The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toni.. The article was written by a left-leaning organisation..the same as the Spanish coalition. That's why I pointed that out. In effect it was critical of the coalition parties to which it, according to my link, is politically affiliated so I don't understand why you brought up, quote ' Some will use any opportunity to score points against a party they choose to dislike' referring to members on here but also the media..ie VOX, who wrote the article. I can only assume you didn't open the link which would have informed you of this. This completely nullifies what you've written in your last paragraph..ie why you think Spain is in the situation it's in. You mention Spanish social habits. That's highlighted in the article.

What went on there, politically, has absolutely no bearing on the action of our government and I'm at a loss as to why you've taken that tack.

Some of what went wrong in Spain has been been reflected here but obviously, not for the same reasons. I did say that ,generally, the consensus is that HMG has been behind the curve. I've watched (and heard on the radio) several consultants and doctors say that we should have had the measures we are now seeing put in place taken two weeks ago and testing should have been brought in from the start and even now we're not seeing testing at any reasonable rate,not even for those on the front line. Not only our own consultants and doctors have been criticising the government but the Director General of WHO, no less. Nothing whatsoever to do with political point-scoring. I can't understand why you've read that aspect into it. I'm not often bewildered but I am on this one. As I've mentioned, I suspect you didn't read my link. I may be wrong but that's the only explanation I can think of that would have you take the line you have.

You're correct that I didn't read the article - I commented solely based on your words.

Why do you think we are on lockdown?
It's so people aren't moving around interacting with others and risking spreading further infection.
Importing stuff unnecessarily when it can be sourced here, reduces that.
The ship doesn't arrive in port and the contents get teleported you know.
This makes no particular sense. If you need a ventilator in London, it doesn't matter if it comes from a shipping container in Southampton or a Dyson factory in Wiltshire. You can't build these things on site, and you still need to transport them across the UK. Don't forget we also need to transport vastly greater quantities of other essential stuff (like half the food we eat), which is still being imported from overseas. Ventilator shipments will be a drop in the ocean compared to grocery shipments, from whatever source.

This makes no particular sense. If you need a ventilator in London, it doesn't matter if it comes from a shipping container in Southampton or a Dyson factory in Wiltshire. You can't build these things on site, and you still need to transport them across the UK. Don't forget we also need to transport vastly greater quantities of other essential stuff (like half the food we eat), which is still being imported from overseas. Ventilator shipments will be a drop in the ocean compared to grocery shipments, from whatever source.
But it is still an extra shipment from abroad over which we have no control over whether the human element is infected or not, unlike our own transport system with in the UK.

A 16 year-old girl died in Paris today.....the news channels aren't reporting any pre-existing conditions.

But it is still an extra shipment from abroad over which we have no control over whether the human element is infected or not, unlike our own transport system with in the UK.

We don't know the infection status of the transport system here.

The point is that the shipping from abroad won't add a significant risk because a) the virus won't live long on the product b) the product will be decontaminated before use. Far more worrying to have food shipped in with a very short delay between harvest and delivery to the shop, when decontamination in any conventional form is likely to risk spoilage (I wonder if Ozopure are getting involved in this with their ozone based disinfection system?).

The point is that the shipping from abroad won't add a significant risk because a) the virus won't live long on the product b) the product will be decontaminated before use. Far more worrying to have food shipped in with a very short delay between harvest and delivery to the shop, when decontamination in any conventional form is likely to risk spoilage (I wonder if Ozopure are getting involved in this with their ozone based disinfection system?).
Again, it's not the product, the people in involved.

Ok. But do we need a ventilator? Yes. Do we need Spanish lettuce or beans from Zimbabwe?

If we are so bothered about contamination why not ban some of these food imports? Or even the import of Fuji or Nikon cameras???

Paywall o'clock
How to get round the paywall (sometimes...)
Google the title
Open the link from the google search results.

For some reason this often bypasses the paywall. It does work in this instance for me.

Ok. But do we need a ventilator? Yes. Do we need Spanish lettuce or beans from Zimbabwe?

If we are so bothered about contamination why not ban some of these food imports? Or even the import of Fuji or Nikon cameras???
We grow lettuce and beans here.

I was reflecting on this when I used some grapes (South Africa but S America also in season). I guess they may be flown in, chilled, being very perishable and fairly pricey and of course eaten raw. I’ll have to get Beulah to peel them for me :). But seriously I think they could be a problem.

Again, it's not the product, the people in involved.

The people involved don't make a difference for the reasons I gave. Whatever they might have imparted before and during the journey is either nullified during transit or after arrival.

A 16 year-old girl died in Paris today.....the news channels aren't reporting any pre-existing conditions.

And a 98 year old man in the UK survived. Bound to always be some that have unexpected outcomes, I suppose.

The people involved don't make a difference for the reasons I gave. Whatever they might have imparted before and during the journey is either nullified during transit or after arrival.
It won't be nullified because you are still risking passing the infection from the lorry drivers to the ship crew and from them to people in the UK. Also consider the fact that other countries are trying to get the spread of infection under control, the movement in those countries could spread further as a result, we aren't just in lockdown to our homes, we could be in lockdown to our own country for a long while.
But regardless of the possibility of infection, it would still be money better spent providing work and wages for people in our own country, rather than another country.

It may not be the large news item that they are claiming.
Anywhere that has large animals be that zoo's farms or "other industries" must have at least 1 person living on site .. by law,
It always has been such.

Seems to me to be a disconnect with police checks on single occupancy cars and a the same time images today of people crammed on tube trains. Is Khan playing politics with this?
What a waste of carbon that man is.

Seems to me to be a disconnect with police checks on single occupancy cars and a the same time images today of people crammed on tube trains. Is Khan playing politics with this?

Why is there a disconnect? People are being stopped to ensure their journeys are essential regardless of how many occupants in the car.

The tube is running with a reduced service because up to a third of the staff are off sick or are self-isolating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52038245

This thread is beginning to get ruined with political point scoring.

Last edited:
What a waste of carbon that man is.
As a disinterested observer I'd say that Sadiq Khan appears to be a slightly more sensible individual than most politicians. Mind you, it's not hard to look that way given the competition. :sulk:

in was watching/reading a post on faceberk this morning ,by someone that used to be one of my customers having a pop at airbus for not releasing there stock of face masks to the NHS airbus were saying they were not the correct type and she was saying they met such and such a criteria .
but imho something is better than nothing and I dont think there will be a great demand for airplane wings in the near future .

wake up Boris and smell the coffins FFS

Why is there a disconnect? People are being stopped to ensure their journeys are essential regardless of how many occupants in the car.

The tube is running with a reduced service because unto a third of the staff are off sick or are self-isolating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52038245

This thread is beginning to get ruined with political point scoring.

sorry if it seems political, it is not. If there is a valid reason, fair enough.
Call me cynical, but I find it difficult to believe it can’t be organised better.

in was watching/reading a post on faceberk this morning ,by someone that used to be one of my customers having a pop at airbus for not releasing there stock of face masks to the NHS airbus were saying they were not the correct type and she was saying they met such and such a criteria .
but imho something is better than nothing and I dont think there will be a great demand for airplane wings in the near future .

wake up Boris and smell the coffins FFS

Several companies, including 3M, McLaren, Ford and I am fairly sure I have seen Airbus mentioned also, are 3D printing the requisite face masks and making visors.

As a disinterested observer I'd say that Sadiq Khan appears to be a slightly more sensible individual than most politicians. Mind you, it's not hard to look that way given the competition. :sulk:
I'm not a fan of his either, but I bet he was sweating on the up coming Mayoral elections, as his un popularity seems to be increasing,
scheduled for the 7th of May.. But I'm betting that that these won't happen now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back