Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cobra, with @Dark Knight so busy at the moment, do we need to help him out by picking up the spreadsheet for a bit (until he's got time back)?
I don't have access to the spread sheet, such things are way above my knowledge..
But if Dean is happy to pass the reins I'm happy
@Dark Knight ?

It does seem that without the spreadsheet it's all a bit academic as no one will know who has submitted what. Not that I'm complaining as I realise that it's quite a task to keep it up to date. It's absence does allow me to skip themes I don't like but I then I think I'm just cheating myself.

I've just done a google image search for "Keep your chicken strips small and your shiny side up" and lots of familiar pics appears. o_O

I've just done a google image search for "Keep your chicken strips small and your shiny side up" and lots of familiar pics appears. o_O

I've never done that and now I have I can see my little slogan won't mean much to non-bikers. Put in 'chicken strips motorcycle' and you'll see what I mean, chicken strips are around the edge of a motorcycle tyre and the thinner they are the steeper you have been cornering, It translates as enjoy your motorcycling but don't crash.

Last edited:
Guess I need to pop my head up over the parapet lol.....

Big changes at work mean good things, but harder and more work for us guys.....time I get home , if Im not shagged out then the last thing I want to do is take the camera out right now......

Not sure where I am this year tbh, not finding it as enjoyable in a few ways. I still like the theme idea and enjoy trying to be original, but I think for me, this year seems to be 90% tit for tat comments...and whilst I fully understand the reasoning from folks doing this, Im not sure it aids progress in the artform....

For example, in order to obtain some comments on my thread, I have to post small praisefull comments on a number of shots that, ordinarily, I would pass by.

Now , dont get me wrong, Im no pro tog but enjoy what I do...does that make me fit to crit others ? Im not sure...consequently, I post 15 "nice image, on themes" to get maybe, one or two properly constructive crits on my work....

This isnt aimed at anyone, but just open thoughts being typed....

im still in the game but havnt yet shot Rural, despite living in the sticks, but Im missing something from the 52 this year.

I can post a theme and guarantee answers frome the old hands, most of what they offer is very good and valid.....

I actually enjoy @seaodyssey 's crit, beacuse it succint and to the point.....

Feel like Im just blithering now, dont mean to offend anyone, but just saying where Im at....

.... and I miss Andy @posiview and his crit:

'Nice use of DOF, maybe a little under exposed, Cheers'

'I like it, motion blur would have improved it, Cheers'

Succinct and to the point, helpful too. :)

Last edited:
I always try to give positive comments, that's not to say I will only say what's right or what I like about a photo, I'll also point out what I don't think works.
It can be really hard to come up with new ways of saying the same thing.
I do find it hard to give detailed feed back sometimes, sometimes I just can't put my finger on what I do or don't like. I also don't consider myself to be that good a photographer (I don't like to even use that word as a description of my hobby), so to give some sort of negative feed back, on a photo from someone that's better than me, doesn't really sit right.

I'm afraid after getting my fingers burnt a couple of times for being honest I only now comment on pictures that I like and about which have something positive to say. I like a good image, mine are all too bland a lot of the time as I have all the technical knowledge there is about photography but I just don't have the 'eye'. My next door neighbour, now deceased, took pictures with a cheap, low pixel-count point-and-shoot and her pictures were always better than mine.

It’s always a tough call, I try (and probably fail ) to be encouraging and constructive and keep comments in proportion to peoples apparent skill levels. Let’s be honest, a lot of the stuff that gets posted is not worthy of deep analysis and consideration but sometimes someone has given up a chunk of their weekend chasing around for that illusive shot and I always feel that the effort counts. However, that shot goes up against a snap taken in the someone’s back garden and somehow, for me at least they are not equivalent, even if they both end up looking a bit uninspiring. I know there is a strong argument for an image standing on its own without a sob-story about how difficult it was but I do like to cut people some slack if they have put some effort in.

And I suppose that goes towards to crux of the difficulty for me, I appreciate critical appreciation but am a bit resentful of comments that do not seem to account for the work done. It’s human nature to tend to suppose that something you have never done is easier than it looks. So an apparently simple shot of a glass or a bit of “street” or whatever may seem like a throw-away snap but could have taken quite a bit of time and experience to get right but it then gets a “could try harder” type comment from someone who themselves that week didn’t try very hard.

All that aside, I think the real problem in the latter part of last year and pretty much all of this year is the small number of weekly posters. More people seem to be coming in with 3 and 4 week catch-ups and then disappearing again and not getting involved in the banter or helping to keep the sense of community going.

More people seem to be coming in with 3 and 4 week catch-ups and then disappearing again and not getting involved in the banter or helping to keep the sense of community going.
Its certainly changed, since I've been running it Chris, what is it my 3rd year? and Sarah I think did it for about 7 years previously,
after 10 years,
1) Is it getting stale do you think?
2) Should we drop it for a year?
3) if someone else wants to take over the reins next year and try a different format, they are welcome :)
( said in the nicest possible way)

Any thoughts on any of these, anyone?

we bury my brother this Sunday
I hope it goes as well as these things can Dave :)

Its certainly changed, since I've been running it Chris, what is it my 3rd year? and Sarah I think did it for about 7 years previously,
after 10 years,
3) if someone else wants to take over the reins next year and try a different format, they are welcome :)

I know im new here and am doing this for the first year butbi really like it how it is. I am trying to stay up to date on comments and comment regularly and make sure that my pictures are taken and in on the week they are set. I like it the way it is but i realise people who have been here longer might have different views.......

@Cobra , I still really like the format and dont want to not to do it. I dont belive the idea is stale, and we have seen some good folks new this year, altho I think a fair few have fallen behind, myself included.

It gets harder the more you fall behind on both pics and comments, and I guess Im going to have to try another 3 theme catchup this weekend......

Im determined to keep it going and will finish it again.

In many ways, its like getting into debt, you have to work harder to stay afloat.....

Ive got clear ideas for what I need to shoot, I just need a time when Im not shagged out to actually shoot them.

after 10 years,

Thanks @Cobra. Yes I have stopped till all our family matters are sorted out, but for me I`d like the 52 to stay as is. Yes I will be behind and on catch up but I love the 52.

@Cobra , I still really like the format and dont want to not to do it. I dont belive the idea is stale, and we have seen some good folks new this year, altho I think a fair few have fallen behind, myself included.

It gets harder the more you fall behind on both pics and comments, and I guess Im going to have to try another 3 theme catchup this weekend......

Im determined to keep it going and will finish it again.

In many ways, its like getting into debt, you have to work harder to stay afloat.....

Ive got clear ideas for what I need to shoot, I just need a time when Im not shagged out to actually shoot them.

I like the analogy of being in debt, it's just like that when you get behind with the themes, but for me it's the more I get behind with the comments. I don't like to post my theme until I've caught up with comments.

after 10 years,

Having done this for so long, (my 8th year of posting to a theme) I still think the format is right for it. I can't see any way of changing it would better it in anyway really. I do wish I was able to comment and critique more, but I struggle with getting in depth these days, all down to my me and my other neurological issues getting worse. I will do my best to comment as and where I can.

I would like to think that I have improved over the years at interpreting the themes and of course got better with the picture taking technicalities too. All of the comments and critique soak in.

That is all down to sticking to it through thick and thin, and posting many many major catch ups in previous years!

The project is to improve, not just to stay at the same level.

Stick with it everyone and most of all keep enjoying it and learn from it all.

I would like to add my views on the challenge, I do enjoy the challenge, sometimes it’s hard to stay up to date when life gets in the way. My own view is for this year it does seem to be lacking in something, I also can’t help but wonder if the quality of the comments and crit received good bad or indifferent. Puts people of from posting images and indeed commenting on others work. This challenge has helped me to improve the first year I did the challenge, and then I fell behind on the previous years I attempted the challenge. This year I feel I’ve hit a bit of a stalemate, while I have broken the habit of boring indoor shots and I’m able to get further afield for my photography. I feel that technically I’m not improving that much. I wouldn’t want this challenge to stop, but I’m certainly open for a new look feel to the challenge as there’s some great people taking part in the challenge.

I'd like to propose a slight change in that there might be free weeks in the challenge during which one could choose to not post anything or maybe get a chance to catch up without compromising quality (you know, get something in quick, that'll have to do because the next theme is upon us), or in the free week one could pick ones own theme and take a picture of anything you like for amusement and/or critique.

Oh, and make it a 50 challenge so there are a couple of weeks off at Christmas and New Year (not that I've made it that far yet).

Me too, I like it as it is. It would be more fun if we had more regular weekly posters and people who contribute more to the "community" with banter in this discussion, etc. Also I think with more weekly commenters the crit tends to "average out" for want of a better term. I have no idea how we would go about attracting more regulars though, may be making the spreadsheet/league table more prominent may help (not that I ever look at it) but perhaps weekly stats on things like most comments, top posters within the week etc. Possibly have a "most liked comment"?

So you are not getting off that easily @Cobra

That said, if you want a break next year Chris, I am half tempted to offer to do the basic theme-picking, etc. but obviously I don't have the magic moderator powers.

I seriously think the one change I would introduce is a "comment 3 (or 4); post one" guideline. I.e. a recommendation that before you post for a week you comment on at least the previous 3 or 4 entries. Just a guideline and only policed by other 52'ers tutting and muttering into their computer monitors. I think this would serve two purposes, it means that people are only obliged to make a few comments and hopefully they would then be a bit more detailed and "better quality"; and it hopefully somewhat randomizes who comments on who.

All that said I REALLY want to see this year out as-is, we've got half a year to decide what happens next year.

It is for me.
No, but perhaps some of the players should. ie. Me.
... not so fast. Anyway there is no different format. :)

I'm not enjoying it like I did, so halfway through my fifth year I'm dropping out. I'm not saying goodbye because I'm not going far, I'm starting my own TP > Personal Project :thinking: and I'll be popping in here to comment on the odd photo that grabs me. :sneaky:

I love the 52. That feeling of relief you get after you finish banging your head against the wall when the theme is announced with exactly the opposite of what you had hoped for. Yes some weeks if life is busy you get a quick shot in that is somewhat on theme but nothing special. Other weeks you spend ages looking for that elusive shot. As a challenge it keeps me from stagnating in my comfort zone. I'm still not managing to comment as much as I'd like and some of you have to put up with a LIKE. I'm glad of the balanced critique that does get made on both mine and others pictures. Getting critique right is an art in itself, it is not just nitpicking and helps not only the person making the picture but also is thought provoking for others.

I'm not enjoying it like I did, so halfway through my fifth year I'm dropping out.
Noooo ... not you. For me you are one of the strongest contributors doing this, you will be sorely missed. In fact it was one of you photos which I stubled across which got me started in this game

It is for me.

No, but perhaps some of the players should. ie. Me.

... not so fast. Anyway there is no different format. :)

I'm not enjoying it like I did, so halfway through my fifth year I'm dropping out. I'm not saying goodbye because I'm not going far, I'm starting my own TP > Personal Project :thinking: and I'll be popping in here to comment on the odd photo that grabs me. :sneaky:
It's a shame to see you depart for the rest of this year (at least). You do come up with some cracking takes on the themes and give some good feed back.

Having done this for so long, (my 8th year of posting to a theme) I still think the format is right for it. I can't see any way of changing it would better it in anyway really.
Me either Michael, tbh thats why I posed the question.

or in the free week one could pick ones own theme and take a picture of anything you like for amusement and/or critique.
Not a bad idea Martin, how about instead of the 4 re-shoots + theme I just make them a "free week" ? either post something of your own choosing, or don't post anything at all.

Oh, and make it a 50 challenge so there are a couple of weeks off at Christmas and New Year (not that I've made it that far yet).
I tend to make those "fun and Relevant" weeks ie Party / decorations / drink type themes.

may be making the spreadsheet/league table more prominent may help (not that I ever look at it) but perhaps weekly stats on things like most comments, top posters within the week etc. Possibly have a "most liked comment"?
Thats a good idea Chris, I have no idea how to do it though, I'm crap with stats, / spread sheets etc, however if someone has the knowledge / time they are most welcome to give it a shot, it could even start now, say from July as a "practice run"

I'm not enjoying it like I did, so halfway through my fifth year I'm dropping out. I'm not saying goodbye because I'm not going far, I'm starting my own TP > Personal Project :thinking:
I'm really sorry to hear that David, but have fun and enjoy your "Personal challenge" (y)

I.e. a recommendation that before you post for a week you comment on at least the previous 3 or 4 entries. Just a guideline and only policed by other 52'ers tutting and muttering into their computer monitors.
Not keen on that idea tbh, Chris, it sounds like one of them there FB groups and it may put a few people off posting altogether.

The biggest problem I have, is not trying to repeat themes for at least 3 years, and there are only a limited number of themes / adjectives that can be viably used as photography subjects.

Oh! @Cobra , I know I'll probably jinx myself but, beach, clotted cream, tin mine or pasty would work well for me this week.

Oh! @Cobra , I know I'll probably jinx myself but, beach, clotted cream, tin mine or pasty would work well for me this week.
CRAP! its Thursday isn't it? I thought it was weds! better get the themes out, sorry David, None of those are on the list :p

So we are half way through well done to those that have made it this far.

I think in celebration this weeks theme is rather Elegant

@dmb are pasties elegant? I think they may well be ;)

Thats a good idea Chris, I have no idea how to do it though, I'm crap with stats, / spread sheets etc, however if someone has the knowledge / time they are most welcome to give it a shot, it could even start now, say from July as a "practice run"

Dont' want to tread on Deans toe's but just a screen shot of the current spreadsheet posted as an image may be a start and I would be really tempted to stick it in the "post your images thread" at the time the next week's theme is announced because I assume some folk don't follow or visit this thread.

The biggest problem I have, is not trying to repeat themes for at least 3 years, and there are only a limited number of themes / adjectives that can be viably used as photography subjects.
I wouldn't worry about repeating themes from previous years, there aren't many people left ho have been doing this for more than 3 years.

Not keen on that idea tbh, Chris, it sounds like one of them there FB groups and it may put a few people off posting altogether.
OK but given the current concerns over commenting, I think some way of encourging fewer better quality comments may be better than the expectation of commenting of every post.

Dont' want to tread on Deans toe's but just a screen shot of the current spreadsheet posted as an image may be a start
Unfortunately its far too big for that Chris, even I can't get around that rule ;)
I could alway post the link at the start of the new theme if you think that will help?

I see that its not been up dated since week 16, I'll give Dean @Dark Knight a boot up the bum

Noooo ... not you. For me you are one of the strongest contributors doing this, you will be sorely missed. In fact it was one of you photos which I stubled across which got me started in this game
It's a shame to see you depart for the rest of this year (at least). You do come up with some cracking takes on the themes and give some good feed back.
I'm really sorry to hear that David, but have fun and enjoy your "Personal challenge" (y)

Awe ... thanks guys, I know I've been a valued and conscientious contributor. :cool: ... but you'll manage without me! I hope.

I'm doing a Personal Project called: "Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens" :woot: ... starting soon, do pop in for a look. (y)

As a Newbie to this game I can't think of a better way of doing it. I have found some of the themes hard to do justice to, mainly due to to lack of time to get out to find and take a suitable item. if I can't get out on a weekend I'm often stuffed. Perhaps getting more thinking time between when the theme is anounced and the weekend?
I try to comment on recent entries when I get the time. But keeping track of who I have commented on and who I haven't is a major problem.
I am thinking of running a personnel own themes based project along side this years 52 when I have given it a bit more thought. It will be based on a loose fitting theme and a technique together each month I think, So I can think and research more for each photo and hopefully lead to improvement rather than getting an "On Theme" Image.

Pete

Perhaps getting more thinking time between when the theme is anounced and the weekend?
I don't mind doing it say on a Monday, What does everyone else think?

Blimey, been missing in action for a week and all hell breaks loose on here.
  • @d00d noooooo. we'll miss you, your submissions and your comments.
  • Weeks 51 & 52 are the fun ones (as is week 0), can't lose them!
  • Not sure about the 3 or 4 comments a week suggestion from @sirch it sounds a bit too much like rules, and the first rule of 52 club is we don't talk about rules ;) I think part of the fun (?) of the 52 is commenting. It makes you think about what you're looking at and why you do/don't like it.
  • Free weeks == More Railway (or Cosplay) images. Be careful what you wish for ;)
Thinking of you for Sunday @Dave70D

Free weeks == More Railway (or Cosplay) images. Be careful what you wish for ;)
Well, "free weeks" you can post what you like, Fill your boots Tim (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back