WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Doesn't blackmail have to involve some sort of personal (often financial) gain as a condition of silence? Blabbing 'cos you're mad at someone is just (malicious) gossip unless it's false, then you get into defamation.
I guess so but say Person A says to Person B, I'm going to "out" you and A thinks it will ruin B's career (or similar), that could result in A having personal gain if they were to take A's job? Or A might think that B will let them appear on their TV show, in this case, having been denied the opportunity previously, would that not be blackmail?

SWMBO tried to set the house on fire. :rolleyes:

She likes to burn incense every now and then. She normally leaves it to burn out and then the following day, she chucks it in the bin. Today, she thought it had burned out and, thinking it had cooled down, she chucked in the bathroom bin. Because of the lid, smoke wasn't apparent but the smell of something burning was. I looked around high and low. The smell was strongest in the bathroom but because the window was open, I thought it was from outside. I went to check and figured it might be from the roadworks nearby but I couldn't smell anything. I kept looking around the bathroom, spotted the bin and opened the lid. Holy smokes.

SWMBO has now had a lecture on fire safety.
Can you still eat solids or are you eating through a straw.

I guess so but say Person A says to Person B, I'm going to "out" you and A thinks it will ruin B's career (or similar), that could result in A having personal gain if they were to take A's job? Or A might think that B will let them appear on their TV show, in this case, having been denied the opportunity previously, would that not be blackmail?
Blackmail is defined in section 21 of the Theft Act 1968: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/21

To be blackmail as I read it: A or another person must benefit (or B must lose).

It isn't blackmail if the demand is legitimate (pay me what you owe for your meal) and the threat is also legitimate (if you don't I'll call the police).

Walking round Brighton town today, when two big A holes saw me wrapped up and said Got the virus mate... Not giving a damn I said Yes and even HIV too so want some after asking me if I want a smack in the mouth I said try it mate and you wear my camera so they cleared off, thank god.

British shops annoyed me today, now wonder there a dying breed. I was looking to do a bit of DIY and needed three things a certain type of wood stain a new set of screw drivers and an end cap/trim for a work top. The first shop B&Q didn't have the paint or end cap in stock, next shop Screwfix I found some screwdrivers they had the right paint and the end cap .got to the desk they had the end cap but not the other two, next shop Selco had the wood stain at £36 took it to the desk and they said it was £10 extra told them to shove it , then came home 1 and a half hours wasted. I should have ordered of the net.

Last edited:
SWMBO tried to set the house on fire. :rolleyes:

She likes to burn incense every now and then. She normally leaves it to burn out and then the following day, she chucks it in the bin. Today, she thought it had burned out and, thinking it had cooled down, she chucked in the bathroom bin. Because of the lid, smoke wasn't apparent but the smell of something burning was. I looked around high and low. The smell was strongest in the bathroom but because the window was open, I thought it was from outside. I went to check and figured it might be from the roadworks nearby but I couldn't smell anything. I kept looking around the bathroom, spotted the bin and opened the lid. Holy smokes.

SWMBO has now had a lecture on fire safety.
Could have been worse: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/erykah-badus-incense-badus-pussy-948376/

Discovering that the sandwiches I’d bought at Sainsbury’s Local in Newcastle railway station on my way home tonight were not just cold but actually frozen.

The initial clue was the lettuce in the first bite crunching when I bit into it and then not bending when I checked it

British shops annoyed me today, now wonder there a dying breed. I was looking to do a bit of DIY and needed three things a certain type of wood stain a new set of screw drivers and an end cap/trim for a work top. The first shop B&Q didn't have the paint or end cap in stock, next shop Screwfix I found some screwdrivers they had the right paint and the end cap .got to the desk they had the end cap but not the other two, next shop Selco had the wood stain at £36 took it to the desk and they said it was £10 extra told them to shove it , then came home 1 and a half hours wasted. I should have ordered of the net.
If I am planning on buying something from Screwfix I always use their online stock checker before visiting, I also use their click & collect to reserve & pay for items if they have limited stock.

If I am planning on buying something from Screwfix I always use their online stock checker before visiting, I also use their click & collect to reserve & pay for items if they have limited stock.
This. Screwfix and B&Q are within equal distance from my house. We also used to have a Homebase not too far away but that shut down. Screwfix was mainly for things I'd need, could check stock and either click and collect, or just go into the store and buy. B&Q and Homebase were good for browsing before buying - certainly if one place didn't have something, the other almost always did.

This. Screwfix and B&Q are within equal distance from my house. We also used to have a Homebase not too far away but that shut down. Screwfix was mainly for things I'd need, could check stock and either click and collect, or just go into the store and buy. B&Q and Homebase were good for browsing before buying - certainly if one place didn't have something, the other almost always did.
I used to like browsing around Homebase too, until our two nearest stores closed. I believe B&Q and Screwfix are owned by the same parent company, Screwfix are almost always cheaper than B&Q for the same item, I am sure it must be a lot cheaper operating a Screwfix 'warehouse' type store than a B&Q shed.

I have 4 Screwfix stores within a 5 mile radius of where I live so it's my first call for DIY. On the extremely rare occasion an item is out of stock Screwfix can usually get it next day.

Half-time Wolves v Leicester. This statistic is given out by commentators time after time and it really annoys me. During the first half the commentator said that Jamie Vardy hasn't scored in 15 hours {of play}. It's absolutely meaningless. It doesn't matter that he didn't play the full 90 minutes in all games that this stat covers. 15 hours is 900 minutes. 90 minutes a game so 10 games. Why not just say that he hasn't scored in the last 10 games in which he's played but some not the full 90 minutes.

Driving through north London yesterday where the speed limit is 20mph and the pedestrians figure this gives them the right to cross the road, or even just stand in the road, where ever or when ever they want, regardless of traffic.

London yesterday where the speed limit is 20mph and the pedestrians figure this gives them the right to cross the road, or even just stand in the road
Actually I've noticed that too, not in London (as I avoid it like the plague) but other places where the speed limit is a lot lower than 30.
They just wander around as though its part of the foot path, and just glare when you suggest they may like to use the footpath.

Last edited:
Actually I've noticed that too, not in London (as I avoid it like the plague) but other places where the speed limit is a lot lower than 30.
They just wander around as though its part of the foot path, and just glare when you suggest they may like to use the footpath.
In several instances there was a crossing just yards away.
Even crossings didn't help as pedestrians still tried to cross after the traffic had been given the green light.

My son drives for Jewsons and he used to have to make deliveries in London, he doesn't miss it one bit due to all the suicidal pedestrians, cyclists and motorbike / moped riders.

Certainly not the place I'm thinking of
Nor me and to be honest there is more room around those cars than there is where cars are allowed to park with two wheels on the pavement where I live.

Whilst queueing to get into a gig last night, the main problem on the pavements that I could see, was people just standing chatting right in the middle of the pavement.

Last edited:
Look at Andrew's photo. That mini drop-kerb is clearly meant for Minis, and the driver's all lined up to make use of it. :p

Minis these days are just front wheel drive BMWs.

I picked up my 1st senior citizens parking permit today, costs £30 a year but allows you to park for "free" for up to 3 hrs in some of the Council's car parks. You have to display the permit and a clock to show what time you arrived in said carpark, payment for the permit is taken over the phone prior to picking the permit up where you need to show proof of identity before they give it to you.
Great idea. Slight problem, they don't have any clocks, nor do they know when they will get any.
So I have paid £30 for a permit I can't use and they don't do refunds, sounds like fraud to me.
A few emails are on there way.

Last edited:
Could you get away with a pad of sticky notes and a marker to write your arrival time on?

Could you get away with a pad of sticky notes and a marker to write your arrival time on?
No idea, I have emailed and suggested that, I await their reply. You would like to think do wouldn't you. Perhaps a bit of common sense too far?

I picked up my 1st senior citizens parking permit today, costs £30 a year but allows you to park for "free" for up to 3 hrs in some of the Council's car parks. You have to display the permit and a clock to show what time you arrived in said carpark, payment for the permit is taken over the phone prior to picking the permit up where you need to show proof of identity before they give it to you.
Great idea. Slight problem, they don't have any clocks, nor do they know when they will get any.
So I have paid £30 for a permit I can't use and they don't do refunds, sounds like fraud to me.
A few emails are on there way.
No idea, I have emailed and suggested that, I await their reply. You would like to think do wouldn't you. Perhaps a bit of common sense too far?

If the two items are to be used 'together' then it is down to them to ensure that until the clocks are there to be distributed they have failed to meet their contract obligations!

PS does the Mayor have an email address? ;)

PPS I do not doubt that this matter/subject is not within the remit of the High Sheriff of Hertfordshire but you could always email her here https://www.highsheriffofhertfordshire.org.uk/contact just in case one might think she should be kept abreast of a failure of the Council to give good customer service :police::bat:

Plus what about the MP.................seeing your town in your profile ~ https://www.bimafolami.co.uk/contact/

Last edited:
Bim - doubt I'd get much satisfaction from him, career politician, if it doesn't further his career nothing doing.
High sheriff sounds good though.
The carparks used to be run by NCP and apparently they had loads of clocks but didn't hand them over when the Council took over and so far the Council has failed to get new ones made up.

Blue badge versions are on amazon for £2.35, or a European one for £2.75
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullet-5-In-1-Parking-Disk/dp/B07BSPW8L4?th=1&psc=1

I would surmise that the council would only allow the use of "their" clock.........unless there is an explicit statement of other non-council ones can be used!

FWIW
On Guernsey all the parking is "clock" controlled, all residents and hire cars have one and as far as I could tell it is used 'honourably'.

You can only use the authorised one.......made of cardboard and has an hour dial & separate minutes dial.

Last edited:
I would surmise that the council would only allow the use of "their" clock.........unless there is an explicit statement of other non-council ones can be used!
It’s not clear but I guess the ‘clocks’ are just cardboard disc types like we have here so I would think a note would do, maybe snap it on the phone?

Being told a venue is wheelchair accessible then getting there and finding out it's not! :mad:

It’s not clear but I guess the ‘clocks’ are just cardboard disc types like we have here so I would think a note would do, maybe snap it on the phone?
I have no idea what the clicks look like, I don't have one :)

I have no idea what the clicks look like, I don't have one :)
Unless you have Synesthesia you probably won’t see the clicks, hear them maybe ;) Perhaps you could look at what others are displaying?

Parcelfarce tracking, suprised to see my package at my next door neighbour's after work. Mildly annoyed at the tracking, pleasantly surprised to see my neighbour with my D810.

Screenshot_20200218-165355_Chrome.jpg

WAMT

Little jobs that turn into big jobs. "Big Jobs" can mean something else (toilet related) but here I'm talking about DIY/repairs.

A ring on our induction hob stopped working so we just used the 3. Years later another went and two sometimes isn't enough so something has to be done now. Rather than repair it I thought we'd just buy a new hob as this is actually cheaper anyway as the old hob is long out of production and the parts we need will be special makes and eye wateringly expensive, maybe £600 for an induction ring? and £700 for a control board? maybe? giving a total bill for two rings / and maybe a board, £700? £1000? More? when a new hob is just over £300.

So the hob came and they'll install it :D Yipeee! So I don't need to bother :D but we find the hole in the granite kitchen top is 1cm too small in each direction and the new hob wont fit. Damn it. These things (hobs) are a standard size so the original hob fitting must have just been good luck. Anyway, the guy who brought and attempted to fit the new hob knows of another make which is slightly smaller so he got one of those but sadly that wont fit either plus it's deeper and even if it went in the hole it'd hit the top of the oven :( If it had fitted the hole maybe the oven could have been dropped down a bit but... it doesn't fit the hole :(

To future proof this the best idea is to get the hole cut to the correct (standard) size so I rang the kitchen fitters and of course they wont touch it as it's the granite cutters job. So I rang them. They wont do it in situ as it makes too much mess and it's a H&S issue so the top will need to come off, be taken to the workshop and cut there. But. He doesn't want to do that as the tiles could be damaged along with any wooden supports etc. So, to get the hole cut to the right size it'll need to be a multi discipline thing with the kitchen fitters, granite cutters and tilers and anyone else (plasterers?) all attending and doing their thing. It wont be the cost of a new kitchen but it wont be cheap either.

All because some wally cut the hole too small when the job was first done 10 years ago.

The hob supplier/fitter is very helpful and is going to check every hob he can and see if any will fit. I'd rather future proof the job but if we can get a new hob and get another 10 years out of it maybe it'll be time for some serious work in the kitchen then.

It should have been a ten minute job, unbox the new hob... connect it up... drop it in place… take the old one away...

Back