Thomas Heaton

I watch a number of Vloggers on YouTube and the camera that they use is not that important to me, its the images and thought processes that interest me.

You have Thomas Heaton with Canon, Nigel Danson with Nikon/Fuji., Julian Baird with Nikon, Nigel Cooke with Fuji and Simon Baxter with Sony and the list goes on.

By the time the image has ben processed any characteristics from the camera used will be long gone.

Take it however you like.

I probably speak for the majority on here that are probably a little irritated that they cannot discuss something they enjoy without being labelled with childish terms. I don't honestly have the faintest idea what brings people like you to threads like this. Why don't you use your energy on something you do actually enjoy?

QED.

Yeah, I got that one as well, when I queried the whole Thomas Heaton scene. It comes across almost as hero worship here.

And before I get slammed again, I'll add that I've watched some of his videos and he comes across as a decent guy who takes fine photographs......

Oh, so you're not insulting Thomas Heaton, good to know. But you are insulting anyone that likes his vids?

Great reply :eek:

I do watch him but also Simon Baxter and Nigel Danson but of the 3 I find TH the easiest to watch, he has the best balance between how he plans, his setups, his reasoning for a shot etc. I've subscribed to others on Youtube over the last couple of years too such as Mads Peter Iverson and Brendan van Son but they werent for me, then theres Peter McKinnon, there's a lot of his vids i dont like at all, but occasionally theres one I have to watch. Very interesting personality too.

Thanks though to @huffy I've just subscribed to Julian Baird and Nigel Cooke so maybe TH has some competition on the "hero worship" front :confused::confused:

I think you have misunderstood what the phrase 'hero worship' means to come to a conclusion that anyone here would could be described has having 'hero wordhipped' Thomas Heaton.:rolleyes:
hero worship
noun
noun: hero worship
  1. 1.
    excessive admiration for someone.
    "the music press, with its bias towards hero worship"
    • (in ancient Greece) the worship of superhuman heroes.
verb
verb: hero-worship; 3rd person present: hero-worships; past tense: hero-worshipped; past participle: hero-worshipped; gerund or present participle: hero-worshipping; past tense: hero-worshiped; past participle: hero-worshiped; gerund or present participle: hero-worshiping
admire (someone) excessively.
"I used to hero-worship the guy"
I think people have said they like his videos and his photography, but I don't think anyone has been excessive in any way about him. :thinking: You're welcome to your own opinion of course, no matter how deluded I think you are. ;) :LOL:

I originally thought that fan boy was a good way of describing some of the recent contributors to this thread. Perhaps i should have kept it like that.

But having thought it through it looks to me like this -

Some people identify so strongly with TH that any criticism of him (real or imagined) is seen as a criticism of themselves, and they then react accordingly.

See Post no 508 as an example........

C'mon- he takes decent pictures and his video's are insightful but fun to watch. What in Christs name is not to like about what he does? Sure, others might take better pictures or make more interesting video's but the thread is about TH, not about others.

I originally thought that fan boy was a good way of describing some of the recent contributors to this thread. Perhaps i should have kept it like that.

Some people identify so strongly with TH that any criticism of him (real or imagined) is seen as a criticism of themselves, and they then react accordingly.

Thats your interpretation of any criticism of him.
I don't see it that way. TH is not here to respond to the critics, so others stick up for him in his absence. Doesn't mean they see criticism of TH as criticism of themselves.
I like his YouTube stuff. I'm not a subscriber, and certainly not a fanboy, but I think some of the negative comments on here are unjustified, but hey ho, it's a free country and everyone's entitled to an opinion.
Just don't get annoyed when you post criticism on a thread where most contributors are fans, and you get negative remarks.
I dont understand why you are continuing to post on the thread unless you're just trying to wind folk up.

Last edited:

So now you're saying anyone that watches him and likes him is a "fan boy" but also identifies with him strongly and that's why people disagree with you?

Yeah, sure............Let's say that, it's easier than what I want to say as it would likely get me a ban FFS :confused::confused:

Haha! There’s always a tub of the brown stuff to stir. You do it so well. Well done. *adds emoticon* ;)

TBH the only important comment *IMO* I've read that wasn't positive about his work was relating the the lack of artistic content in it, but that was in a different thread entirely.

In my defence i would say that almost all the critical comments directed at TH have come from other people - not me. I specifically said that he seems a decent guy and that he takes fine photographs.

My point was that ...... oh.....hell......it's not even worth it..........

I subscribe to several tog channels including TH's one.

Photography is something that is a hobby - I don't get enough time to enjoy it. I'm not a member of a club. The hobby for me is a very solitary thing.

The channels replace some of the void in not interacting with other participants in the hobby. It may sound a bit grim - but watching TH suffer in the bad weather or lose a shot for some reason is actually uplifting on a 'not just me' basis. And his taste in shots and locations is not the same as mine - but the point is they don't have to be - and I quite like seeing stuff and listening to opinions that are different from what I would do or think.

His channel is successful - because in production terms he is disciplined, professional, and presents himself reasonably with some gentle self effacing humour.

He's doing something he enjoys for a job, wish I could.
He also clearly understands how to market himself using social media to maximize his business potential.
If his quality of work is better/worse than others it's all down to the person viewing it I think, we're all individuals and have individual taste. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.
I like it when he explains his thought process behind a photo or lack of sometimes when he decides the scene isn't working for him. It's nice to know you don't have to come home with a memory card rammed full of images for it to be a successful trip out too.
What camera he uses is of little interest to me. I'd rather feel encouraged to use what I have than feel I need to change it to take the "best' pictures.

If he knows, wonder what he thinks about this thread! I haven't watched his videos for a year or 2. He seems a really nice bloke and is definitely very good at what he does. He doesn't obsess over the latest gear... and doesn't wear hats indoors.

I'm sure that if he read this thread he would be able to deal with any mud that is thrown at him. He must realise that what he does isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he will be confident enough about his abilities and business model to shrug off the critics.

He has, in the past, mentioned detractors in one of his videos - he actually thought it was amusing and said that he really isn't bothered by it at all as it won't affect him or the way he does his business.

I have to admit, I didn't like him for a long time, thought he was a bit obnoxious - mostly because I wasn't actually watching his full videos, they would come up as recommendations and I'd have a quick peek, then go 'meh, try hard' ... only recently someone suggested I check him out and I've watched a few of his vids now and he's alright, seems sound enough and I like that he's not trying to be a gear snob, I like his thought process too, similar to my own when I head out for a shoot.

You have to remember that just because someone has a large social media following it doesn't mean that what they are doing is actually cracked up to be the same thing. Greg Whitton doesn't have the same following on YouTube but I think that Greg produces far superior images to what TH does. Is that right and proper? There are also many other people out there who are complete unknowns and again they are producing high quality work that puts TH's to shame. I had a gentleman on a workshop earlier this year who was a hill walker and opportunist photographer as he called himself. No social media presence. Doesn't sell his work etc BUT what he showed blew away TH. Yes, TH does some nice work BUT is it really that defining?

I missed this post and don't want to start this argument, nor get involved again, nor compare quality of imagery (all very subjective), but thanks for the shout out there Julian. Appreciated :)

I missed this post and don't want to start this argument, nor get involved again, nor compare quality of imagery (all very subjective), but thanks for the shout out there Julian. Appreciated :)

No worries Greg! I nearly picked up the phone and asked if you were around. Was just in the UK and was wondering if you had been interested in doing a collaboration.

No worries Greg! I nearly picked up the phone and asked if you were around. Was just in the UK and was wondering if you had been interested in doing a collaboration.

Hey Julian, thanks, not sure I would had time, November was ultra busy with workshops and pre-arranged trips. Also had a few other folks ask to do collabs, but again, just not had the chance. Possibly in the future :)

One useful thing to come out of the last couple of pages of this thread, @gregww1 you have a new follower in me, excellent videos :)

Woop! I'm slowly chipping away at that canyon between me and Tom...oh wait, what? He's added 80K subscribers in the time it took me to get to 1K...maybe not then, lol :ROFLMAO::D

Hey Julian, thanks, not sure I would had time, November was ultra busy with workshops and pre-arranged trips. Also had a few other folks ask to do collabs, but again, just not had the chance. Possibly in the future :)

Woop! I'm slowly chipping away at that canyon between me and Tom...oh wait, what? He's added 80K subscribers in the time it took me to get to 1K...maybe not then, lol :ROFLMAO::D

Well I'm in the UK at least once next year but I'm busy. I'm sure though it could be done somewhere :)

Not read the whole thread, maybe it's been mentioned but after announcing his disappointment with the EOS R, a D850 turns up in one of his latest vids.

I like him, been following him for a few years now, he takes very decent images, better than mine.

After using the EOS R recently, and being disappointed, he said that he would be trying a number of systems over the next few months as he considers whether to upgrade his camera or not. Although he hasn't said what cameras he would be trying out, it seems the Nikon D850 is one he has shown himself using so far. I#m interested to see what else he tries, and the conclusion he comes to, as to whether he changes or stays with what he has already got.

Personally, I think he'll go 'Blad, or possibly Fuji GFX, either way, my money is on medium format.

Whilst the 5Div is still a very capable camera (I love mine), the D850 by all accounts is an advancement on the 5D. I was tempted myself but too heaily invested in Canon glass and I really do love my 5D, the more I get to know it. I think this is why Thomas gave the D850 a try.

Back