What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

I've got a big decision to make .

My 5d4 is going to be replaced under guarantee (I think) with a new one, following a fault that seems to be un - repairable. So do I sell the new one "unused, as new" and get max price for it, and take the plunge with an Olympus OM1 Mk2 system ?

I'm concerned by all I have read and heard about Olympus menus. If they are as bad as people say , it would drive me round the bend.

My 5d4 is going to be replaced under guarantee (I think) with a new one, following a fault that seems to be un - repairable. So do I sell the new one "unused, as new" and get max price for it, and take the plunge with an Olympus OM1 Mk2 system ?

I'm concerned by all I have read and heard about Olympus menus. If they are as bad as people say , it would drive me round the bend.

It, compared to Canon, is the epitome of s computer with a lens attached.

IMO it does some getting to grips with but I also use the 3 custom "saves' that does help when changing situations arise.

HTH ;)

It’s 11:25 and the posty is due to arrive before 1pm with my new Fuji X-T3 and 18-55 Lens.
my D750 spends more time at home now due to its weight so though a smaller lighter camera would be used more. ( I’ve been here a few times!)
If this camera measures up, my Nikon kit might be for sale soon.

It, compared to Canon, is the epitome of s computer with a lens attached.

IMO it does some getting to grips with but I also use the 3 custom "saves' that does help when changing situations arise.

HTH ;)

No, what I really want is for someone (preferably everyone) to say - no, take no notice of the naysayers, its easy.

For an old dog like me........ new tricks....... eeerrrrr.........

No, what I really want is for someone (preferably everyone) to say - no, take no notice of the naysayers, its easy.

No, take no notice of the naysayers, its easy, just do it. :LOL:
Oh Im not using Olympus BTW

Last edited by a moderator:

Menu's rarely get used in cameras these days.

I use Sony which is another brand that gets knocked for menus. But with all the customisations available on the bodies these days, I haven't gone in to the menus since the first week after I actually bought the camera! So who cares :p

But I am not sure how you will like moving from full frame to m43. I personally didn't like it much for my main body.

Last edited:

Take no notice of the anti mFT Olympus naysayers :)

But you could try an Olympus WoW test drive or even do a hire from Lensforhire to settle your mind on it.

As for old dog, don't be so bl***y cheeky....ooops! I see you were talking about yourself ;)

PS after I got mine my brother got the same Oly twin zoom kit.....he is a tad computer "short- tempered" and he has managed it AOK bearing in mind he uses it for most of his paid work.

Take no notice of the anti mFT Olympus naysayers :)

But you could try an Olympus WoW test drive or even do a hire from Lensforhire to settle your mind on it.

As for old dog, don't be so bl***y cheeky....ooops! I see you were talking about yourself ;)

PS after I got mine my brother got the same Oly twin zoom kit.....he is a tad computer "short- tempered" and he has managed it AOK bearing in mind he uses it for most of his paid work.

That's reassuring to know. A test drive seems like a good idea. I wonder if they do mail order........

Edit: probably not.........

Last edited:
Menu's rarely get used in cameras these days.

I use Sony which is another brand that gets knocked for menus. But with all the customisations available on the bodies these days, I haven't gone in to the menus since the first week after I actually bought the camera! So who cares :p

But I am not sure how you will like moving from full frame to m43. I personally didn't like it much for my main body.

I've been using a Canon M5 as well as various Canon full frame bodies. TBH I don't find the M5 very satisfying to use compared to DSLR. So it IS a big decision.

That's reassuring to know. A test drive seems like a good idea. I wonder if they do mail order........

Edit: probably not.........

But http://lensesforhire.co.uk/ deliver ;)

Yes, unlike the free test drive, hiring will cost but as you say it is a big decision.....so spending a few £'s to be sure makes sense?

Much smaller sensor is much smaller sensor and nothing is going to change that. I'd be OK with it as a backup, maybe 2nd backup or incidental camera, but no more.

Im resisting the urge to chop all my pentax and canon stuff in for a Sony A74 IV ... only thing that puts me off is the weather sealing / resistance. My K-1 works in all environments.

My A7RIII works fine in UK rain and snow.
A7RIV is supposedly better.

Much smaller sensor is much smaller sensor and nothing is going to change that. I'd be OK with it as a backup, maybe 2nd backup or incidental camera, but no more.

I used to use a LX100(ii) which I really liked. The lens wasn't as good as the one in my RX100m3 (hated using that body though).
But made for decent back up. I am kinda stuck between APS-C fixed lens body vs. LX100ii vs. just buying another body for back up. I used the RX1RII for a little while too.

Lusting for a 100-400 for the fuji. Not likely to get it any time within the next year...

So considering trading in the fuji kit for a 5diii, 400mm 5.6 and a 24/28mm prime. But that's a bit ambitious also...

Got proper GAS over the Godox AD200 pro, it’s not even that expensive and its been annoying me for weeks now.
The real kicker, I don’t ever use flash :thinking: :banghead:

I'm saving up for a used Canon L lens but not sure whether to go for the 24 - 70mm or the 24 - 105mm.
My 24-70 stays glued to my 5D4 most of the time. It's a good point about the focal length; I guess it depends on what you shoot.

Today I bought a camera bag - I now have more camera bags than cameras but it will be amazing for travelling and trecking with. I now have two 645z's - and 4 lenses to go with - and none of them are what you would describe as small :D
shouldn't use small and 645z in the same sentence :p

i am intrigued, what lenses have you got for it?

TBH, I've always liked the 645...

In less socially distanced times I'd offer you the chance to try mine at a spot like Glencoe, Kepies or something...

In all honesty it's the best camera I've ever had. I thought the Nikon D810 was logical and straight forward (I like buttons, not menues and submenues). It's the most simple and easy thing to use. A particular highlight is the two tripod mounts, switching between portrait and landscape has never been easier.

Price wise it's cheaper than the 50mp mirrorless Fuji, and eBay the lenses. The 80-160 and 200 F4 were both under £250 delivered from Japan and spotless/as new. Wex will do you a new body for £3699 and do a 2yr warranty on it - so nearly as good as Panamoz in this regard.

It's a highly lovable camera....but big...you need a big bag. The 28-45 is 70-200 2.8 mass wise, the others are pretty small and light.

In less socially distanced times I'd offer you the chance to try mine at a spot like Glencoe, Kepies or something...

In all honesty it's the best camera I've ever had. I thought the Nikon D810 was logical and straight forward (I like buttons, not menues and submenues). It's the most simple and easy thing to use. A particular highlight is the two tripod mounts, switching between portrait and landscape has never been easier.

Price wise it's cheaper than the 50mp mirrorless Fuji, and eBay the lenses. The 80-160 and 200 F4 were both under £250 delivered from Japan and spotless/as new. Wex will do you a new body for £3699 and do a 2yr warranty on it - so nearly as good as Panamoz in this regard.

It's a highly lovable camera....but big...you need a big bag. The 28-45 is 70-200 2.8 mass wise, the others are pretty small and light.

price of the fuji bodies are coming down, give it another year and they will be around FF prices. the main issue is the price of the glass. for the Pentax you can get great glass for not very much money in terms of the quality you get. no such option available on fuji.... I guess you could always adapt some glass though.

price of the fuji bodies are coming down, give it another year and they will be around FF prices. the main issue is the price of the glass. for the Pentax you can get great glass for not very much money in terms of the quality you get. no such option available on fuji.... I guess you could always adapt some glass though.

For the pentax I built a 2 body, 3 zooms lens/1 long prime system for under £12k. That's down to the discount at Wex - but the ready supply of good used lenses. If I added up the price of say 2x Z7ii - the z 20mmf1.8 and 24-70 and 70-2002.8 - would I really be any cheaper - and I am up 5mp and into the SLR form I like so much.

The Fuji system is newer - so the lenses are a lot more expensive, used. Can't seem to find new grey ones - so new from Wex is as good as it gets given the dearth of used ones on supply. They're not too pricey compared to UK priced G master, Gold Ring Nikons etc but no way could you put together an MF system from them for this outlay - not if you want two bodies.

The Fuji 100-200, 45-100 zooms would be my first buy as they cover the field of view of a huge amount I shoot - the 32-64 would be a logical choice but a sample image showed up very mushy corners and at this price point I expect pixel perfect edge to edge sharpness everywhere. There's a lovely 23mm prime and 30mm prime they do though and that's what I'd buy - but they are both really expensive at over £2k each....and there isn't much change from £4k for the 100-200 and 45-100. There's thus nigh on £8000 on there in glass, and one 100mp body is £5500 - and I'd want two ideally. Even two 50mp bodies (£3900 currently) takes us over £15k...I don't see the 100mp MF Fuji ever being priced close to £2000 - maybe £3800 after 5yrs of being on sale...but by then it won't seem such revelation with 100mp - as FF tech marches on. In five years there will be more nice used lenses out there and if the bodies aren't so pricey - that seems a good time to look at this system. For me...now is not that time.

And I still prefer the 645z layout - it just works for me so damned well and I've just kinda wanted one for a long time. Now I have two - lucky me :D - wing on a prayer is they'll also update this with 100mp in the fullness of time - but 50mp is not in any way lacking - and as it's on a larger sensor you do get all the detail out as the glass doesn't have to work nearly so hard.

Last edited:
Looking for something to keep my two spare batteries in. Sort of like a slim leather wallet. Should not set me back too much.

Sony 20mm f1.8 my next buy. Then the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 SE.

Possibly an X100 of some sort, possibly an X100F. Just depends how the financial side of things work out.

My next purchase? Doubtful but..........

It should be a dream to own and to all intents and purposes, an awesome piece of kit. The proof of the pudding as they say but I wouldn't mind trying it.

At close to 10k for it and some glass though, I don't see it happening anytime soon and still only geared to landscapes really for my tastes.

For no reason whatsoever

a Leica Q

Back