Thomas Heaton

It's all b****x. A silly argument. Just the normal disnigenuous "you tube" click - bait game. I guess it will get bit of attention for a few days from the punters....

It's kind of sad the way we live.
Seemed to me like a long term Canon user who had been waiting awhile for an improvement on what he had been using, and now that he is mainly doing Landscapes, as he said in the video, he has been looking for something new. And after using the EOS R, and finding little impelling reason for him to buy, as he felt it no improvement over the 5DIV he already uses has prompted him to look at other options.

So he said he would be trying other options over the next few months. He didn't even mention the D850 he was using in his latest video, (though he did highlight he was using Nikon at the start of the video) which I think someone going after clicks would be doing with every camera they would be trying.

I like his videos, he seems a good chap, so I take his actions and motives as genuine.

If he ends up changing I think it may be between the Fuji GFX 50R/S, Nikon D850 or the Sony a7RIII. :thinking: He may hold on with Canon a bit longer in the hope of the hi res and overall sensor improvement, time will tell. ;)

See what gets me is that there is nothing wrong with his current 5D4. Nothing at all.

My only guess is that he wants high megapixel and possibly Medium format.

So his only real option in that case would be Fuji or perhaps the Hassy X1D. Which are both in the 50mp range.

However if it's a just a MP thing why not go 5DS and keep his current lenses.

My guess, Fuji GFX50R.

See what gets me is that there is nothing wrong with his current 5D4. Nothing at all.

My only guess is that he wants high megapixel and possibly Medium format.

So his only real option in that case would be Fuji or perhaps the Hassy X1D. Which are both in the 50mp range.

However if it's a just a MP thing why not go 5DS and keep his current lenses.

My guess, Fuji GFX50R.
As with anyone considering a change of camera, and possibly a change of system, there may be multiple reasons to decide to potentially change. Only the individual will know what their reasons are, and like yourself, I was only speculating with regards to resolution as possibly one reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing which cameras Thomas Heaton will consider, and what, if anything, he ends up with at the end of it. :)

The grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Agreed. I moved away from Canon after the 1100D being my first camera and upgrading through the tanks to the 5D3. Purely because it was too much kit for me and too heavy for hill walking and I seen that they were in the Apple eco-system business model which I hate. Canon will never produce anything substantial even though they could. They make small increments because the name carries them and it helps them to keep getting money out of people every year.

I honestly cannot fathom why people are so interested in this. I’ve always thought that one of the nicer aspects about TH’s channel is that it’s largely ignored gear. And when TH has talked about gear it’s normally in reference to travel kit or 5x4. The comments on the video itself are ridiculous! Who cares what he uses?!

On the subject of photography vlogs, I still enjoy THs videos but find them a bit over produced nowadays. Long intros of drone shot and walking past a camera pretending its not there. The fact hes in an exotic location every week makes it a bit less real to the normal photographer. A lot of the Vlogs I have watched for a while have all gone down the same route. Started as one guy or girl out with a camera in the Uk to now mini cinema films all over the world. I still enjoy watching them though.

One Vlog i have discovered recently is a guy called Alwyn Wallace. Hes an astro photographher who takes some amazing milky way shots. His vlogs arent full of drone slow mos and pretent walking past a camera. Check it out if your into night photography.

I like TH - he comes across as a genuine, professional guy. His videos are good, although they do tend to follow a 'classic' formula (walking, intro, more walking, drone footage, walking, couple of photos) - it seems to be a tried and tested layout which is *maybe* getting a little stale these days, but never the less a 'decent watch'. He has never really pushed his camera/gear - it is all about the end product which is why I found it interesting that he is suddenly looking to change from his Canon (which, as stated above, is perfectly fine). I reckon he is chasing more megapixels and will end up with a Hasselblad or is holding out for a deal with Canon if their 75mp unit is to materialise.

[QUOTE="benhben, post: 8324663, member: 49644]One Vlog i have discovered recently is a guy called Alwyn Wallace. Hes an astro photographher who takes some amazing milky way shots. His vlogs arent full of drone slow mos and pretent walking past a camera. Check it out if your into night photography.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the that, I didn’t realise he had a vlog. Excellent photographer and video production.

Exactly. What’s the alternative? Pretend he doesn’t exist and never utter his name?
V......V.....V.....Vol.....Voldemort?

I dunno why people get so precious about "free advertising" or other ideas that you should always be paid for providing a service to others. Word of mouth is how I find out about many that I follow, Heaton included!

V......V.....V.....Vol.....Voldemort?

I dunno why people get so precious about "free advertising" or other ideas that you should always be paid for providing a service to others. Word of mouth is how I find out about many that I follow, Heaton included!
Wasnt it you who won the "lost" hat in the "new subscribers lottery last month? :LOL::exit:

What I can't understand is - despite him appearing a decent bloke from what I've seen - why so many people on here give him so much free publicity....:thinking:

That just sounds like sour grapes.
I don't see any "free publicity" here. It's called a discussion.

I am fascinated by this thread. It kind of shows people will get agitated about absolutely anything but yet I can't stop watching it. I'm not proud of that though :D

I think what I like most about his videos, is the the way he talks through the image and explains his thought process and his vision for the final image. It gives a great insight into composition etc rather than the usual tech chat that you get on other channels. His latest video in the Peak District goes a long way to show his dedication to the art. I mean driving 4 hours (round trip) to get 3 images

He has to be careful here, he risks alienating a large portion of his audience simply by switching to MF. I'd also question the motive. For the type of photographer TH is, MF will bring no demonstrable improvement to his game. He'd be far better off investing his money in different types of Glass for his Canon 5D4 and getting a bit more experimental.

He has to be careful here, he risks alienating a large portion of his audience simply by switching to MF. I'd also question the motive. For the type of photographer TH is, MF will bring no demonstrable improvement to his game. He'd be far better off investing his money in different types of Glass for his Canon 5D4 and getting a bit more experimental.
Alienating, really? You (or anyone for that matter that would make up this 'large portion') care that much about which camera he uses?

I have to agree with Ian on this. His videos very rarely talk about the tech, they tend to focus more on the creative thinking and general photographic details ie, aperture and shutter speed rather than what camera he is using. The closest he gets to equipment is focal lengths. Personally I don’t care what he camera he uses it’s about the process.

I think his latest discussions about changing is more about GAS than anything else, after all would switching to a d850 really make that much difference to his images. (please let’s not make this a CaNikon debate). I can see the merit in moving to mirrorless to reduce weight and bulk or to MF but not to another DSLR

This forum is full of people changing and switching left right and centre for no obvious reason other than the want to.
Why should it be a problem all of a sudden because Thomas fancies a change?
Why should that alienate anyone?
I dont use a DSLR but I watch and enjoy his videos.so what if he fancies medium format. I'll keep watching, because I like him and I enjoy the content.

Last edited:
Alienating, really? You (or anyone for that matter that would make up this 'large portion') care that much about which camera he uses?

Mate, i couldn’t give a flying monkey’s what he uses. Period.

This forum is full of people changing and switching left right and centre for no obvious reason other than the want to.
Why should it be a problem all of a sudden because Thomas fancies a change?
Why should that alienate anyone?
I dont use a DSLR but I watch and enjoy his videos.so what if he fancies medium format. I'll keep watching, because I like him and I enjoy the content.

Aspiration of his followers. FF and Crop are not far removed from each other, in technology or cost. Many, many of his followers shoot with £500 DSLR’s. What he does, they can do, if they apply themselves. He moves to MF and suddenly the perception is that unless they themselves spend thousands also buying into MF, they won’t achieve similar results (little known fact: it doesn’t matter what camera you use, it’s the person behind it...but hey-ho). If he’s not using the same technology as them, they could easily switch off.

Doesn’t bother me what he shoots with, each to their own. Do what makes you happy. My comment is purely about the potential effect on his audience

Aspiration of his followers. FF and Crop are not far removed from each other, in technology or cost. Many, many of his followers shoot with £500 DSLR’s. What he does, they can do, if they apply themselves. He moves to MF and suddenly the perception is that unless they themselves spend thousands also buying into MF, they won’t achieve similar results (little known fact: it doesn’t matter what camera you use, it’s the person behind it...but hey-ho). If he’s not using the same technology as them, they could easily switch off.

Doesn’t bother me what he shoots with, each to their own. Do what makes you happy. My comment is purely about the potential effect on his audience

I get what you're saying about potential effect on the audience, but I'm not sure if I agree. Thomas Heaton shares a similar audience to Ben Horne, even though Ben uses large format film cameras which are even less accessible than MF. I think the thing that appeals from both these guys is their slow, deliberate craftmanship which hopefully people will appreciate regardless of what he uses.

I agree that as the channel has grown he's going to more exotic places which I'm less interested in, I feel like that will have more effect on his audience than anything else.

We shall see :)

Speaking generally, I don't see what the advantage would be of switching to MF. One of the big advantages that digital has brought us is the democratisation of the medium of photography. In the film days 35mm really did have limited performance purely because of the size of the frame of film. If you wanted or needed to go beyond that your only possibility was MF. Then you were into large, heavy lumps of metal with large heavy lumps of glass attached and a very limited range of them at that. Digital has brought us a whole range of possibilities from cheap and cheerful entry level bodies to super high performance technical marvels in bodies that are well within the abilities of the average Joe/Jo to carry around, and the lenses that fit them are remarkable.

I havent seen any comparison tests but my guess would be that the image quality available from of a top of the range dslr would be pretty close to MF format film, if not better. I guess MF digital would be better again but how much better than a Nikon d850, for example? And who would need it?

How that relates to TH is another matter. Does he just need something to talk about?

guess MF digital would be better again but how much better than a Nikon d850, for example? And who would need it?

How that relates to TH is another matter. Does he just need something to talk about?

Better colour rendition, more dynamic range, plus the obvious (a bigger file for big big prints and commercial use) which is kinda a biggie in the landscape/travel photography industry. Full frame cameras are fine for like 99% of the job, but there is always that 1% and money no object I would shoot MF digital tomorrow.

MF digital I imagine is as big, if not a bigger leap from full frame is from APSC digital.

Better colour rendition, more dynamic range, plus the obvious (a bigger file for big big prints and commercial use) which is kinda a biggie in the landscape/travel photography industry. Full frame cameras are fine for like 99% of the job, but there is always that 1% and money no object I would shoot MF digital tomorrow.

MF digital I imagine is as big, if not a bigger leap from full frame is from APSC digital.

I can imagine only a very few of the biggest of big name landscape/travel photographers would ever need it. it would be nteresting to read some more informed opinions than mine though. Perhaps I'll do some research.

i don't know how often TH posts his vlogs but I do a blog and I can rarely think of anything to write about more than once a fortnight - if that now. Maybe I should consider moving up to MF. And then decide not to.....;)

I can imagine only a very few of the biggest of big name landscape/travel photographers would ever need it. it would be nteresting to read some more informed opinions than mine though. Perhaps I'll do some research.

i don't know how often TH posts his vlogs but I do a blog and I can rarely think of anything to write about more than once a fortnight - if that now. Maybe I should consider moving up to MF. And then decide not to.....;)

I cannot even do one a fortnight. I am more like four to six a year.

Are you sure about that DR statement? Sony and Nikon FF have greater Dynamic ranges to the Fuji. ISO performance is nearly on a par. The only reason to go MF for a landscaper is DoF, and considering Thomas mainly shoots at f/11, I can't see the advantage. Colours? Probably important in the studio, not so much in the landscape.

As for what is big in the landscape/travel photography industry...it's not file size that is the biggie, it's cost. If it was so important, many professional photographers would be jet-setting the globe on huge commissions...but reality is, these days, most companies prefer to pay virtually nothing for something that resembles what you see on Instagram.

Given what TH does, the Fuji, albeit smaller than the 5DIV (just), has much larger, more expensive, lenses. It's just physics. He gains nothing by going MF and will feel it in both his pocket and on his back...especially when trekking in the Himalaya as he plans to.

Now going to go and stick forks in my eyes for getting involved in another pointless gear discussion :ROFLMAO:

I couldnt care less bout the camera choice of Thomas Heaton, Ben Horne, Steve O'nions, Steve Mccurry or anybody else. Whats important is whats going on in the soft matter a few " behind the finder not the size or MP of the sensor or writing on the front. Can the guy in the video inspire or teach me, show me some great images and intertain me with great footage and content Im happy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back