The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made in Italy.
The crops farmers around here have been using similar machinery for years, Cambridge University have even developed robots that can operate the machinery.

Should be possible to make reusable masks with changeable filters?

They don’t show it there but the machines I’ve seen on TV all have teams of people (poles!) sitting/lying in the back packing them.
That's not the case on the fields I used to drive past on the way to work almost 7yrs ago, long before that it was all done by hand with pickers on a low lying trailer dragged behind a tractor.

N95 respiratory face masks are 3D printed.

https://formlabs.com/covid-19-response/

"5 Based on clinical opinions and technical feasibility analysis, Formlabs does not recommend 3D printing masks or respirators, including N95s. To make your own N95 respirator using off-the-shelf parts that are traditionally available to the medical community, please watch this video from Boston Children’s Hospital with recommendations and read the position from another hospital leader in our FAQs section below."

https://formlabs.com/covid-19-response/

"5 Based on clinical opinions and technical feasibility analysis, Formlabs does not recommend 3D printing masks or respirators, including N95s. To make your own N95 respirator using off-the-shelf parts that are traditionally available to the medical community, please watch this video from Boston Children’s Hospital with recommendations and read the position from another hospital leader in our FAQs section below."
Just skimming through the FAQ's Formlab state that they don't personally have 3D printers capable of printing N95 face masks. That doesn't mean other companies won't.
Also the Ñ95 mask should be used in combination with a face shield.
mask.jpg

Just heard something interesting. We work with an Italian Diagnostics company who are close to releasing an antibody test. They screened recent blood donations (I don't have information on how recent) and approx 30% appeared positive for antibodies. There is a paper coming, but has not yet been published.

This might help explain the Italian death rate, and how things kept getting worse despite lockdown.

I have no official verification of this right now, so information for interest ONLY until it's been published and data reviewed.

We grow lettuce and beans here.

Just about time to start planting beans for picking in summer so going to be a bit of a wait for those home (as in UK) grown runners...

Also the Ñ95 mask should be used in combination with a face shield.
"Ford Engine prototype"
Is this the first line of the robocob's testing for release onto the streets?

"Ford Engine prototype"
Is this the first line of the robocob's testing for release onto the streets?
You'd be surprised by the things that Ford are involved in that aren't car related.

You'd be surprised by the things that Ford are involved in that aren't car related.
I was referring to the mannequin type figure that is wearing the shirt with the slogan :p

Why is there a disconnect? People are being stopped to ensure their journeys are essential regardless of how many occupants in the car.

The tube is running with a reduced service because up to a third of the staff are off sick or are self-isolating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52038245

This thread is beginning to get ruined with political point scoring.

But I dont see the valkue of the checks. Say I am driving to meet some friends, or go to a park. I get stopped so say to the police I am head to Tesco for food. They wont know if I am telling the truth so pointless?

MIGHT make some people think twice about unnecessary trips if they get stopped and checked a few times.

But I dont see the valkue of the checks. Say I am driving to meet some friends, or go to a park. I get stopped so say to the police I am head to Tesco for food. They wont know if I am telling the truth so pointless?
They have bullshït detectors and are well practised in using them :)

Police could easily use their CCTV cameras to trace where you go.
I saw a video on the TV this morning where the police used a drone and filmed a couple out walking their dog in the Lake District and then getting into their car. They were able to capture the car registration too, so I guess that couple will be getting a nice surprise.

Just heard something interesting. We work with an Italian Diagnostics company who are close to releasing an antibody test. They screened recent blood donations (I don't have information on how recent) and approx 30% appeared positive for antibodies. There is a paper coming, but has not yet been published.

This might help explain the Italian death rate, and how things kept getting worse despite lockdown.

I have no official verification of this right now, so information for interest ONLY until it's been published and data reviewed.

Very exciting if it checks out! As you say, I wonder exactly how recent? Deaths in Italy, which has about 90% of the population of the UK, were comparable to ours just over 2 weeks ago. Far too many uncertainties to guess what this might mean for current seroprevalence in the UK, of course, but it's tempting to speculate!

Police could easily use their CCTV cameras to trace where you go.
I saw a video on the TV this morning where the police used a drone and filmed a couple out walking their dog in the Lake District and then getting into their car. They were able to capture the car registration too, so I guess that couple will be getting a nice surprise.

So the police have the resource to check CCTV for everyone?

That is interesting!

We were skiing in northern Italy in the last week of January. My husband got a virus at the end of the week and he suffered most. I got it the next week with my children. We remarked at the time that it seemed a strange virus and my children (in their 20s) were barely ill. No cough of note though.
I'm harbouring a hope that that was it for us, and we might be immune now.

So how come Boris gets tested ahead of frontline staff? Same BS excuse that he "meets the criteria?" if he's not in hospital with it, he doesn't.

So the police have the resource to check CCTV for everyone?
They have street cameras that they use for parking offences etc. They could easily track a car especially as the roads are now significantly quieter and there are fewer cars and people about. Especially if the same car is seen very often.

A friend of my wife was trying to order online with Boots (chemist) earlier and the automated voice told her that she was 159,000 in the queue :eek: Enough time to get a cuppa,I think..maybe even lunch..lol.

I have no medical/scientific qualifications therefore a little explanation would be greatly appreciated, Toni.
I think that the body produces red cell antibodies to fight infection and that donated blood with antibodies cannot be used for transfusion ........... is that correct ?
If 30% of dontated blood has antibodies then presumably a similar proportion of the general population is infected ......... is that correct ?

I can see how that will affect the number of people who die, but cannot grasp how that affects the death rate.
What am I failing to grasp, Toni.
Thanks for all your posts. Always welcome.

Although the place i go birding is remote and I rarely see anyone I won't be going for the time being - If i was to say fall and break my leg then need help it would not be fair to risk it then expect help .
so will stay at home from now on.

Rob.

So how come Boris gets tested ahead of frontline staff? Same BS excuse that he "meets the criteria?" if he's not in hospital with it, he doesn't.
If you think about the number of people, crucial to managing this crisis, that he might have been in contact with, a "negative" result, would have been important to let those people carry on working "normally".

Last edited:

Same reason as Prince Charles, Camilla and no doubt the Balmoral staff too, probably under a none-discloser agreement. That's tongue in cheek,of course. Oh yes, the RAF helicopter crew that took them there too. It doesn't really answer the general gist of your question. Maybe you will find the answer here https://www.theguardian.com/comment...h-famous-coronavirus-tests-covid-19-tom-hanks

Re Boris. Well, although I wrote 'same reason as Prince Charles', to be fair the person running the country, including key people around him, need to know. Same with a war situation. You don't want your key people taken out of the command chain. I'm not surprised to learn that he's got it because when I saw him on TV yesterday, maybe Wednesday his eyes were reddened and he looked very tired but I put it down to the current stress/workload. Perhaps the heir to the throne can be considered to be eligible using the same criteria. It just doesn't look good ,though.

I think that the body produces red cell antibodies to fight infection
Red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. White blood cells produce antibodies (and do various other things as well).

Maybe he paid for it.

The question of his entitlement was raised nationally and whilst a test can be paid for, if he'd done that then NHS Scotland's Chief Medical Officer, Catherine Calderwood, would not have had to make a statements saying that he met the clinical criteria .Had he paid then that would have been stated too. There is the issue though,that he had only mild symptons, I say 'only' relatively-speaking.

Re private testing I see that it can be done at the Private Harley Street Clinic for £375

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-clinic-offering-375-coronavirus-private-test

think it's reasonable as our head politico that he gets tested if he's showing symptoms. He might not meet the criteria as such but it's important for them to put in succession planning etc just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back