Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic will take some thinking about, could be a long week lol

Synthetic?

That's just pants!

Or could be :)

That’s what everyone says to everyones photos pretty much, wether they are good or not

I would agree there is a certain amount of that type of comment, but I wouldn't say everyone does it. Although, after seeing some of the hissy fits we've had over the past few years, sometimes it can be excused.
I think what is really missing is the 'why' you like (or dislike) certain pictures.

I know I can certainly be guilty of sometimes posting a 'on theme' comment (haven't we all), I think though, that's on the hardest type of shot to comment on, one where we have no strong feelings either way.
It's a difficult balance.

I'm afraid if I have nothing useful to say about a photograph then I'll either just 'like' it or say nothing at all. I don't like to criticise as it is often not taken in the spirit with which it is intended and some photos -- including many of my own -- are not necessarily worth a comment. I must add here though that if I haven't commented it is more likely that I haven't had the time while the theme was current and me commenting weeks down the line is just too late to be useful.

I agree 100%
I wouldn't say everyone does it either but I find if I do pass a comment thats maybe critical its taken the wrong way I have kind of given up so i say nothing constructive at all, which is losing the point of the challenge, just liking the photo regardless how does that help?
I don't think any of us would say we are excellent photographers, I know I'm not, so if people suggest a different approach or even dislike it for whatever reason, wether I agree or disagree thats fine by me, if I feel the need to explain it I will.

This is just a cop out your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's , isn't it?

I must say i would rather have someone constuctivly criticise my picture than not comment or just say 'on theme', otherwise how am i going to improve? I know ive been guilty of that comment in the past and also guilty of taking comments the wrong way.

Nobody mentions the Critique word, Critique is what we're not getting enough of. Critique is something altogether more philosophical and should be welcomed by all. :D

Anyway, moving on ..... we're just about at the halfway mark, we all need to pull our socks up, no shirking, no straggling.

.... just remembered I'm away for 3 weeks in September. :runaway:

I just want to now post 'on theme' and 'nice shot' on everyones creature shots.....

Totally agree David, I try to give valid comments on things I see, they tend to be on the negative side as we all need to improve our current level of seeing. I know I do. Some of the subjects are hard to do justice to and the images taken can be very wide ranging. We also all have different subjects we like and dislike.

We all lead very busy lives and I can struggle to find as little as 15minutes some weeks to take photos, never mind the time to travel places.
It also take a lot of time to view and comment on other submissions.

Don't worry about giving any sort of Critique to my submissions and any suggestions to improve them are also welcomed.

Pete

My two-penneth...

I seem to recall this crit(ique) thing being discussed in the last couple of years I have done this 52 lark and TBH I find it the hardest part of the challenge. I always think that the crit should try to match the level at which people are operating but so often there is just nothing to say, however not commenting feels like a bit of a cop out. But what do you say when someone posts busy, unsharp, hunt-the-subject photos week after week? I have considered trying to pick a few photos each week and give a more considered crit on those but that feels a but pretentious and frankly I don't think it would work because the nature of the weekly challenge means that we all post tick-the-box snapshots from time to time that really aren't worth much more consideration than "good effort, on theme".

I tend to regard this challenge as the photographic equivalent of going to the gym, it keeps me "fit" for other things, lets me "exercise" different areas and it's good to get some encouragement whilst doing it.

I was literally just typing the same thing as Pete @seaodyssey , except I had it down to the 1970’s, I’m even older.

Chris

I think you are right, it would have been the seventies. I'm no good with dates, amongst many other things, terrible memory.

Pete

Chris

I think you are right, it would have been the seventies. I'm no good with dates, amongst many other things, terrible memory.

Pete
70s, that would be brushed nylon sheets from Brentford Nylons that together with brushed nylon pj's resulted in about 3000 volts of static in bed, you could even see the sparks. The smooth nylon sheets were even worse. Jump into bed and you slid out of the the other side.

Not my picture, this was there HQ afaik. Between Gillettes and Firestones on the Golden Mile.
It was demolished and is SKY now.
photo_gwrbrentfordnylons_730703_py.jpg

Further info (and the source of the photo) here.
http://www.bhsproject.co.uk/photo_gwrbrentfordnylons_py.shtml

Well after today trying my best to help my elderly Mother, I have decided to have a big break from my 52. Helping Mum so much with no other help at all is taking it`s toll on my mental health, so I am stopping for a while until I can try to get some more help and my self, don`t right me off but I will be back, just don`t know when.

don`t right me off but I will be back, just don`t know when.
Take all the time you need Dave, its not easy looking after an elderly parent is it? :(

Well after today trying my best to help my elderly Mother, I have decided to have a big break from my 52. Helping Mum so much with no other help at all is taking it`s toll on my mental health, so I am stopping for a while until I can try to get some more help and my self, don`t right me off but I will be back, just don`t know when.

Sorry to read this, Dave. Hopefully you can treat photography as your way to take a break when it's possible. Thank you for your input and encouragement in the 52 so far this year.

Take all the time you need Dave, its not easy looking after an elderly parent is it? :(

It is just so hard running around for mum that it is just physically and mentally draining me, my brother does not want to help at all as he made that clear a while ago, that is why I have rushed so many of my shots for my 52. Today I went over to do a shop and tidy up while leaving the camera at home, I am not over to mums now till Wednesday or until she phones for help. I`d do anything at the drop of the hat for mum, but I know I have to try my best to look after my self too, but do agree with you it is not easy plus mum is very stubborn.

Sorry to read this, Dave. Hopefully you can treat photography as your way to take a break when it's possible. Thank you for your input and encouragement in the 52 so far this year.

Thank you Andrea, it will be a while but I do hope that I can finish my 52 but without rushing anymore shots.

Phew, silly busy fortnight, but finally back to normal service hopefully. Big 4 theme catch up posted today, one is quite tongue in cheek, but Im pleased with all of them this time....

Off out for a bit now but will be back and get caught up on commenting later.....

It is just so hard running around for mum that it is just physically and mentally draining me,
I`d do anything at the drop of the hat for mum,
Tell me about it, Mine's in and out of hospital like a bloody yo-yo since breaking her hip and shoulder a few months ago!
She goes in to an intermediate care home, ( rehabilitation) the minute she even sneezes they send her back to hospital, even though the Drs gave her "all clear"
2 days before!

Hi Dave .... I read on another thread you got down to the beach: Excellent Photos - perhaps that's more therapeutic for you currently .....

open_arms.gif
Take your time @Dave70D, I agree with David those are really good photos and may be you need to be shooting things you want to rather than to a theme picked at random. You have always been so active in the 52 you'll be missed but please don't feel pressured by it, it's meant to be fun.

@Dave70D, Sorry to hear that your mum is still ill, but good on your for being there for her.
We'll miss you and you being first to post/comment in the 52, but needs must and this is just supposed to be a bit of fun.
Take care fella and hopefully we'll see you back at some point. Keep that X-T2 with you...

@Dave70D, Sorry to hear that your mum is still ill, but good on your for being there for her.
We'll miss you and you being first to post/comment in the 52, but needs must and this is just supposed to be a bit of fun.
Take care fella and hopefully we'll see you back at some point. Keep that X-T2 with you...
As Tims say @Dave70D , take care of your own......

Tell me about it, Mine's in and out of hospital like a bloody yo-yo since breaking her hip and shoulder a few months ago!
She goes in to an intermediate care home, ( rehabilitation) the minute she even sneezes they send her back to hospital, even though the Drs gave her "all clear"
2 days before!

Take your time @Dave70D, I agree with David those are really good photos and may be you need to be shooting things you want to rather than to a theme picked at random. You have always been so active in the 52 you'll be missed but please don't feel pressured by it, it's meant to be fun.

As Tims say @Dave70D , take care of your own......

Thanks again folks, once it has calmed down a bit I hope to be able to start really enjoying my photography again, like the beach shots helped me. I will make a note of the themes and once I feel happy in my pic taking I can slowly get back my mojo.

Dave, for what it's worth here's my two- penneth, I expect it is very difficult running around trying to help someone else but you can't do it if you yourself are not in good shape both mentally and physically. My advice is to keep doing the photography if only for the occasional theme as it gives you something else to think about and gives you a break. Nothing beats a good daydream.

Dave, for what it's worth here's my two- penneth, I expect it is very difficult running around trying to help someone else but you can't do it if you yourself are not in good shape both mentally and physically. My advice is to keep doing the photography if only for the occasional theme as it gives you something else to think about and gives you a break. Nothing beats a good daydream.

Thanks Martin, today I was just chilling out taking photos of one of the singers at the Music Hall.

I've still got nothing for Synthetic that isn't a cliché. I might have to skip it and come back when inspiration strikes.

I've still got nothing for Synthetic that isn't a cliché. I might have to skip it and come back when inspiration strikes.
No Hassle Martin. It happens sometimes and the reason they're cliches is that they usually get the point across;) Push on and it'll come back !

10.30 ..... I'd have thought this a reasonable hour for the staff to announce the new theme. :D

Running late today ..
I've been working in very some very Rural area's
And don't forget as per the heads up a couple of weeks ago, its also optional re-shoot week too (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back