WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Was that in the 70's? :)
Happens remarkably frequently here out in the central sticks. There's a site at work that goes off 3-5 times per week for 30 seconds (exactly the time it takes for the isolator in the town to reclose) always at 0714 though. Have a UPS on my kit there solely for that.

Happens remarkably frequently here out in the central sticks. There's a site at work that goes off 3-5 times per week for 30 seconds (exactly the time it takes for the isolator in the town to reclose) always at 0714 though. Have a UPS on my kit there solely for that.
Really? Where do you live?
Think we've had one that I can remember in the last 25 years.

Well that site is in Peeblesshire - as per my location, I'm "near Englandshire". Had two power cuts at home in winter 2018/19 that lasted more than an hour - regular brownouts though.

Well that site is in Peeblesshire - as per my location, I'm "near Englandshire". Had two power cuts at home in winter 2018/19 that lasted more than an hour - regular brownouts though.
Had to Google brownout....never heard that phrase before.
Near Englandshire? That could be wales....:LOL:

Last edited:
We sometimes get power cuts here in rural Isle of Wight. Not too many these days compared to 10 years ago, but Storm Ciara and Dennis caused a few - kept turning my printer off so it would end up going into cleaning cycles :rolleyes:

I remember as a child all the power cuts we had in the 70's.
Ah the good old 3 day week. I had just started working in the Oil &Gas industry, which had special rule re the 3 day week. We were allowed to use electricity if we were working on N Sea projects during a shutdown, mainly for lighting as we used drawing boards the heating was by gas boilers. So on days where no shutdown we worked on non N Sea stuff, ended up doing a 6 day week.

Last edited:
Ah the good old 3 day week.
I was working for a regional daily newspaper at the time and we were exempt. At least, that's what the boss told us... :naughty:

As Mum was staying with a friend I had been staying in, she phoned me today to say she is back at home and wants me to do a shop for her. I told Mum she can wait till Monday as she knows I have to stay in for my own safety, so will go over on Monday do her shopping and tell her that`s it till lockdown has cleared off.

As Mum was staying with a friend I had been staying in, she phoned me today to say she is back at home and wants me to do a shop for her. I told Mum she can wait till Monday as she knows I have to stay in for my own safety, so will go over on Monday do her shopping and tell her that`s it till lockdown has cleared off.
Can she not get someone else to help her? I know Sainsbury's are only doing home deliveries for those who have registered as vulnerable. They then give them priority. Alternatively perhaps a neighbour could help? I don't think you should risk your own health if there is any other alternative.

There's currently a 12 minute wait to go on B&Q's website, I only want to have a quick look at prices. :confused:

Can she not get someone else to help her? I know Sainsbury's are only doing home deliveries for those who have registered as vulnerable. They then give them priority. Alternatively perhaps a neighbour could help? I don't think you should risk your own health if there is any other alternative.

Had sorted out Home help for Mum, but sadly once she went home she told them she does not need it as her son ( ME ) will help. Sadly I will NOT as I have to help my self by staying safe with me being in the High Risk group.

Had sorted out Home help for Mum, but sadly once she went home she told them she does not need it as her son ( ME ) will help. Sadly I will NOT as I have to help my self by staying safe with me being in the High Risk group.
Awful decision to have to make. My wife is terrified of either giving her Dad or catching this virus from her Dad.
We had a food delivery yesterday, some of it was for her Dad so we took it up to him and practice social distancing by leaving it on his door step, waited till he opened his door, collected it and then went back in, would this work for you?

Awful decision to have to make. My wife is terrified of either giving her Dad or catching this virus from her Dad.
We had a food delivery yesterday, some of it was for her Dad so we took it up to him and practice social distancing by leaving it on his door step, waited till he opened his door, collected it and then went back in, would this work for you?

Don`t think anything will help as Mums neighbour who works for Tesco told her to do a list and put it through her letterbox and she`d do a shop for Mum. But she tells folk OH that`s fine my son will help, so I really have to look after my own health as my doctor has told me DO NOT go to help as I could easily catch it.

Leaving it until this morning was a mistake, it's now a 1hr waiting time for B&Q and 40mins for Wickes.

1st world problems.

Don`t think anything will help as Mums neighbour who works for Tesco told her to do a list and put it through her letterbox and she`d do a shop for Mum. But she tells folk OH that`s fine my son will help, so I really have to look after my own health as my doctor has told me DO NOT go to help as I could easily catch it.
I think you need a stern word with your Mum . Literally your life could be at stake. If she has dementia then that complicates things - I do hope you can get something sorted.

Went for a walk today decided to go up past one of the hides I use occasionally as it's used for school, youth groups. The feeding station has been the focus of various practical conservation activities with youth groups, schools and even a group training event with Scottish Natural Heritage. Well I don't think they will be using it much now they've built an access road and cleared all the trees.
.20200411_102515.jpg20200411_102508.jpg

I think you need a stern word with your Mum . Literally your life could be at stake. If she has dementia then that complicates things - I do hope you can get something sorted.

Sadly Mum won`t listen, so even more sadder is NOT a cat in hells chance of me going over. Mum was safe at her friends and then goes back home has really cheesed me right off, so she is on her own through this virus now till it`s safe to go out.

I managed to get our Tesco online shopping done, managed to get more stuff too so some can go to Mums as just had a good talk on the phone to her to let her know she will have some food and other things delivered on Wednesday.

Tech not working, I dug my much hated Sony A6000 out of the cupboard and thought I'll try a few photos and send them on whats app to a few family members. After much wasted time and effort I've given up. This time I think the Sony may end up on eBay rather than collecting dust in the the cupboard . Rant over

Tech not working, I dug my much hated Sony A6000 out of the cupboard and thought I'll try a few photos and send them on whats app to a few family members. After much wasted time and effort I've given up. This time I think the Sony may end up on eBay rather than collecting dust in the the cupboard . Rant over
What was the problem?

Hello Robert,

I quite often send photos to my family whatsapp group + friends and work colleges for this I just use my phones camera , I came across the Sony in the cupboard where its been for a good while (I don't like the thing) I thought I'll have a go with it and send the photos to my phone too see if I could get some use out of it ( zoom capability). After many Youtube vids and Sonys own instructions the camera will not connect to the phone, on the phone it says connected but but the camera will sit there all day saying connecting. I gave up in the end having wasted too much of my spare time on the thing.While trying to find information on how to do this I came across a lot of forum posts complaining about the same thing, so I think it's fairly common for it not to work. I think I'll dig the 1931 Kodak Brownie NO2 out I've never come across any of these electronic problems when using it !

Last edited:
Good luck getting the Brownie to connect to the phone...

We have fairly new (religious) neighbours and helped them out when they arrived .This morning I was taken aback to pick up an envelope/card that had been pushed through the door and in it was a home-made Easter card with a large Cross on it. That was it, just a large Cross...apart from wishing myself and my wife a 'happy Easter' I'm really annoyed. How presumptious. I don't do gods (or as I call them-imaginary friends) and as for the idea of resurrection and ascension it's about as well-documented as Jack and the Beanstalk. None of the other neighbours are religiously inclined and don't get into it so a few years we all agreed not to push christmas cards through each others' door. My wife,being a kindly soul..I meant person..lol..says it's the thought that counts to which I responded that no thought had gone into it like ,maybe we don't celebrate any religious events o ,perish the thought, we're atheists...which we are. We have a young muslim couple nearby who I've interacted with as we pass in the road and they don't send us a card on either of the two Eids. Ok, the official religion is C of E but nevertheless.

The jury's out on whether I say something or not. The same's going to happen at christmas and it won't be a snow scene or a robin on it that's for sure. Any advice welcomed.

I really do feel that this CV thing should make us focus now and going forward on what's important. My take is your neighbors were being friendly in wishing you a happy Easter, take it as that but don't respond now or at Christmas and they may well get the message.
Move on.

Put it in the bin and move on....

Chuck the card in the bin/recycling and not give it a second thought, would be my advice :)

It went into the paper/cardboard recycle bag within 30 seconds.

Yes, you're both right,really so I'll go with that. Some things are better left unsaid. My wife will keep me on the straight and narrow too .She's usually right.. well, that's what she tells me.:)

I'll go and listen to Nolan on Radio Five-Live.

Thanks (y)

I really do feel that this CV thing should make us focus now and going forward on what's important. My take is your neighbors were being friendly in wishing you a happy Easter, take it as that but don't respond now or at Christmas and they may well get the message.
Move on.

Will do, Matt. Perspective and all that...Cheers.

It went into the paper/cardboard recycle bag within 30 seconds.

Yes, you're both right,really so I'll go with that. Some things are better left unsaid. My wife will keep me on the straight and narrow too .She's usually right.. well, that's what she tells me.:)

I'll go and listen to Nolan on Radio Five-Live.

Thanks (y)
Always listen to your wife.....best advice ever :)

I think other peoples beliefs should be respected if at all possible.

I can't respect the extreme religious nut jobs all religions have who'll gleefully murder and torture their way to paradise but the more mainstream and more acceptable stuff then why not? I see no reason to be offended or angered or taken aback or to see it as the first step in an assimilation process. Why not just see it as a friendly, caring or even loving gesture and move on.

Except when she says no to buying camera gear...:LOL:
Don't think she ever has, she sometimes asks "what will it do that your existing stuff doesn't" but I honestly don't think she's ever said no to any spend on my various hobbies.
I have to justify it to myself and that's often harder than justifying it to her. I found a really good one in her in 1973

Last edited:
Luckily for me if I ask Mrs WW if I can buy something she always says yes. In fact if I show any interest in anything she often offers to buy it for me.

I wonder how long that'll last.

Don't think she ever has, she sometimes asks "what will it do that your existing stuff doesn't" but I honestly don't think she's ever said no to any spend on my various hobbies.
I have to justify it to myself and that's often harder than justifying bit to her.
Mines neither, although she has been known to say, "once I get.....you can buy what you want" :LOL:
Tbh, I always seem to get what I want...
We've been married 36 years so i must be doing something right. :)

I've found that extolling the virtues of an impending purchase eventually elicits a cry of "If you buy the bloody thing, will you shut up about it?" So I do and do!

WAMT?
and a few days past ...

My bloody neighbours. I've mentioned before how recently I've heard the sound of children playing..
When they only have one of their own..

There has been plenty of coming and going's, people and cars over the week end, different voices both kids and adults ...
I guess they think they are immune in both senses of the word...

Back