WAMT....what annoyed me today!

My household insurance, buildings and contents with Bradford & Bingley in 2017 was £190 for the year. I didn’t pay enough attention last year and foolishly allowed the policy to automatically renew at £364.

Yesterday an email arrives from B&B telling me the insurance for the next year will be £431!

When I phoned to cancel the renewal the person at the end of the phone offered no explanation and seemed sympathetic to my not wishing to renew. What a rip off for the unwary.

Back to confused.com and it’s returned to £190 with Sainsbury’s.

Back to confused.com and it’s returned to £190 with Sainsbury’s.

I have the same issue with car insurance, at the moment, I can save £80 this year with exactly the same company, exactly the same deal, by going to the meerkat site!
They all just hope that we are bloody stupid don't they?

Of course a few years ago, it wasn't so easy or quick to get other quotes, and people probably didn't bother, but the "recent" additions of the comparison sites
make it far easier (y)

Our house and contents insurance has rocketed this year - just over a tenner more than last year. I shall now spend 2 hours of my time (at at least £50/hour...) finding a cheaper quote.

I have the same issue with car insurance, at the moment, I can save £80 this year with exactly the same company, exactly the same deal, by going to the meerkat site!
They all just hope that we are bloody stupid don't they?

Of course a few years ago, it wasn't so easy or quick to get other quotes, and people probably didn't bother, but the "recent" additions of the comparison sites
make it far easier (y)
I know it happens everywhere these days but I did think the increase was excessive. I found the AA just as bad too I seem to remember.

I found the AA just as bad too I seem to remember.
Just tell them no thanks I'm off the the RAC.
I did that, when the RAC almost doubled my membership, I'd not even called them out!
I said that I'm off to the AA. I got a reduction even going on lasts years premium, plus an extra 6 months membership (y)

Love this WAMT forum..A moaners’ paradise. Lol.

I’m extremely fed up and annoyed listening to..mainly politicians but the general public too, saying,in relation to Brexit..’The British people’ (voted to leave.). I’ve spent some time trying to understand the psychology of using the term ‘British’ There’s definitely a reason for it.

Why not just say that a majority of those who voted ,voted to leave. I say it that way because I’ve often heard people saying that ‘52% of people voted to leave’ . No they didn’t. 52% of those who voted did. 72.2% of registered voters took part in the referendum so,by definition, 27.8% didn’t vote . Some politicians don’t use the term and simply say that ‘a majority voted to leave and we must respect that result’. Using the term ‘The British people’ is almost Churchillian.

Neither was it,as claimed by some politicians, the ‘largest’ ’biggest’ excercise in democracy in the UK. The 1992 election, which John Major won, saw 78% of registered voters turn out and it’s not been the only turnout higher than the EU referendum.

Love this WAMT forum..A moaners’ paradise. Lol....
,,,I’m extremely fed up and annoyed listening to...
:LOL:

WAMT and most days too, people banging on about brexit at every opportunity and in as many forums as possible (y)

Last edited:
WAMT and most days too, people banging on about brexit at every opportunity and in as many forums as possible (y)
I agree. It's nearly as bad as people going on about their cameras.

Oh, wait a minute................ :coat:

Smoke alarms, well yesterday, 12 hours the damn thing went on for and nothing to do with smoke
either, it's now disconnected and hanging from the ceiling

Was it going off like there was a fire, or just that annoying chirping?

Like fire, but started when l came out of shower.
Wired into alarm system so can't turn it off!!!

Nerg.

Followers of Ogri might remember who or what he/she/it is but for the uninitiated, h/s/i is a nail, usually (as in this case) embedded in a tyre. Obviously in an unrepairable area, so new tyre time. Under 2,000 miles on the tyre so only 1/2 worn. Never mind, could have been a blowout (and I can burnout a few hundred miles' worth!!!)

Nerg.

Followers of Ogri might remember who or what he/she/it is but for the uninitiated, h/s/i is a nail, usually (as in this case) embedded in a tyre. Obviously in an unrepairable area, so new tyre time. Under 2,000 miles on the tyre so only 1/2 worn. Never mind, could have been a blowout (and I can burnout a few hundred miles' worth!!!)
My wife picked up a screw in one of her car tyres less than 100 miles after we collected it (brand new) from the dealers. The repair could not be plugged by the tyre fitter but they said they could send the tyre away to see if it could be repaired & vulcanised.
As the car just had tyre goo & a compressor I decided to buy a new tyre only to discover there were no new tyres of that size anywhere in the UK. Faced with the choice of having the car off the road for a week or more if we went ahead with the repair, I ended up having to buy a space saver rim & tyre.

Fortunately the tyre was returned repaired a week later.

When Smart cars were first introduced, there was no supply of fresh tyres for them in the UK so if you got an unrepairable puncture, the "car" was useless.

Slightly oddly, we hadn't had a single puncture for years but have had 2 in the past month or so.

Slightly oddly, we hadn't had a single puncture for years but have had 2 in the past month or so.
Thankfully, even though I do 1000-1200 miles aweek, I rarely get a puncture, but when I do, why are they almost always unrepairable?
I remember when punctures were rarely unrepairable, unless you were unlucky enough to get a slit in the side wall.
Even a pin prick these days writes off a tyre, and yet in days gone by, they'd put a tube in it.

Thankfully, even though I do 1000-1200 miles aweek, I rarely get a puncture, but when I do, why are they almost always unrepairable?
I remember when punctures were rarely unrepairable, unless you were unlucky enough to get a slit in the side wall.
Even a pin prick these days writes off a tyre, and yet in days gone by, they'd put a tube in it.

Progress? ;)

2 things!

Firstly, the officious little dicked orifice who insisted that I drove round the town centre for 5 minutes rather than sit in a loading bay with the engine (Diesel) off while I waited for Mrs Nod.
Secondly, the Amazon delivery person (must be a stand in - the usual chap is great!) who left a delivery in the designated spot but failed to then post the keys through the letter box (and didn't ring the doorbell to see if I was in - I was!)

Thankfully, even though I do 1000-1200 miles a week, I rarely get a puncture, but when I do, why are they almost always unrepairable?

TBH, I'm not too keen on repairing bike tyres anyway and sticking a tube in a tubeless tyre isn't a particularly good idea - apart from anything else, it increases the rotating mass and so increases the gyroscopic effect at any sort of speed, slowing up cornering a little (any yes, you do notice it, even if you're not Barry Sheene!!!)

By the time you've got to a safe place (in a car), chances are that you've bu99ered the tyre, even if the damage isn't visible. Luckily, I'm now in a position where I can afford a new one on the rare occasions it happens.

TBH, I'm not too keen on repairing bike tyres anyway and sticking a tube in a tubeless tyre isn't a particularly good idea
I agree with only 2 on the floor, and a thin strip at that.

By the time you've got to a safe place (in a car), chances are that you've bu99ered the tyre,
But even a nail, with a slow puncture, that goes flat over night on the drive and the tyre is buggered!

I play Words With Friends on the phone, more so now I'm off work for a while.
It's a game I enjoy and one that keeps me thinking.

What annoys me? Users who seem intent on using the game as some sort of chat-up site.
They play one low score initial word and then start with the messages; and they get really hacked off when you ignore them.

Bugger off!

Car insurance renewal time.... Up by £27 on last year... Compare the Market has me down £300 on last year's

Car insurance renewal time.... Up by £27 on last year... Compare the Market has me down £300 on last year's

Got a quote online for another provider before I rang them... 350 cheaper with the other company... Bloke went through everything, said the can lower it, offered it me 150 more expensive than the new company... His reasoning to the £150 difference was it being £50 less on then excess.. Asked him to increase to excess by £50 if that's what was costing me £150. That stumped him, because it lowered it by £20, stopped making excuses after that!

Changed a battery in one of the cars' remote fobs only to find that the fob then didn't seem to work. Had voltage at what seemed to be the right points on the PCB but no joy either as a plipper or a proximity doohdaah. Mrs Nod was out with the other (working) fob so couldn't get in to the car to look at the manual. Turned out that one has to re-pair the plipper to the car by starting the car with the plipper very close to the button - I used the plipper to press the button - hey, presto, a working plipper!

My boss telling me he is leaving - had a number of jobs over the years and not felt like this before, it's like someone's died! An inspirational person and will be missed!

Two things today:

1. Satnavs. Mine will tell you the fastest (point to point), the most fuel efficient, and the shortest distance. But it never goes for "the most straightforward" route.

2. Barclaycard. I love using them, their app and website etc. I normally check statements but because the app is so handy, it's easy for me to see what goes out and when. Until you want to see historic statements. I wanted to look at when I last spent money on tyres. It was more than a year ago. Barclaycard do not store online statements for more than 12 months. Which means you either need to download them as they are generated, or opt for paper statements. I bank with Natwest and they store online statements for 6 years.

1. Satnavs. Mine will tell you the fastest (point to point), the most fuel efficient, and the shortest distance. But it never goes for "the most straightforward" route.

I'm with you on that one. Yesterday we found ourselves on a single track road with a lorry coming the other way... I'm sure we were both using satnavs.

2. Barclaycard. I love using them, their app and website etc. I normally check statements but because the app is so handy, it's easy for me to see what goes out and when. Until you want to see historic statements. I wanted to look at when I last spent money on tyres. It was more than a year ago. Barclaycard do not store online statements for more than 12 months. Which means you either need to download them as they are generated, or opt for paper statements. I bank with Natwest and they store online statements for 6 years.
That's shocking. I have a savings account with them which I never really use... Is it the same if you access it via a computer? I'd better get my statements downloaded in case the taxman needs them :confused:

That's shocking. I have a savings account with them which I never really use... Is it the same if you access it via a computer? I'd better get my statements downloaded in case the taxman needs them :confused:
This is for the credit card. Both the website that you see from a PC, and the app, allow you only the last 12 months' statements on a rolling basis. I have emailed them and they are able to find specific statements FOC (presumably electronically).

Me! (Not that unusual but today, I excelled myself!!!)

Packed waterproofs in rucksack rather than wearing them just in case. Of course, it persisted down a couple of times and once I was wet, there was absolutely no point in putting them on. Besides, I would have roasted in the bright sunshine...
...against which I had completely neglected to protect myself - I would be covered by leather etc.. Except the inch between the collar of the leather jacket and the bottom of my helmet. And my nose which sticks out under the tinted visor, especially when I have the chin piece back.
Despite the annoyances and the torrential downpour (30-40% chance of showers, my arse!!! Unless I managed to get myself under a single shower from South Brent to home!), it was a great ride up over Dartmoor and I managed to drop away from the main group to visit where Mum and Dad are sprinkled at Combestone Tor. Even managed to find relatively non fattening sarnie at Buckfastleigh station's caff and a leanish burger (ye gods, that cheese looked 'orrible so an easy decision to go for a naked burger!) at the barbeque at the end of the ride. Not a massive turnout but 80 or so bikes at an average of £7.50 per bike plus any profits from badge sales should have made a few quid for the Devon Freewheelers, aka BloodBikes. Riding gear should be almost dry by the time we get back from holiday!

The a hole tailgating me on the way to work this morning. He got so close I couldn't even see his front bumper. The fact that I was doing 70 and overtaking other cars on a dual carriageway obviously didn't matter to him.
Surprisingly he got more annoyed than me when my brake lights came on. I bet he was even more annoyed when he realised someone had nicked his slide hammer and his hand was in fact empty. ;)

The a hole tailgating me on the way to work this morning. He got so close I couldn't even see his front bumper. The fact that I was doing 70 and overtaking other cars on a dual carriageway obviously didn't matter to him.
Surprisingly he got more annoyed than me when my brake lights came on. I bet he was even more annoyed when he realised someone had nicked his slide hammer and his hand was in fact empty. ;)
Yes I hate morons who do that as well

Fret not. Yorkshire police have just announced a new weapon in the fight against bad driving. Their new moto will be "You have to ask yourself: are you feeling lucky?"...

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC02609.JPG

:exit:

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed it more and more on the same stretch of road with other cars and lorries. This isn't just a case of following with too small a gap to be able to brake in time, but so close it looks like the vehicle is being towed. This is the first time in ages I have been tailgate myself. At first the bloke was just too close which was bad enough as his brakes were never going to work as well as my 4 pot calipers. But then he just got closer and closer. He would never have been able to see what was in front of me.

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed it more and more on the same stretch of road with other cars and lorries. This isn't just a case of following with too small a gap to be able to brake in time, but so close it looks like the vehicle is being towed. This is the first time in ages I have been tailgate myself. At first the bloke was just too close which was bad enough as his brakes were never going to work as well as my 4 pot calipers. But then he just got closer and closer. He would never have been able to see what was in front of me.
It’s difficult to know what to do when an idiot like that is behind you the last time it happened I flashed my fog lights on he didn’t like it but did back off

The missus was given a lift by a colleague the other week and some idiot was right up their Arse. What said idiot didn't realise was said colleague was driving an unmarked police car! A quick flick of a switch, blue lights came on and said idiot backed right off!

On the same subject, I was on my lesson the other day and another idiots was right on my Arse. As I approached some traffic lights, they turned amber, I went through, as did he. Instructor said "I'm so glad you didn't stop, there would've been a lot of paperwork!". It's one thing tailgating but to do it to a clearly liveried BSM car where a learner could easily have slammed on the brakes on seeing the amber light is absolute madness!

It’s difficult to know what to do when an idiot like that is behind you the last time it happened I flashed my fog lights on he didn’t like it but did back off
My first car was a mk3 Cortina. To select reverse you had to push down on the gear knob whilst in the neutral position and then forward as reverse was next to 1st. But the actual reverse light switch was at the end of the neutral part, so it was possible to flash the reversing lights without having to put the car in reverse. It was surprising how quick people backed off.

I have two things to complain about...

Firstly, bank accounts and specifically getting a current account and switch card.

I wanted to get a bank account and switch card for Mrs WW (she's Thai) to give her some independence so that she doesn't have to use my cards when she wants to buy something on line but apparently these days you can't have a current account and switch card if you don't have an income from work or benefits because of anti money laundering rules.

I retired over 10 years ago and although I'm not exactly a Ricard Branson I'm comfortable so I don't have to work and I receive no benefits. Mrs WW is the same, she's retired but her properties and the bulk of her money is in Thailand in bricks and mortar and investments. Neither of us can apparently open a new current account as neither of us has an income from work or benefits. We've had face to face meets with banks and they can't help (as it's all apparently due to anti money laundering rules.) They say "Where will she get her money from?" so I say I'll put the max protected amount in it, what's that... £75K? but that's no good as she apparently needs an income.

It seems odd that someone on a very low wage, maybe a couple of hours part time work or someone on the lowest state benefit payment can have a current account and switch card but someone who doesn't need an income and can live quite happily and comfortably can't. She could apparently open a savings account and I do that quite often as I move money about and you can get cards with some of these but they're not widely accepted, so the banks say. So we're stuck and she can't have a current account and switch card.

One solution would be for Mrs WW to take a part time job, set up a current account and then leave the job once the first wage has been paid in. That's one way around it... but Mrs WW wouldn't consider that as she's too moral and wouldn't mess an employer about. So we can't do it... How irritating.

Secondly.
We were ushered out of the way whilst walking in our local high street yesterday by a couple on bikes, he leading and ushering everyone out of the way and she following and towing a buggy with a child in it.

Since when did adults riding bikes on the pavement become the norm and how come they get to tell everyone to move over? It's not a overly busy road, just one lane both ways, and they should IMO be on it.

Oh, and I wont mention how arrogant and aggressive these a-holes on bikes on the pavement can be. Did I mention that? No? Good :D

Last edited:
Years ago I was walking in town on a footpath with my children (both under 10) and a 'youth' came along on his bike ringing his bell to alert people to get out of his way, as he passed me very closely I grabbed the back of his bike saddle bringing his bike to an abrupt halt while he continued forward and landed hard on his crossbar (bikes had those in years gone by). He walked away with a very pained expression on his face.......

Getting a great spot at the end of a sprint finish section of The Women’s Tour to try and get some photos of any sprint action, only for one of the tv camera men to jump off their bike and stand directly in front of me....

Mind you the race got neutralised about 200 yards up the road and got an opportunity for some further shots which was unexpected.

Back