THE WAY WE WERE.

This is me in the middle...

Wow, that first one is tough to date, everything looks kinda modern.
Those leather sandals are probably the only thing I can get a handle on, c'ept maybe Marc's bowl cut, but even that isn't the preserve of the 60's..:)

It's a great thread but can be sad at times....It often reminds me about being mortal when seeing very old shots of people esp children or hundreds of people in a street shot to think that they are all dead now. Maybe I should take up some religion to be happy for them.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more from the archives...

This image was taken at a professional studio in Wakefield and has the date of 17th Jan 1941 written on the back. It's of my mother-in-law and her mother.

img0191.jpg

Here's an image of Mrs. L aged around 10 yrs old...check out those trousers...almost as cool as my stripey shirt :D

img0181.jpg

Them old B&W ones are really a lot better that we give them credit for !

Not wishing to let this die.

alan001_zps077e3c30.jpg

alan001CS5_zps4b2aea67.jpg

Excellent, good bit of thread revival Richard, any of the above you?

Here's grandad Ernie in about 1925. Nearly lost a leg in 1917 and spent 18 months in and out of hospital having 40 operations and some radical new fangled surgery to re-attach all the broken bits. Whilst recuperating he taught himself the violin and played for the silent movies in the cinema to help pay for his classes in engineering. He ended up as the top training man at Rolls Royce in Crewe. He was also a true gent and an absolutely lovely man.

Grandad Ernie circa 1925 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And this was grannie Lena, from about the same time. Sadly she died before I was born.

Grannie Lena circa 1925 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

Yes Andy I am in the row of five, guess :)

Love your two wonderful Photo's

OK Scanned a few others

Snake.jpg

Again taken on the Island while on holiday at Robin Hill, Snakes have always had a thing for me and make an a line to me, that one wouldn't stay with anyone else and kept coming back to me.:) I have always loved snakes but can not have one as the wife hates them.

Looks like a royal python, I've got one of those :)

I'm the little one in the pink, being dunked in the birdbath by my uncle (L) and my dad (R). I probably deserved it. Taken on an Olympus XA, most likely.

Fak0Mt8.jpg

Ah that's a classy jumper :p

Agreed!.......oh boy I recall some hideous jumpers and tank tops knitted by my grandma back in the 70's ( bless her little cotton socks!)......I used to hate visiting cos I'd have no option but to wear them!!!!

I might have a pic knocking about .....if so I'll get it scanned and posted.

Agreed!.......oh boy I recall some hideous jumpers and tank tops knitted by my grandma back in the 70's ( bless her little cotton socks!)......I used to hate visiting cos I'd have no option but to wear them!!!!

I might have a pic knocking about .....if so I'll get it scanned and posted.

hhaha! I do like to jazz up a bit with a jumper like that, goes well with simple jeans and shoes.

My gran (the lady below with my grandad sometime in the early 1930's) was a champion knitter. I once stopped off on my way home from work to ask her if she would knit me a cricket jumper and the following morning she phoned my mum to tell her it was ready.

George and Doris by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

I don't know why I hang about with some of you common folk on here.:):)

Doesn't anyone know how to dress properly anymore!!:):)

Oh dear! by wickerman6, on Flickr

I don't know why I hang about with some of you common folk on here.:):)

Doesn't anyone know how to dress properly anymore!!:):)

Oh dear! by wickerman6, on Flickr

Bloody hell David, there should be a warning before that shot I've just spat pizza all over my laptop :LOL:

Well, if it's classy jumpers you're looking for... :)

meAt7.jpg

I was about 7 years old so probably sometime in 1977, yellow jumper courtesy of my mum, lost tooth probably due to a hang-gliding accident judging from that collar.

And the only other shot I've got on this computer, this one from about 10 years ago when I knew where the gym was :LOL:

meetingGaryMcCoy2002Sml.jpg

The wee chap on the left is Garry McCoy, a 500GP motorcycle rider famous for sliding his bike all the way around corners (video). The lady is his missus, the big guy in the middle was his mechanic and the skinny bloke I'm groping is Jason, who I used to work with.

We were on a bike holiday riding through the Pyrenees, heading north through Andorra where we'd stopped for the night. Having a beer in a bar and one of our group said, "hey, that bloke looks just like Garry McCoy" and before you know it, we're having a beer with him. Top bloke and his missus was absolutely lovely :D

Norters/Nick, you could pass for Gary Lineaker. :)

My brother in 1969;

1969_zpsa45851a6.jpg

(Just hoping he isn't on this forum...... )

Mark

That's more like it!

Clearly a chap with equally good taste and dress sense. :LOL:

The 10 ages of man, My avatar is C 1949.

Untitled-1_2_.jpg

Rhodese.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Lovely post, but were did C1948 come from? :)

The dining room sideboard, middle draw.;)

Here are a selection from the archive...

1972, shortly after my brother was born on holiday in Cornwall (with my Dad and Sister) :

8509939285_f3ee3c89fb_c.jpg

This was me, at about the same time, and my sis Kate (she was my 2nd Birthday present) ... those that watch BBC News may know her now: Kate Russell ... I love this picture!
8511058606_1d07f36a67_c.jpg

Me and my new bike a few years later in Crowthorne:
8511054072_66498b73b5_c.jpg

And now me, at Uni in Coventry in 1985:
8511062474_90fefebcf6_c.jpg

The last picture was taken by my PentaxME Super that I had saved up for with paper round money before going off to Uni.

Finally me last year at Cropredy, taken by my 11 year old daughter with my Nikon D5100 ... I've lost 3 stone since then but am seldom to be seen on the right side of the lens to be snapped!

8509986525_3c1fe94930.jpg

Great idea and keep em coming.

Last edited:
They're great shots Matt, the mullet was a great haircut, maybe it's time for a revival :LOL:

I love the colours in old photos, they had a pallet all of their own particularly stuff from Tudor Print :eek:

I used to do quite a lot of work for BBC News up at TVC but I think it was probably before Kate's time, I do usually try and catch Click if I'm up early enough on a Sunday :)

They're great shots Matt, the mullet was a great haircut, maybe it's time for a revival :LOL:

I love the colours in old photos, they had a pallet all of their own particularly stuff from Tudor Print :eek:

I used to do quite a lot of work for BBC News up at TVC but I think it was probably before Kate's time, I do usually try and catch Click if I'm up early enough on a Sunday :)

Cheers Nick ... I have been playing with plastic & pinhole lenses and PP in Gimp to try and get some of that "old skool" feel back ... a friend is giving me a pile of old film cameras at the weekend too so I may have to go and get myself some 35mm and 120 roll film and go back to basics!

Um.. some of mine.. Not sure wot's going on here..

Ali2 by Ali Lampard, on Flickr

First Development - Clean by Ali Lampard, on Flickr

That last one was taken by Nick on the very first roll that we processed and printed in his bathroom. A small, airless room - full of the smell of farts and fix. Ya could hallucinate after 30 mins..

Oh for **** sake!!!!!!!!!!!! surely you could have picked some better shots, oh no maybe you couldn't.

...and as proved by the T-shirt I'm wearing in the 3rd shot more than 25 years ago I was a Billy Bragg fan back then and as a man of habit that fears change I'm going to see him tomorrow night at the Lexington.

Last edited:
That second one's a cracker :LOL:

Alister and Nick,

Those shots just say everything that anyone would want to know about the 80,s, great selection, Nick you were a very nice teen, James deanesk (sic) what went wrong:D.

One benefit of unfortunate events is that they often yield surprising memories.

Birthday Bike-2
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

It's my birthday!

Last edited:
Happy birthday Nick. Love the new bike, looks like it might be a bit big for you though. :D

Happy birthday Nick. Love the new bike, looks like it might be a bit big for you though. :D

Indeed it was a bit big for me and just to put things in perspective it did only have 24" wheels.

Sorry Nick I thought it was a recent picture.:D

OK I will play, You have to promise that there will be no laughing:LOL:, Below is a pic of my 2 brothers and me. I am the baby in the middle.

Measalittleone.jpg

Right I said no laughing.:D Least I have an excuse to why I am pants at photography. I hasten to add that I had 2 ops not long after this to get the bos eyed look corrected, :)

Sorry, but I am actually sitting at my desk at work crying to myself.

Back