WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Another annoyance today.

I've just got an email saying that the interest rate for one of my accounts is dropping. I've just opened two of these accounts recently and moved money in, one for me and one for someone else and now I needn't have bothered.

I usually do the banking once a month but it's turning into an almost weekly think to get next to no return.

I think that's when my dislike of front wheel drive began...
Mine
Austin 1100 circa 1973..
Since then I managed largely to avoid them, save the companies van.
Oh and a Hyundai coupe 2.7 which for some strange reason handled like a RWD (y)

Mine
Austin 1100 circa 1973..
Since then I managed largely to avoid them, save the companies van.
Oh and a Hyundai coupe 2.7 which for some strange reason handled like a RWD (y)

Crumbs! that takes me back..................my dads one was around/earlier than that year, in many ways a great car but in others a pain. Though easy for DIY servicing including the two clutch changes we had to do ~ as you did not have to remove the engine to do it ;)

PS on a related note re: agh! front wheel drives ~ I recall hearing of someone that bought the Triumph saloon to have FWD, it was brand new.....they collected it from the dealer, got a couple of miles up the road and the engine or might have been the transmission failed. They walked back to garage to gave them the keys back demanding & receiving their money back!!!

Last edited:
my dads one was around/earlier than that year,
That would have been the year circa that I owned it, It would have been at least 6 years old at that point.

Though easy for DIY servicing including the two clutch changes we had to do
And yes its amazing the "road side mechanics" that were possible on the older cars!

My worst 2 cars
1) Works Datsun 180B Bluebird, anything less like Bluebird I have yet to drive, although it did like to do 360deg turns under brakes in the wet
2) Marina 1800 TC, went ok, stopped ok, brilliant (literally) headlights, handled like a pig

:plus1::agree: with @Cobra yup, trolley jack, axle stands, set of ramps...........a good quality socket set (plus other accessories ~ feeler gauge amongst many other bits & pieces) and a nice big jar of Swarfega ~ what was not to like :LOL:

PS later on I did all my own car DIY including jobs that were consider impossible without a full blown lift ramp.................such as on the Rover P2000, rear brake disks and half shaft seals. A friend and I both had P2000's and we collaborated on that job we did both cars in two days and the factory manual (yes, we got a copy ;) ) said it was an 8 hour job per half shaft!

And yes its amazing the "road side mechanics" that were possible on the older cars!

Did the clutch on my old S2a Landy in the drive. Just a trolley jack and a couple of stacks of wood to get the gearbox back far enough. Did the rear diff several times too - scrapyard ones don't last long!

My worst 2 cars
1) Works Datsun 180B Bluebird, anything less like Bluebird I have yet to drive, although it did like to do 360deg turns under brakes in the wet
2) Marina 1800 TC, went ok, stopped ok, brilliant (literally) headlights, handled like a pig

The worst handling car we (my dad) ever owned was an old BMW 1602Ti, drove well on all but wet roads, it was the first and last car I ever had a dramatic skid happen whilst making a right hand turn on a wet junction. Left turns were fine and did not "feel" odd but right hand one :cautious::cautious: , it was aok on the tracking and did not 'crab' or anything strange but clearly(?) had some history of damage to cause it to handle with such an odd behaviour!

Being up at sparrowfart for the sunrise at the coast. Looked good as I drove down. Got into position as the cloud descended. Gave up as it started to rain and headed back to the car as the rain turned into hail and the gale force wind turned it into driving hail.

Like walking into someone throwing freezing wet gravel at me.

A horse has done one this morning right outside our house on the road where we drive off the driveway. Might have to get a shovel and remove it tomorrow.

Once it's well rotted down. Otherwise you'll get a bed full of oats etc.. Fresh, it's pretty crap (pun intended!) [Well, ugly crap...]

A horse has done one this morning right outside our house on the road where we drive off the driveway. Might have to get a shovel and remove it tomorrow.
I can never understand why horse riders don't have to clean up after themselves... Especially where I walk the dog and have to clean up...

Presumably there is no legal responsibility to do so?

Carnivore excrement is a significant health hazard. Herbivore an inconvenience, still a potential health hazard but you need much more intimate interaction with it.

Dog eggs are singled out because despite the dog license being ceased decades ago, I think dogs are still regarded as licensed/owned - a cat has no owner, so they're allowed to crap on your lawn with impunity (legally you also must report running a dog over, but do the same to a cat and there is no such compulsion)

I guess you could be done for littering letting your horse crap in the road, but when was the last time anyone heard of a council fining anyone for littering?

Last edited:
I can never understand why horse riders don't have to clean up after themselves... Especially where I walk the dog and have to clean up...

Presumably there is no legal responsibility to do so?

There musn't be because not too long ago I saw two police horses on a nearby road through the built up area, so not a country road where you might expect it, and they let loose on the road..it was amazing how much was deposited..or maybe it was just one of them .Looked rather a lot for one,though.I didn't see them do it but the police were on the horses just along the road so it was fairly obvious it was them.

Carnivore excrement is a significant health hazard. Herbivore an inconvenience, still a potential health hazard but you need much more intimate interaction with it.

Dog eggs are singled out because despite the dog license being ceased decades ago, I think dogs are still regarded as licensed/owned - a cat has no owner, so they're allowed to crap on your lawn with impunity (legally you also must report running a dog over, but do the same to a cat and there is no such compulsion)

I guess you could be done for littering letting your horse crap in the road, but when was the last time anyone heard of a council fining anyone for littering?

I shall wear gloves,then.I don't mean I was going to scrape it up with my hands..lol..I'll use the garden spade rather than the house pan & brush.:)

No more licences but since 2016 they must be microchipped. It looks to me that dog owners in Northern Ireland must firstly microchip the dog and then get a licence.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/build...l-animalwelfare/doglicences.aspx#dog-renewals

Re. an offence to fail to pick up horse poo. No, seemsnot. https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/what-law-says-horses-doing-14691474

Re dogs,cats and road traffic incidents, I don't know for sure but maybe they're regarded as 'free spirits'.which they are,really.

You're keeping me on my toes tonight, Jason..lol https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-law-could-mean-drivers-2677853

Aye, but as the Garda in rural Mayo said to me when giving me a late night lift from the pub back to my hotel on the back of his motorbike without a helmet : "there's only me on duty for miles about, you're behind me, I didn't see you weren't wearing a helmet"

Them there wings certainly do play hob
Wind farms? I think they should shut down those damned turbines for a bit,
We have plenty without farming more :(

Wind farms? I think they should shut down those damned turbines for a bit,
We have plenty without farming more :(

I'm waiting for all the solar plants to bear fruit.

People call for a boycott of Yorkshire tea because a Yorkshire politician (I think he is...) drinks it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51621812

I'm tempted to say this is unbelievable especially as Jeremy Corbyn apparently drinks it too but sadly these days I'll believe just about anything of those on social media who seem to be constantly on the edge of outrage.

Last edited:
I'll believe just about anything of those on social media who seem to be constantly on the edge of outrage.
On the edge? I think they're off the edge and accelerating towards the event horizon. If only they'd get outraged by important things such as the lack of public cat cuddling booths in the high streets of our major towns and cities...

:tumbleweed:

People call for a boycott of Yorkshire tea because a Yorkshire politician (I think he is...) drinks it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51621812

I'm tempted to say this is unbelievable especially as Jeremy Corbyn apparently drinks it too but sadly these days I'll believe just about anything of those on social media who seem to be constantly on the edge of outrage.

Agree.

This has happened because such folks KNOW that YT must have endorsed the photo.

However, perhaps we should be kind to those who vilified YT. I mean how could they know it is possible just to go out and buy some tea bags without the company being aware?

Didn't they think there might be some relevance to Chancellor being a Yorkshire MP, or is that a bridge too far for some?

Dave

What awful vindictive people they must be.

And in the unlikely event that any boycott bullies are reading this... Glad you got thrashed at the last election, thrashed in places that you'd taken for granted and ignored for decades. There's a message there :D

On the edge? I think they're off the edge and accelerating towards the event horizon. If only they'd get outraged by important things such as the lack of public cat cuddling booths in the high streets of our major towns and cities...

:tumbleweed:

I heard that cat cuddling booths had to be removed as the cuddling often went a bit too far.

Yesterday on the way to work. Travelling at 70mph on a dual carriageway, I can see a car waiting to come out of a turning up ahead on the left, I check in my offside mirror and there is a car catching up on my outside, Before i can decide whether I have enough time or room to move to the outside lane, the car just pulls out from a standstill into the slow lane, instead of using the bloody great long slip road where the woman, as it turns out, would have had plenty of time and room to get upto speed before pulling out. Fortunately the driver coming up on my outside must have seen what was happening and eased off to give me plenty of room to move out and go around the woman.

Yesterday on the way to work. Travelling at 70mph on a dual carriageway, I can see a car waiting to come out of a turning up ahead on the left, I check in my offside mirror and there is a car catching up on my outside, Before i can decide whether I have enough time or room to move to the outside lane, the car just pulls out from a standstill into the slow lane, instead of using the bloody great long slip road where the woman, as it turns out, would have had plenty of time and room to get upto speed before pulling out. Fortunately the driver coming up on my outside must have seen what was happening and eased off to give me plenty of room to move out and go around the woman.
You should have moved over sooner. All BMs are allowed/commanded to ignore stop/give way signs, not saying she was driving a BM but if you'd been trained properly you would have known that and automatically got into the outside lane well in advance. :)

You should have moved over sooner. All BMs are allowed/commanded to ignore stop/give way signs, not saying she was driving a BM but if you'd been trained properly you would have known that and automatically got into the outside lane well in advance. :)
Surprisingly not a BM, she was blonde though. ;) I always try to move to the outside lane anyway in advance to let people out, but with the vehicle coming up on my offside, I didn't think I would have time. If she had used the slip road instead of the inside lane, I would have overtaken her long before the slip road ended.

That doesn't exist,
It does, it's the one used by all the bell ends who drive slower than lorries, causing congestion while you wait for the lorries to overtake them.
When there's no such bell ends it reverts back to being the primary inside lane. ;)

Some tit in an Amazon warehouse. Stuck a wrong barcode over the (presumably) correct one which means I got sent the wrong Item. Well under the £20 free delivery so will have to wait until I've built up a wish-list again. And I now have to go into town to return the wrong item. It's also fairly vehicle specific and I don't know anyone who could use it, otherwise I'd give it to them.

Some tit in an Amazon warehouse. Stuck a wrong barcode over the (presumably) correct one which means I got sent the wrong Item. Well under the £20 free delivery so will have to wait until I've built up a wish-list again. And I now have to go into town to return the wrong item. It's also fairly vehicle specific and I don't know anyone who could use it, otherwise I'd give it to them.
Surely Amazon should come to you to get it. My son often has to return stuff to Amazon, he just prints off a return label and they send someone to collect it.

I had to return a faulty year old Shredder to Amazon recently [ it had just suddenly failed at 11 months ] I was sent the new one with a return label for the other one - only snag was I had to head to the Post Office to send the faulty one back - it only weighed some 4 Kg :)

However the whole process was painless

Back