally. But I don't actually like pictures of wildlife, and CBA to go take any more fox cub pictures. :rolleyes:

Kind of ditto with a macro lens, although I'd want it more for close-up work than bug-safari.

Right now I'd like a fisheye lens. I know this IS something I'd use, but I just keep not quite finding one that I want, so my CC is staying safely in my wallet.

Have booked Fri off and Im going to the WWT in Barnes. Not sure how long I will stay as Im still feeling a touch agoraphobic over COVID but I have a 2 camera plan. XT3 and my SMC K 30mm 2.8 and my A7R2 + SMC K 135 2.5. The 135 was recently rediscovered in an old box when I was tidying, it isn't a focal length that Im comfortable with at all, so Im going to force myself to use it and see how I get on..

Have booked Fri off and Im going to the WWT in Barnes. Not sure how long I will stay as Im still feeling a touch agoraphobic over COVID but I have a 2 camera plan. XT3 and my SMC K 30mm 2.8 and my A7R2 + SMC K 135 2.5. The 135 was recently rediscovered in an old box when I was tidying, it isn't a focal length that Im comfortable with at all, so Im going to force myself to use it and see how I get on..
Nice idea, it's not that far from me but I haven't been there for ages. What do you want to photograph there?
Edit :just seen that you have to book, the hides will be open but closing next day on government advice!

Last edited:

Used to be my second home before we moved to Wiltshire. I always had 2 cameras when we went to Barnes, one X-T2 with 100-400 & 1.4TC, another X-T2 with either the 50-140 (for the wildfowl in the walk through sections) or the 35mm with macro tubes for the "little stuff" in the greenery.

Really miss that place, and their coffee & cake!!

Nice idea, it's not that far from me but I haven't been there for ages. What do you want to photograph there?
Edit :just seen that you have to book, the hides will be open but closing next day on government advice!

No real plans to be honest, just thought it would give me a few more options than my garden. Still getting used to the XT3, so some practice will be good and the 30mm will give me 40mm on apsc so Im sure I can get a few nice shots of the water. I need to practice my MF skills as well. The 135mm is not a focal length Im used to or really know what to do with so it will be a chance to force myself to find something. If I struggle too much I can sell the lens on as it is worth alot more than I paid for it as Pentax have a full frame camera now, Id rather keep it if I can as you can never have too much quality glass..

I love a fast-ish 135 - great for isolating subjects or for longer landscapes with compressed perspective.

Well went up here (the tower in the back) early the morning this picture was takenDSCF1360-Fotoklub.jpg

I wanted a picture of the sunup so we're taking before sunup which is 4:35 am
Changing to the 9mm the lens slipped out of my hands rolled over the edge and took a dive onto the tarmac below
When I picked it up the glass was intact but a permanent tillt and fix focus was installed. Anyway I mounted it
DSCF1318-Fotoklub.jpg

Hmm I don't need That lens, I can do without, the 10-24 is much better I told myself
OH well_20200701_165832.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well went up here (the tower in the back) early the morning this picture was takenView attachment 285020

I wanted a picture of the sunup so we're taking before sunup which is 4:35 am
Changing to the 9mm the lens slipped out of my hands rolled over the edge and took a dive onto the tarmac below
When I picked it up the glass was intact but a permanent tillt and fix focus was installed. Anyway I mounted it
View attachment 285022

Hmm I don't need That lens, I can do without, the 10-24 is much better I told myself
OH wellView attachment 285023
I must try that sometime.........:)

I have been suffering from GAS lately. Following a discussion here where I sought ideas/options, I have bought a Tamron 35-150mm lens for my Nikon outfit, but whilst waiting for it to arrive, I succumbed to the purchase of a D200 converted to 590nm IR. This whilst I also have 5 film cameras currently loaded and demanding my attention! I feel naughty and very greedy.

I have just googled this - they do seem to vary in price. How much is the one you have seen? I am all in favour of lockdown treats!

10 days without a confession.... come on now! I used my credit with Wex for a lens coat for a Canon lens I own; it took just over two weeks to get here.

Got a real case of GAS during lockdown, 2 x Godox AD200 Pro, 3 x Godox SL-60W, Viltrox 85mm f/1.8, Viltrox 33mm f/1.4 and have now pulled the trigger on an XT4 & grip. :)

Now need to sell all the unused, unwanted stuff I seem to accumulate...

I have bought breakthrough filters and holder, Manfrotto tripod, ball head, yet another new camera bag :) I bought and then sold on an XT3, I bought by mistake and sold on a Batis F2 25mm, and Im going to buy the 16-35 F4 Zeiss today, Lockdown has killed my bank balance

edit 16-34 now on its way - that is it for me for a while now, my next purchase will be a wide angle prime once I have analysed which FOV I like most from shots taken with my new zoom and I will sell the zoom and go prime...

Last edited:
10 days without a confession.... come on now! I used my credit with Wex for a lens coat for a Canon lens I own; it took just over two weeks to get here.

Oh I hate that, the pleasure of releasing ones GAS can be ruined if the item doesn’t arrive the following day.

Teleporters need to be invented!!!

Last edited:
Back