The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The closure of large events, schools, university etc is an obvious move, they are well known hubs for spreading germs whether virus or bacteria. By allowing them to stay open the virus will spread wider and quicker.
Where do you expect all these people from the closed schools and universities will be?
They certainly won't be at home self isolating, that's for sure.

Czech Republic, ban all visitors from fifteen affected countries and a raft of other measures.

We advise school trips abroad be cancelled.
Mr Johnson says some will lose loved ones a bit earlier than expected

Do you get the feeling the government isn't too bothered about it spreading.
Quite a financial bonus getting rid of all those drains on the NHS, got to fund HS2
Or have they realised its all a bit late so why mess the economy up more than it is already

I think the government scientific/medical officers explained yesterday that it was desirable to have a proportion of the population become infected in order to build up "herd immunity".
Ideally the population should be protected by vaccination, but that option is not available. If there is no herd immunity and no vaccine the disease will always return.
Just this minute heard (LBC News) a Gov. Scientist state that about 60% of the population would need to become infected to provide herd immunity.

What is not helping, is un-qualified idiots like Jeremy Hunt poking his nose in and discrediting the actions so far. Who would you believe, the governments CMO and CSO who have teams who know this stuff, or a guy who has no experience in this sort of thing???

Do the experts get it wrong - of course, are they wrong here, possibly, but I would rather take notice of them than I would someone who thinks they know what they are talking about!

Every cloud though - think I have been able to convince the wife that her parents should not pop over for a few weeks (70+) so thats a positive!!

Just been to the supermarket for a few bits, its like the end of the world is coming or a long Christmas break.

Spoke to the manager at a local store and takings are now higher than Christmas sales.
Estimated numbers are worrying but one positive is that Trump is in the higher risk group.

Spoke to the manager at a local store and takings are now higher than Christmas sales.
Estimated numbers are worrying but one positive is that Trump is in the higher risk group.
You stay classy.

At last Trump has achieved greatness — his speech from the Oval Office is now the most expensive in history! :)

It is clear that countries like Taiwan, South Korea, after the SARS outbreak, each of them set up their own system to combat any new potential outbreak.

When this happened they already had a plan in place, they had all the resources in place and it got rolled out and put into action immediately. Things like 92 drive through test centres across the country, negative pressure testing rooms, manufacturing of 10,000 test kits, the entire structure don’t just pop up the minute the had a hot spot in a city.

At the very start, when they only had single digit infection rate they already were doing as much as the UK now with double digit deaths.

The very fact that the numbers in S.Korea is going down, and ours are going up shows one is working, one is not. The argument that South Korea has more infected is an argument for the past. The virus doesn’t care about the past, it is the present and the future that is more important. The trajectory of the infection in this country is on the up. The trajectory of infection in South Korea is going down. For a virus that has an exponential growth curve for its infection, it takes some doing to mitigate it enough for it to go down so we really should take notice on why that is and perhaps implementing most if not all of their tactics.

This isn’t China we are talking about, this is another democratic society, and South Korea has not put in full lockdown like Italy. Surely there is more that we can do than “wash your hands”.

Where do you expect all these people from the closed schools and universities will be?
They certainly won't be at home self isolating, that's for sure.

I expect they'd follow the advice of social isolation, hand washing etc? No one is saying that closure of schools etc means self isolating so not sure what your point is?

Just had a interesting point arise ,my lads a restaurant manager just been called in early as a staff member has phoned in with a cough .. now if that person self isolates for a week as per the rules .. it wont be recorded anywhere as either suspected or confirmed ..... has someone brought in these new rules to muddy the waters or just a case of not working it out in advance .

plus i wonder how many low paid often living at home working teens are going to see this as a chance for a week off work

A lot of kids would need to be looked after by grandparents.....not ideal if they have health issues

I do find it odd how many people are saying this, it makes a huge assumption that
1. those with children are a one parent working family
or
2. those with children are a two parent working family and are both in jobs that one or the other cannot care for their children?

Im not saying there wont be people out there like that, but it's not likely to be a figure thats a majority?

Just had a interesting point arise ,my lads a restaurant manager just been called in early as a staff member has phoned in with a cough .. now if that person self isolates for a week as per the rules .. it wont be recorded anywhere as either suspected or confirmed ..... has someone brought in these new rules to muddy the waters or just a case of not working it out in advance .

plus i wonder how many low paid often living at home working teens are going to see this as a chance for a week off work

A lot of that demographic are likely on zero hours contracts so if they dont go wont be paid anyway. Whats worse is the ones that may well be ill and force themselves in anyway as they cannot afford not to be :-(

I expect they'd follow the advice of social isolation, hand washing etc? No one is saying that closure of schools etc means self isolating so not sure what your point is?

My missus works in education, some don't even wash their hands after going to the toilet.
Kids are already making plans where to meet their mates in the event of closure.

Some believe it only affects the old and they won't get it whatever, you need to get in the real world.
Also your assumption that one/two working parent families are a minority is likely wrong too.

Last edited:
It is clear that countries like Taiwan, South Korea, after the SARS outbreak, each of them set up their own system to combat any new potential outbreak.

When this happened they already had a plan in place, they had all the resources in place and it got rolled out and put into action immediately. Things like 92 drive through test centres across the country, negative pressure testing rooms, manufacturing of 10,000 test kits, the entire structure don’t just pop up the minute the had a hot spot in a city.

At the very start, when they only had single digit infection rate they already were doing as much as the UK now with double digit deaths.

The very fact that the numbers in S.Korea is going down, and ours are going up shows one is working, one is not. The argument that South Korea has more infected is an argument for the past. The virus doesn’t care about the past, it is the present and the future that is more important. The trajectory of the infection in this country is on the up. The trajectory of infection in South Korea is going down. For a virus that has an exponential growth curve for its infection, it takes some doing to mitigate it enough for it to go down so we really should take notice on why that is and perhaps implementing most if not all of their tactics.

This isn’t China we are talking about, this is another democratic society, and South Korea has not put in full lockdown like Italy. Surely there is more that we can do than “wash your hands”.
Whereas here in the UK, our limited testing capacity is rationed only to hospitalised patients, or direct contacts of confirmed cases. Symptoms alone won't get you tested (and travel history is no longer considered). A cluster of infections without a known link to a previous case can therefore continue to grow unrecorded until someone ends up in hospital. We may already have 20x the number of cases that have been confirmed by testing, so even in terms of absolute numbers we might not be as far behind South Korea as we imagine - they are looking a lot harder. Aggressive use of testing and contact tracing are also key factors in China's success in drastically reducing their daily case count nationwide, and may be more important than the draconian measures that have made the news.

I do find it odd how many people are saying this, it makes a huge assumption that
1. those with children are a one parent working family
or
2. those with children are a two parent working family and are both in jobs that one or the other cannot care for their children?

Im not saying there wont be people out there like that, but it's not likely to be a figure thats a majority?
Both parents work in over 70% of couples with children, though it's very common for one to be working part-time.

Just seen the news, the Everest climbing season has been called off because of virus fears...... there goes my chance to be on top of the world :)

My missus works in education, some don't even wash their hands after going to the toilet.

making my point about huge numbers of kids in schools are a breeding ground.

Kids are already making plans where to meet their mates in the event of closure.

Unless they are meeting in groups the same size as when they are at school then the risk of spread is still less than being at school then.

Some believe it only affects the old and they won't get it whatever, you need to get in the real world.
Also your assumption that one/two working parent families are a minority is likely wrong too.

Indeed, the biggest risk of the young is not that they will get it, but that they will be a route of cross contamination to those that are likely to suffer more.

As for your assumption about my assumption, well that's kind of a deadlock right there without any facts. But my point was toward the person I was replying to in that they too were making an assumption.

Whereas here in the UK, our limited testing capacity is rationed only to hospitalised patients, or direct contacts of confirmed cases. Symptoms alone won't get you tested (and travel history is no longer considered). A cluster of infections without a known link to a previous case can therefore continue to grow unrecorded until someone ends up in hospital. We may already have 20x the number of cases that have been confirmed by testing, so even in terms of absolute numbers we might not be as far behind South Korea as we imagine - they are looking a lot harder. Aggressive use of testing and contact tracing are also key factors in China's success in drastically reducing their daily case count nationwide, and may be more important than the draconian measures that have made the news.

South Korea has shown an alternative way to China's and is working.

We are trying to find a 3rd way but all roads leads to some form of social distancing, that much is clear.

Both parents work in over 70% of couples with children, though it's very common for one to be working part-time.
Yes, and are both in jobs that they cannot take time off or are unable to remote work? Im not saying that is or is not a given, Im just saying making an assumption that only grandparents can care for these children is a narrow view.

making my point about huge numbers of kids in schools are a breeding ground.

Unless they are meeting in groups the same size as when they are at school then the risk of spread is still less than being at school then.

Indeed, the biggest risk of the young is not that they will get it, but that they will be a route of cross contamination to those that are likely to suffer more.

As for your assumption about my assumption, well that's kind of a deadlock right there without any facts. But my point was toward the person I was replying to in that they too were making an assumption.

Can't you ever just put your hands up and admit you're wrong, full of b******t.

Lets get it straight

I expect they'd follow the advice of social isolation, hand washing etc?
No they won't and don't

Yes it is

You can spin the statistics and words around all you like, but you are wrong, end of.

Last edited:
South Korea has shown an alternative way to China's and is working.

We are trying to find a 3rd way but all roads leads to some form of social distancing, that much is clear.

I have heard a few people remark that there is no private testing available in the UK. I wonder why that is ?
Apart from individuals who would have a test done I would expect that some large companies would finance staff screening in order to
avoid large numbers of people being laid off just in case they were infected.

Can't you ever just put your hands up and admit you're wrong, full of b******t.

Lets get it straight

I expect they'd follow the advice of social isolation, hand washing etc?
No they won't and don't

Yes it is

You can spin the statistics and words around all you like, but you are wrong, end of.

Wow, not sure whats wrong with you?

You're very sure that all kids all over the country dont wash hands and wont wash hands? Whats that based on?

You say that there is a majority of families that that have no option but to have grandparents looking after the children. What's that based on?

You say Im wrong, what's that based on?

Other than your very angry opinion that is which Im not going to engage in as it does nothing for debate and is only detrimental to your blood pressure. So do please calm down.

I do appreciate that there are many good people trying to get the above traditions and practices stopped,including legal cruel and abhorrent 'sporting traditions' such as bullfighting...Spain,Portugal and SW France.

Looks like my plans to see a bullfight on May 1st or 2nd might not come to fruition.

Wow, not sure whats wrong with you?

You're very sure that all kids all over the country dont wash hands and wont wash hands? Whats that based on?

You say that there is a majority of families that that have no option but to have grandparents looking after the children. What's that based on?

You say Im wrong, what's that based on?

Other than your very angry opinion that is which Im not going to engage in as it does nothing for debate and is only detrimental to your blood pressure. So do please calm down.

Picking the wrong one to tell to calm down, my heart rate hardly ever increases even when dealing with morons like you.
My blood pressure is also extremely stable, some gift diagnosing over the internet, you really are a condescending prat

Here we go again, you said and I quote " those with children are a two parent working family and are both in jobs that one or the other cannot care for their children? "
Latest figure I could find was from 2018 at over 60%, majority even for the arithmetically challenged
Only empirical evidence I have regarding the school children is from my wife.
Safe to suggest that would be repeated in many schools or perhaps you know otherwise

One last little point to dent your ego
Its affected not effected when used in this context "its not about the fact they seem much less effected"
Oh look wrong again.

Please don't waste your time with a capitalised acronym, means absolutely nothing to me, just childish texting nonsense

Last edited:
You lot have been told twice by separate Mods.
Some people can't seem to take the hint.
Everyone can go cool off for a few hours...

After a staff meeting it has been decided that you should all
take this as a final warning. Any more aggression and there will be thread bans as a minimum

BTW Rich will be back tomorrow, hopefully with a better attitude ...

As you were and please PLAY NICE!

Just read that in Alicante from midnight they are closing all shows, bars, restaurants, cultural events, social events and sports centres till further notice.
Apparently the city centre is like a Sunday.
Decisive action indeed.

This is an NHS Youtube.

Warning. Some may find some of this footage of the animals in the market disturbing. It is. After the first video there are following ones about how it's being dealt with. I don't know how many continuous videos there are but as I type there's another about Wuhan.

This is how it all started .It's interesting to know thatg it's the elite that consume animal parts for 'traditional medicine'. If there's any light at the end of the tumnnel it's that most Chionese do not indulge ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

Ford China have just returned to work. But all non essential office staff at all Ford sites around the world have been instructed to work from home. Only those unable to carry out their work remotely and support staff are to continue to carry on working as normal until otherwise advised.
Car park will be nice and empty on Monday then, around 3k spaces for about 400 people.

Some big jump up to 798 this morning, I have been told by my mums doctor to stay in as she is now in hospital very poorly. Twiddling my fingers waiting for someone to get back to me.

That is an awful worry. Hope it turns out well.

Just read that in Alicante from midnight they are closing all shows, bars, restaurants, cultural events, social events and sports centres till further notice.
Apparently the city centre is like a Sunday.
Decisive action indeed.

State of emergency to be declared in Spain tomorrow.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51876784

If anyone went to a country and became infected how would they get home. What airline would accept an infected passenger that was not certified clear ?

I was going to do my normal food shop tomorrow, but I am not sure if there is anything left. It seems people are still panic buying. Someone just posted a photo of an Asda with bare shelves. All because of panic buying, over this virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back