What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

Lust #2 would be a Fuji MF kit but to be honest it would be a huge overkill for me, however, once these lockdowns are lifted and I'm free to roam away from home ....

I would recommend - only advice I'll give you based on a sample image - avoid the 32-64 and on another medium format forum I am on someone said the 100-200 zoom is a bit of a dog. All the other lenses are apparently stellar. For 5k you are getting a 100mp camera and whilst the array of lenses aren't massive - for landscapers it seems perfect. The 23mm, 30mm and 45-100 would be a great trio of shortish lenses to work with on that system,

Don't delay.

you can cut it down from 48 to 36mp and less if required have a read at the manual its free to download

Really? Would anyone really buy a £3,000+ 48mp camera just to make it worse rather than buy a 24mp once that's perfect for the job and less than 1/2 the price?

Get real bud

Dave

I am seriously considering a Z7ii, think it will be fine for occasional weddings alongside my D750. Considered the Z6ii as well but I am being drawn by the additional resolution form the 7. Still not 100% sold either way yet though

When EVER has 24mp not been enough???

The Z7ii will accentuate any camera shake or subject movement meaning far more pixels of a less sharp image

No-one EVER needs this high a resolution from a Wedding image that will only at best see an A4/A3 spread in an album

My largest ever print from a Wedding image was A2 from a cropped 12mp image and it was awesome, I'd happily do A1/A0 or bigger from any of my D750 images

Save your money and buy a Z6ii and a Z lens or two :)

Dave

When EVER has 24mp not been enough???

The Z7ii will accentuate any camera shake or subject movement meaning far more pixels of a less sharp image

No-one EVER needs this high a resolution from a Wedding image that will only at best see an A4/A3 spread in an album

My largest ever print from a Wedding image was A2 from a cropped 12mp image and it was awesome, I'd happily do A1/A0 or bigger from any of my D750 images

Save your money and buy a Z6ii and a Z lens or two :)

Dave

I agree when talking purely about weddings, it’s why I am still undecided as to which I’ll actually go for since I don’t do loads of weddings (although I would like to do more) so it’s more about getting a camera that will cope with weddings without them being the primary function for it. What doesn’t help is I keep watching fototripper videos on YouTube and the detail coming out of the higher res sensor on the a7r iv he uses keeps making me look again at the z7 ii.

Think if I went z6 ii I would add the 85mm f1.8 to the shopping list too in fairness

Last edited:
Really? Would anyone really buy a £3,000+ 48mp camera just to make it worse rather than buy a 24mp once that's perfect for the job and less than 1/2 the price?

Get real bud

Dave

thats like saying why buy a car than can do more than 70mph !!
remember it has a total silent mode just what a real pro wedding tog should have or wildlife photographer like me total silence
some people appreciate the extra resolution as you can really crop in with all those extra megapixels saves buying longer lens's plus you can put it into dx mode
and still have 20mp
its our choice what we spend our money on
im happy to spend £3k+ for my hobby no problem every year
and the same again on accessories its called Gas

so you get real bud

i would really like is the z7 mk2 and the nikon 120-300 lens for wildlife

I just got a Canon EOS RP, so I'm now after the RF 24-105L to replace my EF version.

Trying to find an M42 24mm (under £50) for my most recent purchase - a Fujifilm XT10 Loving those old manual lenses
I'm surprised how expensive these seem to be on ebay. Might be worth widening your search to common manual focus bayonet mounts and buying another adapter as required.

I would recommend - only advice I'll give you based on a sample image - avoid the 32-64 and on another medium format forum I am on someone said the 100-200 zoom is a bit of a dog. All the other lenses are apparently stellar. For 5k you are getting a 100mp camera and whilst the array of lenses aren't massive - for landscapers it seems perfect. The 23mm, 30mm and 45-100 would be a great trio of shortish lenses to work with on that system,

Don't delay.

Hi Steve, is this referring to GF32-64? If so must have been a one-off. The lens is awesome, I just learned I’ve won a competition with a pic taken using it.

Hi Steve, is this referring to GF32-64? If so must have been a one-off. The lens is awesome, I just learned I’ve won a competition with a pic taken using it.
Aye it was a sample image I came across with smeary sides - worse than my 24-70 2.8 mk1. It was really quite bad and not what I'd expect from a £2200 lens. Certainly the Pentax 28-45 I have doesn't behave like this.

Hopefully just a bad copy and given the sensor shape (4:3) I found it odd as the edges of the image circle won't be reached by the sensor due to its shape - its more an issue on 3:2 shaped sensors.

Right - I decided to take a picture of a lovely wood pigeon today but 200mm on full frame doesn't cover it. I'm kinda a bit in the sticks but there's some lovely birds big and small nearby that I'd enjoy photographing during lockdown.

The hunt is on for a used 200-500 or one of those big sigma/tamron 150-600 things to play with. It would also come in handy for the old landscape or two

The hunt is on for a used 200-500 or one of those big sigma/tamron 150-600 things to play with. It would also come in handy for the old landscape or two

I have a Tamron 150-600 Canon mount.
Although it is faulty, can only get sharp images when shooting single shot, blurry like ICM images when on continuous, its a great lens.
Image quality is quite good as is the stabilization.
I shot this Otter at 1/25s hand held
Incidentally, the otter had just emerged hence no detail in the coat and its third eyelid is still closed ;)

Otter With Prey by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

I'm contemplating going back to the future and buying an old Fuji X-T20 body to make up a second camera. I'm presently experimenting with all sorts of old manual lenses while my lovely Fuji lens sits neglected. A second body for a good price could be the answer.

Camtraptions Wireless PIR Motion Sensor V3, so that I can shoot my local wildlife in the early hours......whilst i'm asleep!

Still a bit worried about leaving my D500 and Godox Flash systems out in the local countryside though. :eek:

Secured that 200-500 I was after.

Stumped now for GAS. Really stumped.

Ah, a cable release for the Pentax 645z - there is a quirk with the wonder camera is it only has 2secs or 10 secs self timer release. 2secs isn't long enough to remove slight shake when you press the shutter, 10secs is yawn. 5 secs is perfect and what I used on the Nikons. Looks like a cable release needed.

My next purchase is going to be a Sony FE 28mm f1.8, as I’m curious about using one for street photography, and they can be picked up relatively cheaply second hand. Also, I’m thinking about changing my username...Not ‘Nikon’ Nick anymore [emoji6]

I now have the 28mm 1.8 so my gas is relieved...as it were.

IMG_20210225_1554571.jpg

Does this count? I'm telling you, there will be no stopping me now.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a 100-400 (Sigma/Tamron), but I'm not sure how much I'd use or like it. I have a 70-200 2.8, it's my go-to lens and it's fantastically sharp, and I also have the Sigma 150-600C which is pretty sharp too. I was kind of thinking, it would bridge the gap between the 70-200 and the Sigma but without the size/weight.

My pure lust item is the Z6ii. Ah well, keep buying those lottery tickets! ;)

Excellent combination ;)
I received it yesterday and it does feel good and readily locked onto gardens birds. I will have to give it a proper test when we are released on 29th March. I will also set up some some feeders and twigs with a suitable background and catch a few garden birds before tackling one of the local Kingfishers. Last time I shot it (October) it was fine but too small in the frame.

Dave

A lens hood for my Nikon 18 -140mm.....little things mean a lot!

I'm thinking of getting a 100-400 (Sigma/Tamron), but I'm not sure how much I'd use or like it. I have a 70-200 2.8, it's my go-to lens and it's fantastically sharp, and I also have the Sigma 150-600C which is pretty sharp too. I was kind of thinking, it would bridge the gap between the 70-200 and the Sigma but without the size/weight.

My pure lust item is the Z6ii. Ah well, keep buying those lottery tickets! ;)
If you don't think you will use it and you don't think you will like it, why on earth are you thinking about buying it?

Just purchased a Peak Design Everyday Sling, and a new MacBook Pro for editing, to replace my absolute snail of a Windows PC [emoji1303]

Just purchased a Peak Design Everyday Sling, and a new MacBook Pro for editing, to replace my absolute snail of a Windows PC [emoji1303]
I've used the sling (10L model) for the last 5 years, ever since going over to mirrorless...very happy with it, and it is perfect for my needs. As for MacBook Pro, the same applies, migrated from Windows some 7 years ago and have never had it so good.

Just made a purchase from one of our TP members a PENTAX 40mm f2.8 pancake (y)
so that’s my latest photography purchase:)

Back