What have you done with your camera today

So far I've spent a little while today just trying to get faster, going from indoors to outdoors quickly, changing settings and getting a shot.
I know this will come naturally over time, but feel it can't hurt to make myself try and do it from time to time.
Why? 1) what happens outside your house that is so fast? and 2) won't the camera do that for you - apart from aiming the camera?

Photographed some aquatic critters. Now I am retired, I spend one day a month surveying a stretch of chalk stream in the Lincolnshire wolds for water purity - this involves a timed kick sample and then I count the critters that I catch. I thought I would try to photograph them with my new micro-4/3 macro lens (and micro-4/3 camera,of course). This was quite hard as the critters had to stay under water which messed with the auto-focus system and the damned critters wouldn't stay still. (yes, I could have tried manual focus and will next time but I did not think of it on this occasion). The bottom two critters are about 3 mm long.View attachment 238148View attachment 238149View attachment 238150
Fascinating!

I’m a volunteeer photographer for the National Trust. Today we had 24 6-8 year olds on a “Kids with Cameras” day. The idea was to enthuse the kids with the idea of taking pictures, but help them to improve their shots by thinking about what they were taking pictures of, why they were taking particular pictures and generally help them get better shots. They were using everything from a decent Canon DSLR borrowed from daddy, to mummy’s phone).

Looking at the world through the eyes of a bright 8 year old (as opposed to those of a world weary 65 year old) was a real revelation and I actually felt inspired to look at “old” things (ie things I’ve looked at many times) with new eyes. If you’re feeling a bit jaded photographically, I recommend taking the kids/grandkids out with a camera to get a fresh look at the world.

Trying out Birds in Flight.

Getting one that had landed for a reason.

P3230152.jpg

Took my camcorder out to get used again after a long time to do a walking video. Well it kinda went ok withour any stablisation except I balls up somewhat on having it pointing too much to the ground. The object was to carry it at a lowish level so as not to be obvious As i said,or did I, it was a tryout for our Japan trip a bit later on. Somehow or other it didn't start until about 15 seconds in, my editing blunder. Taken in our local small wood. So have a laugh at my expense

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BezAMgiaPRc&t=11s

Last edited:
I practiced indoors in the games room, taking some pictures of my pool table/ pool balls up close, far away, and experimenting with DOF. Basic stuff for most people here I guess but I had fun.

Why? 1) what happens outside your house that is so fast? and 2) won't the camera do that for you - apart from aiming the camera?
1) I explained that badly lol. I meant going from the kitchen, which is dark, to the outside, which was bright on the day. 2) Also the camera is still fairly new to me, so I meant faster as in remembering the button I need to hold/ the menu setting I need to change. I've been using A,S and M mode a lot and trying to change things to get the image how I want it too look (or at least somewhere close, I'm new to all this).

I’m a volunteeer photographer for the National Trust. Today we had 24 6-8 year olds on a “Kids with Cameras” day. The idea was to enthuse the kids with the idea of taking pictures, but help them to improve their shots by thinking about what they were taking pictures of, why they were taking particular pictures and generally help them get better shots.
Well that's a really good one, since I was asked by a warden to stop taking photos at a National Trust property that I'd paid to enter. When I asked her why, she couldn't answer. And their restrictive practices I've since found are well-known. Partly on this basis I rarely visit NT sites (another reason being that many of them might be historical but were also built as decadent follies of the over-wealthy). Give me the vernacular any day.

So if you're doing this on NT property, presumably these kids are allowed to bend the rules, and not told that when they grow up they won't be allowed to?

Psshaaw!

Last edited:
Camera? Today? Took it's memory card out and viewed my snaps ...

Yippee!

Well that's a really good one, since I was asked by a warden to stop taking photos at a National Trust property that I'd paid to enter. When I asked her why, she couldn't answer. And their restrictive practices I've since found are well-known.

So if you're doing this on NT property, presumably these kids are allowed to bend the rules, and not told that when they grow up they won't be allowed to?

Psshaaw!

Some NT properties restrict the use of flash, tripods and certain other photographic stuff which may have a detrimental effect on the property, its contents or the general “visitor experience” of other visitors. As far as I know visitors are allowed to take pics if they chose within the bounds of those restrictions. (Tripods are a trip hazard and damage floors, flash annoys people and could damage delicate/light sensitive artefacts etc etc). I would be interested to know where you were and what you were doing to elicit this response?

In my own case, I volunteer at the property as a photographer. In that role we get asked to photograph events and visitors as part of the marketing team at the property and also to support the conservation work which goes on there. There are no restrictions on taking pictures anywhere. However, if I take a picture of you (as a visitor) I would have to ask you to sign a model release. The kids in question were part of a regular programme of photography related activities supported by the volunteer team - we do photo walks, kids with cameras sessions and other things involving visitors. I’m at a loss to know why you had this experience. If the person involved was a volunteer, I would suggest they were misguided or misinformed. If they were a member of staff, then I would certainly want to know why they told you to stop as I can’t think of any situation where a paying visitor would be asked not to take photographs subject to the above unless you were stepping over barrier ropes (my property has alarms under the rugs to alert staff to people going where they shouldn’t), upsetting people, causing a hazard or generally being a nuisance.

Certain things like commercial fashion shoots for example, require a licence on NT property (and a fee, of course). Could they have thought you were doing that?

Certain things like commercial fashion shoots for example, require a licence on NT property (and a fee, of course). Could they have thought you were doing that?
No. I had a hand-held dslr, no entourage or human subjects in view. I think that you might be naive in suggesting that "there are no restrictions on taking pictures anywhere". Previous threads on this site have strongly said otherwise, with the drift being that the NT is commercially paranoid to a degree that prevents even an amateur taking a photo on or even OF their premises from without. How they might police this is a mystery in the smartphone age.

In this light, the NT organisation doesn't come over as a preservation agency for the good of the people, but more as a capitalist enterprise with its own agenda.

Take your pick, read the signs ...

Last edited:
Many years ago photographs in NT properties weren't allowed, but that was relaxed several years ago, unless that has been a change more recently. I haven't been to an NT property for a couple of years, though have seen nothing mentioned in the literature that they send me. Commercial is different, so I suspect the volunteer was in error.

....... the NT is commercially paranoid to a degree that prevents even an amateur taking a photo on or even OF their premises from without. How they might police this is a mystery in the smartphone age.

In this light, the NT organisation doesn't come over as a preservation agency for the good of the people, but more as a capitalist enterprise with its own agenda.

It saddens me immensely to admit this, but I totally agree with you. Whilst I willingly volunteer my time and skills at “my” property, I do this for the love of the place and to support my volunteer colleagues, not to support the NT as such.

Back in the day, the NT was a respected charitable organisation with laudable objectives. Now, it has become a money oriented, greedy corporate entity driven by the same budgets and targets as any commercial enterprise you care to name. To me the utter dishonesty of this sea change in their ethos is sickening. The changes being wrought at “my” property are little short of rape and pillage of the very highest order. (OK .... getting of my high horse now ....).

On the subject of photography and NT images .... they have a photo library which it makes commercially available to anyone who wants to pay for the use of any image. Therefore, if you are photographed at a property and sign a model release, you may find your image used by anyone, for any purpose. I’m not sure people realise that.

No. I had a hand-held dslr, no entourage or human subjects in view. I think that you might be naive in suggesting that "there are no restrictions on taking pictures anywhere". Previous threads on this site have strongly said otherwise, with the drift being that the NT is commercially paranoid to a degree that prevents even an amateur taking a photo on or even OF their premises from without. How they might police this is a mystery in the smartphone age.

From the NT web site:
"Visitor Photography

Out of doors at NT properties

All visitors to National Trust properties are allowed to take photographs out of doors for their own private use. Any requests from individuals wishing to sell or publish photographs should be directed to images@nationaltrust.org.uk

Indoors at NT Properties

Amateur photography (including filming) without flash is now permitted in historic interiors at the Property or General Manager's discretion. As with outdoor photography, any photographs taken are strictly for private use, and enquiries about selling or publishing photographs should be directed to images@nationaltrust.org.uk."

I have never personally been asked/told that I can't take pictures at any NT location and have never seen/heard anyone else being treated in that way either. I became a member of the Trust purely on the basis that photography is permitted.

Bought my boy an A6000 & 12mm f/2 so we can go out shooting night skies (he has a telescope too) so I've spent the past few days trying to teach him the basics of camera operation & then as a too-long-to-remember Lightroom user I've been trying to teach him Capture One Express..... That's fun..... :) :) Tomorrow is basic image blending in Photoshop & then he's on his own for a bit...... (The kids live with their mum)

Still, it keeps him out of trouble & gives him a good (expensive) interest.

Been out to various locations (top secret) in the Black Country/ Shropshire areas with my top of the range Kodak fun saver disposable camera trying to find the winning photos for the TP disposable challenge ! It really is quite nice to not have to worry about what settings to use, I may not be feeling this way when I see the Photos !

Flashed some frogs

BER12249-Bearbeitet.jpg

Last edited:
Used it to expose six frames of 5x4 sheet film which atm are still sat in the film holders waiting to be developed.

This weekend (rather than today) I put it in the boot of my car, took it out, took no photos then put it away, followed by the same pattern but whilst with @minx who was out looking for shots for her 52.

A bit of a contrast to the previous weekend where I took over 1200 cosplay shots...

Hey kell @Kell ... just seen your posts from Feb/March with shots from in and around Hyde Park ... truly excellent. :cool:

photographed Glen Shee in very dull light and light mist. Then to Braemar where the light improvred somewhat. Cannot judge the results on the camera's screen so will have to wait until I get home.

This is what happens when you're bored and it's hailing outside

46799369564_5eb9f400b3_b.jpg

02.jpg

Used a lens cap (for the 50mm on the Minotla X-700) to unscrew/screw the battery cover on the Apple wireless keyboard. Why bother looking for a coin when the lens cap would do nicely?

A few shots at a Guiness world record attempt at Elvington for a parade of Mazdas then a seperate parade of converible MX5s hopefully 1400 plus, I'm 4th from front left hand side

IMG_20190428_172028_650.jpgIMG_20190428_172327_236.jpg

The sun going down. Taken with a Panasonic TZ70. These pocket cameras may not be technically perfect but they're there when you need them...

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H05 P1030218.JPG

Didn't take any photos today, just editing. I went on a trip to London yesterday on my own with my camera just to actually spend a day taking photos as this is something I haven't done yet- set aside a day to spend just doing that.

I'm happy with a lot of things I got, although I feel I can make them more 'mine' by spending time with the raw files. I just need to spend time learning how to use darktable- I'm getting results I am happy with using Nikons own NX-D software, but worry it may limit me a bit in what I can do?

I to originally went out with my dogs to check out the woodland autumn colours but as the woodland is near this air field (Half Penny Green) I thought I'd pop in, The air field also houses a Antique shop where I have brought a few film cameras from in the past so I checked that out as well.

Last edited:
Back