WAMT....what annoyed me today!

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland isn't a country, England is a country and Manchester is in the north of England

OK so you want to be pedantic.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often abbreviated to the United Kingdom or simply the UK, is a sovereign State. This means that it is a fully recognised member of the United Nations.
Many people use the term “country” and “sovereign State” interchangeably. In this sense it is a country.

I will not get into the semantics over what to call each individual part of the UK but if on the BBC national news they are on about the north of the country I take that to be the UK if they are on regional news then they are taking about specific areas of the UK and the last time I looked Manchester was not in the north of the UK hence my original post.

OK so you want to be pedantic.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often abbreviated to the United Kingdom or simply the UK, is a sovereign State. This means that it is a fully recognised member of the United Nations.
Many people use the term “country” and “sovereign State” interchangeably. In this sense it is a country.

I will not get into the semantics over what to call each individual part of the UK but if on the BBC national news they are on about the north of the country I take that to be the UK if they are on regional news then they are taking about specific areas of the UK and the last time I looked Manchester was not in the north of the UK hence my original post.
Sorry, but there's a big difference between correct and pedantic.

Sorry, but there's a big difference between correct and pedantic.

Sorry but it is pedantic even the United Nations classes the UK as a country. So thank you and goodbye.

Sorry but it is pedantic even the United Nations classes the UK as a country. So thank you and goodbye.
Teddy...pram...out...:)

And FYI.... we're classed as a member state, not a country, as are all UN members.

Last edited:
I have receipts for tools I bought from Halfords in case they ever needed replacing. I had a look at the them the other day and the ink's faded completely. An email doesn't take up space and won't fade.

True.. it’s how you feel about the trade off..a forever receipt that you won’t lose and Halfords advertising dropping into your Inbox. However, the guaranteee will last only a year but as I mentioned you have proof of purchase in the event of burglary,theft or fire. Swings and roundabouts,really.

That reminds me, I got caught like that once, followed by a lot of spam.
It also more amazes me, than annoys me, now that these "sites" have to show cookie purpose, the amount of actual s*** that "you" would have been signing into.
Had you not had the option to opt out.

That's another thing that annoys me, opt out, rather than "opt in"
from minor stuff to the insurance companies, etc, that want to do me a massive favour by renewing for me, without me having to do "anything"

I do chuckle however, when that "Card" that I used the previous year has actually expired before the next renewal, and they "complain" by letter
that they have been trying to "reach me" by LL phone, ah yes that one, the one that actually doesn't have a hand set connected.
That'll be why then :D

Yes.. people really need to be on the ball re ‘auto renewal’ unless, of course they want it as a convenience but I don’t have it because I tell whoever I’m speaking to at the outset that I don’t want it. I use my computer calendar reminder. I also ask him/her to untick the box re sharing your details with other ‘’carefully selected’...lol..parties regarding what the company thinks you may be interested in. How do they know what interests they could be ? I can’t remember if the options are in an online application or not. I think they might be because they don’t ask you that over the phone nor about sharing information and I noticed that. I changed my car insurance company two years ago and when I got the documents on the back of the last page was written.You elected to auto renewal ..if you do not wish to auto-renew please call us...etc. I was annoyed because I’d told the person I was speaking to that I don’t want auto-renewal. I had to call them. My car insurance renewal is due soon and as it’s considered to be a new contract it will require me to contact them to say I don’t want auto-renewal nor the sharing of information. I do the same with the home insurance.

It’s a good while ago but I’m sure Tony Blair rejected the opportunity, from the EU, for opt-in tick boxes rather than tick to opt-out.If my recollection is correct then it musn’t have been compulsory and each member-state to their own..therefore advisory. Having said that there are the latest 2018 EU Directives on this within the Data Protection Laws. I know you don’t like members on here alluding to Brexit..lol..but it’s this kind of consumer protection and many more consumer-related issues that I fear we may lose,assuming we leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited your post, to take your reply from my quote, no charge (y) :D

How do they know what interests they could be ?
If you've looked on a comparison website for insurance, no doubt you've / we've already been bombarded with stealth cookies.
And target "things" from your browsing interests.

It’s a good while ago but I’m sure Tony Blair rejected the opportunity, from the EU, for opt-in tick boxes rather than tick to opt-out.
It wouldn't surprise me .. Another WTF idea from those in power at any given time
I know you don’t like members on here alluding to Brexit..
Brexit related threads are in Hot topics :p

Slains castle and the Bullers made for an interesting day out

An interesting coastline for wildlife and landscape all the way down to Aberdeen and beyond.

Many people may wrongly use the terms interchangeably, not that I have come across many, you would be the first. Perhaps the many should get on board with the majority and learn to tell the difference. ;)

Annoying for over a month now. The father in law. Ungrateful, miserable clumsy sod. My mother in law has just spent most of her inheritance on buying a house for them to enjoy their twilight years. Father in law has a degenerative hip mobility problem, which had relatively rendered him a hermit as they were living in a 1st floor flat. They now have a nice little house with a conservatory and a small garden, that he can use on his crutches. There is a small park just around the corner, my son lives less than 5 minutes walk away from them and there is a Tesco store 10 minute walk away and the mother in law can easily push him along in his wheelchair. The mother in law even paid to have a stairlift installed so he can safely get up and down stairs on his own. He now has freedom of movement that he hasn't had in around 15 or more years.
My sons and I have done some decorating for them, helped them move in, my wife stayed with them for the first week, helping unpack and get things straight, hurting her back in the process and now she is off work as a result. But the father in law has done nothing but moan and continues to do so. Today he has broken his stairlift. No idea how but I doubt it is the chairs fault, he has a habit of screwing up anything mechanical or electrical. Companies should employ him for durability testing, if products can survive him, they will be virtually bomb proof.
He has just been on the phone to my wife moaning he can't find his small gardening spade. It's in their garage somewhere. I wouldn't mind but he isn't capable of using it so no idea why he wants it. I guess my son will get a phone call to find it for him, get rope into doing whatever digging is required and have to listen to his moaning.
I expect the mother in law to be pushing him down the stairs before long.

An interesting coastline for wildlife and landscape all the way down to Aberdeen and beyond.
I didn't stray to far, in case I got lost and couldn't find an interpreter :p

Annoying for over a month now. The father in law. Ungrateful, miserable clumsy sod. My mother in law has just spent most of her inheritance on buying a house for them to enjoy their twilight years. Father in law has a degenerative hip mobility problem, which had relatively rendered him a hermit as they were living in a 1st floor flat. They now have a nice little house with a conservatory and a small garden, that he can use on his crutches. There is a small park just around the corner, my son lives less than 5 minutes walk away from them and there is a Tesco store 10 minute walk away and the mother in law can easily push him along in his wheelchair. The mother in law even paid to have a stairlift installed so he can safely get up and down stairs on his own. He now has freedom of movement that he hasn't had in around 15 or more years.
My sons and I have done some decorating for them, helped them move in, my wife stayed with them for the first week, helping unpack and get things straight, hurting her back in the process and now she is off work as a result. But the father in law has done nothing but moan and continues to do so. Today he has broken his stairlift. No idea how but I doubt it is the chairs fault, he has a habit of screwing up anything mechanical or electrical. Companies should employ him for durability testing, if products can survive him, they will be virtually bomb proof.
He has just been on the phone to my wife moaning he can't find his small gardening spade. It's in their garage somewhere. I wouldn't mind but he isn't capable of using it so no idea why he wants it. I guess my son will get a phone call to find it for him, get rope into doing whatever digging is required and have to listen to his moaning.

Commiserations. That sounds difficult [emoji853]

God, that sounds so similar to my father in law... I feel your pain but now have pretty much nothing to do with him.

Commiserations. That sounds difficult [emoji853]
God, that sounds so similar to my father in law... I feel your pain but now have pretty much nothing to do with him.
Cheers.
I try to have as little to do with my father in law and struggle to tolerate him at times. I have a feeling other people are beginning to see him as I do and It's getting them down and causing arguments. My wife now has the hump with my eldest son because he has said he has stuff of his own to do and can't be at his grandparents assistance every time they want something.
Since moving into their new home and we have been there to help them settle in, everyone has been managing to make themselves scarce and leaving me to deal with him. The other week everyone else had gone off to Tesco and I got left behind as Sky were due to connect them up to their dish and someone had to let them in and father in law isn't quick on his crutches. Two Sky technicians turned up and one of them was a young lady in her 20's. A young 20 something woman is not a good combination for someone like my father in law. I felt so embarrassed for her and myself when he made a bit of a condescending remark when she announced she was going outside to climb up her ladder to do something to the dish. I guessed from her tone and answer she wasn't best pleased with his chauvinistic remark. The Sky engineers had gone by the time everyone else returned from Tesco. Then he starts moaning about the sandwiches the mother in law had bought him. Then he starts moaning about his sky catch up not working even though the Sky technicians had explained that because they had an old style router there would be a delay on the WiFi connection. To top it all he starts referring to the Sky woman as The Female. The mother in law was giving him some right dirty looks.

Windows 7 updates
Hangs when at 100% completion
Hangs at failure to update
And now on last good configuration

I lost 30 mins work time here just to get my laptop up and running so I can find a few photos.

Parcelfarce

I ordered something from America. I've been busy with dying relative so not kept track of things but decided to have a look today. Parcelfarce had attempted delivery last week. No card left otherwise I would have rearranged delivery. The tracking number won't work as it's US based. After faffing around with different options, I find it's been left at a distant post office. There were four that were closer to me.

I'm hoping I can collect with email and ID as I have no card to collect.

In my experience, they tend to be a bit bloody minded about the no-card-no-collection rule.
I've had to let stuff get RTS'd then pay to get it sent again because they didn't give me a card, then wouldn't give me the parcel. Mad.gif

(Then there was the fight with the counter muppet who wouldn't give me the parcel until I showed them Tori's ID because mine said Victoria...)

In my experience, they tend to be a bit bloody minded about the no-card-no-collection rule.
I don't mind having to go to the post office except there's normally a card to take with me. I've rung the parcelfarce helpline. Either I can try and attempt collection without the card, or I can re-arrange delivery (bearing in mind I wouldn't be home any way).

If you re-arrange delivery, they may actually leave a card next time.
IIRC the PF people are within their rights to refuse your collection without one (I recall seeing signs stating that).

Last edited:
Parcelfarce had attempted delivery last week. No card left
I had something similar, when I checked it said attempted delivery at XX time.
That was a lie, as I was gardening out front 15 mins either side of that time.
I took the tracking screen shot and my passport, to the depot, and asked to speak to the duty manager.
It seems that "driver" was back in the depot, well before the attempted time, as he was off on holiday!

I got the goods no problem. (I didn't even have to swear that much :D )

Ordered a lens last week and Jessops are still waiting for it to be delivered to the store, stupid delivery lot :mad::mad:
It’s the race to the bottom, I’m afraid. We used to have a national carrier that trained, equipped and managed people to provide a reliable delivery service. Then someone thought it would be a good idea to encourage privately run competitors (who would not, by the way, be obliged to meet the universal service obligations of the national carrier). Then someone else thought it would be an even better idea to sell off the national carrier... :thinking:

It’s the race to the bottom, I’m afraid. We used to have a national carrier that trained, equipped and managed people to provide a reliable delivery service. Then someone thought it would be a good idea to encourage privately run competitors.....
..... And now we have parcel carriers who give you a 1-hour slot for your delivery - or, in some cases, allow you to choose your own 1-hour slot - and hit that slot 99% of the time. Who allow you to track your delivery driver on the internet so that as he approaches you can refine the ETA down to 15 minutes. Who give you control over what the driver should do if you're out (deliver to neighbour? leave in shed? etc). Who deliver 7 days a week. Who can reconfigure their route planning software (avoid steep hills, allow more time between stops, etc.) so as to maintain their service levels in adverse weather. And all this at prices that are cheaper than they were 25 years ago.

My glass is half full. Yours is half empty.

..... And now we have parcel carriers who give you a 1-hour slot for your delivery - or, in some cases, allow you to choose your own 1-hour slot - and hit that slot 99% of the time. Who allow you to track your delivery driver on the internet so that as he approaches you can refine the ETA down to 15 minutes. Who give you control over what the driver should do if you're out (deliver to neighbour? leave in shed? etc). Who deliver 7 days a week. Who can reconfigure their route planning software (avoid steep hills, allow more time between stops, etc.) so as to maintain their service levels in adverse weather. And all this at prices that are cheaper than they were 25 years ago.

And do so while making a profit. Why do they not all do that? There are still people say that delivery will probably be Thursday.

And do so while making a profit. Why do they not all do that? There are still people say that delivery will probably be Thursday.

The issue many carriers have is that dpd in particular built their infrastructure from the ground up with this service in mind, most of the others have legacy it systems from before it was thought up and the technical reconfiguration/integration across, their customers databases, every hub, scanner, call centre, different divisions etc etc would cost hundreds of thousands if not millions.

If you re-arrange delivery, they may actually leave a card next time.
IIRC the PF people are within their rights to refuse your collection without one (I recall seeing signs stating that).
Well I managed to pick it up in the end. Went to the Post Office. No record of it. So they had a look for it by surname in the storage area and found it. USPS used one tracking number and ParcelForce used another number. Photo ID (drivers license) was enough to collect item.

Just got to wait for the door (UK based), and I can get my dishwasher.

True - no business is faultless, and when you consider the amount of packages a company handles, not every one will be smooth. Some companies do deliver within an hours slot and get instant notification (if its at work).

The whole your life has to be lived on line thing is annoying me today because the tech just doesn't work well enough.

We've had horrendous problems getting Mrs WW a basic bank account (we're both "retired" and therefore don't have a wage and aren't on benefits) and in fact we'd given up until the bank started sending letter after letter to us so we trotted along and although our circumstances haven't changed and last time we tried to open an account the computer said no this time it said yes. So, we sat with a nice lady and she bashed away at the computer and sent Mrs WW an email containing her password / secure key / whatever but it never arrived so she sent and other and another... 4 in total and none arrived at Mrs WW phone although we were sat just across the table. Mrs WW and the nice lady both checked the in box, the junk box and the security settings etc and could see no reason why it didn't work. So the nice lady gave up and said she'd send us a letter containing the password thingy. When we got home all four emails suddenly appeared and non of the passwords worked so we can only hope and assume that the one that comes through the post will.

And... today I tried to pay my credit card bill which should be simples but they've ended their credit card service (RBS) and I now need to log on to internet banking, fair enough, but you can't pay on the RBS site and you have to go to your bank (HSBC) and do a transfer and of course if you want to see both pages and check the transactions they'll both time out at just the wrong time... PITA! Plus something at HSBC has recently changed and the site just gives the spinning wheel of death when using my usual browser so I have to remember to use another. PITA. And today I can't do any transactions as the secure key device has died and I haven't received the new one though the post yet. PITA.

In the movies and on TV you see computers working at lightening speed but in reality much of the time they're a time wasting PITA pile of sh1t. IMVHO.

I'm not really a believer in forcing everyone to do everything on line as much of the time it just doesn't work well enough, some of the time it just doesn't work at all and all of the time it disenfranchises some people who couldn't do all this by themselves or who don't have easy access to a computer and the net.

Deep breath and a cup of tea...

Reactions: BBR
today i was supposed to have my 360Mbit broadband installed through virgin media so waited in for the engineer to arrive which never happened
spoke to customer services around 5:45pm asking whats happened to my installation to be told the engineer had called twice yesterday and got no reply so cancelled the appointment. looking through my call history no such calls had been made and made that quite clear to whoever i was speaking to.
more wasted time on the phone getting nowhere i decided to hang up and try again, this time the excuse was the engineer had texted me to confirm the appointment and received a text reply saying no so the appointment was cancelled.
both times a was given the excuse i asked which number they called / texted, the number was my existing virgin landline which iv'e had for years and has been an incoming calls only line ( we have a bt line for outgoing or mobile phone ) and cannot be used for outgoing calls
when i tried to get the customer service person on the end of the line to explain to me how i could possibly have replied to a txt on my landline which is incoming calls only and why there was no unrecognised numbers my call history they had to agree it was b******t .
it's being fitted on monday we shall see

iv'e put in a complaint not because it wasn't fitted on the day which would have been nice it's because of the crap excuses used why it wasn't fitted trying to pass the blame on to me by saying i wasn't available or said no

fine start to a new contract, if this is a taste of whats to come i'm gonna be having a few arguments over the phone probably starting on the 26th of july when they bill me for a service i havn't got yet

We've always had ok service from Virgin so it possibly comes down to how good or bad the staff are in your area.

Hope it gets sorted, on time this time.

Back