weekly Tillys 52 for 2018 Week 29 Round

Thanks Chris. It doesn't show numbers on the dial so who knows :). I turned it up to 50% once and that was a little too loud for in the house. It made the door in my room vibrate

Loving this - Very clever take and very clever use of depth of field

I tried to get the same shot on my Canon AE-1 Program I've just started shooting with. It'll be interesting to see how that looks when I finish the roll of film and get it processed

Good take on the over theme (y) and the bokeh is rather nice, how are you finding that Yongnuo 50mm ????

Thanks for the comments guys. I really like the Yongnuo 50mm Paul, for the price I can't believe the images it can produce. The autofocus is a bit noisy and I had to switch it to manual focus for this one as I was really close to the amp and the autofocus kept missing it. I tested the Canon 50mm in Jessops to see how good it was before deciding which to get and watched loads of videos about the Yongnuo on YouTube before making a decision and I'm glad I went with the Yongnuo. It's one of my favourite lenses out of the ones I own. I really like the bokeh from this lens too

Last edited:
The only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud (Lemmy Kilmister)
Yongnuo 50mm eh? I wondered about that before I got my canon 50. It looks like you're happy with it and you've produced decent images with it.

For the difference in price and the images I've taken Tim I'm glad I didn't spend a lot more money on the Canon 50mm. The Canon lens is a bit less plasticy than the Yongnuo lens but I'd expected this due to the price difference. I like the images I've taken with it and I'm a member of three Yongnuo 50mm group on Flickr on there are some cracking shot on there

I like it Tilly. The text is well picked out and isolated, and the DoF / reflections work well too.

Tillz, I love it....easily your best submission on the 52 to date....I like the momo, and I adore the focal point...muso types may slightly miss this, but I think its fabulous....and probaly my pick of this weeks theme....

Thanks a lot Mark I really appreciate the comments. I've been taking photos since I was a child and this has to be one of my favourites. There's something about it I just love and it came out just how I wanted it to. I think this shot may have lead me to a type of photography I love and what to do more of

Stark - I can only agree with everyone elses comments about the cloning, but it is a very interesting shaped tree, box ticked and a image to improve on.

Over - you have the same amp is me, works for me as i get the connection to the theme " over " drive, and having the focus on the drive dial emphasis the point and the b&w makes the image work very well, good work.

Good use of DoF and right on theme!

As a guitarist I certainly appreciated the overdrive connection - great depth of field and lighting.

Week 5 Aged
Nothing too fancy this week as I've been a bit under the weather. Bought this bottle at the distillery in Dublin when I went years ago so its "aged" a bit more since going into the bottle
Oak Aged by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

I was going to go for a bottle of Whisky and Red Wine, but could not find an "aged" or date label on either so I did'nt bother.

Good record shot, nice colour to background which suits the label and the box.

Pete

Special Reserve says aged, and a very nice dram it is too!

I'm not so keen on the BG, would much rather see some bokehed lights or just something way OOF.

Time to crack that bottle open eh! Good take on theme

I'm no whiskey connoisseur so I have to take your word for it :) not too keen on the background or the composition though...

Nice whiskey :)
I have to agree with not being too keen on the choice of background, and the two red dots about the box are a little distracting ... but, given that you aren't feeling too great, well done for keeping up with things.

Like that Craig - perfect fr theme and very nice bokeh to help it along

You have got the depth of field just right. There is only one thing missing from the picture of the mudguard and that is...mud. A back tyre covered in mud would have just put the finishing touches to it IMHO. Good shot nevertheless.

ShinysideUp likes it muddy, who would that known that till now, and he is correct, it would be better with some mud about.

Re the DOF, the lever on the right hand side does not fit in with the rest of the Image maybe it would have been better to angle the bike more so it was more in focus or out of the frame. If you crop it out now you will lose the front of the mudguard.

Ptete

Thanks for the comments guys. I'd tried to get the quick release lever of the bike so it wasn't in shot but it was really stiff. I looked at shooting from the other side but the brake cable caused the same problem. I took a couple of shots from more square on but I didn't like how they looked that's why I went with this one. Thanks again for the comments

... stonking image Tilz ... The combination of light, focus & BG delivers something quite magical. (y)

Guard. Like some one else said, its a shame the seat collar QR couldn't have been moved, or even spun so it was horizontal. Other than that, I think its a bloody great shot. Out of interest, whats the bike??

The bike's a Gary Fisher Opie Ross, bought it second hand the other year for getting too and from work. Had to put new front forks on it and to be honest I've replaced everything else on it since buying it too but I've done a lot of miles on and off road on it.
I was playing with the shot on PhotoPos Pro (the editing software I use) earlier as I wanted to see if it looked good in black and white. It looked good but I discovered that it looked cool when I put a polarised filter on it. I'll post it tomorrow so you can check it out

Back