THE WAY WE WERE.

1963 and already drop dead gorgeous

Me-1963-snowy by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I believe '63 was a terrible winter but I think I probably enjoyed it.

Andy

Thanks Nick, you old smoothie......

Anyway, a couple of years later and those rugged good looks are started to appear.

Me2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

your mother didn't put the pudding bowl on straight when she cut your hair.........:exit:

your mother didn't put the pudding bowl on straight when she cut your hair.........:exit:

Oy, watchit, we couldn't afford a pudding bowl. :D

Andy

1963 and already drop dead gorgeous

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andysnapper1/6524834401/
Me-1963-snowy by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I believe '63 was a terrible winter but I think I probably enjoyed it.

Andy

No it was me that was the pretty boy :LOL: erm sorta went down hill from then.

grandad3years.jpg

No it was me that was the pretty boy :LOL: erm sorta went down hill from then.....

you think THAT hair was bad...:shrug:

here's my Father [yes - father] at 2yo

why did they do that to children....:shake:
cd2769a1.jpg

Me in 1973 with santa in the Co Op in Douglas, Isle of Man

oops photo didn't work.....i'll put it in my gallery. If someone wants to put it up on here then feel free

oops photo didn't work.....i'll put it in my gallery. If someone wants to put it up on here then feel free

751.jpg
[/IMG]

There you go Asha (y)

The thing is that when these were taken society didn't differentiate between boys and girls as much as we do now. Up until about 2 or 3 clothing was the same for both and it was easier to change a child in a skirt than one in trousers.

Andy

And so the years roll on and unbelievable I seem to be even more good looking.

1965 and my brother Ian arrives (younger yes, but not as handsome)

Family---Ian-baby-1965 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

Looks like you're about to be told off :LOL:

Probably, it happened a lot. Still does, went to mum and dad's for lunch today and got told off numerous times. :D

Andy

I was recently given some prints of me as a child. I've no idea what film or camera was used but as they were both taken by my father they would have been taken using a rangefinder that I think would have been something like an Oly Trip that he used up until the early '80s.

Me on my Mum's lap...
img0142.jpg

Me aged maybe 4 yrs old...
img0122.jpg

No apologies needed, it's about time this thread was resurrected.

Fantastic stuff!!

I think I may have to visit my loft to see what I can find.

Heather

Oh dear, does this mean i have to dig out all these boxes of prints? Great idea for a thread :)

A rollneck jumper and chubby chops do not go together! What were my parents thinking :LOL:

img0152.jpg

Here's a later one of me rocking the stripes and natural look with the hair :cool::LOL: Judging by the white balance, this was almost certainly a print from a freebee roll like Truprint etc. used to send out :thinking:

img0133.jpg

Liking the rollneck look, it's time it made a comeback :D

Liking the rollneck look, it's time it made a comeback :D

*cough*:D That's all I've got of me so far...my gran may have a few old school photos I can scan in but until then I've got a small suitcase full of prints of my wife and her family to go through and archive for her :)

Here's a couple of pics of people who knew how to dress...my wife's Great grandparents. We believe the pics would have taken around 1900-1905

img017.jpg

img0163.jpg

Y'know, I never really took too much notice of the pictures taken when I was younger, they didn't mean anything then.
It wasn't until I got photographers eye (nasty condition) and....older I suppose, that these photos began to become important.
I gotta say that the ***** I thought my dad had shot, with his plastic lens instamatic heap all those years ago, are in fact fabulous.

This is what cameras are for, isn't it ?

I gotta say that the ***** I thought my dad had shot, with his plastic lens instamatic heap all those years ago, are in fact fabulous.

This is what cameras are for, isn't it ?

(y) I cherish the photo's my family have taken over the years, in amongst all the crap there are some perfect moments.

Okay - an oldie from me - one of my Grandad and his Army mate, Mugging for the Camera in a local Photo Studio... They went there to get "Keepsake Photo's" to leave with their Sweethearts/Wives before going away to France...This was a extra shot, just for a laugh.

My grandad (the big one on the LH of frame) came back, his friend was not so lucky.

Grandad
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is me in the middle, my brother marc on the left and clive on the right, sadly both those two are now dead.
By the looks of it it would be around 1963 and definitely taken on a sunday, none of us would have been that clean on any other day.

Probably taken with a folding camera that allowed flash as I'm sure it was used for this shot.

ianmarkclive.jpg

This one is the four of us on and around dad's old NSU quickly moped, taken around 1967/8 I think, most likely camera then is one of the old ilford or kodak camera's with a fixed lens and pressed metal top and body.

meearly5.jpg

This is me circa 1976-77, rolling a cigarette in the garden, I know my youngest brother Andy took this shot and I'm pretty sure its a crop from the full frame, most likely camera is an old lubitel TLR as I remember him having one up until he got his first nikon when he started work a few years later.

ian70s1copy.jpg

Okay - an oldie from me - one of my Grandad and his Army mate, Mugging for the Camera in a local Photo Studio... They went there to get "Keepsake Photo's" to leave with their Sweethearts/Wives before going away to France...This was a extra shot, just for a laugh.
My grandad (the big one on the LH of frame) came back, his friend was not so lucky.

So you do not take after your Grandad, he looks like a middle weight? :D

So you do not take after your Grandad, he looks like a middle weight? :D

Actually, I do, In that he was 6'1" tall and around 14.5 stone in that shot - which co-incidentally was my fighting weight at around 18 - though I did bulk up a bit subsequently :LOL:

edit: as did he, a little

IMG_0016 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Grandad Joe by The Big Yin, on Flickr
(just love my Auntie Sheila poking her head through the curtains as the shot's being taken... she's in her early 70's now :LOL:)

Actually, I do, In that he was 6'1" tall and around 14.5 stone in that shot - which co-incidentally was my fighting weight at around 18 - though I did bulk up a bit subsequently :LOL:

Great reply,if a little difficult to believe.:clap::LOL::D

My Mum and Dad, Dad died in 1952 and Mum passed in February.

Mums0054.jpg

Mums0049.jpg

Mums0009Print-1.jpg

Last edited:
The first one reminds me of a shot of my dad in uniform on his Triumph. Will have to ask the family to see if I can have a copy. Thanks for sharing Richard.

Hmmm. The very first picture taken with my brand new Werra 1 21st birthday present in 1967! Why I let a mate take the first shot on my lovely new camera, I don't know! Kodak Plus X scanned on a Plustek 7500i. And yes, that's what university students wore in those days. But there's something odd on the top of my head...

CB67A01A.jpg

The next two scanned from ancient prints. My parents in India, where they met. You can see where I get my hairline from. (n)

Elma and Charles.jpg.jpg

Maternal grandfather, went from enlisted man to Major in the Indian Army; fought in the 3rd Anglo-Afghan War (not a great success, I gather), and was the Indian Army tent-pegging champion for a while (basically you ride full tilt on horseback, and pick a wooden tent-peg out of the ground by stabbing it with your lance!). Sadly I don't have any shots of that.

Pop 2.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
ChrisR,

I love the mohican in the second that is way before it,s time.

Some great stuff to see and read about here guy`s :clap: Going to have to go digging now :D

On a serious note, does it not just go to show that whilst the quality of the shots are not up to todays standards in a lot of ways, that the moment in time captured does what it was intended to do, give us treasured memories.

Last edited:
Back