Tillys 52 for 2017 Week 52 Weather

Hi Tilz, I like the orange on the green, but the drunk line of the blind spoils the image somewhat. Would have been better to have a higher view point and to have lost the blind and thus just had the two colours....

Juicy
Orange on green is a good combination, I agree with @d00d a bit of juice would have added that juicy feeling.

Thanks for the comments guys

Week 49 Broad
I shot 2 for this as I couldn't decide which I liked most and both were shot in my house so didn't take much effort. I have a broad range of distortion and a broad selection of colours
Broad 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Broad 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

No 2 for me too Tilly. Bang on for the theme and a nice angle; could have cropped a little lower perhaps.:)

I like the second one which is called Broad 1 :) ... broad colour range, clean, tidy, symmetrical .. but a slightly closer crop wouldn't hurt.

Hi Tilly, I like the second image for Broad with the bright colours. The first one looks a little bit wonky but in the second one the pens are arranged perfectly.

Of your other recent images, I do like Remote, with the obscured view of the cottage that looks vaguely mysterious, and the crane is a good spot for Height, especially against the blue sky.

Hi Tilz,
Loving the concept of #1, I was thinking of 'a big sound', but #2 is the better shot technically I believe.
Due to the framing and use of perspective it feels more of a set up shot than the pedals which almost feel like a snapshot (though I'm sure they aren't).

Thanks for the comments guys

Week 50 Rustic
This is a shot of the house next to mine, it used to be a pub and the old coach house a long long time ago
Rustic by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Broad - I really like the originality of #1, it's always interesting to see what people make of a theme.

Rustic is a good subject with an interesting back story, you have captured the details well and avoided blank looking windows.

That could work for Festive as well as Rustic (or are you going back after dark for Festive).
Nice old building. You wouldn't know it had been a pub or coach house from this view, though the ornate chimney stack looks over the top for a row of terraced housing, which hints that everything isn't (or wasn't) as it seems.

Very good shot for rustic looks like it could do with a lick of paint

I think you've captured the sense of a property that's seen better days really well.:) Those brown window frames and the flat light just add to downbeat atmosphere. I hope the Christmas lights rescue it in the evenings:)

Thanks for the comments guys I do like this shot myself. It's the first shot I've taken with my new Yongnuo 50mm prime lens and I'm impressed with the outcome for a budget lens. I enjoyed the new challenge of using a prime lens too and look forward to using it again. I would have liked to get more of the house in on the left side of the shot but there are lamp posts and signs on the corner of the road which would have spoilt the final image. I also cropped out the next house to the right (my house) as it's twice the height so looked odd on the edge of the shot.
Thanks again for the comments guys

You've brought out some nice detail in the Rustic old property. (y)

Rustic
Looks pretty rustic to me. That 50mm seems to look like a good buy.

Rustic
Looks pretty rustic to me. That 50mm seems to look like a good buy.
I'd read and watched varying reviews of the lens. Some said the auto focus was really loud and the image sharpness wasn't that good at a wide aperture but in opinion the sharpness is fine and although it is louder than my canon 18-55mm STM lens it's not loud enough to be annoying. At £39 I couldn't be happier

Last edited:
Week 51 Festive
Nothing too special or different here, I was more playing with my Yongnuo 50mm
Festive by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Week 52 Weather
Went to Morecambe again today so my kids could practice riding there new bikes and the weather was lovely
Weather by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Thanks for the comment Dave, I really like the shot. Thanks for pointing out the tyre in the bottom corner of not noticed it due to posting it a quickly before heading to the pub with a friend. I'll have a look at cloning it out or crop it out. Whichever looks best really. Either way I think I'll get a printed version of this :)

Apologises tilz I don't get out much so feel I've totally missed your project however great work reaching the end. The sky caught my eye (though on phone so small) I might suggest cropping up to the stones and making the whole scene feel wider than perhaps it was. (Y)

Thanks for the suggestion on cropping Frank I'll have a look at it over the weekend and see how it turns out

Good Morecambe bay shot for weather, nice clouds and blue sky.

Hi Tilly
Festive - the idea is fine, but the bauble is OOF, poss down to a low shutter speed.
Wetaher - is a nice panorama....

Hi Tilly,
Weather - I wouldn't crop the stones out, I feel they give the foreground interest. Very nicely captured, you've managed a good range between the lights and darks and the clouds coming in from the left give the sky interest.
Festive - Yongnuo 50mm eh? I was pondering their 35mm but wasn't sure.
The bauble isn't in focus. I can see you were using AI Focus, but the shutter speed is slow. Is it not focusing? Or is it motion blur.

Hey Tim, the lens focuses fine it was probably motion blur. I had a couple of other shots where the bauble was in better focus but I didn't like how the lights looked so had to make do.

Good work (y) I really like Weather. I would leave the stones but just crop that little bit FG of them.

Thanks for the comment David, that's what I was thinking about doing. I'll post it after I've cropped it to see what you all think

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - gritty rustic shot. Good detail.

Wk 51 - Festive - as others have said probably motion blur rather than missed focus, more and more for available light shots I am using a monopod or tripod (perhaps it is my age or the whisky)
Wk 52 - Weather - Sun in Morecambe? I know it does happen. Lovely blue and just enough cloud with clear hills in the distance.

Back